2022-2023 Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
One of the reason ARCOM got knocked was for their OPP department chair not meeting a requirement which will be fixed within the time frame.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you happen to know what the requirement was? I'm just curious.
I think the issue was he left? So the position was vacant at the time they were being audited, unless I heard that wrong

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think the issue was he left? So the position was vacant at the time they were being audited, unless I heard that wrong
Yeah the OMM department head left. Since I dont much care for OMM to begin with, its not a red flag for me.
The not letting ppl see your exam key is another matter though.

They don’t let you see previous questions. But you get a break down of how many questions you messed from each professor, how many you missed from each lecture that was taught. It’s not like they don’t give you any idea of what you need to improve on. I would be happy to show anyone who wants in my messages what the break downs look like.

So I interviewed here today and gotta say I was beyond impressed. ARCOM is a real contender in my mind. Their initiatives and opportunities seem really legit. Lots of funding, resources, and projects. The faculty seems nice, open door policy everywhere. Students seem generally happy and current students say nobody cares about the alleged mandatory attendance when under 80%. Plus no issue for me anyway. Business casual dress code during the day, scrubs for labs. Housing in 3-5 minute walking distance with tons of amenities. Campus seems super safe. Overall, a great experience and I would definitely go here!

Reactions: 4 users
Heard there was going to be flood warnings. Let us know how it goes?
I wish I could have gone. Can’t really afford another 600 dollar ticket though.

Second glance was great! A dedication of the new park on campus, extended time with dean and CEO, followed by dinner with faculty and students at new research facility. Every student I spoke to indicated they are very well supported by faculty. Mental health and wellness a priority. Of course brand new facilities and excellent match rates. I’m 98% sure this is my final destination.

Reactions: 4 users
I submitted my primary like 2 days ago, is it too late ?
Depends on your stats and story. Shouldn’t be for DO, I don’t think but really only one way to find out..
Second glance was great! A dedication of the new park on campus, extended time with dean and CEO, followed by dinner with faculty and students at new research facility. Every student I spoke to indicated they are very well supported by faculty. Mental health and wellness a priority. Of course brand new facilities and excellent match rates. I’m 98% sure this is my final destination.
I was very impressed with everything and everyone. Would definitely be a solid choice!

A just now via phone call! 🙌

Reactions: 5 users
Any current students have advice for getting off the waitlist? Do you know if its ranked or it goes by chronological order? I interviewed in September. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Any current students have advice for getting off the waitlist? Do you know if its ranked or it goes by chronological order? I interviewed in September. :(
I read through last year's thread and someone posted an email they got from ARCOM stating that the waitlist wasn't ranked, so I'm assuming that means they go in order. Also, if I recall correctly most of the people from last year's thread that were waitlisted got off the waitlist.

Reactions: 1 users
Depends on your stats and story. Shouldn’t be for DO, I don’t think but really only one way to find out..

I was very impressed with everything and everyone. Would definitely be a solid choice!
I was super impressed w the school s transparency and genuine interest in students’ ACADEMIC success.

how to withdraw an acceptance? is there somewhere on the portal to indicate that or email admissions?

I was super impressed w the school s transparency and genuine interest in students’ ACADEMIC success.
Agreed. They seem super helpful and intentional.
Did u get an A in 1 week from interview day? That s awesome. Hopefully I ll get a call next week🙏
Sure did, I didn’t expect it either..
how to withdraw an acceptance? is there somewhere on the portal to indicate that or email admissions?
I would email and if you don’t hear within a few days you should call. I withdrew from 2 schools after getting an acceptance and email worked fine.

Do you guys get hand written follow up thank you note from school after interview? Love how much they pay attention to the student they interview.

I am currently applying (super late I know) and have read from the ARCOM page of the chooseDO site that Casper is optional, but highly recommended at ARCOM. I was wondering if the majority of yall that have received secondaries and acceptances have taken Casper? Thanks!

I am currently applying (super late I know) and have read from the ARCOM page of the chooseDO site that Casper is optional, but highly recommended at ARCOM. I was wondering if the majority of yall that have received secondaries and acceptances have taken Casper? Thanks!
Yup, have been accepted here and indeed took the Casper!

I took it and got accepted but I scored first quartile so don’t think it mattered in my acceptance.

I read through last year's thread and someone posted an email they got from ARCOM stating that the waitlist wasn't ranked, so I'm assuming that means they go in order. Also, if I recall correctly most of the people from last year's thread that were waitlisted got off the waitlist.
Thanks for the info!!!! Do you think it's possible to hear back in December when those who have A's don't place their deposits ?

Thanks for the info!!!! Do you think it's possible to hear back in December when those who have A's don't place their deposits ?
I would assume so, yes. They also said there is a LOT of waitlist movement after that deposit deadline.

I would assume so, yes. They also said there is a LOT of waitlist movement after that deposit deadline.
The initial December deposit due date is what you're referring to for waitlist movement?

The initial December deposit due date is what you're referring to for waitlist movement?
I just remember at my interview day that someone asked when there starts to be significant waitlist movement, and I believe Kelly from admissions said "after the deposit deadline" in her response. I don't know much more beyond that.

I just remember at my interview day that someone asked when there starts to be significant waitlist movement, and I believe Kelly from admissions said "after the deposit deadline" in her response. I don't know much more beyond that.
You have about a month left to pick-what's your top choice?

A 11/16 OOS Oklahoman but offer give up the seat. Good luck someone!

So I've been accepted at ARCOM, NYIT-Jonesboro and Pikeville. Can someone help me out and tell me which is better?

I’m planning on throwing my deposit down for ARCOM and seeing if I get off the WL for my state school in April. Either way I’m excited to go to school there if that is where I end up. I thoroughly enjoyed the interview and the campus.

Forgot to update. RIP. Post interview rejection. Although my interviewers were nice, I felt like my answers were "bad" to them. The faculty interviewer often interrupted me to correct or give advice on my answers which was weird. But I appreciate it because this allowed me to have better answers for other interviews at other schools. But idk exactly if this is the reason because one of the attending students mentioned this faculty member did the same to him when he interviewed lol. Oh well. Arkansas was really pretty though and I had fun overall. Learning experience for sure!! ☺️

Reactions: 3 users
Does anybody know what its meant for the WL to not be ranked?

Does anybody know what its meant for the WL to not be ranked?
I think it means they will draw from the whole pool of waitlisted applicants when making offers, and that they will re-review applicants before making offers off the waitlist. A ranked waitlist would mean the decisions have already been made and you have a place in line, and that many people must be accepted before your get your acceptance.

I think it means they will draw from the whole pool of waitlisted applicants when making offers, and that they will re-review applicants before making offers off the waitlist. A ranked waitlist would mean the decisions have already been made and you have a place in line, and that many people must be accepted before your get your acceptance.
it could also mean offers are made to waitlisted applicants at random? But I highly doubt that's the case, since the other places I've heard of with unranked lists do that so they can re-review

Does anybody know the chances of getting off of the WL for this school?

Does anybody know the chances of getting off of the WL for this school?
On interview day, Kelly said there is usually a lot of waitlist movement in the Spring. My personal opinion is that it's a very new school and also a pretty expensive private school, so I would assume that many accepted students might take an acceptance from their state schools, other more affordable schools, other more well-established schools over ARCOM. Again, that last part is not fact, just my opinion :).

On interview day, Kelly said there is usually a lot of waitlist movement in the Spring. My personal opinion is that it's a very new school and also a pretty expensive private school, so I would assume that many accepted students might take an acceptance from their state schools, other more affordable schools, other more well-established schools over ARCOM. Again, that last part is not fact, just my opinion :).
ARCOM is actually one of the least expensive private DO schools. I do agree that people will usually go with more established schools than newer schools though.

ARCOM is actually one of the least expensive private DO schools. I do agree that people will usually go with more established schools than newer schools though.
This is true, but what I meant to say is, it is a private school, hence tuition is expensive. Cost of attendance comes down to about 80k, when for state schools OOS comes to around 60k and IS comes to like 40k. Definitely could have phrased it better, but I just meant in general private school = more expensive than public school.

Before that one person immediately jumps at this post and is like omg wait that's not all schools or omg wait those numbers aren't right, I am just GENERALIZING I know they're not exactly correct for each and every school lol.

Forgot to update. RIP. Post interview rejection. Although my interviewers were nice, I felt like my answers were "bad" to them. The faculty interviewer often interrupted me to correct or give advice on my answers which was weird. But I appreciate it because this allowed me to have better answers for other interviews at other schools. But idk exactly if this is the reason because one of the attending students mentioned this faculty member did the same to him when he interviewed lol. Oh well. Arkansas was really pretty though and I had fun overall. Learning experience for sure!! ☺️
Any chance you wanna share where they corrected you? I wanna laugh at this weirdness with you that you experienced.

Any chance you wanna share where they corrected you? I wanna laugh at this weirdness with you that you experienced.
I've received some private messages in response to things I've posted, sending me exact numbers for statistics that I commented general things about. Just people wanting to share, but also people being pedantic I suppose XDDD

I've received some private messages in response to things I've posted, sending me exact numbers for statistics that I commented general things about. Just people wanting to share, but also people being pedantic I suppose XDDD
Oh wait you were definitely not responding to my comment there, WHOOPS

• Haha
I was about to say the same thing. Outside of the public state DO schools and LECOM and WCUCOM, ARCOM is the cheapest school. I did hear that. they raised tuition this year. Still put in COL and its very affordable.

Yeah so like the why our school question, I would say something like because of it being a new school, I really appreciate the open door policy and seemingly the better involvement of the faculty among the students so students could have extra help if they needed it and support. The interviewer would stop me here and say that at ARCOM, being a self sufficient, well organized learner is also extremely important as is it is at any other medical school.

I don't disagree, but you can see how it seems like my answer hit a wall. This was similar to many of my responses. But I felt like he was trying to help me out as a student in general so I just thanked him for the input. I don't want to get into the other more specific interview questions out of respect to the confidentiality document and ARCOM.

I still haven’t heard back from my interview 11/18 .. kinda freaking out & the wait is killing me🙃

• Care
Are they still sending out interview invites ?