2021-2022 University of Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Welp just got an R. Good luck to the rest /:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
CA resident. Just received the mission statement request today.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mission statement? What do you mean? The secondary essays are posted online and none of them regard a mission statement.
Mission Statement is only for applicants outside of Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, and Idaho. It has to be completed to see if your mission aligns with theirs. if they think you could potentially be a good fit, they will send a secondary.

What the heck is the point of a preliminary app if they're just going to screen for stats anyways?! Oh well. Secondary recieved.
Am LM 78 with a 52X and got rejected pre-secondary. They are not just doing a stats screen.

Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
The secondary prompts are as follows:

5 additional short essays (250-word limit each)

• How have your experiences prepared you to be a physician?
  • What perspectives or experiences do you bring that would enrich the class?
  • What obstacles have you experienced and how have you overcome them?
  • How have societal inequities in the U.S. affected you or patients you have worked with?
  • Please share how COVID-19 has impacted you, your family, your community, and/or the patients that you would like to serve. (NEW for the Fall 2022 cycle)
For re-applicants: From your most recent application until now, how have you strengthened your application?
For re-applicants not offered an interview, read more.

Can someone post the OOS mission statement question? I am OOS and got emailed today to submit my CASPer to them (I had been waiting to see if I got a secondary first to save $12 lol) so I believe I will get this question soon but want to get a head start. Thanks!

Reactions: 2 users
Can someone post the OOS mission statement question? I am OOS and got emailed today to submit my CASPer to them (I had been waiting to see if I got a secondary first to save $12 lol) so I believe I will get this question soon but want to get a head start. Thanks!
Same boat as you. Also got the CASPer email today - I thought you only needed to send it post secondary so I held off as well.

Hope to get more secondaries sent out

It may be hard to find these students as UW accepts 96% from the WWAMI region. According to their website out of 5k+ out of region applications only 96 are invited to complete secondaries and out of those about half interview and around 20 matriculate. I would imagine these students had strong ties to the area and a commitment to serving this area reflected in their essays
Long time lurker, first time commenter, long time at UW and posting now with an aim of helping clarify OOR applications to UW:

1) The UW MSTP program considers MD-PhD applicants who are citizens or permanent residents without regard to their legal residence. Can be from WWAMI or OOR, it makes no difference. (See FAQ | Medical Scientist Training Program, "Our program is national in scope-our students come from all across the country.")

2) For MD-only admissions: "...successful applicants from outside the WWAMI region who come from either economically or educationally disadvantaged backgrounds and/or who have demonstrated a commitment to serving underserved populations will be considered." (Bolding added by me.) For OOR applicants, there is no need to have any prior ties to the WWAMI region, nor any plan to practice in the WWAMI region in the future. The "mission statement" step is to help determine whether an OOR MD applicant who passes the primary screen fits either or both of these categories in a compelling manner and will be invited to complete the secondary. (That bolded quote is from the bottom of the "MD Program" text on this page: Admissions | UW Medicine.)

Good luck, everyone. Back to lurking for me.

Reactions: 1 users
Received a link for Residency Verification 8/23. In region applicant

Members don't see this ad :)
Wisconsin resident ORM from a rural background, got the mission statement yesterday and submitted today. I'm hoping my internship out there in Washington this summer will help me, but my chances arent great just like the rest of us OOS applicants. Hoping for the best, expecting the worst. 511 MCAT, 3.8 c/s gpa. They're definitely not just doing a stats screen, my email said "based on your activities, we invite you to complete a mission fit statement"

Wisconsin resident ORM from a rural background, got the mission statement yesterday and submitted today. I'm hoping my internship out there in Washington this summer will help me, but my chances arent great just like the rest of us OOS applicants. Hoping for the best, expecting the worst. 511 MCAT, 3.8 c/s gpa. They're definitely not just doing a stats screen, my email said "based on your activities, we invite you to complete a mission fit statement"
Can you post the mission statement question?

Am LM 78 with a 52X and got rejected pre-secondary. They are not just doing a stats screen.
Oh wow! I'm sorry to hear that. I only assumed it was a stat screen because I submitted the preliminary on Sunday night and received the secondary invite on Monday afternoon. Any idea what your weaknesses were? Limited research possibly? I would be really surprised if they actually had the time to read essays that quickly.

Oh wow! I'm sorry to hear that. I only assumed it was a stat screen because I submitted the preliminary on Sunday night and received the secondary invite on Monday afternoon. Any idea what your weaknesses were? Limited research possibly? I would be really surprised if they actually had the time to read essays that quickly.
Very non-traditional background on the research side of things, but certainly not lacking in either depth or breadth. For the “how did you hear about us” question, I answered it literally. “I heard of you from my Advisors, MSAR, and from my visits to the campus.” Come to find out it was intended as like a “why us” essay and I kinda screwed the pooch on that one. My bad, I guess - at least she was free.

Any WA residents receive a secondary yet? I completed my residency verification thing on 8/20

Very non-traditional background on the research side of things, but certainly not lacking in either depth or breadth. For the “how did you hear about us” question, I answered it literally. “I heard of you from my Advisors, MSAR, and from my visits to the campus.” Come to find out it was intended as like a “why us” essay and I kinda screwed the pooch on that one. My bad, I guess - at least she was free.
lmao I did the same. they should be more specific.

So they send the residency verification to all applicants?

Can you post the mission statement question?

(250 words)
The University of Washington School of Medicine (UWSOM) is a regional medical school with a strong preference for residents of Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, and Idaho (WWAMI). Ninety-five percent of our incoming class is from WWAMI.
Non-WWAMI residents are only considered for the MD program if they meet one or both of the following specific components of our mission:
  • Extensive service record with underserved communities
  • From a disadvantaged background

Please share your long-term experiences working with underserved communities and describe how these align with your career goals.

For MSTP applicants, how long was your "autobiographical info" essay? Since we don't have a word limit, do you think it would be appropriate to submit something similar in length to the UCSD autobiography (6000 char)?

For MSTP applicants, how long was your "autobiographical info" essay? Since we don't have a word limit, do you think it would be appropriate to submit something similar in length to the UCSD autobiography (6000 char)?
The two people I have spoken with/edited their essays for that got interviews were in the 6000-9000 character range. They seem to like the sappy/more personal side of things.

• Wow
The two people I have spoken with/edited their essays for that got interviews were in the 6000-9000 character range. They seem to like the sappy/more personal side of things.
Holy smokes! 9000 char! Wow. Thanks for the heads up!

Holy smokes! 9000 char! Wow. Thanks for the heads up!
Perhaps even…OVER NINE-THOUS…..ugh the joke isn’t even worth it.

good luck writing the secondary lol use UCSD as a template and expand from there

Any WAMMI residence receive sec or anything?

Odd question, but any WWAMI folks get rejected PRE-secondary?

IS secondary received (Washington).

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know the various campuses work? Is that something that we select as part of the secondary application? Or, are you offered a spot at a certain campus after your interview?

Did anyone receive a confirmation email after submitting the Washington Residency Form?

Does anyone know the various campuses work? Is that something that we select as part of the secondary application? Or, are you offered a spot at a certain campus after your interview?
WA residents can choose between Seattle and Spokane. Applicants from other WWAMI states go to their state campus. OOS students go to Seattle.

+1 IS secondary received. Best of luck all!

Do the WAMMI Idaho applicants receive residency verification?

Do the WAMMI Idaho applicants receive residency verification?
Yes, last year I did get one at the same time as my secondary. I am an Idaho reappplicant. I got a secondary, but still no residency verification email. I have it all done for UUtah so I guess I'll just wait for them to send it out.

Yes, last year I did get one at the same time as my secondary. I am an Idaho reappplicant. I got a secondary, but still no residency verification email. I have it all done for UUtah so I guess I'll just wait for them to send it out.
When did they send you secondaries essay?

I received my residency verification on 8/23 and my secondary on 8/27. That said, I was likely an easy verification as I applied last year.

Pre-secondary R today! I submitted the mission statement questions last week but they said I didn't meet the criteria for further consideration. I am low-SES FAP recipient disadvantaged so I'm not sure how I don't meet the non-WWAMI screening criteria but oh well! Good luck everyone else :)

• Care
I just submitted my secondary and realized that there was no question asking me which Foundations pathway I prefer (WA resident so i.e. Seattle vs Spokane) - was there somewhere else we were supposed to do this? Because they say that they extend IIs based on Foundations location selection so idk

Pre-secondary R today! I submitted the mission statement questions last week but they said I didn't meet the criteria for further consideration. I am low-SES FAP recipient disadvantaged so I'm not sure how I don't meet the non-WWAMI screening criteria but oh well! Good luck everyone else :)
I’m sorry! It only takes one A, but each rejection hurts like a bitch. Do you mind me asking what day you submitted your mission fit essay last week? I’m also OOR and on the edge of my seat.

Does everyone's WA secondary have the reapplicant question?
From your most recent previous application until now, how have you strengthened your application?
Mine says it's required and I'm wondering if maybe there is a mistake because I'm not a reapplicant...

I’m sorry! It only takes one A, but each rejection hurts like a bitch. Do you mind me asking what day you submitted your mission fit essay last week? I’m also OOR and on the edge of my seat.
It was on 8/23! So 1 week from mission fit -> R. It's all good, it was my first rejection and only school I didn't get a secondary from so I have many more heartbreaks to come haha. Good luck!

WAMMI and got sec essays sent yesterday night! Do anyone know how long after sending in sec essays they invite you for interviews?