2020-2021 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Joplin) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm 2nd year at Joplin! Feel free to DM me!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
On a side note, not sure if anyone can relate, but I feel personally attacked every time KCU spams my email inbox telling me to apply to their graduate programs. I get it, you all waitlisted me. Please stop telling me that I’m not good enough for you :(

• Haha
On a side note, not sure if anyone can relate, but I feel personally attacked every time KCU spams my email inbox telling me to apply to their graduate programs. I get it, you all waitlisted me. Please stop telling me that I’m not good enough for you :(

SAME! I keep getting emails about the graduate program but like I'm still waiting to hear back after my interview! At least tell me the decision before you tell me to apply to the grad programs LOL:dead:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I just received an email about a Com scolarship but with no amount? Will they disclose the amount?

Im a current OMS-1, lemme know if anyone has questions or needs help!

Reactions: 1 users
M1 here at KCU, feel free to reach out if you have any questions! Goodluck to all those who are still in the application process!

M1 here at KCU, feel free to reach out if you have any questions! Goodluck to all those who are still in the application process!

I had a quick question. I was wondering how competitive this schools secondary is to receive.

I have over a 3.5 undergraduate GPA, my graduate GPA is around 3.5 I have a 507 on the MCAT. I have been in the healthcare industry for 4 years with over 1,000 hours of patient transportation, over 500 hours of shadowing, research experience, volunteering experience. Just shocked that I didn't get offered a secondary at this university.

Application has been completed since middle of July.

Hey guys! My interview is scheduled for 12/9 however I still have yet to receive an email regarding the NDA form. Should I be worried?

Members don't see this ad :)
any canadians here? lol interviewed november 4th, accepted today! :)

I had a quick question. I was wondering how competitive this schools secondary is to receive.

I have over a 3.5 undergraduate GPA, my graduate GPA is around 3.5 I have a 507 on the MCAT. I have been in the healthcare industry for 4 years with over 1,000 hours of patient transportation, over 500 hours of shadowing, research experience, volunteering experience. Just shocked that I didn't get offered a secondary at this university.

I don't really have an answer to give you in regards to "how competitive" the secondary is to get, but from what I know, your primary is definitely screened and evaluated. Your stats and experience look good and I know plenty of people with those stats that got a secondary. Don't lose hope! If I were you, I would try to check if you have all the required material turned in and maybe contact them to see if they are missing anything and have a complete file for you.

email them and see what's going on. or call.

WL today (interviewed 11/06). I’m trying to keep my hopes up but am pretty bummed since this is my only II so far. Does anyone know how high the chances are for getting off the WL, especially if you’re low-stats? Or any good stuff do for an update/letter of intent? I’m considering retaking the MCAT in Jan and adding volunteering also. Thanks!!
if you got an interview but got WL, it's most likely not your stats. They don't give interviews to just anyone. if you got an interview, that means that your stats were cleared. i would strengthen your interview skills and practice answering questions with a friend, a fam member, a coworker, etc.

I'll add that don't volunteer just for your CV. make sure it's meaningful to you in some way, shape, or form. KCU and other medical schools will see through it if you just did it for your resume. also, it doesn't have to be medical related. none of my post-grad volunteering was in a medical field and i did not work in a medical/research field. just make sure it's meaningful to you and something you can speak on.

Do any current students recommend finding a roommate for the first year? I have heard mixed things about it and am wondering if many students live alone their first year. Also, any apartment recommendations in Joplin would be much appreciated :) thank you so much!

Do any current students recommend finding a roommate for the first year? I have heard mixed things about it and am wondering if many students live alone their first year. Also, any apartment recommendations in Joplin would be much appreciated :) thank you so much!
I didnt get a roommate. It is really personal preference here.

Apartments: Plaza, Copper Pointe, Rustic Ridge, Villas, Terrace Green, Campbell Reserve, to name a few. A couple new ones off 32nd, but are a little out there from town. Many are renting houses. Its just as affordable to do that, especially if you get a roommate. But really everything is close, within 10-15 min drive to school if that. Took me 10 normally, 15 on a bad day (or if I got caught in high school traffic).

i didn't get an apt either. especially with COVID going on, thank god i didn't. I've heard stories where people's roommates got sick and ended up getting them sick. also if you test positive for COVID, you need to self-quarantine for 14 days and make up lab after testing negative twice.

Thanks for replying! The only reason I think it's my stats is because my interview skills are strong (as told my advisors/friends) and I already have 1000+ volunteering hours and 2500+ clinical employment hours (plus research, leadership, etc) so I don't think it's my ECs holding me back. I'm definitely not going to do something just to fluff up my CV as it's already pretty full on volunteering and would prefer to add something more substantial, I'm just not sure what that is yet!
no problem! wait it out til early next year and if you don't hear back, consider retaking it when the summer starts.

Hi everyone! I was recently accepted to the Joplin location and am wondering if anyone has actually attempted to switch locations after being assigned to one? I am happy to go Joplin and was so ecstatic to get in, I just live much closer to KC. Initially, I thought this would not be an issue, but my family is really hoping I will be closer to home for moral support. I know it's a very silly reason and I am so thankful for this opportunity, I just am wondering if anyone has actually attempted to switch after being assigned to one?

Hi everyone! I was recently accepted to the Joplin location and am wondering if anyone has actually attempted to switch locations after being assigned to one? I am happy to go Joplin and was so ecstatic to get in, I just live much closer to KC. Initially, I thought this would not be an issue, but my family is really hoping I will be closer to home for moral support. I know it's a very silly reason and I am so thankful for this opportunity, I just am wondering if anyone has actually attempted to switch after being assigned to one?
i haven't attempted to switch but i'm sure you can ask. i don't think it's common for people to switch and i don't think the chances of being able to switch is high.

i haven't attempted to switch but i'm sure you can ask. i don't think it's common for people to switch and i don't think the chances of being able to switch is high.
That makes total sense and is what I thought too. Thanks for the reply!!

Paid the deposit here. I'm excited to attend KCU. It seems like a great school. I'd join the Facebook group, but I canceled my FB a few months ago. If there's a groupme or anything else the class is putting together, let me know and I'd be happy to join.

Just finished an interview today and absolutely loved it. Everybody was really laid back and sold the school very well. Future interviewers, be prepared to have an chill and fun interview.

to everybody who has been accepted and paid the deposit, is it refundable? I have another interview in late January and if accepted would have to make a difficult decision to accept at KCU and potentially lose my deposit

Just finished an interview today and absolutely loved it. Everybody was really laid back and sold the school very well. Future interviewers, be prepared to have an chill and fun interview.

to everybody who has been accepted and paid the deposit, is it refundable? I have another interview in late January and if accepted would have to make a difficult decision to accept at KCU and potentially lose my deposit
i dont think it's refundable unless they changed it from last year. i don't think any DO school deposits are refundable.

Got a question for any 3rd or 4th years here. How do rotations work here? Do you have to move multiple times a year or do you get more consistent year long sites? I'm especially interested in 4th year since it seems like 3rd year is still pretty structured by KCU.

Does anybody know when December Interviews will be getting a response? Thanks!

Does anyone know about the Workday Account?

I recently received an email about a Workday Account. I interviewed last week. Is this a good sign of anything? Thank you.

Does anyone know about the Workday Account?

I recently received an email about a Workday Account. I interviewed last week. Is this a good sign of anything? Thank you.
They send that to everyone - as long as you have an interview you'll have it.

Any thoughts on post-interview acceptance rate? Any input would be much appreciated :)

I would love to know this as well
I just had their interview yesterday and they mentioned that the post-interview acceptance rate is relatively high (65-70%)! Definitely eased my nerves :lol:

I just had their interview yesterday and they mentioned that the post-interview acceptance rate is relatively high (65-70%)! Definitely eased my nerves :lol:
Cool! Did they mention anything about when decisions are coming back? I read that they usually take 6 weeks, but mentioned that they might get back to us by the 21st. Who knows!

Cool! Did they mention anything about when decisions are coming back? I read that they usually take 6 weeks, but mentioned that they might get back to us by the 21st. Who knows!
They told us we would either hear before the holidays or after but I just had my interview (yesterday) so I wouldn't be surprised if it is after.

@BellaWriterChic @DrRedstone

Can either of you talk about how rotations work in 3rd and 4th year? Are you placed at like a 1 or 2 year rotation site, or are you frequently moving (and if so, how often) for rotations? How many students stay are able to do their rotations in Joplin (all or most of them)? KCU offers very little information on their website and interview day about this.

Thank you!

Can either of you talk about how rotations work in 3rd and 4th year? Are you placed at like a 1 or 2 year rotation site, or are you frequently moving (and if so, how often) for rotations? How many students stay are able to do their rotations in Joplin (all or most of them)? KCU offers very little information on their website and interview day about this.

Thank you!

Most students at Joplin will go to one of 3 sites: Mercy Joplin, Freeman Health System, or Via Christi Pittsburg. These are core sites for 3rd year where you can do all of your required rotations. 4th year, you get to make your own schedule for rotations. You can choose to keep doing rotations at your core site or you can arrange rotations at other sites.

Thank you!

Most students at Joplin will go to one of 3 sites: Mercy Joplin, Freeman Health System, or Via Christi Pittsburg. These are core sites for 3rd year where you can do all of your required rotations. 4th year, you get to make your own schedule for rotations. You can choose to keep doing rotations at your core site or you can arrange rotations at other sites.
Redstone has more cause he is a 4th year, but what he said is basically it. The only exception I would add is for Third Year, I have had to go to one of the other hospital sites for rotations due to limited spacing thanks to the COVID pandemic. But I feel this is the exception over the norm. The ones who wanted to stay in Joplin got the spot. There are other sites across the country if you want to go for those, but they are fairly competitive. You can come back for rotations to your Core site in 4th year but otherwise you usually do Sub-Is or Audition rotations.

Redstone has more cause he is a 4th year, but what he said is basically it. The only exception I would add is for Third Year, I have had to go to one of the other hospital sites for rotations due to limited spacing thanks to the COVID pandemic. But I feel this is the exception over the norm. The ones who wanted to stay in Joplin got the spot. There are other sites across the country if you want to go for those, but they are fairly competitive. You can come back for rotations to your Core site in 4th year but otherwise you usually do Sub-Is or Audition rotations.
Thank you both! That was exactly what I wanted to know!