2019-2020 VCOM/Bluefield MABS Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey everyone! they fixed the academic calendar link and now it downloads a word document for you.

I have a question about the FAFSA - did y'all have to fill out the parents' portion of it? I'm trying to get it done ASAP, but my financial advisor hasn't replied yet.

I filed as independent. Thank god for stafford and direct grad plus, cause I would not be able to afford it out of pocket and private loan would be a bitch. I took out the whole COA.

Members don't see this ad.

Still waiting for a decision. My summer semester starts on Monday. I’d like to know if I need to change my schedule based on acceptance/rejection. Should I call? Just suck it up and deal with my old lady/PreMed anxiety? Who would I even call?

I'd give them the rest of this week and next week, and then give them a call if you still haven't heard back after that. Their office number is 540-231-8687.

Hey Raindrop! How's the second semester going? Hope all is well. Quick question, how much do the school take into consideration of the student's campus choice after the acceptance from MABS?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Raindrop! How's the second semester going? Hope all is well. Quick question, how much do the school take into consideration of the student's campus choice after the acceptance from MABS?

Hey, I can help answer this.

While they do allow you to pick your preference, I think they mostly base it on which campus is closest to your permanent address. For the VA campus, they only allowed people from certain states to apply to that campus based on the decision made by the dean of the VA VCOM campus. The intent is to spread the students out among the three locations rather than having all apply to just one campus (specifically the VA campus since the VA campus is the one that has been established the longest out of the three locations). I forget the exact list but I know Maryland, Virginia, and Pennsylvania residents , along with maybe 1 or 2 other states (?), were allowed to apply to VA campus this year. They made it sound like it changes from time to time since Pennsylvania was not originally of the list, but they allowed those students to apply to the VA campus this year. As for the Auburn and Carolinas campus, I believe that is mostly based on your permanent address although I am not too sure since I am a VA resident.

Now, they take your preference into consideration the most if you meet the December benchmarks. If you do not, then they will still consider your preference for the other benchmark reviews BUT it might be harder to get the campus you want since spots will start being filled up by the regular medical school applicants.

Also as an FYI, you will be given a chance to appeal the campus location if you have legitimate reason to attend a certain campus over the one you were assigned. They explain this process towards the end of the first semester so you be aware on how to navigate that process, if needed.

I hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone heard anything recently? Does anyone know how many spots are filled?

Anyone heard anything recently? Does anyone know how many spots are filled?

I know there's 49 of us so far according to the unofficial FB page. There's a chance that there is more.

Reactions: 1 user
Any accepted people wanna share their stats?
Anyone rejected or waitlisted yet?

I submitted my application on 04/12. It has been verified for a while now, and still hasn't moved to final review. Fingers crossed.

I submitted my application on 04/12. It has been verified for a while now, and still hasn't moved to final review. Fingers crossed.

Same spot as you, except I submitted mine about 2 weeks earlier than you. I am really hoping to at least get to final review soon. I'm worried that if I did get accepted, I won't find out until a few weeks before classes start, and that would be a long move to make in short notice for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is a reposting of my stats for those asking:

-I am from Louisiana and graduate in May with my BS in Toxicology
-Cumulative GPA: 3.51-- upward trend of semester GPAs
-sGPA: 3.28 (retook Organic 2--made a D and then an A, had some C's.. so my grades are by far not perfect, obviously)
-BCPM: 3.32
-Minors in Spanish and Biology
-Officer in a Toxicology Honor Society
-Member of a Spanish honor society
-Studied abroad in Costa Rica for two weeks
-PreMed Committee letter of rec
-ER volunteer for around 1.5 years (did NOT have direct patient care, but I did interact with patients, just did not take vital or anything along those lines)
-Letter of Rec from a MD
-Shadowed MD and DO equally---> around 80 shadowing hours total

Same spot as you, except I submitted mine about 2 weeks earlier than you. I am really hoping to at least get to final review soon. I'm worried that if I did get accepted, I won't find out until a few weeks before classes start, and that would be a long move to make in short notice for me.
Yeah that exactly my concern too! Really hoping to get in!

I was waitlisted :(

My application was complete on 2/25
I moved into final review on 4/8
I got wait listed on 4/17

Hope this helps!

Accepted!!! I don’t have to take the MCAT again!!!

Okay...now the hyperventilating starts. Oh boy. Where am I gonna live?

I don’t know exactly how to process my emotions right now. I think ice cream will help with that.

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted!!! I don’t have to take the MCAT again!!!

Okay...now the hyperventilating starts. Oh boy. Where am I gonna live?

I don’t know exactly how to process my emotions right now. I think ice cream will help with that.

I may have missed it, but could you share you submission datelines again?

EDIT: Also congrats! I bet it is sweet relief!

I was waitlisted :(

My application was complete on 2/25
I moved into final review on 4/8
I got wait listed on 4/17

Hope this helps!

Would you be willing to share you stats, or send me a DM if you don't want it public so I can see if I am following along the same stats as you? I like to be able to gauge where I am in standing, and I worry I am not as desirable as others.

I may have missed it, but could you share you submission datelines again?

EDIT: Also congrats! I bet it is sweet relief!

Yeah, posted elsewhere but I'll do it again.

I originally applied DO but they recommended I apply to their Masters program. That was obviously a while ago and had some extra processing involved. Application done and into Processing on March 27. Done with Processing and into Final Review on April 17. All of my emails have come in on Wednesdays so I guess that's my new lucky day.

Stats:
Undergrad (complete in 2009): c3.2, s2.9
Graduate (Entomology-hence screen name): 3.2
PostBac: 3.6.
MCAT: 498

Yeah, posted elsewhere but I'll do it again.

I originally applied DO but they recommended I apply to their Masters program. That was obviously a while ago and had some extra processing involved. Application done and into Processing on March 27. Done with Processing and into Final Review on April 17. All of my emails have come in on Wednesdays so I guess that's my new lucky day.

Stats:
Undergrad (complete in 2009): c3.2, s2.9
Graduate (Entomology-hence screen name): 3.2
PostBac: 3.6.
MCAT: 498

I remember seeing this now! Thank you again. I think the timeline to hear back is a tad longer right now due to a likely flux in applications when the deadline approached, so I am hoping within the next week I hear that my app has been moved to final review, because it has been almost 5 weeks. It sounds like after final review however, decisions are coming relatively quickly in relation to the time it takes to move from application received to final review.

Hello I feel awful asking this question, but how do I decline my seat? I've accepted a seat in a program closer to home and I would like for someone on the waiting list to have my seat earlier rather than later. However, in the email and paper mail correspondence I've received so far, they do not give me the option to decline. Any help would be appreciated :(

Hello I feel awful asking this question, but how do I decline my seat? I've accepted a seat in a program closer to home and I would like for someone on the waiting list to have my seat earlier rather than later. However, in the email and paper mail correspondence I've received so far, they do not give me the option to decline. Any help would be appreciated :(
Call them or email the admissions:
[email protected]

Did they email you saying you were waitlisted?
Yes!

Also for those asking for stats:

cGPA - 3.2ish
sGPA - 3.0ish

500+ Hours in a Free clinic
400+ hours research
Multiple leadership positions .

I'm assuming my GPA and lack of MCAT is why I was wait listed, although I am taking the MCAT soon!

How is everyone handling the health insurance coverage? I am far too old for parental carry-over. Any ideas?

I got accepted into the program last week! If anyone has to pick, would you choose VCOM, Touro Middletown, or RVU for MABS/MSBS program?

I say VCOM due to direct linkage assuming you meet benchmarks.

I
I got accepted into the program last week! If anyone has to pick, would you choose VCOM, Touro Middletown, or RVU for MABS/MSBS program?

I also second VCOM. Not just because of the direct guaranteed admission, but from what I’ve read from Goro. But I do kinda like Touro-M but for other, not logical reasons.

But in reality, go with your head and your gut. Do you have a cost, location, vibe preference? Think about that more than we random voices on the internet. I could secretly be a cat plotting to destroy the world.

As a current VCOM MABS student, I would not outright say to go here. I would most definitely look into all the programs and look more specifically into their schedules and rigor. VCOM has quite a grueling schedule and I have heard that this program is one of the hardest ones (schedule wise) in comparison to other programs. In addition, VCOM medical school itself is also very rigorous with multiple exams per week (something that you get more used to in the masters program in the second semester). If there are "easier" or "better" options out that that let you get into medical school, then why not take it? I know that one of the primary reasons many of my classmates came to this program compared to others was because of low MCAT score benchmarks. I personally decided with this place because I wanted to be close to my family for the masters program and through my medical school time. It just depends on what you prioritize...Would you rather be closer to home? Easier schedule? Lower benchmark requirements to allow a greater chance of getting into medical school? etc etc.

A quick side note: I know my comments might make it seem like VCOM/MABS program is very hard and I am trying to get you all to avoid coming here. That is most definitely not the case. It certainly is challenging but very doable if you put in the effort. I personally felt that the rigor and multiple exams was stressful (compared to undergrad), but it is completely manageable and I am on course to finish the whole year with a 4.0 GPA (just to put things in perceptive)

Th
As a current VCOM MABS student, I would not outright say to go here. I would most definitely look into all the programs and look more specifically into their schedules and rigor. VCOM has quite a grueling schedule and I have heard that this program is one of the hardest ones (schedule wise) in comparison to other programs. In addition, VCOM medical school itself is also very rigorous with multiple exams per week (something that you get more used to in the masters program in the second semester). If there are "easier" or "better" options out that that let you get into medical school, then why not take it? I know that one of the primary reasons many of my classmates came to this program compared to others was because of low MCAT score benchmarks. I personally decided with this place because I wanted to be close to my family for the masters program and through my medical school time. It just depends on what you prioritize...Would you rather be closer to home? Easier schedule? Lower benchmark requirements to allow a greater chance of getting into medical school? etc etc.

A quick side note: I know my comments might make it seem like VCOM/MABS program is very hard and I am trying to get you all to avoid coming here. That is most definitely not the case. It certainly is challenging but very doable if you put in the effort. I personally felt that the rigor and multiple exams was stressful (compared to undergrad), but it is completely manageable and I am on course to finish the whole year with a 4.0 GPA (just to put things in perceptive)

Thank you for your perspective and experience. Any recommendations on how to manage your schedule? What worked for you? What didn’t? I’m still trying to find the best methods of study and test taking.

Th

Thank you for your perspective and experience. Any recommendations on how to manage your schedule? What worked for you? What didn’t? I’m still trying to find the best methods of study and test taking.

My typical schedule consisted of something along these lines: Class in the mornings, come home and eat lunch, chill for 1 hr (ish), study with mini breaks in between, gym for ~ 1 hr, dinner, study a bit more if I feel like it, chill 1-2 hrs before going to sleep. Rinse repeat etc. Typically wake up around 7 (classes start at 8) and go to sleep around midnight. Everyone's schedule will be different. Quite a few of my classmates are early morning people (sleep at 10 PM and wake up at 4-5 AM and start the day by studying or going to the gym) but I am most definitely not a morning person.

When it comes to studying, I primarily solo study and go over the material myself at least 1-2 times. If there is time after I finish that, I will get together with a few of my friends and go over the material again to reinforce critical concepts and to make sure that none of us have any misunderstandings of the concepts. As I mentioned somewhere earlier in this thread, studying habits are going to differ widely among people. I know some people in the program who will only solo study and I know people on the opposite spectrum who will only study well in groups. You just have to find what works best for you. The biggest thing is...If it doesn't work, don't force it. If you notice that your studying habits have not been yielding the results that you are happy with, change it up slightly and see if that works better for you. The key is to establish a good rhythm early on so.

I know what I told you is quite vague and is probably useless to you, but I really can't tell you what will work for you. It is a process and will take a few weeks to get down. Don't be discouraged if you don't start of very strong because the first few weeks are meant to allow you to adapt and improve as needed. Hopefully all this helps somewhat. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys! Currently trying to figure out if I should apply next cycle (2020-2021), but wanted some input on how my stats are looking for this program:
Major = Neuroscience
sGPA = 3.0 (made some mistakes in o-chem and physics, but retook both and got A's)
cGPA = 3.3
Mcat = taking in January
Research = 2 published papers, 400 hours
Clinical = EMT -- ~5,000 hours (2 agencies)
Volunteering = 200 hours (homeless shelter)
Shadowing = 80 hours (MD and DO)
Leadership positions = 2 held
Letter of Rec. = from MD and Professor

Any advice? I know my GPA could for sure hold me back, but not much I can do about it, now :(

Anyone hear back recently?

I am still in a limbo. I am hoping that this week they put me into final review as it has been about 5 weeks since they emailed me saying that my application was received.

I am still in a limbo. I am hoping that this week they put me into final review as it has been about 5 weeks since they emailed me saying that my application was received.
Literally same!

Hey guys! Currently trying to figure out if I should apply next cycle (2020-2021), but wanted some input on how my stats are looking for this program:
Major = Neuroscience
sGPA = 3.0 (made some mistakes in o-chem and physics, but retook both and got A's)
cGPA = 3.3
Mcat = taking in January
Research = 2 published papers, 400 hours
Clinical = EMT -- ~5,000 hours (2 agencies)
Volunteering = 200 hours (homeless shelter)
Shadowing = 80 hours (MD and DO)
Leadership positions = 2 held
Letter of Rec. = from MD and Professor

Any advice? I know my GPA could for sure hold me back, but not much I can do about it, now :(
I would apply! You have lots of extracurricular activities outside of the GPA. Get the 494 benchmark for the MCAT when you take it in January. Good luck!

• Love
Thank you! Although the other two programs also have linkage with different requirements.
I think it depends on which program is the best fit for you. I was also accepted to several including VCOM and RVU. Ultimately I chose RVU because I felt like I would have the best chance of success there. I think all are great schools that can help you link into their respective medical schools you just have to look at all the factors and see which masters is the best fit and also if you do matriculate into their medical schools which medical school would you like to be at.

Just an update for anyone who is still in a limbo like myself!

I got the email that I was in the review committee queue on 4/8/19. I just got an email today 5/15/19 that my application has moved to final review! They anticipate up to 2 weeks before a final decision will be made.

Does anyone else have any updates?

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone,

I just got accepted. I transfer my application from AACOMAS to PostBac on 3/28, final review 4/30, and accepted 5/13.

Hang in there everyone that is still waiting.

Reactions: 6 users
Just an update for anyone who is still in a limbo like myself!

I got the email that I was in the review committee queue on 4/8/19. I just got an email today 5/15/19 that my application has moved to final review! They anticipate up to 2 weeks before a final decision will be made.

Does anyone else have any updates?
Nope not yet! :( Really scared!

Nope not yet! :( Really scared!

I totally understand! I see that you submitted your app a couple weeks after me, and I just this week was placed in final review. So, it took them about 5 weeks to move me to final review! Keep on waiting! Good luck!!!

Is there a facebook group for the incoming group? I need to start looking for apartments/roommates!

Just got the email today that I have been accepted! I was put into final review on 5/15! Good luck to everyone else waiting to hear back and for everyone who has been accepted, I look forward to meeting you all in July!

Reactions: 4 users