2021-2022 Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is a question not just for MSUCOM but osteopathic medical schools in general. How do you think Step 1 being P/F is going to affect DO students and their ability to match into competitive residencies such as the ones you named?
Good question. COMLEX just went/is about to go P/F too, and the combined ACGME residency match just happened. Overall, MSUCOM did not report any *statistically* significant changes in matching (our class had the same concerns during orientation). The same might not be true about other osteopathic medical schools. I definitely believe that, moving forward, prestige of the medical school is going to be a huge factor, so you'd definitely want to shoot for "tier 1" osteopathic medical schools if you plan to match into a competitive residency.

Members don't see this ad.

yeah it's kind of a repetition :/ but I think we should write a different description than the primary for each. are you doing it as a narrative or as a resume? idk if I should talk about what I learned from it or just list what I did there
This is what I did. I had my "story" in my primary app and kept it more resume-like for the secondary. Last year everyone seemed to do something different, so I don't think it's too strict. I would just avoid copying and pasting directly from your primary app. (Although, I'm pretty sure some folks still did that, haha.)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
for the clinical experience section of the secondary, are yall listing every single doctor you guys shadowed? I've shadowed like 9 doctors lol so do I need to talk about what I specifically learned from each of them?

They didn't require or recommend it last year. I imagine they would have said something if that changed. :)
I reached out to admissions officer, they said its not required for your application to be looked at but is required if you want to be offered an interview

I reached out to admissions officer, they said its not required for your application to be looked at but is required if you want to be offered an interview
The Duet? Or just the regular Casper test.

Their website does not indicate this, exactly. From my understanding, if you are given an II, then the school will require your Casper score. As such, none of us Pre-II have to worry about Casper for this school.

Does anyone have any tips on how to answer the first question? Are you mentioning traits and then going into how you exemplify each one?

Does anyone have any tips on how to answer the first question? Are you mentioning traits and then going into how you exemplify each one?
I just answered it more straight up about what I think is best qualities based on the DOs iv virtually shadowed or the philosophy of DO 🤷🏻‍♀️

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you're referring to the CASPer test, which they do require for an interview, but the CASPer Snapshot and Duet are different features of CASPer and have not been a requirement thus far (unless things have changed this year).

Am I too late to be applying to this school? Or do I still have a chance if I apply sometime next week?

• Care
Hey guys, I already submitted my application but I'm nervous I made a mistake. The Clinical Experience section is only asking for osteopathic experiences correct? I put none down as I am a Canadian and didn't have a chance to shadow a DO. Was I supposed to add my MD shadowing experiences??

This is the prompt: "Do you have any osteopathic medical or shadowing experiences?"

Hey guys, I already submitted my application but I'm nervous I made a mistake. The Clinical Experience section is only asking for osteopathic experiences correct? I put none down as I am a Canadian and didn't have a chance to shadow a DO. Was I supposed to add my MD shadowing experiences??

This is the prompt: "Do you have any osteopathic medical or shadowing experiences?"
Hey there! I did not include my allopathic experiences and only put down my osteopathic shadowing if that makes you feel better! Not sure if I addressed the question correctly either but it seems like they are specifically asking for DO related activities.

Am I too late to be applying to this school? Or do I still have a chance if I apply sometime next week?
I applied on 9/25 last year, so I'd say it's not too late.

Nvm saw my question was answered above.

Last edited:
For the clinical experience, did you do resume style or reflection? Also, did you guys add all clinical experiences you have?

Hey, all! I am an OOS applicant with 3.8 cum and science GPAs and a 506 MCAT. I haven't received a secondary app. Could I call admissions and ask for one?

Did anyone did an email asking to complete your secondary? I wasn’t going to do so because I’m OOS, but I am wondering if this means I actually have a chance? lmao
I completed it and i'm OOS

When they ask "Do you have any osteopathic medical or shadowing experiences?" do they mean all healthcare experiences or just osteopathic experiences

When they ask "Do you have any osteopathic medical or shadowing experiences?" do they mean all healthcare experiences or just osteopathic experiences
when you click add, it allows you to add MD and PA also, so I assumed all clinical experiences.

Just osteopathic, that's what the admissions person said to me.

I just submitted my secondary. Hopefully it’s not too late.

Hey looking for opinions here before I maybe waste my time on MSUCOM. I took AP bio in high school and used the credits already. It says on their website that they don't accept AP Bio credits, the one prereq that I took the AP for lmao. I have taken Genetics, but no lab. Is it worth still filling out the secondary and spending the money? I also have no room on my schedule for the next two semesters to put in gen bio 1/2 w/ lab.

Hey looking for opinions here before I maybe waste my time on MSUCOM. I took AP bio in high school and used the credits already. It says on their website that they don't accept AP Bio credits, the one prereq that I took the AP for lmao. I have taken Genetics, but no lab. Is it worth still filling out the secondary and spending the money? I also have no room on my schedule for the next two semesters to put in gen bio 1/2 w/ lab.
They require 8 hours of Biology, not necessarily General Biology. Would you have 8 hours of any Biology credit? They also don't mention anything about a lab course in Biology being mandatory so you're probably good there.

They require 8 hours of Biology, not necessarily General Biology. Would you have 8 hours of any Biology credit? They also don't mention anything about a lab course in Biology being mandatory so you're probably good there.
I have at most maybe 7 hours. I have Genetics which was 4 credits, and a biochem course which could be potentially counted towards the Bio requirement?

I have at most maybe 7 hours. I have Genetics which was 4 credits, and a biochem course which could be potentially counted towards the Bio requirement?
Biochemistry would count towards their Chemistry requirement, not Biology unfortunately.

I would try to take a 4 credit bio course at some point over the year if I were you, but if that's not possible, then it's probably not worth the application since you wouldn't meet their prereqs to matriculate regardless

Biochemistry would count towards their Chemistry requirement, not Biology unfortunately.

I would try to take a 4 credit bio course at some point over the year if I were you, but if that's not possible, then it's probably not worth the application since you wouldn't meet their prereqs to matriculate regardless
Yeah my schedule is jam packed rn, im double majoring and completing both of them is taking up 16 credits this fall and 15 next semester. But it seems MSUCOM isn't the only one like this so maybe I look for like a 2 credit class I can do both semesters...Trying to handle all these classes plus work and potentially research plus the application cycle will be quite fun :(

Has anyone heard any updates yet? Been complete since 8/3 and it's been radio-silent.

Does anyone happen to know what's the lowest MCAT score they've accepted in the last few years? I couldn't find this information on their website, just the average MCAT of their latest class.

It's so frustrating!
1429A190-EF85-433C-9B59-1E69CD054DD4.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
I don’t think they’ve started ii yet