2022-2023 George Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Post-II alternate pool!

Interviewed on 01/26, DC resident.

Blowing my mind that I’m seven interviews deep with seven WLs, time to blast those update letters and so forth.
In a very similar boat.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Wait GW doesn’t have an “interview day” like with info sessions etc? I just got info/email about my specific interview but it’s only 30 min. Can someone provide insight on how it works, how it went, etc. ? Thanks

That is exactly it. Different from how other schools do it, but I enjoyed my interviewer.

Putting myself out there but did anyone just get an email from admissions saying that given the low likelihood of waitlist movement, they are removing your application from futher consideration? I was WL in december and put in letter of intent January. Really sucks because GW was my top choice and all I have are two other waitlists.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Putting myself out there but did anyone just get an email from admissions saying that given the low likelihood of waitlist movement, they are removing your application from futher consideration? I was WL in december and put in letter of intent January. Really sucks because GW was my top choice and all I have are two other waitlists.
wait what? You just got this email this morning?

I called admissions and they obviously couldn't say much but i asked if this was a new procedure and they said semi-new. So not sure what that says about anything but that maybe its a possibility. Or that i really screwed up something I didn't even know I did and thats why they wanted to withdraw my waitlist spot.

I called admissions and they obviously couldn't say much but i asked if this was a new procedure and they said semi-new. So not sure what that says about anything but that maybe its a possibility. Or that i really screwed up something I didn't even know I did and thats why they wanted to withdraw my waitlist spot.
lets see if anybody reports anything similar. that is strange and sorry that happened to you.

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
That just seems very odd...

+1. Was on alternate list since November

• Care
Received the email with extra information about Alternate status at around 10:12 AM ET.

Noticed this line here that I know wasn't there two years ago:
At any time in the process, your place in the alternate pool may be permanently withdrawn, if we believe the likelihood of receiving an offer admission from the Committee on Admissions is so low as to warrant this withdrawal. Such a withdrawal will always be communicated by email.

The waitlist withdrawal does seem like it is somewhat new.

Reactions: 2 users
Got so scared at the alternate pool information emails. I’m on my toes!

Just got the alternate pool email too. Good luck to everyone and I'm so nervous!
I wonder how many of us are on the waitlist? Can you like this post if so?

Reactions: 15 users
I got the same alternate pool email today, hoping for the best!!

That sucks, I am sorry! The waitlist is ranked, so I am guessing your application was lower on the ranking and, to save you the hope, they removed your app and let you know sooner that you're very unlikely to be offered a spot rather than make you wait till July to hear the same news. I am sorry, though. That is such a surprise bummer.

• Care
Also got the email this morning asking for a continued letter of interest

This is definitely not just happening to you and you did nothing wrong to get this result (remember that only a small subset of students are on SDN and actively reporting plus ShadowBoots77 also receiving it). I would put your efforts towards your other schools now! It is good they are letting you know before July. I believe they are attempting to slim down the alternate pool.

It's wild to me that they're rescinding WLs before seeing how many WLers choose not to send the continued letter of interest. Seems more fair and logical to whittle down the pool by interest before removing applicants that really want to go there. I'm genuinely sorry to those this happened to.

i didn't, just sent regular update letters when i had something to share!

I sent updates and/or communication expressing strong interest every month (including right before alternate list placement). skipped February due to travel and got cut 3/3 :/ it could be unrelated though. I’m guessing they met as planned in March and pared down the waitlist based on xyz factors. Maybe they didn’t like my updates, who knows. I’m semi-glad they didn’t string me along if this was going to be the outcome. Plus they made a difficult decision for me- I would have been torn between them and other schools eventually..

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone not received a decision post-II? I'm coming up on 12 weeks post-II, and I'm not sure how to interpret the silence. Maybe I should send an update letter?

Has anyone not received a decision post-II? I'm coming up on 12 weeks post-II, and I'm not sure how to interpret the silence. Maybe I should send an update letter?

I wrote an update about 5.5 weeks in and got alternate 2 days later at 6 week mark. Hard to tell what you should do because if you look back in October someone sent an update and got accepted. They happened to post that right after I sent one. Was a bit irritated at the time b/c it likely made my update look contrived…something to keep in mind with the forums. I’ve heard subtle or even overt references to SDN & Reddit posts sprinkled throughout the multiple events I’ve attended, so they probably do read them!

I wrote an update about 5.5 weeks in and got alternate 2 days later at 6 week mark. Hard to tell what you should do because if you look back in October someone sent an update and got accepted. They happened to post that right after I sent one. Was a bit irritated at the time b/c it likely made my update look contrived…something to keep in mind with the forums. I’ve heard subtle or even overt references to SDN & Reddit posts sprinkled throughout the multiple events I’ve attended, so they probably do read them!
I'm in a similar position as well. Sent in an update around 5 weeks post-II, alternate list the next day. Have sent in an update / letter of intent around every 4-6 weeks since then, and received the alternate list interest email this morning

I'm in a similar position as well. Sent in an update around 5 weeks post-II, alternate list the next day. Have sent in an update / letter of intent around every 4-6 weeks since then, and received the alternate list interest email this morning

Ok, so maybe they noticed I skipped a month. Dang it, I should have sent in those letters of support quicker. That was my next move since I noticed the portal has that option. Had a couple lined up with formerly affiliated doctors etc, but got distracted :/ anyone left in the running might look into that. Can always call or email to verify it’s appropriate…anyways, good luck!! It seems like a stellar school and Got the same impression in person

Ok, so maybe they noticed I skipped a month. Dang it, I should have sent in those letters of support quicker. That was my next move since I noticed the portal has that option. Had a couple lined up with formerly affiliated doctors etc, but got distracted :/ anyone left in the running might look into that. Can always call or email to verify it’s appropriate…anyways, good luck!! It seems like a stellar school and Got the same impression in person
I honestly don’t think the quantity of letters matters much at all. I wouldn’t try to make a method out of the madness. A friend of mine has sent zero communication since interview and is still on the WL. They have their own internal system and one letter probably isn’t make or break.

I honestly don’t think the quantity of letters matters much at all. I wouldn’t try to make a method out of the madness. A friend of mine has sent zero communication since interview and is still on the WL. They have their own internal system and one letter probably isn’t make or break.

I appreciate that. But when I see posts on IG with practicing MDs reporting they had to call the admissions office consistently (not GW in this case) at #100+ on the waitlist to get their spot, sort of makes me feel like I didn’t try hard enough 🥲

Last edited:
I
I appreciate that. But when I see posts on IG with practicing MDs reporting they had to call the admissions office daily (not GW in this case) at #100+ on the waitlist to get their spot, sort of makes me feel like I didn’t try hard enough 🥲
thought calling was bad practice

I appreciate that. But when I see posts on IG with practicing MDs reporting they had to call the admissions office daily (not GW in this case) at #100+ on the waitlist to get their spot, sort of makes me feel like I didn’t try hard enough 🥲
I also wouldn't overthink it too much. I'm so sorry that happened, and I def know what it feels like to rethink and take apart everything you did as the reason for the bad outcome :\ the most we can do is just move through it and remember that so much of this is beyond our control

I feel like there’s been a lot more reported WL than A’s recently?
Best of luck to those in the the running still & congrats to those accepted into GW/and or other med schools!

I just wanted to say, this is an incredibly/extremely stressful time for all of us! Applying to medical school, has been one of the hardest things I've ever done thus far. I seriously mean that. Anybody who states that this is an easy process is wack. So I completely understand what you must be going through and thinking all the time that "gosh, what could I have done differently or better. I should have said this instead of that." Totally get it. We just gotta keep on running! I am so sorry that you did not receive the news that you would have liked to hear, and I sincerely wish that you get much better news down the line! Hang in there!

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Can you all see your previous updates on the portal? I can't, but have definitely gotten the emails when I submitted updates.

I

thought calling was bad practice
Me too, I've never called a school once. By the way, I edited my original post because it should have said called admissions office "consistently" rather than daily. Sorry about that!