2019-2020 Western University of Health Sciences (Lebanon, Oregon)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yeah, I heard from a friend last year there was about 60 on alternate list and 25 on the highly ranked waitlist. I don’t know how many get accepted but I do know not everyone does. Can’t speak to chances because it changes every year, a lot of variables.

Best of luck
Thank you so much. Every bit of info helps put things into context.

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard that first years will all get iPads at the beginning of classes. Does anyone know if this is true?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard that first years will all get iPads at the beginning of classes. Does anyone know if this is true?

I’m also curious about this. I want to upgrade to the current gen so I can get an Apple Pencil, but don’t know if I should just wait for class to start.

Reactions: 1 users
Gave up my acceptance here the other day, hope it goes to one of you guys on the waitlist!

March 7 (today) interview canceled due to corona virus scare in Oregon/Washington area. Got the email earlier this week, stated this was the last interview date and we had two options:
1) wait for update on when to reschedule
2) set up virtual interview

The email from the dean also stated that any travel expenses would be reimbursed.

Wild. Think I will be canceling interview anyway for closer, more optimal options.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Could a current student comment on the approximate amount of time spent each week in OMM lab? What about IPE?

Does the time commitment change during 2nd year?

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know when they send out financial aid award info?
"Early Spring"
As of last week, they confirmed that they were just starting to download our FAFSA applications and hadn't started generating awards yet. Still hasn't prevented me from checking my school email twice a day though.

• Haha
"Early Spring"
As of last week, they confirmed that they were just starting to download our FAFSA applications and hadn't started generating awards yet. Still hasn't prevented me from checking my school email twice a day though.
How does the award work with people that will be doing ISAC? Since they are supposed to be awarded more, and there hasn't been an official sign up yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
How does the award work with people that will be doing ISAC? Since they are supposed to be awarded more, and there hasn't been an official sign up yet.

I believe the only thing that changes is the date they distribute the funds, you guys get it a couple months earlier. I don't think the date they generate the awards varies. Not sure about ISAC students needing more funds or how that works.

Any movements from the alternate list so far?

I believe the only thing that changes is the date they distribute the funds, you guys get it a couple months earlier. I don't think the date they generate the awards varies. Not sure about ISAC students needing more funds or how that works.
The budget page shows that ISAC students get additional living/travel expenses since they start school 2 months early.

The budget page shows that ISAC students get additional living/travel expenses since they start school 2 months early.
I mean it'd make sense for your awards to be generated first, but that'd require a finalized list of ISAC students. Maybe tuition due dates are different for those students. :shrug:

I mean it'd make sense for your awards to be generated first, but that'd require a finalized list of ISAC students. Maybe tuition due dates are different for those students. :shrug:
I guess we'll find out :p

I’m also curious about this. I want to upgrade to the current gen so I can get an Apple Pencil, but don’t know if I should just wait for class to start.

i would wait.. as a first year we did get iPads but they were donated to us from the community. We also got it during orientation week so you could potentially buy the iPad right before school starts, but after conference week, to make sure you aren’t getting one. Or buy it now if it’s on sale, keep receipts and if they give you one, return the one you bought. You can’t sell westerns just an fyi

Hey
Could a current student comment on the approximate amount of time spent each week in OMM lab? What about IPE?

Does the time commitment change during 2nd year?

hey so Omm is 4 hours a week, sometimes 3 hours

CMR (learning dr skills) is 4 hours most weeks, sometimes 3’

both usually on Monday and Tuesday

IPE is Probably 2 hours probably 3-4x times a block, In either Albany at the community college or at our school. We are grouped with pharmacy students from Corvallis and nurses/LPN’s from LBCC. It’s inter-professional education, so we do group projects, listen to speakers, etc. it runs from Sept-April.

we also have mandatories on Friday usually 8/9am till 12/1pm.

• Hmm
Any updates on the FB class page?

Looks like the FB page just went up.

The 2023-2024 connections page just went up indeed. If you are part of the class of 2024, please feel free to join it. PM me if you are having trouble finding it or need a direct invite.

Also... who are you snowcrawler85 :D?

The 2023-2024 connections page just went up indeed. If you are part of the class of 2024, please feel free to join it. PM me if you are having trouble finding it or need a direct invite.

Also... who are you snowcrawler85 :D?

who dis? I can’t message you, but it would be probably easy to figure out

Last edited:
Accepted! So happy. I have multiple acceptances but going with this school, I loved how kind the people were and it is close to home.

Reactions: 4 users
Any movements from the alternate list so far?
Which list are you on? The "we have accepted you but there are no open spots at this time" waitlist or the standard waitlist? This school has both. If the first one then yes, I was moved off that list.

• Love
So has anyone heard if the virus is having an effect on the ISAC program?

Not sure about the Lebanon campus, but at Pomona, we got an email saying as of now it's not cancelled but might be depending on how this plays out. They also made hint toward it being hard to do something virtual but not impossible? Not sure what they meant by that. I think it's just going to be a decision thats made based on where the trajectory of the virus goes.

Reactions: 3 users
I just withdrew my acceptance here. It was gut wrenching, I love this school. I hope it goes to one of you holding out! :)

I can confirm that it is impacting ISAC, looks like Dean Crone gave an update to student leaders recently. Summarized from FB/student leaders:

You will have the option to get discounted iPads and have that covered by financial aid,
The donor who provided them is donating the rest to COVID relief instead this coming year, so if you already have one, don't buy another.
School does use the iPad for anatomy practicals, seems like the school wants you to have them for anatomy practicals.

Also, "WesternU will move ISAC to a virtual platform this year given the current COVID climate; takes the pressure off of those of you planning to do ISAC to relocate if we may or may not be able to gather by that time. Obviously with dissections this isn't ideal, but I can tell you from personal experience that the anatomy department is working incredibly hard on a virtual class that will be excellent for you guys. We are currently learning the GI system anatomy online and, though there were kinks at first, our professors have made videos and lectures that have been $$."

Hi! I will be coming here in the fall, I was wondering what's a good place/city to live around lebanon? Where do students usually live in and what's the price range?

Hi! I will be coming here in the fall, I was wondering what's a good place/city to live around lebanon? Where do students usually live in and what's the price range?

Join the class connection page on Facebook and ask there, a lot of students live in different places

Are any current students involved with or know much about COMP-NW's biomedical and clinical research track? I'm very interested, but it seems new and there isn't a lot of info online other than a few testimonials.

Are a significant number of students involved? Is it reasonable to expect to be involved in research if you want to be?

Do people have opportunities to publish? Are people traveling to nearby universities?

Any insight of the program that isn't listed in this link would be greatly appreciated: Biomedical & Clinical Research Track | Longitudinal Tracks

thanks

Are any current students involved with or know much about COMP-NW's biomedical and clinical research track? I'm very interested, but it seems new and there isn't a lot of info online other than a few testimonials.

Are a significant number of students involved? Is it reasonable to expect to be involved in research if you want to be?

Do people have opportunities to publish? Are people traveling to nearby universities?

Any insight of the program that isn't listed in this link would be greatly appreciated: Biomedical & Clinical Research Track | Longitudinal Tracks

thanks

Hey, I am sure there are people in this track so this would be a great question for the Facebook page.

Most students do research of some kind, but it’s usually clinical research. Every department has projects you can jump on, or you can even do your own. Since lebanon has its own bench research lab I don’t think people travel to other universities.

I am part of the applied anatomy track and you get to be a part of two projects in that track at least, and you can do more if you want. Mine are associated with examination with ultrasound for hip and pelvis.

That really didn’t answer your question but yeah most of us have projects going.

Last edited:
Hey, I am sure there are people in this track so this would be a great question for the Facebook page.

Most students do research of some kind, but it’s usually clinical research. Every department has projects you can jump on, or you can even do your own. Since lebanon has its own bench research lab I don’t think people travel to other universities.

I am part of the applied anatomy track and you get to be a part of two projects in that track at least, and you can do more if you want. Mine are associated with examination with ultrasound for hip and pelvis.

That really didn’t answer your question but yeah most of us have projects going.

Thanks for the reply.

I’d prefer keeping these sorts of questions on SDN for several reasons.

It is helpful to know those who are involved typically focus on clinical trials. Hope you are enjoying the anatomy track.

I was surprised to see the recent large increase in NIH funding relative to some other schools and trying to determine if home research outside of clinical trial / case report programs is actually productive.. or is the grant funding accounted by because rapid hire of PIs?

I’m confused as to why student publications post-2015 are made private, unless there is a bug or the portal needs updating.

Thanks again

Thanks for the reply.

I’d prefer keeping these sorts of questions on SDN for several reasons.

It is helpful to know those who are involved typically focus on clinical trials. Hope you are enjoying the anatomy track.

I was surprised to see the recent large increase in NIH funding relative to some other schools and trying to determine if home research outside of clinical trial / case report programs is actually productive.. or is the grant funding accounted by because rapid hire of PIs?

I’m confused as to why student publications post-2015 are made private, unless there is a bug or the portal needs updating.

Thanks again

Well as you know there really aren’t that many current students on SDN, so N=1 at this point. Within the first couple months of school each track will have an informative meeting/lunch where students listen to a presentation, get lunch and ask questions about the track. I recommend attending all the meetings so you can see which track fits you best or none at all. After all the informative meetings have been completed you then apply to be a part of the track you chose.

You don’t have to be in a track to do research just FYI.

Well as you know there really aren’t that many current students on SDN, so N=1 at this point. Within the first couple months of school each track will have an informative meeting/lunch where students listen to a presentation, get lunch and ask questions about the track. I recommend attending all the meetings so you can see which track fits you best or none at all. After all the informative meetings have been completed you then apply to be a part of the track you chose.

You don’t have to be in a track to do research just FYI.
Super helpful, thanks!

Anyone know when alternate list movement might begin?

Anyone know when alternate list movement might begin?

It looks like mid-may is reasonable time frame to see things start to pick up. Most people are committing to one school prior to May 15th.

Hope that helps!

Are exams professor written or NBME?
I could've swore on the interview day someone mentioned the school recently started using NBME exams but I can't find much information online.

Are exams professor written or NBME?
I could've swore on the interview day someone mentioned the school recently started using NBME exams but I can't find much information online.

All quizzes, midterms and finals are professor written. However, a lot of our faculty write questions for the board exams, and do a good job.

During the 4 conference weeks you will take cumulative exams for FOM 1 (October) and FOM III (March) they are Kaplan and retired NBME question exams and after FOM II (March) and FOM IV (June) you will take a NBME cumulative exam, In a controlled test environment.

However, should note, we cannot take NBME while distance learning because of security around giving the exam cannot be controlled, so we are taking a cumulative exam from Kaplan and retired NBME questions this year in June.

All quizzes, midterms and finals are professor written. However, a lot of our faculty write questions for the board exams, and do a good job.

During the 4 conference weeks you will take cumulative exams for FOM 1 (October) and FOM III (March) they are Kaplan and retired NBME question exams and after FOM II (March) and FOM IV (June) you will take a NBME cumulative exam, In a controlled test environment.

However, should note, we cannot take NBME while distance learning because of security around giving the exam cannot be controlled, so we are taking a cumulative exam from Kaplan and retired NBME questions this year in June.

Ah, that's what it was - conference weeks. Thanks for the clarification and sorry to hear that the controlled test was cancelled for you guys, seems like taking it would be good practice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, that's what it was - conference weeks. Thanks for the clarification and sorry to hear that the controlled test was cancelled for you guys, seems like taking it would be practice.

Yeah big bummer actually, it’s pretty much the only way to measure yourself to the rest of the country, hopefully we get to take them next year...

• Sad
Just withdrew my acceptance from here today. Hope it goes out to one of you on here. This is a great school.

JUST ACCEPTED OFF THE ALTERNATE LIST!!! This is my first A and I am sobbing. See y’all soon ‍⚕️

Reactions: 4 users
Just withdrew my acceptance from here today. Hope it goes out to one of you on here. This is a great school.

Well it’s looking like it might have gone to me. Thank you for your sacrifice for my life hahahaha