Anesthesiology Oral board Preparation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anvaqaz

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Team,
I am preparing for oral boards now. 3 months away from exam. Can any of you guide me how to prepare for the anesthesia oral boards and what resources?
Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

UBP is all you need. Practice in front of a mirror (if you can’t find a partner)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure you practice verbalizing your answers. We aren't used to verbalizing our thought process or plan of action as we are generally solo practitioners.

Any reputable source of practice scenarios is probably fine. The general topics and scenarios are relatively similar. You won't fail because you missed some random factoids. You will fail if you make mistakes on the common scenarios or can't communicate a reasonable plan.

It feels harder than it actually is

Make sure you practice verbalizing your answers. We aren't used to verbalizing our thought process or plan of action as we are generally solo practitioners.

Any reputable source of practice scenarios is probably fine. The general topics and scenarios are relatively similar. You won't fail because you missed some random factoids. You will fail if you make mistakes on the common scenarios or can't communicate a reasonable plan.

It feels harder than it actually is
thank you

Ubp for review. Just Oral Boards for mock exams. Board stiff for last week review and realistic answers for the exam. Ubp answers are way too detailed. The examiner will cut you off before you can answer like they do and it will throw you off. Just Oral boards is good for getting a feel for the hostility of the examiner. The exam will fly by and if you get rattled it can be hard to recover in time.

UBP is so pricey. its heart breaking to think as a fellow you get shafted this hard on it

Hi Team,
I am preparing for oral boards now. 3 months away from exam. Can any of you guide me how to prepare for the anesthesia oral boards and what resources?
Thanks in advance
When are you taking yours? I'm also preparing, maybe we can practice and feed each other stems?

Hi Team,
Thanks in advance
1) wake up on day of oral board exam
2) take exam and pass

I shelled out the dough for the UBP course and it was worth every penny. I firmly believe that all you need to pass this is UBP, a reliable study partner or 3 to grill you, and a reference text for what you're weak on. Yao is a great one.

You will continuously be told this isn't a knowledge test, and for the most part that is correct. But you're not going to be able to talk your way out of TEF managment when you don't know the first thing about TEF's.

I shelled out the dough for the UBP course and it was worth every penny. I firmly believe that all you need to pass this is UBP, a reliable study partner or 3 to grill you, and a reference text for what you're weak on. Yao is a great one.

You will continuously be told this isn't a knowledge test, and for the most part that is correct. But you're not going to be able to talk your way out of TEF managment when you don't know the first thing about TEF's.
which UBP package did you use?

which UBP package did you use?
I got the most expensive one, which I think was $3000. My CME fund covered it. You don't need the biggest package, but I do think their approach to answering questions is very strong. Efficient and to the point. Their OSCE stuff was great too, though there's almost too much. OSCE was tougher than I anticipated. A guy I trained with failed oral boards the year before me and freaked me out 2 weeks before my test and told me that UBP wasn't nearly enough to pass. When I walked out of the exam center (feeling like absolute ****) I did feel strongly that UBP prepared me well for it.

Knowledge is part of it yes, but I’ve seen it explained (even recently on Reddit) that the oral boards is like talking your coresidents (particularly junior coresidents). What do you want in your spinal? Why hyperbaric vs isobaric? Do you need more and less volume in pregnancy and why? Etc.

Knowledge is part of it yes, but I’ve seen it explained (even recently on Reddit) that the oral boards is like talking your coresidents (particularly junior coresidents). What do you want in your spinal? Why hyperbaric vs isobaric? Do you need more and less volume in pregnancy and why? Etc.
I think you made a perfect example. Being able to articulate and defend your answers is the crux of the test. You can know the ins and outs of a TOF repair, but if you can't eloquently state how you're going to induce that TOF kid you're screwed. Being able to discuss why a gravid uterus decreases the amount of intrathecal volume we need for an adequate spinal is a knowledge thing. Being able to handle a high/total spinal (where they're going to take you next) is an application thing. Both are required. But, framing this as a conversation between two residents is likely underplaying the depth of the exam. It's a discussion between 2-3 attending anesthesiologists and you're trying to demonstrate you have a consultant level fund of knowledge and are able to apply it correctly.