2020-2021 Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
just received invitation to 19/11 applicant day

Perfect. You got closer to becoming a dukie.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I feel like they might also have a much higher number of applicants this year (that's the case for most, if not all, US medical schools this cycle). They did say in the first applicant day that they had many more applicants attending than usual. I jump at every gmail notification too, and I log in to the portal about 5 times a day "just in case" they forgot to email me :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can tell you that. Our school expected a lower number for last year and this year's application due to the COVID-19. As far as I remember, we broke the record in our school for the number of applicants (you can kinda guess it based on the stat that the average MCAT keeps increasing every year). But, don't lose hope!

Hi! Thank you for providing all the info! May I ask why the number of international students decreases over the year? So is it a lot harder for international students to get in now?

That's something I don't know. The only thing I can tell you is that you need to convince our school that you like Singapore and you can adapt well! Even if you have not been here, just tell them that you did a lot of research on the school because you like our school. And, think about other ways to convince them. I am very sure our school will ask why you want to come to our school and whether you have come to Singapore before.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can tell you that. Our school expected a lower number for last year and this year's application due to the COVID-19. As far as I remember, we broke the record in our school for the number of applicants (you can kinda guess it based on the stat that the average MCAT keeps increasing every year). But, don't lose hope!

Thanks! I know it's still early in the cycle but it's hard not to feel a bit antsy :( They did say offers will be made starting November but never specified which date. I guess I can wait until the end of November to officially start panicking :lol:

Last edited:
Thanks! I know it's still early in the cycle but it's hard not to feel a bit antsy :( They did say offers will be made starting November but never specified which specific date. I guess I can wait until the end of November to officially start panicking :lol:

Yes. The reason why it takes at least a month to give you an offer is that our school reviews applications with our own professors and the professors/leaderships in the main Duke campus. For my case, it was about 4~5 weeks after the applicant's day. Good luck.

Yes. The reason why it takes at least a month to give you an offer is that our school reviews applications with our own professors and the professors/leaderships in the main Duke campus. For my case, it was about 4~5 weeks after the applicant's day. Good luck.

Thanks a lot! So just wonder what has changed in your current studies when compared to the previous MS1.

Thanks a lot! So just wonder what has changed in your current studies when compared to the previous MS1.

That's a great question. Our school made A LOT of efforts to make our education sustainable. So, now we have hybrid lectures ongoing on campus. For example, a half of the class stays at home and takes the course via Zoom and the other half come to our campus for on-campus lectures. In addition to that, for medical examinations and practice, our school pairs our students with mentors (practicing physicians/professors) so that we can practice medical examination in a protected manner (4 students to 1 mentor). My point is I don't feel that COVID-19 negatively affected our education at all. In fact, some of our students really like the fact that we don't need to travel to school every morning!

My friend received offer several days ago . Mine is still waitinhg. Anyone else?

My friend received offer several days ago . Mine is still waitinhg. Anyone else?

Nope, nothing yet for me. Congrats for your friend though! When did they/you interview and what program did you guys apply to?

does anyone know the chance of getting accepted if taking the January MCAT? I guess they won't start reviewing the application materials until they receive everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know the chance of getting accepted if taking the January MCAT? I guess they won't start reviewing the application materials until they receive everything.

Hi,
I heard about this from one of the faculty members. But, please don't quote me hahaha. I heard that they will tolerate the late submission of MCAT (I'm not sure how late it can be though). So, I encourage you to submit everything and email our school that the MCAT will be delayed a little bit. It should work!

Hi you guys! I’m a local applicant. It will be my first time attempting the mcat in Jan. Not sure what to expect. Hoping to get a decent score on the first go to apply for the 2021 intake. Best wishes to all x

Reactions: 1 users
Hi you guys! I’m a local applicant. It will be my first time attempting the mcat in Jan. Not sure what to expect. Hoping to get a decent score on the first go to apply for the 2021 intake. Best wishes to all x

Good luck! Just need to concentrate and give your best for a few months, it's really not that bad but just a lot of memorization. You got this!

hello! I was just wondering how long it takes for an interview invitation? I submitted my application in early October.

Any news on post-II reply? Still waiting for news from the COA. it's already mid-Nov...

hello! I was just wondering how long it takes for an interview invitation? I submitted my application in early October.
you can have a look at their applicant day schedule, the invitations come out a few days before each applicant day. but i think how long it takes to receive an II ultimately comes down to how competitive your application is? hang in there!!

Any news on post-II reply? Still waiting for news from the COA. it's already mid-Nov...
apparently some offers have been sent out already (according to a few posts above)... i'm still waiting too, hopefully they release more offers soon!! from previous year's threads, it seems like they send out a batch of offers every month or so as they continue to assess more applicants (since it's all on a rolling basis)

I'm still waiting too! It's definitely early in the cycle so don't worry (yet, haha). I was going through last cycle thread and there were people who interviewed in September & received an offer in March. Someone even emailed the admissions office to ask and they said it would typically take 2-5 months to review an application (and I suspect that time period might be even longer this year, given COVID and a high number of applicants). It might be a long and tough wait friend, but we're by no means out of the picture yet ;)

• Care
just finished the applicant day
quite chill
The staff is friendly and helpful

just finished the applicant day
quite chill
The staff is friendly and helpful
congrats! now you can join us in the waiting game wahaha

do you know how many people attended your applicant day?

Joining the waiting game too. Just finished applicant day. The interview was quite scary

are you referring to offer or interview invite?
Sorry I should’ve clarified... I was interviewed on Oct19. I was just wandering if anyone knows whether a new batch of acceptance will be release soon. It’s only been a month since my interview but I’m getting a bit anxious..😂😂

still waiting post-II but trying not to think too much about it, there’s still a couple of months left in the cycle!
It's getting hard trying not to think about it lol, since we haven't heard much from the admissions for a while!!

It's getting hard trying not to think about it lol, since we haven't heard much from the admissions for a while!!

Same! I've also been waiting since September :cryi: I wish they have a schedule for sending out acceptances as they do for Applicant Day, hahaha

Same! I've also been waiting since September :cryi: I wish they have a schedule for sending out acceptances as they do for Applicant Day, hahaha
omg i think if they had a schedule for sending out As i would go crazy... ignorance is bliss for me rn lol

• Haha
Submitted my application on September and submitted WES report later on October. Haven’t got any interview invitation😖 getting anxious also😅

Submitted my application on September and submitted WES report later on October. Haven’t got any interview invitation😖 getting anxious also😅

Don't lose hope before the last interview date has passed :)

• Sad
Joining the waiting game too. Just finished applicant day. The interview was quite scary
Hahahaha. Sorry about your experience. When I did mine last year, it was super awkward, but it was good in general. During the applicant day, there was a lot of interactions between professors and the candidates. Some people(current classmates) found it scary, but not I can see why we did that. It’s because med school is very interactive. You will have a lot of interaction with patients and professors as a clinician. So, our professors on purpose ask questions to see if you feel comfortable with it during interview. So, if you felt scared of this culture, sorry about that. But that’s what you will experience thru this journey. And please stay positive because the training at Duke NUS will help with this issue if you have it 🥰

Hahahaha. Sorry about your experience. When I did mine last year, it was super awkward, but it was good in general. During the applicant day, there was a lot of interactions between professors and the candidates. Some people(current classmates) found it scary, but not I can see why we did that. It’s because med school is very interactive. You will have a lot of interaction with patients and professors as a clinician. So, our professors on purpose ask questions to see if you feel comfortable with it during interview. So, if you felt scared of this culture, sorry about that. But that’s what you will experience thru this journey. And please stay positive because the training at Duke NUS will help with this issue if you have it 🥰
Thanks for sharing with us your experience! Would you mind sharing with us why it was awkward for you? Also, were there anyone who was placed in the waitlist but received offer at last? Thanks

BTW, any mates here received offers or interview invitation?

Thanks for sharing with us your experience! Would you mind sharing with us why it was awkward for you? Also, were there anyone who was placed in the waitlist but received offer at last? Thanks

Submitted app in Sept, interviewed in Sep, still waiting to hear back... Getting a little antsier every day >_<

1) I found the applicant's day a bit awkward because people didn't know each other very well.

2) After admissions, classmates don't talk about their admission stories often (we don't talk about GPA/MCAT/publication numbers/volunteer/waitlist status/whether you got into it on your first try). So, I can't answer your question. Sorry!

Submitted app in Sept, interviewed in Sep, still waiting to hear back... Getting a little antsier every day >_<
Same...
Getting very anxious now. Nobody around me is applying for this program so have no idea what is going on...
I am wondering whether they gave out more offers or not. Although nobody is reporting here, people who post on SDN is just a small subset of people.
Everyday I am trying to recall if I did anything wrong during my interview, sigh.

Do people think sending in an update will help? Or will it delay the review process? I am going to go nuts if I have to wait longer. :eek:
I really want to leave the US (also no offer from the US until now) and I really like Singapore. I will be really really sad if this program rejects me QAQ

Same...
Getting very anxious now. Nobody around me is applying for this program so have no idea what is going on...
I am wondering whether they gave out more offers or not. Although nobody is reporting here, people who post on SDN is just a small subset of people.
Everyday I am trying to recall if I did anything wrong during my interview, sigh.

Do people think sending in an update will help? Or will it delay the review process? I am going to go nuts if I have to wait longer. :eek:
I really want to leave the US (also no offer from the US until now) and I really like Singapore. I will be really really sad if this program rejects me QAQ

Yooooo it sounded like I could've written your whole post!! :lol: Hmm now that you said it, I realize I had to send out two application updates so far (for publications), so I wonder if that delayed the process :/ Would be very ironic if that ended up delaying the decision because I really did it thinking it would help T_______T

We're literally in the same boat friend, I'm really hoping to move to Singapore too (I'm even holding off on buying winter clothes this year for this reason :rofl:) It's still very early though, so I'll keep my fingers crossed for us both :xf: I'd love to be classmates with all the fellow applicants I met in the September interview day, you all are awesome ToT

Hi everyone :) I had my interview earlier this month, and during the interview, my interviewer told me that we will hear back in 4-6 weeks. Wonder if anyone else heard the same information? Hahaha wondering when I should start freaking out :')

Hello everyone! I interviewed on 14 Sep and received an offer on 6 Nov. All the very best to those who are still waiting!! Don't lose hope and stay positive! Really excited to meet all of you guys in school!

Reactions: 5 users
Hi everyone :) I had my interview earlier this month, and during the interview, my interviewer told me that we will hear back in 4-6 weeks. Wonder if anyone else heard the same information? Hahaha wondering when I should start freaking out :')

I interviewed in September and I don't think anyone told me when I would hear back :( You're welcome to hop on the freaking out train with me and a few others on this thread tho, hehehe :clap:

Hello everyone! I interviewed on 14 Sep and received an offer on 6 Nov. All the very best to those who are still waiting!! Don't lose hope and stay positive! Really excited to meet all of you guys in school!

Woah congrats! Do you know of any other people who's gotten in already? I really don't know any other applicants... (except for the fellow contributors to this thread, of course :D)

Woah congrats! Do you know of any other people who's gotten in already? I really don't know any other applicants... (except for the fellow contributors to this thread, of course :D)
Thank you:) I only realised my friend was also applying when I saw him on zoom that day! But I think he is still waiting too. Fingers crossed for you all! I really hope we can all be classmates!! 😁