2020-2021 UT Houston ( McGovern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard/feel it in their bones that they're sending out any more IIs, or has anyone received an invite in January? I'm crossing my fingers that there's a final batch lol

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone heard/feel it in their bones that they're sending out any more IIs, or has anyone received an invite in January? I'm crossing my fingers that there's a final batch lol

I looked at the TMDSAS timeline and interviews go on till Feb 19th

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually since applicants have to submit their rank list on Feb 19 I doubt there will be interviews on that day.
So interviews go into Feb? For some reason I thought it was until Jan 31, but maybe that's just the last day to pre match

Actually since applicants have to submit their rank list on Feb 19 I doubt there will be interviews on that day.
No rank list for OOS, still final interview date for OOS also before Feb 19?

No rank list for OOS, still final interview date for OOS also before Feb 19?
@r2med the TMDSAS schools have never extended the interview season for OOS applicants. You all had the same deadline for your primaries, secondaries, etc. as part of using the TMDSAS application, so the schools have had ample time to evaluate you.

@r2med the TMDSAS schools have never extended the interview season for OOS applicants. You all had the same deadline for your primaries, secondaries, etc. as part of using the TMDSAS application, so the schools have had ample time to evaluate you.
😥

So I’m guessing that means if you don’t get a II by that date it’s an auto-R?
Yes, if you have had no TMDSAS interviews by Feb 19 you can consider yourself done for the year. AMCAS and AACOMAS schools might carry on interviews longer.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know what's up with housing? I haven't heard anything from the admissions office but I recall them saying we'd get more information as the waitlist comes closer in January.

Just went to the website and saw that UTH affiliated students are allowed to sign-up on the waitlist right now for the next week. Do we count as UTHealth students, or is there another sign-up for us MS0s at a later time? If any MS1-4s in university housing can help me out, that'd be great! TIA.

Does anyone know what's up with housing? I haven't heard anything from the admissions office but I recall them saying we'd get more information as the waitlist comes closer in January.

Just went to the website and saw that UTH affiliated students are allowed to sign-up on the waitlist right now for the next week. Do we count as UTHealth students, or is there another sign-up for us MS0s at a later time? If any MS1-4s in university housing can help me out, that'd be great! TIA.
I was wondering the same thing. If we pre-matched into McGovern when is the earliest we can sign up for housing?

Members don't see this ad :)

I put myself on the waitlist the day it opened. You can apply for housing if you've been admitted and if you're having trouble you can call the leasing office.

The most recent interview invitations I can find for McGovern were on Dec 10th. Has anyone been invited more recently?
Share your news, y'all, so I can help keep our TMDSAS applicants up to date. And good luck!

Thanks! Wysdoc

Reactions: 5 users
The most recent interview invitations I can find for McGovern were on Dec 10th. Has anyone been invited more recently?
Share your news, y'all, so I can help keep our TMDSAS applicants up to date. And good luck!

Thanks! Wysdoc
Don't know how much this helps, but after their Dec 10th wave, I emailed them and asked if they were inviting any more candidates. At that point, the Jan 29th date looked full based on the forums and they confirmed that this was their final date but they were still looking for candidates to interview. If I had to guess, maybe they set aside some backup candidates to invite in the event of cancellations. No idea if they ever sent those out...

II literally right now. Complete 7/16/2020. URM, non-trad, LizzyM 66, TX res. Dates available 1/22 & 1/29

• Love
Reactions: 14 users

Thanks! Wysdoc

i got one within the last couple weeks!

Interviews will continue to go out throughout January with no interviews happening in February.

Interviews will continue to go out throughout January with no interviews happening in February.
There are only 2 dates in January - 22nd and 29th. Someone probably needs cancel for someone else to be called in this short span.

Does anyone expect they will give out any more pre-matches before the prematch window ends this month? Just curious considering they were given an extra month due to covid

Does anyone expect they will give out any more pre-matches before the prematch window ends this month? Just curious considering they were given an extra month due to covid
I feel like they will, considering that the last wave they sent was Dec 16th. Who knows though, maybe not. The waiting is awful lmao

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Yep, they accept significant updates from post-interview applicants to their general admissions email.
Are you 100 percent sure, because I interviewed and had an update letter ready, but I read somewhere earlier in this thread that they don't accept updates or Lois.

Are you 100 percent sure, because I interviewed and had an update letter ready, but I read somewhere earlier in this thread that they don't accept updates or Lois.

Yes. If you would like to confirm yourself, you can check page 13 of the "UTHealth Med School Interview Day Packet" PDF you received with your interview confirmation email. They do not accept updates from non-interviewed applicants, however, so maybe that is what you saw previously.

You can only submit an update after an interview. People who dont receive an interview cant try to impress them further into getting an interview.

You can only submit an update after an interview. People who dont receive an interview cant try to impress them further into getting an interview.
When I called, they seemed to only want a letter of intent? Not sure now

Did you interview a while ago? If so, it’s likely your post-interview file has already been reviewed and decided on by the AdCom so they aren’t really interested in an update that won’t affect your match chances anymore.

In Texas, LOIs really don’t come into play until there is waitlist movement; since that, of course, hasn’t happened yet, they are still open to receiving LOIs as you said was implied on your phone call.

If the update is really stellar (prestigious national award, publication in a respected journal, etc.) then go ahead and send it. The wow factor of the update might impact your outcome. But for any update that is just fluff (more service or clinical hours, why McGovern is for me, etc), it is historically not worth sending.

If I just interviewed this past week, and have a relatively significant update (around 500 clinical hours at a job that I began after submitting my secondary) should I send an update? And if so, when?

when you go to your application post interview, you should have something open up for updates which would not have been available before interview. Your updates are done on the application portal.

Where can I find this? I still only see my interview tab, even though its been a few weeks. Also, my interview tab doesn't mark my interviews as complete right now (just a gray box) even though they happened. Are all of y'alls like that?
Sorry, I might be mistaken about McGovern. @premed_97 might be providing more accurate info on how to go about it.

Where can I find this? I still only see my interview tab, even though its been a few weeks. Also, my interview tab doesn't mark my interviews as complete right now (just a gray box) even though they happened. Are all of y'alls like that?

McGovern does not allow you to submit updates via the portal unfortunately. You will have to send it to the main admissions email; once received, you will receive confirmation that it’s been added to your file.

Did you interview a while ago? If so, it’s likely your post-interview file has already been reviewed and decided on by the AdCom so they aren’t really interested in an update that won’t affect your match chances anymore.

In Texas, LOIs really don’t come into play until there is waitlist movement; since that, of course, hasn’t happened yet, they are still open to receiving LOIs as you said was implied on your phone call.

If the update is really stellar (prestigious national award, publication in a respected journal, etc.) then go ahead and send it. The wow factor of the update might impact your outcome. But for any update that is just fluff (more service or clinical hours, why McGovern is for me, etc), it is historically not worth sending.
That makes a lot of sense! The only thing is, they didn't ask for my name (and I don't think I gave it) so I am not sure if they had any way of knowing when I interviewed. Would you suggest sending an LOI after match day ( I am OOS so I don't participate in match)?

Has there been any Facebook page or GroupMe created for the Class of 2025 yet? I understand it is still early but I was wanting to potentially get connected with future classmates!

If I just interviewed this past week, and have a relatively significant update (around 500 clinical hours at a job that I began after submitting my secondary) should I send an update? And if so, when?
Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this?

Has there been any Facebook page or GroupMe created for the Class of 2025 yet? I understand it is still early but I was wanting to potentially get connected with future classmates!
doesn't seem like they care about their admitted students just yet lol. no facebook groups or dedicated emails

That makes a lot of sense! The only thing is, they didn't ask for my name (and I don't think I gave it) so I am not sure if they had any way of knowing when I interviewed. Would you suggest sending an LOI after match day ( I am OOS so I don't participate in match)?

Gotcha. As an OOS student, I think it would be fine to go ahead and send the LOI now since you won't participate in the match.

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this?

Was clinical hours a weakness in your application before this new job? If so, you could consider sending an update, but again, not sure that it will sway the committee very much. McGovern does not send II's to applicants that have weaknesses that would deal breakers for gaining admission; since you received an II, your clinical hour activity had to be sufficient to meet their acceptance criteria before this new job.

If the additional 500 hours would just fluff up your already strong clinical experience, I would not send it in an update. If clinical experience was a weakness in your application and you want to demonstrate that you closed that weakness since you interviewed, sending the update won't hurt. Hopefully you also mentioned it during your interviews and your interviewers included it in their comments to the AdCom as well.

Was clinical hours a weakness in your application before this new job? If so, you could consider sending an update, but again, not sure that it will sway the committee very much. McGovern does not send II's to applicants that have weaknesses that would deal breakers for gaining admission; since you received an II, your clinical hour activity had to be sufficient to meet their acceptance criteria before this new job.

If the additional 500 hours would just fluff up your already strong clinical experience, I would not send it in an update. If clinical experience was a weakness in your application and you want to demonstrate that you closed that weakness since you interviewed, sending the update won't hurt. Hopefully you also mentioned it during your interviews and your interviewers included it in their comments to the AdCom as well.
If interview was last week, it sounds very late in the game to claim additional clinical hours since they should have been part of expected hours for the year. It would be hard to not be aware one would spend 500 hours back at the time of application unless the expected hours were elsewhere.

The meaningful updates are in terms of having some additional achievements or an LOI to sway them into a match.

If interview was last week, it sounds very late in the game to claim additional clinical hours since they should have been part of expected hours for the year. It would be hard to not be aware one would spend 500 hours back at the time of application unless the expected hours were elsewhere.

The meaningful updates are in terms of having some additional achievements or an LOI to sway them into a match.
So is it recommended to send LOIs before match day or after if you’re waitlisted ?

So is it recommended to send LOIs before match day or after if you’re waitlisted ?
There are multiple conditions one should evaluate about an LOI. My conditions are geared for Texas residents

1. If this is the only place interviewed in Texas - LOI decision is pretty simple - of course you must.
2. If you have an admission at others but you want to go here - It is not an LOI anymore - it is an LOI + rank it number 1 during Match
3. If you have an admission OOS or DO or anything else but not in TMDSAS - LOI and rank number 1 during match (you can in fact state your admissions elsewhere in LOI but say that you want to attend McGovern)

I am not entirely sure how OOS works (no match?) so an LOI anytime is the samething since you are simply stating that if given an admission, you will ignore other admissions and show up. There are always ethics involved and so sending it to 4-5 schools where you have interviewed since you can only attend one.

Has anyone has pre-matched in the month of January so far? I interviewed at the beginning of the month and am curious if pre-matching is still possible or if it's matchday or bust?

Has anyone has pre-matched in the month of January so far? I interviewed at the beginning of the month and am curious if pre-matching is still possible or if it's matchday or bust?
They haven't sent out a wave since Dec 16

• Hmm
There are multiple conditions one should evaluate about an LOI. My conditions are geared for Texas residents

1. If this is the only place interviewed in Texas - LOI decision is pretty simple - of course you must.
2. If you have an admission at others but you want to go here - It is not an LOI anymore - it is an LOI + rank it number 1 during Match
3. If you have an admission OOS or DO or anything else but not in TMDSAS - LOI and rank number 1 during match (you can in fact state your admissions elsewhere in LOI but say that you want to attend McGovern)

I am not entirely sure how OOS works (no match?) so an LOI anytime is the samething since you are simply stating that if given an admission, you will ignore other admissions and show up. There are always ethics involved and so sending it to 4-5 schools where you have interviewed since you can only attend one.
On point #1. If this is the only school I interviewed at and did not receive a prematch, does it make sense to send my LOI before or after match day? I'm leaning to after, as I still have a chance to match even without sending a LOI. But if I send my letter and don't match, then I'll have nothing to send post-match day when others will most likely be sending their letters.

On point #1. If this is the only school I interviewed at and did not receive a prematch, does it make sense to send my LOI before or after match day? I'm leaning to after, as I still have a chance to match even without sending a LOI. But if I send my letter and don't match, then I'll have nothing to send post-match day when others will most likely be sending their letters.
You can keep writing additional love letters if you dont match but schools dont know if you are planning to attend some other program unless you write a letter that they are a serious contender.

To be clear, no one may know if you have admissions you are considering in AAMC, DO or International schools for them to rank you ahead of all the other interviewed candidates. I am not very certain if Texas schools share information about who is already admitted/interviewed (I am assuming yes since match is a state controlled process) but they definitely wont know your prospects outside of that process.

Think in terms of a school ranking probably 50 to100 seats for 300 or more interviewed candidates who are not yet admitted. How are they going to rank them?

Just curious, Can we get rejected at any point after the interview? Or are rejections only given out when/after Match day occurs?