2020 oral boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
UBP x2( content), Rapid Review and lots and lots of practice!!!! for approximately 3 months

Did you feel like UBP was good prep? I'm finishing my 2nd UBP read and have been doing skype mostly but did not use rapid review

for content yes. Rapid review was just a diff flavor. Easy read.
Practice Practice Practice. UBP answers is overkill but its a good start

Reactions: 1 users
OSCE content outline pretty accurate? I didn't realize for awhile there are some lung US topics possible. However most of the other POC US stuff looks like it will be for the lucky test takers in 2021

lung us seems to be the new thing at this level. a lines = pneumo = barcode on m mode, b line = fluid(think kerley b lines). That seems to be all you need to know and recognise

Reactions: 2 users
PDSA Cycle.Plan Do Study Act. Multiple examples online. It should be generic and make sure to mention all stakeholders involve to achieve the quality improvement

Reactions: 1 user
I don't believe POC US starts until next year.

I took it this past week.
No POCUS stuff until next year. TEE views, nerve blocks, and vascular access.

Members don't see this ad :)

Ummm i'm nervous now... :eek:

Anyone know when results are released for this past testing week? Based on last year's thread, it was 2 weeks from the following Monday after the exam week - which would be March 23. But during the test day, they said results would take 3 weeks. So 3 weeks from the following Monday? So March 30?

what draw backs? pdsa has draw backs?
everyone told me to just look at osce stuff the night before and make up some answers.
I was asked what pitfalls of PDSA were after reciting PDSA. I made some stuff up. Would have been great if I didn’t have to

I was asked what pitfalls of PDSA were after reciting PDSA. I made some stuff up. Would have been great if I didn’t have to

thats ridic. i hope you passed. this whole osce thing is ridic, and a money making scam.

With that said, how many tries do we get on orals before we are forever banned from taking it? Ive heard 4, ive heard 7 years before cant be board certified anymore, and ive heard can take it as many times as you want...

Also we are pretty much one of the only boards that hasnt postponed or cancelled the exams due to coronavirus. surgery, optho, even RADIOLOGY cancelled/postponed their exams. which is ironic cause we pride in safety. doesnt make ABA look good

Also we are pretty much one of the only boards that hasnt postponed or cancelled the exams due to coronavirus. surgery, optho, even RADIOLOGY cancelled/postponed their exams. which is ironic cause we pride in safety. doesnt make ABA look good
We had option to reschedule without paying a fee. I did not want to do that as I want to get this test over with and I’m not overly concerned about getting coronavirus

We had option to reschedule without paying a fee. I did not want to do that as I want to get this test over with and I’m not overly concerned about getting coronavirus
Same.

Next Monday baby!

Ya i know, but i think its about more than just whether you will be in danger or not. American college of cardiology cancelled their large conference. Indian wells cancelled their tennis matches. I think its more about reducing spread by not having people from all over the country gather in one spot

I inquired about this option by calling the ABA but they said no rescheduling at this time?

Just got the email, apparently you can reschedule if you want to, BUT ONLY for Covid-19

But if you have something serious like sepsis, you have to keep your appointment. LOL....

They also specified that you CANNOT wear a mask during the exam. hahahahaha :doctor:

• Haha
Just got the email, apparently you can reschedule if you want to, BUT ONLY for Covid-19

But if you have something serious like sepsis, you have to keep your appointment. LOL....

They also specified that you CANNOT wear a mask during the exam. hahahahaha :doctor:

They emailed me earlier today as well. This is a direct quote

“Should you decide to cancel your exam appointment, please email [email protected] as soon as possible. We are waiving all exam change and cancellation fees due to the coronavirus.*”

At the bottom they do say

*Fee waivers are only applicable for COVID-19. Candidates with other illnesses will need to pay the change or cancellation fee to reschedule the exam.

It’s a very confusing . The first half makes it seem like you will be able to change for free but second half of the email makes it seem different

Last edited:

Wearing a mask would make the exam more realistic. I’m not in anesthesia mode unless I have a mask on.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
kind of disappointing from our society. personally i want to get the test over with, but honestly makes more sense if they postponed it like what every other medical society is doing. so much for safety

kind of disappointing from our society. personally i want to get the test over with, but honestly makes more sense if they postponed it like what every other medical society is doing. so much for safety
May be doing anesthesia gave us the ability to diagnose the virus??!

Agreed. Not so vigilant...

Can you imagine if someone gets it or becomes a vector at the boards . Really irresponsible by the ABA
Yeah my ICU's team room is separated from our COVID quarantine unit by a regular, non-negative-pressure door. But I don't have symptoms (yet), and my institution doesn't prohibit travel for boards (yet), so I'll see you on Monday, examiners!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Yeah my ICU's team room is separated from our COVID quarantine unit by a regular, non-negative-pressure door. But I don't have symptoms (yet), and my institution doesn't prohibit travel for boards (yet), so I'll see you on Monday, examiners!

Please tell me you're the 12'clock session?

• Haha
If they hadn't created the useless OSCE component, this exam would be much easier to administer remotely.

When you see their penthouse suite office complex you’ll know why it’s expensive

Reactions: 3 users
Man, I feel bad for those who have spent the last few months preparing. How incredibly frustrating. It will all work out, eventually.

• Angry
The shuttle that takes you to the testing complex from the hotel is a nice shuttle with leather seats. I wish they would charge me less for the exam and get a regular shuttle.

It's a party bus. For the cost of the exam, they really should at least turn on the lights and give a free beer at the end.

Seeing that oral boards are cancelled through week 6, what are the odds that we all get rescheduled sometime this year?

With total 9 weeks for the year, it would be difficult even if they double up the number of candidates per week. They can extend testing period to December and I can see that as viable option. But all depends on the Coronavirus outcome