2022-2023 Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are we thinking there might be waitlist movement soon? I heard April 15 is a big day for people to make decisions by if they have multiple acceptances, wondering if anyone else has input on that!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Are we thinking there might be waitlist movement soon? I heard April 15 is a big day for people to make decisions by if they have multiple acceptances, wondering if anyone else has input on that!
The April 15th deadline is only for MD programs, where applicants have to narrow down their acceptances to 3 schools. So I’m not expecting it to affect DO waitlists too much right now. Big waitlist movement for MSUCOM will probably be early May! Fingers crossed!

Reactions: 2 users
does anyone know if there is a time constraint on the TB test requirement? for example if it can’t be completed prior to may?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed 3/29, thought my interview went pretty well but today I got an email that I've been placed on third tier waitlist. Should i consider this just a rejection at this point? What is the difference between a rejection and third tier waitlist. I can't find much info about third tier WL specifically..

About me: OOS, have done research, currently am working as a scribe, 506, 3.37 with strong upward trend (last 45 credits straight As).

Reactions: 1 user
Interviewed 3/29, thought my interview went pretty well but today I got an email that I've been placed on third tier waitlist. Should i consider this just a rejection at this point? What is the difference between a rejection and third tier waitlist. I can't find much info about third tier WL specifically..

About me: OOS, have done research, currently am working as a scribe, 506, 3.37 with strong upward trend (last 45 credits straight As).
Many people have been officially rejected after their interviews. While it may be disappointing, I don’t think they would give out third tier waitlist positions if there was absolutely no chance that third tier could enroll. It will just depend on how much waitlist movement there is. Between the three campuses, there are a good amount of total spots to be offered.
If MSUCOM is your only prospect this cycle, I would definitely recommend starting to work on the 23-24 application in case it doesn’t work out this cycle (I know I am), but I wouldn’t completely lose all hope.
It sounds like you have a lot of great things going for you as an applicant. Best of luck!

Many people have been officially rejected after their interviews. While it may be disappointing, I don’t think they would give out third tier waitlist positions if there was absolutely no chance that third tier could enroll. It will just depend on how much waitlist movement there is. Between the three campuses, there are a good amount of total spots to be offered.
If MSUCOM is your only prospect this cycle, I would definitely recommend starting to work on the 23-24 application in case it doesn’t work out this cycle (I know I am), but I wouldn’t completely lose all hope.
It sounds like you have a lot of great things going for you as an applicant. Best of luck!
Thank you for your insight, I will remain hopeful for now. Best of luck to you as well and I hope we can be classmates one day :)

• Care
Does everyone from first tier waitlist get in?
On past threads many people from T1 have not been receiving acceptances. So I was wondering if anyone had any information on how many people are waitlisted and actually gain acceptance?

On past threads many people from T1 have not been receiving acceptances. So I was wondering if anyone had any information on how many people are waitlisted and actually gain acceptance?
When I called, Tier 1 meant that you would’ve been accepted if there were enough spots. The number of accepted tier 1 applicants changes year to year, with many years accepting the entirety of the tier 1 pool. We’ll probably see a lot of movement in May, so sit tight until then.

Can anyone talk more about what the exams at MSUCOM is like? I am curious about whether it is more step content and style or more lecture focused in-house exams. How frequently are they scheduled?

Another question,
Is the anatomy course year-long or I somehow heard it could be a summer intensive anatomy boot camp?

Can anyone talk more about what the exams at MSUCOM is like? I am curious about whether it is more step content and style or more lecture focused in-house exams. How frequently are they scheduled?

Another question,
Is the anatomy course year-long or I somehow heard it could be a summer intensive anatomy boot camp?
As far as exams go, they are every 1-3 weeks depending the class. Fall semester, they were every 2 weeks like clockwork, but spring they have been every 1-2 weeks. Usually on a Monday morning. Although this may be different for your class as they are making changes with the curriculum. They are all in-house exams with board style questions. I only study the course packs provided by the school and do well, but others have also found outside resources to be helpful as well.

As far as anatomy goes, it is the only course that the upcoming first year class will take in the summer (July-August). So more of the summer intensive style. For this, there will be multiple choice written exams and then corresponding lab exams where you rotate around the cadavers and identify tagged structures. Not sure on the timing yet because it will be different for the upcoming class than it was for mine. Then, relevant anatomy will be sprinkled in to subsequent blocks. You can also take prosection as an elective in subsequent semesters if you are interested is dissecting the donors.

Reactions: 5 users
As far as exams go, they are every 1-3 weeks depending the class. Fall semester, they were every 2 weeks like clockwork, but spring they have been every 1-2 weeks. Usually on a Monday morning. Although this may be different for your class as they are making changes with the curriculum. They are all in-house exams with board style questions. I only study the course packs provided by the school and do well, but others have also found outside resources to be helpful as well.

As far as anatomy goes, it is the only course that the upcoming first year class will take in the summer (July-August). So more of the summer intensive style. For this, there will be multiple choice written exams and then corresponding lab exams where you rotate around the cadavers and identify tagged structures. Not sure on the timing yet because it will be different for the upcoming class than it was for mine. Then, relevant anatomy will be sprinkled in to subsequent blocks. You can also take prosection as an elective in subsequent semesters if you are interested is dissecting the donors.
Thank you for this information!

Members don't see this ad :)
I know there is a pretty good guess as to when MSU will start accepting off the waitlist (first week of may) but has anyone called to ask or confirm?

I know there is a pretty good guess as to when MSU will start accepting off the waitlist (first week of may) but has anyone called to ask or confirm?
I’ve also been wondering that. Stress levels are at an all time high waiting to hopefully get that call

Nice. Do you know if theres some sort of deadline to respond to canadians? I've seen something mentioned in the 2020-2021 application cycle thread. I'll quote it below:

When is the last day canadian's can get accepted? I believe they need to give us some time to secure visas.

The 2021-2022 thread suggests otherwise since there were Canadians who got accepted off the WL around may 10.

I called recently and asked. Admissions office said that the probability that the entirety of tier 1 getting admissions varies year to year, so they can't predict. They also said "sometime in May" when they see the most movement. They apologized for not being more definitive, but they genuinely have no idea when we may see the most movement, so we have to rely on past trends and hope for the best!

They need to hurry up with the WL otherwise they’ll be missing out on a future pediatric oncology neurosurgeon…

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I emailed admissions on Monday and they said "we will be able to offer seats after May 1"

I emailed admissions on Monday and they said "we will be able to offer seats after May 1"
Lol.. I’m gonna assume they haven’t yet bc of the whole CYMS glitch. I’m sure it affected DO waitlists a bit.

What happened with the CYMS glitch?
There was a glitch with choose your med school software incorporated into AMCAS which allows applicants with multiple acceptances to plan/confirm to enrol at a specific school which basically withdraws them from all other schools. There was glitch in this last week, resolved yesterday, that didn’t let programs access the data.

I hope the MSU admins sleep well throughout the weekend while we wait in agony

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if it is possible to defer my acceptance for a year? I was supposed to finished my second bachelors degree but couldn’t finish in time due to personal reasons. Would this be a valid reason? Does anyone know about the deferral process?

Does anyone know if it is possible to defer my acceptance for a year? I was supposed to finished my second bachelors degree but couldn’t finish in time due to personal reasons. Would this be a valid reason? Does anyone know about the deferral process?
Why would you delay medical school for a 2nd bachelors?

You might not realize how fortunate you have been to get several offers of admission as an international (Canadian) student.
The schools have seen you as well qualified right now to begin.
Delaying to complete a second bachelors degree would be very unwise because lightning won't strike you twice.

I was able to defer last year so I know of the process. You're not deferring your acceptance but rather you're deferring your application. So your application is reviewed again in the next cycle and the admission committee will decide whether or not to give you a seat in that incoming class in Aug/Sept. From what I heard in my discussion with the director, the majority of students that defer their application gain acceptance but its not guaranteed and they heavily emphasize this. But if you do get accepted again, you don't need to interview again or pay the deposit so you'll just do your pre-matriculation with the next class.

However, I don't think you should defer to finish a second bachelors especially if its not needed to matriculate into MSU. I deferred because of some very serious family/personal issues at the time that made it difficult for me to start school that year and the admissions committee took that into account.

Idk how they would feel if it is just to get a second bachelors degree so bear that in mind.

Also you'd have to send a letter explaining why you need a deferral of application and they will have to approve of it before putting your application in the next cycle.

Reactions: 3 users
Anybody hear anything? Or call them?
I emailed on Friday and Lyman replied seats are likely going to be available in the upcoming weeks. He worded it as the committee makes decisions and the office communicates the decision. Hopefully today is the day. I have analyzed past trends and usually the A calls happen not on Mondays ( for the past two cycles). A calls for 2021 were on T and F; for 2022 were on T and R. Best of luck to everyone waiting.

Just got the A call 10 mins ago! Interviewed 2/10, was on the 1st tier waitlist on 3/22.

Reactions: 6 users
I will be withdrawing my acceptance here later today. Good luck to anyone waiting on the waitlist. I hope my position goes to one of you soon! :D

Reactions: 6 users
I will be withdrawing my acceptance here later today. Good luck to anyone waiting on the waitlist. I hope my position goes to one of you soon! :D
Congrats on wherever you’re going and thanks for withdrawing in a timely manner! We waitlisters appreciate it.

Just got the A call 10 mins ago! Interviewed 2/10, was on the 1st tier waitlist on 3/22.
I also got the A call about an hour ago! Interviewed 2/22 and T1 WL 3/22. IS

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
do they also email you if you miss the call? Im out of the country for the next 10 days, and I’m worried that I’ll miss it (fingers crossed I get it 🤞)

do they also email you if you miss the call? Im out of the country for the next 10 days, and I’m worried that I’ll miss it (fingers crossed I get it 🤞)
Yes! I got an email 3 hours after the A call.

I got an email around 3. No call yet. Interviewed 3/3; first tier wl end of March. IS. Non trad.

why am i getting hopeful even though i’m on tier 2 😞

• Care
Reactions: 4 users