2021-2022 UT Houston (McGovern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is anyone else here applying MD/PhD? I noticed in last years thread they mentioned you have to mail in your secondary, I just wanted to confirm if this was correct
Are there MD/PhD specific essays here? Still waiting on secondary...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
IS II at 12:06PM CST! Was complete June 17

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if this school reviews apps In chronological order? For those of us who completed at similar times to those getting II’s. @wysdoc

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if this school reviews apps In chronological order? For those of us who completed at similar times to those getting II’s. @wysdoc
No it's not in order of when you submitted, although of course those who haven't submitted yet can't be looked at until later.

No it's not in order of when you submitted, although of course those who haven't submitted yet can't be looked at until later.
There is a complete step, there is a review step and an interview invite. I have heard some people can take lot more time than others to review..

Members don't see this ad :)
II this morning! Complete 7/6, interview for 10/1

Reactions: 2 users
II received this afternoon! Complete 7/10, Interview on 10/8. Dates available are still 10/1, 10/8, 10/13, and 10/15.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone have Mcgovern listed on their TMSDAS school rank but hasn't gotten and II yet? I don't know if it is a glitch or I missed an email or something. Freaking out rn

Does anyone have Mcgovern listed on their TMSDAS school rank but hasn't gotten and II yet? I don't know if it is a glitch or I missed an email or something. Freaking out rn
I do too. I’m not sure what to make if it. Although the app was “in review” after submitting secondary according to the email, it still says incomplete on the application portal because my 4th letter isn’t in, so I’m not even sure if it would be possible for me to get an interview yet?

How exactly do you view this? From my understanding, it doesn't appear until you have completed an interview at a school and they update your status.

How exactly do you view this? From my understanding, it doesn't appear until you have completed an interview at a school and they update your status.
Here's my explanation from another thread: #21

You're right, @hadv3r a school should show up in this area only after you have interviewed, & giving the school some time to enter the names of recently interviewed folks.

Reactions: 1 users
Here's my explanation from another thread: #21

You're right, @hadv3r a school should show up in this area only after you have interviewed, & giving the school some time to enter the names of recently interviewed folks.
Ok, thank you for the explanation! It is strange that they're even able to see McGovern without being interviewed yet and without even being given a II. Most likely this is a weird glitch, but they could be offering a II soon!

Even if you missed an II email, it'd still show up on the 'communications' tab in your McGovern portal! Also for what it's worth, I got an II from McGovern a few weeks ago (but haven't interviewed yet) and they don't show up for me on TMDSAS so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Even if you missed an II email, it'd still show up on the 'communications' tab in your McGovern portal! Also for what it's worth, I got an II from McGovern a few weeks ago (but haven't interviewed yet) and they don't show up for me on TMDSAS so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
@TheGranolaKing if all is working as it should, a school won't show up on your rankable list until after you have gone to the interview.

Does McGovern screen before sending secondaries? I received secondaries from all Texas schools besides McGovern over 1 month ago. My ugpa is kinda low, 3.45. But my grad is 4.0 and MCAT is 510

They do a holistic screen also and they reed your primary
Idk if that’s true.. Their website:

“Candidates will receive an email invitation from our school containing the link and instructions to complete our secondary application after we have received their complete application from TMDSAS”

Last edited:
Are the interviews open or closed file this year? I see that they are usually open file but I'm wondering if they're changing that since its virtual this year?

Are the interviews open or closed file this year? I see that they are usually open file but I'm wondering if they're changing that since its virtual this year?
Open file, but they didn’t have access to mcat and gpa.

II received two days ago. I was completed mid July.

IS II received, complete 6/3!

Reactions: 3 users
If you don't mind, what are your stats? And this gives me hope if you were that early and just got a II
LM 83! And yes, definitely wasn't expecting it - they may have just looked back at an earlier pile?

LM 83! And yes, definitely wasn't expecting it - they may have just looked back at an earlier pile?
That’s a very impressive LizzyM! I really wonder how they stratify these apps if it took them this long to look at yours considering your score. This process really does feel random at times.

That’s a very impressive LizzyM! I really wonder how they stratify these apps if it took them this long to look at yours considering your score. This process really does feel random at times.
I would maybe take it as a sign that stats aren't as much a priority for them and they definitely consider other things first? But who knows honestly - if you're an early app, I definitely wouldn't count yourself out at all!

I would maybe take it as a sign that stats aren't as much a priority for them and they definitely consider other things first? But who knows honestly - if you're an early app, I definitely wouldn't count yourself out at all!
Yeah each school is unique in that regard. I appreciate the kind words! McGovern is my top choice and I really hope I get some love. Of course it’s still early in the cycle so there’s still time. Hope you kill your interview

McGovern is a very interest focused school. Even after they interview you, they are gauzing your interest more than your credentials. The fact that they are interviewing someone is a confirmation of their interest in you but once you go there it is all dependent on the love you show them.

Can anyone who has already interviewed confirm if there is an MMI prompt in any of the interviews? I saw somewhere that there was but was originally under the impression that it was just 2 traditional 1-on-1 interviews.

Can anyone who has already interviewed confirm if there is an MMI prompt in any of the interviews? I saw somewhere that there was but was originally under the impression that it was just 2 traditional 1-on-1 interviews.
My McGovern interview (9/1) was the traditional 1-on-1 interview style. It was a very enjoyable experience that put me at ease and gave me the chance to show my best side and get a great feel for the staff and overall atmosphere of the school. There was not a whiff of MMI anywhere!

My McGovern interview (9/1) was the traditional 1-on-1 interview style. It was a very enjoyable experience that put me at ease and gave me the chance to show my best side and get a great feel for the staff and overall atmosphere of the school. There was not a whiff of MMI anywhere!
I interviewed and it was traditional not MMI
Thank you! I thought this was the case but just wanted to make sure since I saw that somewhere. @oldladyinshoe Glad to hear it was a good experience, looking forward to doing mine now!

So if we already interviewed and sent thank you emails, is there anything else we could do?
Did any of the interviewers ask you if you are seriously considering attending the school? Did you tell anyone during interviews that you really like UTH?

You can submit updates and/or letters of interest if you dont make the cut on October 15th.

I told them in the interview and in my thank you email that McGovern was my very number one school (which it is) and I spent like a solid 2 min raving about how much I love it :) So I think maybe I am good hopefully
if you did that you are golden.. You would think people would remember to express their interest but is not always common when they are interviewing at half a dozen schools in a span of 4 weeks because they cant say that at every school. So it is easy for the school to figure out that they may not be your top choice.

I was hoping for some decorum advice. I had a fairly atypical but phenomenal interview experience at McGovern on 9/1. I figured the school was out of my reach and didn't expect an interview but I got one all the same, which I was thrilled about.

On interview day, we were told that our interviews were limited to 20 minutes with a HARD cutoff time of 30 minutes because the interviewers only had a 10 minute break between interviewing. My first interview ended after about 23 minutes and went quite well - I was able to demonstrate my interest and accurately portray myself.

The second interview was the last interview slot before the student Q&A panel which ran from 12-1. In this time, interviewees were supposed to ask questions of students and eat their lunches.

My interviewer and I clicked almost immediately and had a very engaging and open conversation about me, the campus, them, my aspirations in the medical world, etc. Lots of laughing and smiling and after about 28 minutes the interviewer switched to a future tense when talking; "When you are here in the Fall, I will be teaching one of your first classes and we can talk more about x/y then". Unclear if this was just a formality or kindness on their part, but there was a clear switch in the tense in which they spoke.

Seeing the time, the interviewer asked if i had anything at noon. I told them about the student panel (12-1) and informed them I had asked students lots of questions at the social the night before. They indicated that I could leave or continue talking with them, so, I continued our conversation.

We talked for another 25 minutes (55 minutes total) before we said our farewells and the interviewer told me I could find his email and cell on the internet and encouraged me to reach out if I had any further questions or if i wanted to speak more.

I returned to the main zoom room, apologized to the admin for my tardiness, and asked to be placed in the student panel breakout room.

After the student panel ended, I saw an email that had been sent from one of the admin asking me to return to the main zoom room (at about 12:25) and I also saw they had called my cell asking If i would be returning to the interview day events right before I finished talking with my interviewer.

Upon seeing this, I emailed the admin back and apologized again for my tardiness, explained that we got lost in the interview and thanked them for reaching out to me and giving me the opportunity to interview and for considering me as an applicant.

I am curious as to the appropriateness of reaching out to my 2nd interviewer again via cell/email as he had recommended to thank him again and basically send a letter of intent. I know there is a-lot of debate over followups, thank you's, and letters of intent in general, and it varies by school. Given my atypical interview and the fact that it is McGovern, which TxVandy has indicated is a VERY interest focused school, do yall think it would be wise to followup with a thank-you/Letter of intent in this manner? All thoughts and opinions appreciated, thanks you guys!

Please read my earlier answers on this forum. UTH wants to know if you love them and one of the interviewers is tasked with validating whether your interest is serious.

they hold a lot of their seats for match because they dont want to admit people who want to go elsewhere.

Please read my earlier answers on this forum. UTH wants to know if you love them and one of the interviewers is tasked with validating whether your interest is serious.

they hold a lot of their seats for match because they dont want to admit people who want to go elsewhere.
Ok! Thank you! I was unsure if the specifics of my interaction had any bearing on the decorum going forward - thank you again!

I know McGovern offers a lot of prematch spots, does anyone know how many exactly?

I know McGovern offers a lot of prematch spots, does anyone know how many exactly?
TMDSAS does not track or publish that data at this time. (I asked last year)
Also gotta remember that those who prematch to a school might end up matriculating somewhere else.
Let's see how it plays out this cycle :)

Can September interviewees receive 10/15 prematch offers?