2019-2020 VCOM/Bluefield MABS Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard anything recently? I have been completed and under review since middle of November.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard anything recently? I have been completed and under review since middle of November.

As a current student, we started winter break middle of November and are coming back for Spring semester Monday. Since many of the faculty also teach at VCOM. They may have taken the holiday times off from reviewing apps once us MABS and the VCOM students were out for break. Best of luck and I hope you hear something soon!

As a current student, we started winter break middle of November and are coming back for Spring semester Monday. Since many of the faculty also teach at VCOM. They may have taken the holiday times off from reviewing apps once us MABS and the VCOM students were out for break. Best of luck and I hope you hear something soon!
Thanks for the reply Nala! Would you mind if I DM you my stats and EC's and you let me know my chances of getting in?

Members don't see this ad :)
check the 2020-2021 vcom mabs thread! I got an email around mid December stating that they would start making decisions by the end of January. Other people on the new thread said the same thing too.

check the 2020-2021 vcom mabs thread! I got an email around mid December stating that they would start making decisions by the end of January. Other people on the new thread said the same thing too.
I did too but was hoping people were hearing things sooner. I didn't even know there was a 2020-2021 thread lol thanks for telling me!

Thanks for the reply Nala! Would you mind if I DM you my stats and EC's and you let me know my chances of getting in?

You can DM me. If you can't, let me know and I can message you.

I can't DM you please DM me.

I'll DM as soon as I can. I tried but it seems SDN is not working for me right now and cannot load much.

Edit: I cannot sent you a DM. I found you, but it says that your profile does not allow me to send a message either.

Last edited:
I'll DM as soon as I can. I tried but it seems SDN is not working for me right now and cannot load much.

Edit: I cannot sent you a DM. I found you, but it says that your profile does not allow me to send a message either.
Sorry I just changed my privacy settings lol so it should be fixed

Hey guys! Congrats on everyone that was accepted so far! Just got my acceptance last week - I went to tech undergrad so I’m familiar with apartments and locations If anyone has questions - also looking for a roommate or two (female) if anyone is interested just message me !

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know how many members are on the committee of admissions and how many votes you need for acceptance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Nala, could you private message me so I can ask you some questions about VCOM? I applied in December and am debating other SMP's as well. Was not sure what the best one for me was.

Would I be able to DM you for questions in regards to the program and outlook?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys!
Those of you who are currently in the program, what is the situation with the virus? Did they convert into remote/online instruction? And what is happening with the medical school classes?

Hey guys!
Those of you who are currently in the program, what is the situation with the virus? Did they convert into remote/online instruction? And what is happening with the medical school classes?

Each VCOM campus has switched to on-line formatting, as have we for at least the next three weeks. It appears exams will be online. As for the med students, I have no clue how they are going about doing things like anatomy lab and OMM that people need to be present for.

Each VCOM campus has switched to on-line formatting, as have we for at least the next three weeks. It appears exams will be online. As for the med students, I have no clue how they are going about doing things like anatomy lab and OMM that people need to be present for.
Hey guys!

med student former MABS student, we are also online. few practicals are postponed until they can figure something out. One praactical (anatomy) has been converted to online

med student former MABS student, we are also online. few practicals are postponed until they can figure something out. One praactical (anatomy) has been converted to online

Another update for current MABS. We have gone fully online. They sent us new schedules and we are doing exams combined, as in 2 subjects per exam to make up for lost time. For anyone who may be following this thread still as reference for information, do not be alarmed if staff take longer to get back to you as they are doing their best to get us current students situated again for classes right now.

Hey guys. Is it too late to apply here? And is it very competitive to get in?

As long as it is before the deadline, it is not too late. We had people get in this past year who applied on the deadline date. However, it is competitive. I think Dr Hill said that for our current class, they received over 800 applications and they cap at 130

As long as it is before the deadline, it is not too late. We had people get in this past year who applied on the deadline date. However, it is competitive. I think Dr Hill said that for our current class, they received over 800 applications and they cap at 130
Okay sounds good. And I bet it's a really good program. I'm gonna apply and hope for best lol. Is there interview?

No interview. It is all based on your application information.
Okay sounds good. Thank you for input. Does the program allow students with higher than 494 mcat and 3.75 or higher GPA with seat for DO class? It said something about the mcat and gpa but wasnt sure if they change it every year.

Okay sounds good. Thank you for input. Does the program allow students with higher than 494 mcat and 3.75 or higher GPA with seat for DO class? It said something about the mcat and gpa but wasnt sure if they change it every year.

The program will accept students into MABS that have met at least the minimum requirements on the page. Once in the program, as long as benchmarks are met or you do them better than the baseline you need personally, then you will get a seat in the DO program.

Reactions: 1 users
The program will accept students into MABS that have met at least the minimum requirements on the page. Once in the program, as long as benchmarks are met or you do them better than the baseline you need personally, then you will get a seat in the DO program.
Okay thank you very much. Your replies are very helpful :)

Hey-

I'm starting the VCOM/MABS program in July for the 2020-2021 year and was wondering if anyone has textbooks from this year that they want to sell (to me?).. I was looking at the textbook list and prices look hella expensive LOL , so if don't need your textbooks anymore pls help a girl out!!

Hey-

I'm starting the VCOM/MABS program in July for the 2020-2021 year and was wondering if anyone has textbooks from this year that they want to sell (to me?).. I was looking at the textbook list and prices look hella expensive LOL , so if don't need your textbooks anymore pls help a girl out!!
I think some of my classmates might have been selling theirs on the Facebook group, but I know we all found 95% of them as online free PDFs to download and then never used them lol.

I think some of my classmates might have been selling theirs on the Facebook group, but I know we all found 95% of them as online free PDFs to download and then never used them lol.

Yeah I found them online but I would prefer hardcopy- if you could direct me to people who are selling them on the fb page I would be so so thankful :')

Yeah I found them online but I would prefer hardcopy- if you could direct me to people who are selling them on the fb page I would be so so thankful :')
I believe it was Desirae Vess on the FB group! I have no clue if she's sold them yet or not though!

If you end up not finding them, keep in mind that VCOM should have some copies of the books you can read, but not take out of the library or building!

I believe it was Desirae Vess on the FB group! I have no clue if she's sold them yet or not though!

If you end up not finding them, keep in mind that VCOM should have some copies of the books you can read, but not take out of the library or building!

yeah, she ended up selling them already :(- good to know about the VCOM building/library thing! If you know anyone else from the VCOM/MABS 2019-2020 group that wants to sell their books please lmk!

yeah, she ended up selling them already :(- good to know about the VCOM building/library thing! If you know anyone else from the VCOM/MABS 2019-2020 group that wants to sell their books please lmk!
Will do! I don't think many students bought the books but if I find someone ill send them your way!

MABS student from 2 years ago, you really do not need the textbooks and if you must have them just use the free pdfs trust me theyre free, you can use the search function to find stuff quick and it will be much easier if you even use them at all

Reactions: 1 users
Hi ! I was recently accepted to the program ! Could someone please give me info on people who are looking for roommates ! Thank you !

I was just waitlisted for the current cycle and was wondering if there was anyone who was waitlisted last year that was accepted after or are the chances pretty low once you’re on the list?

Would someone please advise me on whether the recommend GRAD PLUS loans vs. private loans?

If I have a 496, should I retake my MCAT and risk a lower score or hold off until after spring semester?

For the record, I've already been accepted into the program.

If I have a 496, should I retake my MCAT and risk a lower score or hold off until after spring semester?

For the record, I've already been accepted into the program.
With a 496, you just need to get a 3.6 GPA correct? I know they changed some of those requirements from my year that just finished but I would say if that's the case, don't retake. If you have an MCAT score that means you only need the 3.6 you are set since a higher MCAT will not mean you can get an even lower GPA. You wouldn't want to risk getting a lower score and then having to now get an ever higher GPA to meet benchmarks. 3.6 is very doable with the proper work and effort.

I was just waitlisted for the current cycle and was wondering if there was anyone who was waitlisted last year that was accepted after or are the chances pretty low once you’re on the list?

Hey, if you don't mind me asking, what are your stats? I am thinking of applying for the 2021-2022 year and am kinda nervous. I got off the phone with them this morning and was told that it would take a miracle for me to get in.

Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone would be willing to answer few of my questions so i don't have to scroll through the previous messages in this thread.
1. of the people who complete this program, how many end up going to medical school? any stats on the program outcomes?
2. between this program and ROWAN's GSBS program, which is better?

Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone would be willing to answer few of my questions so i don't have to scroll through the previous messages in this thread.
1. of the people who complete this program, how many end up going to medical school? any stats on the program outcomes?
2. between this program and ROWAN's GSBS program, which is better?
1. I just completed the program last year. Out of the 128 in my class, there was close to 115 that went until the end and did not drop. Out of those ~115, there were roughly 50-60 of us who made benchmarks in December with I believe an additional 30 making Spring benchmarks. Of those who did not make benchmarks, a few got accepted at other medical schools, some decided they preferred the PA or pod route, and some just decided not to do medicine at all.

2. I cannot answer your second question though, as I have no familiarity with the Rowan GSBS program. I would say the one benefit of Bluefield/VCOM over some program is that they have a guaranteed acceptance for everyone in the program if everyone meets the benchmarks. There is no competing for spots like other programs that accept 130 students but only have 100 spots for their med school, etc.

Is there a new thread for the new application cycle?

Another update for current MABS. We have gone fully online. They sent us new schedules and we are doing exams combined, as in 2 subjects per exam to make up for lost time. For anyone who may be following this thread still as reference for information, do not be alarmed if staff take longer to get back to you as they are doing their best to get us current students situated again for classes right now.
Hey for MABS how is the schedule for lectures and exams set up? Could you send it to me if you have it? thanks

Hey for MABS how is the schedule for lectures and exams set up? Could you send it to me if you have it? thanks
So I did the program last year when covid started. From talking to people currently in the program, they are doing it a bit different this year. I might try finding someone who said they were accepted to this years program and DM them since I dont know what the changes are. Best of luck!

Did anyone apply to this program with accredited online labs and courses? Thanks!

So I did the program last year when covid started. From talking to people currently in the program, they are doing it a bit different this year. I might try finding someone who said they were accepted to this years program and DM them since I dont know what the changes are. Best of luck!
for MABS they are doing 3rd benchmark as informal evaluation 30 to 45 minutes ?interview to just to get to knoe you?