2021-2022 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
for the shadowing question, does it have to be strictly DO? I only have an MD shadowing experience but he used a somewhat holistic approach
There's a check box to select if they were DO or MD so you can do both

Members don't see this ad.

There's a check box to select if they were DO or MD so you can do both
yeah sorry I was actually referring to the first question in the essay questions "observing a DO..." but I guess it has to be a DO. I was just hoping that I would write one essay for shadowing instead of the two lol

Reactions: 1 user
Is anyone writing quite less than 500 words for the prompts? I have been diligently meeting the word/character requirements, so I would have usually aimed for 450-500 words for these prompts, but I just dont have that much to say...

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone writing quite less than 500 words for the prompts? I have been diligently meeting the word/character requirements, so I would have usually aimed for 450-500 words for these prompts, but I just dont have that much to say...
I think I averaged 300-400 words with the exception of one where I got like 480

Reactions: 1 users
They told me my app was incomplete because I’m missing a science letter, but I have two and I’m a reapplicant.

i told them this and they said they won’t consider my science letter because I’m a reapplicant and I need a new one? I did not know this was a thing? Where does it say this.

They told me my app was incomplete because I’m missing a science letter, but I have two and I’m a reapplicant.

i told them this and they said they won’t consider my science letter because I’m a reapplicant and I need a new one? I did not know this was a thing? Where does it say this.

I've never heard of this with any school but that sucks

Me neither, I’ve reapplied to almost 30 DO schools none have this. I’ve searched their site I can’t find that written anywhere.
So they do look through your application somewhat before sending a secondary? I guess that’s good to know they don’t just take everyone’s money

So they do look through your application somewhat before sending a secondary? I guess that’s good to know they don’t just take everyone’s money
Well they sent me a secondary and I paid for it, this email was after that.

So Im a canadian and the only DO shadowing I did was virtual (2 sessions 1 hour each), which counts according to the adcoms I emailed. Should I answer the first or second question on the secondary?

1. What experience observing a DO solidified your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician? (This could be a formal shadowing experience (one-on-one with a physician), scribing, observing your own physician, friend, or family member who is a DO).
  2. If you have not had the opportunity to shadow/observe a DO why is it important to you to become an osteopathic physician?

I feel like if I answer the first question they wont take me seriously because its virtual shadowing.
Hello fellow Canadian! I don't have a perfect answer but from what I've heard from others on SDN and Reddit when I've mentioned my lack of DO hours, the general sentiment is that most schools are understanding that Canadians just don't have many opportunities to shadow DOs. I have zero DO shadowing and was just going to talk about why I align with the philosophy.

I would suggest that you mention your virtual DO shadowing still because it's better than nothing and then use that to start talking about your why DO. I don't think anyone will fault you for using what you have.

Also, did you virtually shadow a local DO within Canada or did one of these virtual shadowing opportunities happen to feature a DO? Still hoping to get some hours even if it's not for the application so I'm just curious.

I am. 150-300 words about on all of the responses. Better to be concise then to ramble at least in my eyes.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
how are y'all approaching the "what does diversity, equity, and inclusion mean to you" question?

how are y'all approaching the "what does diversity, equity, and inclusion mean to you" question?
I talked about each one separately. I summarized my diversity essay then talked about my experiences in health equity and inclusion

are you sure? double check because that doesn't make sense

For the extenuating circumstances essay question, if you haven't experienced anything major (other than a few low grades in undergrad) is anyone putting "N/A" ?

Has anyone heard back form COMP Pomona yet for the secondary app? I received COMP NW 7/23 but haven't heard back from Pomona. Thx

Any word back on your CA secondary?
I received it the day after I emailed them. Not sure if they actually saw my email since they did not reply and I heard other people received it on 8/2.

Right? Like what if I didn’t take any more classes. I don’t know what to do but that’s what they told me
yeah, that is really weird. Did you submit them through interfolio or did the recommenders submit them?

I had them through AACOMAS from last year
i am not sure if I understand. So you used these last year when you applied. Now, you are also using them this year. However, how were they uploaded for this year's application?

i am not sure if I understand. So you used these last year when you applied. Now, you are also using them this year. However, how were they uploaded for this year's application?
I originally uploaded them through interfolio, but if you reapply AACOMAS will hold
Your letters in their system. So the issue for them is not having my letter but the fact I used the same letters.

I originally uploaded them through interfolio, but if you reapply AACOMAS will hold
Your letters in their system. So the issue for them is not having my letter but the fact I used the same letters.
oh wow. I didn't know you could do that. I know for AMCAS nothing is stored.

I think your best bet is to reach out to your writers and have them update the letters (at least the date). Delete your old letters and create new requests on AACOMAS. Have your writers upload the letter directly again or have them upload it to Interfolio.

OR you can just upload the ones you have in Interfolio already. Just delete the old ones and create new requests. I don't think the problem is that they are the same but that they were "stored" in AACOMAS from the last cycle. I know plenty of people that have reapplied here and have used the same letters.

Last edited:
hey guys I'm having a hard time understanding what they focus on the most. My app is all about community service and working with underserved populations, would it be okay to talk about this for "why us"? they mentioned community service briefly tho but I feel like their mission is pretty generic

hey guys I'm having a hard time understanding what they focus on the most. My app is all about community service and working with underserved populations, would it be okay to talk about this for "why us"? they mentioned community service briefly tho but I feel like their mission is pretty generic
I'm sure this would be more than okay to talk about!

Notice to Re-applicants We will consider letters of recommendation for a second consecutive application only; you only need to provide one additional letter of recommendation from a science professor. If your previous application was incomplete, you need to provide the necessary letters to complete this application. If you are applying for the third consecutive year, or if your last application was prior to one year, we require current letters of recommendation.

Once you pay the application fee, your app Is finalized, correct?

Once you pay the application fee, your app Is finalized, correct?
yes I think so. I just paid mine but when I log in it still tells me to submit payment. are you having the same problem?

yes I think so. I just paid mine but when I log in it still tells me to submit payment. are you having the same problem?
I had the same problem. I checked mine later in the day and it had the green checkmark.

Reactions: 1 users
+3 OOS, maybe i got screened out. Does anyone know if they have GPA/MCAT minimums?
I'm waiitng too. I would like to know too. I didn't see any screen when I first checked but i might have missed it

Received both secondaries today!
Anyone having issues submitting after paying the app fee? The application won’t let me finalize and submit. It just keeps bringing me back to the payment page and I can’t go further :/ (for both apps)

If anyone has questions about COMP feel free to reach out! I’m a first year on the Leb campus but we work very closely with Pomona!

Does anyone else feel like some of the secondary questions ask the same thing in different ways?

I'm running out of things to talk about because most of my significant events can be applicable to several of these prompts.

Does anyone else feel like some of the secondary questions ask the same thing in different ways?

I'm running out of things to talk about because most of my significant events can be applicable to several of these prompts.
Yes I can’t believe it’s 500 words each !!!!

Did anyones application status say"awaiting payment" after paying and submitting the application (yes it went through and i was charged)?
Yes! I went through the payment page and now that’s all it says and I cant move forward. I emailed my admissions rep and they said that means the payment is processing. Might take up to 48 hours. If it isn’t resolved by then, contact someone