2020 oral boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I passed as well. I agree walking out of the exam it's definitely not a sure feeling.

I did UBP, practiced with a pain fellow total of 5 times maybe ( I just finished pain fellowship myself).
I did not take any formal prep course.
I think it's about your knowledge base and your presentation skills. Oh and the ability to keep calm. There will be guaranteed questions or situations you don't know the answers to.
Know it will be unnerving at times. It's certainly doable without a formal course.

I should probably add that English is not my first language and I hadn't done any formal OR anesthesia in like a year. So odds were definitely against me but I'm glad In the end, It all worked out.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I will say in retrospect that UBP is not a great method in my opinion. Good for learning medical knowledge content but you will never, ever, ever in a million years, ever ever be able to give as long and detailed an answer as they give, so if you practice like that you will be cut off instantly during the actual exam.

Reactions: 1 users
Passed using UBP, uptodate and studying with a friend. Message me if you want my UBP practice sets.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also passed with just UBP and uptodating stuff. Practiced a few practice exams with two friends. Studied about 2 months. Felt terrible about the exam, but still passed. I agree with the above poster that UBP did not prepare well for how the exam actually went, but it did give a good base of knowledge and used some of the info to answer questions.

I wonder why it take so long for getting the results, it has been 7 weeks still waiting for the results.

Anyone know how long it takes to receive your certificate ? Found out I passed on 10/19 and still nothing

they did not send me any email about my results , I found my result in my ABA account , it was setting there for a week and I did not know.

Result for those who took it on last week of October is up! Passed :)
I thought I failed so I didnt even check but apparently my husband has been checking the directory secretly lol.

Doing practice exams with husband using old aba exams helped the most!

Felt both stems were very straightforward, said some I dont knows, missed some grab bag questions.

PM me if anybody wants to buy anesthesia oral board review books (board stiff3, knocking out the board, justorals student manual) :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
they did not send me any email about my results , I found my result in my ABA account , it was setting there for a week and I did not know.
They did send an email to check result for my week. Apparently result was up tuesday morning for my group, I found out Wednesday morning thanks to husband checking the directory. Aba email came Wednesday afternoon that result was available.

Reactions: 1 user
I need a study buddy, if anyone is interested? I did not pass. I was happy when I took the exam, but only one of the examiners was twisting even my correct answers. Is it possible to fail one examiner and do well with the other three and not pass?

I need a study buddy, if anyone is interested? I did not pass. I was happy when I took the exam, but only one of the examiners was twisting even my correct answers. Is it possible to fail one examiner and do well with the other three and not pass?
No. A single examiner cannot cause you to fail.

Reactions: 1 user
do they send you is an actual performance breakdown of the applied exam?

You failed just the soe and passed the OSCE?

do they send you is an actual performance breakdown of the applied exam?
Well the email said for my group (last week of october) there will be result letter posted on 12/17, on the aba website it said it will be posted on 12/21 and to hold questions until then. I checked today and the only result letter uploaded said congratulations blah blah you are a diplomate of ABA blah blah and nothing else. Maybe for those who didnt pass, they get their breakdown letter uploaded instead?
I dont really care what the breakdown is at this point and from what I've read, it doesnt say much apparently. I read that some people requested a "gradesheet" in the past and all it said was poor or something vague like that which didn't help.

How long after you get the result, do you get your paper certification in the mail? Just curious.

Well the email said for my group (last week of october) there will be result letter posted on 12/17, on the aba website it said it will be posted on 12/21 and to hold questions until then. I checked today and the only result letter uploaded said congratulations blah blah you are a diplomate of ABA blah blah and nothing else. Maybe for those who didnt pass, they get their breakdown letter uploaded instead?
I dont really care what the breakdown is at this point and from what I've read, it doesnt say much apparently. I read that some people requested a "gradesheet" in the past and all it said was poor or something vague like that which didn't help.

How long after you get the result, do you get your paper certification in the mail? Just curious.
same here. but i thought i woiuld get an actual breakdown on the exam. i feel its only right afteer all that sweat equity i put in.

The letter they send you if you passed gives no feedback whatsoever, just a congratulations along with the actual physical certificate.