2022-2023 Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine (ICOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
First year here, any questions let me know. I chose this school over two other acceptances. So far very happy with my choice as they seem to genuinely care about the success of their students. professionalism focused and big emphasize on patient interaction early on.
i have met all the faculty at orientation and not a single bad energy. They have so many resources for many different type of students to make sure they succeed.

Also for individuals worrying about their relationship with rest of Idaho; we already ( before orientation) had 6-7 volunteering opportunities with different organizations in Idaho.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello @@neuda17
Thanks for helping us out Can you please share which 2 other schools you got in and how did you go about picking this school? Some of us will eventually be in a similar situation.

I would say if you're under 500, medical school might not be up your alley. Not due to incapability but because standardized and regular exams will become your

Hello @@neuda17
Thanks for helping us out Can you please share which 2 other schools you got in and how did you go about picking this school? Some of us will eventually be in a similar situation.
I got accepted to a school in Mississippi and Kansas.
I chose ICOM 1. Every student (12) I talked to were super happy about their choice. 2. Did research on the faculty 3.their match rate was very good for 1st graduates (something you don’t see with new DO schools) 4. They listen to their students. Our curriculum is a bit different from last years because of the feedback they received 5. They know most students will fail some exams in the beginning and encourage failure in order to learn and they support you through that. I have 3 other friends that are M4 now and they all failed their first anatomy exam. Something I brought up in my interview.
6. Due to location. 7. Their facility is small but brand new with everything you need. 8. Their culture is team work and not competition between students.
These are just some reasons.

Ofc i had some cons like having to take out private loan in first year and higher tuition

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted to a school in Mississippi and Kansas.
I chose ICOM 1. Every student (12) I talked to were super happy about their choice. 2. Did research on the faculty 3.their match rate was very good for 1st graduates (something you don’t see with new DO schools) 4. They listen to their students. Our curriculum is a bit different from last years because of the feedback they received 5. They know most students will fail some exams in the beginning and encourage failure in order to learn and they support you through that. I have 3 other friends that are M4 now and they all failed their first anatomy exam. Something I brought up in my interview.
6. Due to location. 7. Their facility is small but brand new with everything you need. 8. Their culture is team work and not competition between students.
These are just some reasons.

Ofc i had some cons like having to take out private loan in first year and higher tuition
I failed a few anatomy exams and still passed lmao. The exams are wildly hard.

• Wow
How does this school view OOS (TX) applicants? I already have two interviews lined up but I'm not sure if it's worth applying?

How does this school view OOS (TX) applicants? I already have two interviews lined up but I'm not sure if it's worth applying?
There’s a good number of people who are not from within their mission statement mentioned region. I’m originally from NY and I’m a current third year at ICOM.

hey everyone, I notice ICOM has a min MCAT of 500, are they lenient on this at all?
It depends on what else you include in your application. Just to give a little perspective, I’m someone who scored a 503 and my one subsection score was below their minimum. I received the “you’ve been sent to a review board” (or whatever terminology they used) email and was subsequently offered an interview and accepted. But, I’m also someone who went to graduate school, was involved in research, defended a thesis, worked within the healthcare field, had a bunch of other extra stuff, etc. If you’re someone coming straight out of undergrad and don’t have a lot of other things within your application, they may be less lenient about having a sub-500 score. Some schools have very hard cut offs and my experience may just be anecdotal, but I hope that helps you a little bit.

I also know people who are physicians now and had sub-500 MCAT scores so please don’t listen when someone says maybe med school isn’t for you. You just have to be honest with reviewing your application and see if you have other things that can make up for the score. If you don’t have a lot right now within your application to help with the score, that’s when you probably want to look into retaking or doing something to give you a boost. Best of luck!

It depends on what else you include in your application. Just to give a little perspective, I’m someone who scored a 503 and my one subsection score was below their minimum. I received the “you’ve been sent to a review board” (or whatever terminology they used) email and was subsequently offered an interview and accepted. But, I’m also someone who went to graduate school, was involved in research, defended a thesis, worked within the healthcare field, had a bunch of other extra stuff, etc. If you’re someone coming straight out of undergrad and don’t have a lot of other things within your application, they may be less lenient about having a sub-500 score. Some schools have very hard cut offs and my experience may just be anecdotal, but I hope that helps you a little bit.

I also know people who are physicians now and had sub-500 MCAT scores so please don’t listen when someone says maybe med school isn’t for you. You just have to be honest with reviewing your application and see if you have other things that can make up for the score. If you don’t have a lot right now within your application to help with the score, that’s when you probably want to look into retaking or doing something to give you a boost. Best of luck!
I didn’t apply to ICOM unfortunately (didn’t have the funds) but thank you for the second part of your comment, my app is stellar it’s just my MCAT, I have 32 other schools so I’m hoping the others say yes!

I didn’t apply to ICOM unfortunately (didn’t have the funds) but thank you for the second part of your comment, my app is stellar it’s just my MCAT, I have 32 other schools so I’m hoping the others say yes!
Have you tried explaining your situation to seek a fee waiver?

I feel sorry for you. I am sure you will nail a bunch of "A"s from the secondaries you submitted.

I feel sorry for you. I am sure you will nail a bunch of "A"s from the secondaries you submitted.
It’s alright man, just tough circumstances, parents divorced etc, best of luck to all of us!

Members don't see this ad :)
II received as of this morning. I signed up for Aug 29.

OOS (though in region, MT)
514/3.86/3.81
Look at my profile pic lol
Jul 8
Reapplicant, if that matters

• Haha
Funny enough, they're using signupgenius for their interview signups, so you can see how many people have already registered for an interview. Looks like a total of 27 people have scheduled an interview as of Aug 9 at 1323. The Aug 29 interview date is completely full and thee Aug 30 date is half full.

Funny enough, they're using signupgenius for their interview signups, so you can see how many people have already registered for an interview. Looks like a total of 27 people have scheduled an interview as of Aug 9 at 1323. The Aug 29 interview date is completely full and thee Aug 30 date is half full.
I'm on the student panel for the 29th!

I'm on the student panel for the 29th!
That's awesome! I will see you there :)

Any tips for interviewing at ICOM? My understanding is that it's traditional interview format. My big downfall last year was in my interview prep.

II received this morning, scheduled for Aug 29th! :)
IS
505/sGPA 3.58/cGPA 3.53
URM (LGBTQ+)
Secondary Submitted 7/12

Also looking for tips from ya _bonewizard if you have any! :D

That's awesome! I will see you there :)

Any tips for interviewing at ICOM? My understanding is that it's traditional interview format. My big downfall last year was in my interview prep.

II received this morning, scheduled for Aug 29th! :)
IS
505/sGPA 3.58/cGPA 3.53
URM (LGBTQ+)
Secondary Submitted 7/12

Also looking for tips from ya _bonewizard if you have any! :D

Just keep your heads and don't fret about it as best as possible. ICOM is one of the best schools I interviewed at and obviously the one I attended. I had a great experience interviewing. Your interviewers are human, so act like it. Know the website front and back if you do anything and have a good idea of Idaho and Boise.

Otherwise, relax.

Signupgenius form is sitting at 35 people total signed up for interviews.
The form has space for 150 interview signups between Aug 29 and Oct 5.

Thanks for the update, future Doc! How many do they matriculate?
Google says they are approved for 150 + 8%, giving a class size of 162. I imagine they'll do lots more interviews, but I have been unable to find those statistics online. If they're similar to PNWU, they will probably interview around 500.

Google says they are approved for 150 + 8%, giving a class size of 162. I imagine they'll do lots more interviews, but I have been unable to find those statistics online. If they're similar to PNWU, they will probably interview around 500.
I attended the white coat ceremony with my SO, and they mentioned that out of the 3000 that applied, 800 got interviews! Their class is 162 now I believe

I attended the white coat ceremony with my SO, and they mentioned that out of the 3000 that applied, 800 got interviews! Their class is 162 now I believe
Geez man, medical school is just freakin' competitive, MD, DO, whatever. Each school you apply to, you're shooting for like a 5% chance to get in, max. Lots of schools it's less.

@_bonewizard how do clerkships work at ICOM? There's not a ton of information on the website beyond that there is a lottery involved, the ability to do some of them within the Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Dakota region, and that some of them may be at other sites. Where specifically are clerkships done?

Additionally, how are clerkships scheduled? Are students on their own to cold call physicians? Or are core ones setup and you're on your own for electives?

@_bonewizard how do clerkships work at ICOM? There's not a ton of information on the website beyond that there is a lottery involved, the ability to do some of them within the Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Dakota region, and that some of them may be at other sites. Where specifically are clerkships done?

Additionally, how are clerkships scheduled? Are students on their own to cold call physicians? Or are core ones setup and you're on your own for electives?
Starting in the fall of your second year, they’ll have opportunities to go to presentations for each site. The sites are listed on ICOM’s website. Then you’ll be asked to submit a rank list of which ones your interested in. Yes, it’s a lotto system. I personally received my second choice. Most of your rotations should be within that given hub site, but some people do have to travel to other sites for certain rotations. I know some people in eastern ID have to go to Logan, UT for peds (just as an example.)
Everything is scheduled for you. They’ll send out a form and ask for you to put in what IM-subspecialties and surgical specialties you’re interested in. Be weary that although you may get a schedule, they can change it at any given point.

Last edited:
It sounds like 25% of the applicants get an II, and somewhere around 25% of those who get an II get admission offers ( Looks like lot waitlist movement in this school)

Reactions: 2 users
It sounds like 25% of the applicants get an II, and somewhere around 25% of those who get an II get admission offers ( Looks like lot waitlist movement in this school)
Well, of course there's a lot of Waitlist movement. They interview in August and give out acceptances super early. There's still a whole lot of application cycle left until May. I'm sure ICOM makes a shart-ton of money off forefitted deposits.

Well, of course there's a lot of Waitlist movement. They interview in August and give out acceptances super early. There's still a whole lot of application cycle left until May. I'm sure ICOM makes a shart-ton of money off forefitted deposits.
Strategically it makes sense to send out the “A”s early and get the deposits in their pocket .

Strategically it makes sense to send out the “A”s early and get the deposits in their pocket .
Absolutely. I don't plan to put down more than one deposit, two max (if i were to get into PNWU or COMP-NW, I'd probably go there instead). But if all goes well, the first DO school to accept me would get my deposit and I would become much more picky with where I interview.

Last edited:

It's a lottery system but you have areas all through the west and some in ND/SD and one in NY (but it's per application and only for those who really really want it).

Yes, you usually have to set those up yourself but you'll have help. Likely if you've made any connections you can capitalize on those. Otherwise just stick to the physicians you've already stuck with.

It's a lottery system but you have areas all through the west and some in ND/SD and one in NY (but it's per application and only for those who really really want it).

Yes, you usually have to set those up yourself but you'll have help. Likely if you've made any connections you can capitalize on those. Otherwise just stick to the physicians you've already stuck with.
I just want to emphasize the NY being for “those who really really want it” because NY is the only site that is no longer a lotto system. You have to submit a CV and conduct an interview with Stony Brook and they’ll pick who gets in. You’ll still partake in the regular lotto and if you get into NY, they’ll just give up your spot at whatever site you were originally assigned to.
Also no, you do not have to set up electives on your own. Like I said above, they send out a form and you’ll say what you’re interested in, but it really doesn’t matter what you say because they’ll put you in whatever is open. For our class, they had rotations on the form that were only for 4th years and so if you indicated you were interested in those, you wouldn’t be able to be put in them so they put you in whatever was open or would leave your block unfilled. Some people will have open rotations and you can look for your own, but that’s dependent on site and availability of electives. You can be like me and try to find your own rotation, but ICOM doesn’t really help with that. There’s only one person in charge of our schedules so helping each individual person is a lot to ask. She tries to accommodate each student as much as she can. They only focus on the block that’s up next so asking about future blocks, they won’t really start looking into that until you’re one block out from the one you want to request/change.

Last edited:
We were told yesterday that electives in the 4th year were up to us - but they do try to help you no matter what.

We were told yesterday that electives in the 4th year were up to us - but they do try to help you no matter what.
Correct, but 4th year electives are different because they’re audition rotations. Those would be more dependent on you since they are usually away audition rotations at the programs you’re interested in/interviewing at. You have electives in 3rd year, as well which will be set up by ICOM.

Last edited:
Is Casper required for this school? I saw this school as an available recipient in CASPER distribution

@@pacopollo

Thanks for the update. What is the interview duration, and does it show how many interviewers are in the signup genius? Yesterday, I was signing up for an II through signup genius, which displayed the interviewer's name and duration. Is it an open or closed file?

Thanks for the update. What is the interview duration, and does it show how many interviewers are in the signup genius? Yesterday, I was signing up for an II through signup genius, which displayed the interviewer's name and duration. Is it an open or closed file?

1. Itself is like 20 min, whole day is like 3 hours.
2. Open file

@_bonewizard

I was watching the pre-interview preparation videos and one thing caught my attention...particularly the financial aid video. So, ICOM doesn't qualify for federal student loans? Does everybody have to take out private loans?

@_bonewizard

I was watching the pre-interview preparation videos and one thing caught my attention...particularly the financial aid video. So, ICOM doesn't qualify for federal student loans? Does everybody have to take out private loans?
I believe it is the same for Noorda as they haven't graduated their first class yet

I believe it is the same for Noorda as they haven't graduated their first class yet
But didn't ICOM graduate its first class? I suppose the video just mentioned that they now have to go through the application process. They said they're hoping to have federal aid available for Fall 2023.

But didn't ICOM graduate its first class? I suppose the video just mentioned that they now have to go through the application process. They said they're hoping to have federal aid available for Fall 2023.
I might be wrong I thought the next year was the first graduating class but hopefully federal aid comes in for next fall