2021-2022 Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello, any 2-4th year students here? I have questions on the program I want to ask!!

Members don't see this ad.

For one of the secondary question regarding do you wanna practice in Indiana, I personally never have been there not even for vacation. So just wondering for inputs on how should I approach this answer? I don't have any connections at all in Indiana.

For one of the secondary question regarding do you wanna practice in Indiana, I personally never have been there not even for vacation. So just wondering for inputs on how should I approach this answer? I don't have any connections at all in Indiana.
I personally explained that, while practicing medicine in Indiana would be enticing, I likely wouldn't because I have ties to another state and I would be hoping to continue my work relationships with my colleagues.

I believe someone else in this thread said that a couple of people last year got II's/A's after stating that they weren't interested in practicing medicine in Indiana.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How did people answer their COVID prompt since I already wrote a COVID essay in the AACOMAS? Did people just repeat the answers? I'm a little confused..!

Reactions: 1 user
How did people answer their COVID prompt since I already wrote a COVID essay in the AACOMAS? Did people just repeat the answers? I'm a little confused..!
i did. some was the same but i added more about what i was doing this year during covid.

For those who received the Fee Waiver, did you pay first and got a refund later or just uploaded the waiver pdf ?

I rewrote in different words. Technically, I'm saying the same thing but in a different way.

Has anyone submitted their secondary already? I did, but it says my LORs are missing. They are uploaded to AACOMAS and other DO schools have received them, so I don't see what the problem is.

Has anyone submitted their secondary already? I did, but it says my LORs are missing. They are uploaded to AACOMAS and other DO schools have received them, so I don't see what the problem is.
This was answered in an earlier post...but it will say that until they manually verify you LORs which can take a few weeks.

This was answered in an earlier post...but it will say that until they manually verify you LORs which can take a few weeks.
Sorry I didn't see anything on this page so I assumed it wouldn't be on pages 1 or 2. Thanks for the answer.

Sorry I didn't see anything on this page so I assumed it wouldn't be on pages 1 or 2. Thanks for the answer.
No problem...I mentioned the earlier post becaue it had more detail and link to verify the info.

Has anyone been marked complete? If so how long from secondary submission did that take?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone been marked complete? If so how long from secondary submission did that take?
i submitted the secondary 7/15 and was complete 7/19. all my scores and LOR's were submitted before though so i wasn't waiting on anything. linda overholt in admissions is super kind and responsive if you're wanting to email and check in!

How are you guys answering the top 3 specialties question? I have a general idea of what I want to do and nothing is concrete. I feel its early to even think about specialties so I haven't done much research in any one in particular. I'm thinking about IM/FM because I want to go into primary care but I really have no idea. Any help? And how long were your responses to the question?

i submitted the secondary 7/15 and was complete 7/19. all my scores and LOR's were submitted before though so i wasn't waiting on anything. linda overholt in admissions is super kind and responsive if you're wanting to email and check in!
Yes second this, she is lovely

Reactions: 1 users
For the shadowing question, is everyone mentioning all shadowing experiences for " describe the experience (name & location of hospital/clinic, name & specialty physician, and amount of time spent shadowing)" in like a listing format (experiences and then description)? Or are you guys just focusing more so on one and how that impacted you. Because I mentioned them all in my AACOMAS app, but wasn't sure how to approach this question.

For the shadowing question, is everyone mentioning all shadowing experiences for " describe the experience (name & location of hospital/clinic, name & specialty physician, and amount of time spent shadowing)" in like a listing format (experiences and then description)? Or are you guys just focusing more so on one and how that impacted you. Because I mentioned them all in my AACOMAS app, but wasn't sure how to approach this question.
I pretty much re-listed my shadowing experiences from my app and then described how I work with physicians (specifically the DOs) at my job. I threw in a sentence about the difference I have seen between DO/MD but wanted to save the majority of the why DO piece. for one of the other prompts.

Reactions: 1 users
I pretty much re-listed my shadowing experiences from my app and then described how I work with physicians (specifically the DOs) at my job. I threw in a sentence about the difference I have seen between DO/MD but wanted to save the majority of the why DO piece. for one of the other prompts.
Thank you!!

I just described the experience the exact same way they worded it in the question! I didn't elaborate on it or anything just bc I already did that on my primary

Did anyone else get a random application complete email? They already sent me one a couple of weeks ago but I just got another one today.

Reactions: 3 users
II just now!!! I’m IS and got the completion email 7/25.

• Love
Ok this is going to sound super stupid but I'm trying to start the secondary and I can't seem to log in to the portal. I reset my password but the sign-in page asks for a username too and I have no idea what my username is supposed to be!! I tried my email, my AACOMAS ID but it doesn't seem to be accepting any of that. There's no option for forgot username either - only forgot password ;( How did you guys find out your usernames? Please help! :'(

Ok this is going to sound super stupid but I'm trying to start the secondary and I can't seem to log in to the portal. I reset my password but the sign-in page asks for a username too and I have no idea what my username is supposed to be!! I tried my email, my AACOMAS ID but it doesn't seem to be accepting any of that. There's no option for forgot username either - only forgot password ;( How did you guys find out your usernames? Please help! :'(
Mine is my AACOMAS ID. Maybe email them for assistance. My supplement email indicates to email Linda Overholt at [email protected] for portal connection issues. The email says that university firewalls can sometimes cause issues if you are using a university or college network to login. Good luck!

hey future docs, im a former MUCOM student (current resident) but i come here to the application thread every year to offer help to all of you applying since i know how stressful of a process it was. feel free to message me!! GOOD LUCK! 😄

• Love
Mine is my AACOMAS ID. Maybe email them for assistance. My supplement email indicates to email Linda Overholt at [email protected] for portal connection issues. The email says that university firewalls can sometimes cause issues if you are using a university or college network to login. Good luck!
Thank you so much! I'll try that! :D

hey future docs, im a former MUCOM student (current resident) but i come here to the application thread every year to offer help to all of you applying since i know how stressful of a process it was. feel free to message me!! GOOD LUCK! 😄
Hi
How well would you say MUCOM prepared you for boards and how were you rotations?

For those who received the Fee Waiver, did you pay first and got a refund later or just uploaded the waiver pdf ?
Hi, I just wanted to follow up on how did the fee waiver work? Did you have to pay upfront and then receive a refund?