2019-2020 Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences (PNWU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do they care about it though? My local DO admissions advisor dismissed it as kinda meh when I met with them to discuss why they were not interested in me as a potential student.
If you have any volunteer work with underserved/disadvantaged patients and you interview remotely well you’re fine

Members don't see this ad.

I do and I hope this is true because my family is so over this process. Thanks for the encouragement.

I would go for it!! Especially if you like the school's mission and believe you would be a good fit! Are you from the PNW?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
When you mean low gpa, how low are we talking about, approximately?

Yes I am from the PNW and I want to work with homeless populations as a community-based physician, primary care family medicine etc.

My wife is from a rural area and it is likely that as a family that is where would like to settle down, that mainly drives my desire to work rurally as a physician not necessarily any direct experiences, is this something that I should mention or just stick to my experiences working with urban underserved populations?

That sounds awesome and that you'd be a GREAT fit with the mission and vision of PNWU! I'd say still interview if you like the school! It couldn't hurt in my opinion and worst comes to worst you get on the waitlist. They take a lot of people off of the waitlist!

OA GPA 3.1-3.2 OA SGPA 3.25-3.3, a disaster of a transcript with W's and F's from before I really decided to change my life and who I was. My last 70 credits in upper-division and graduate-level science courses were completed at a 3.9
Your GPA and MCAT are 110% fine! PNWU wants to produce PCPs serving rural/underserved areas (which they'll make sure you know at the interview lol) so emphasize both if you have experiences with them and make sure they know that you fit the mission. They did ask about bad grades at my interview so have a good answer for that though. It's a diverse interview day with lots of different stations so they really want to see how you are as a person also. Honestly, with your stats and volunteer work, if you interview even just decently I can't see why you wouldn't get in like others have said.

Just got the call. Interviewed 2/28. See you in the fall.

PS: My stats aren’t great, definitely an underdog. Non-trad, ORM, ecstatic right now. DM me if you want to get some Thai food in the fall, haha.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Interviewing soon, would anyone be kind enough to provide some insights regarding how to make the best out of interview day? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Interviewing soon, would anyone be kind enough to provide some insights regarding how to make the best out of interview day? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
It's a good interview day overall and pretty relaxed. They try to look at interviewees in many ways I think with the different stations and set ups they have during the day. Honestly, just be relaxed and a good team player throughout the day. Know your app and why PNWU/rural medicine as well!

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a good interview day overall and pretty relaxed. They try to look at interviewees in many ways I think with the different stations and set ups they have during the day. Honestly, just be relaxed and a good team player throughout the day. Know your app and why PNWU/rural medicine as well!
What is the format of the interviews? Is it MMI or traditional?

Does a desire to work with immigrants and homeless either in urban or rural settings work or if I have no direct experience with rural medicine am I in trouble? I personally would like to live rurally, my wife grew up in rural Sweden and we think it suits us better. Nothing on my application is indicative of that though.
I don’t think it hurts. I talked about my experience working with the homeless in my interview and it seemed to go over well. I am from a rural community though so our situations aren’t exactly the same. Just be truthful about your experiences and let your passion shine through.

Does a desire to work with immigrants and homeless either in urban or rural settings work or if I have no direct experience with rural medicine am I in trouble? I personally would like to live rurally, my wife grew up in rural Sweden and we think it suits us better. Nothing on my application is indicative of that though.
Honestly I don’t think I mentioned rural medicine at all in my interview or maybe I did once, but I’m from a really small town and my whole app had underserved/rural stuff all over it. However, if you want to practice in a rural place I’d definitely try to work it into the interview somehow. Also, yakima has a large migrant farmer population that pnwu helps take care of so if that’s your thing, mention that too

Any crazy clinical exposure or volunteer work? Congratulations I really hope we are going to be classmates.
I did some extensive volunteer work with homeless youth and other disadvantaged populations. I had HCE as a CNA and as a Researcher at a large hospital. If you want more details, PM me. I am nothing special, I think I just fit their mission statement well.
I would just recommend being yourself, the whole interview experience is very relaxed. None of it is going to push you ethically, I think they just truly want to see if you are a good fit for their Culture.
Again, if you need anything don’t hesitate to PM. Good luck.

To those fortunate applicants who have already received the acceptance call, do you happen to remember who specifically makes the call?

As in who specifically calls you to notify you? Or who in particular is the one with the final say as to whether you’ve been accepted or not?

I will be withdrawing my II April 3. I hope it goes to one of y’all !

All future interviews will be conducted virtually. Not sure how this will work out but it is a huge letdown not being able to visit the campus in person :(

Reactions: 1 users
PACIFIC NORTHWEST UNIVERSITY OF HEALTH SCIENCES' RESPONSE TO COVID-19

Representatives from Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences (PNWU) are closely monitoring the coronavirus outbreak (COVID-19).

Following guidance from the CDC, Department of Education, Washington State Department of Health, and Yakima Health District, PNWU is implementing several measures to further contribute to the health of our campus and community. As the situation evolves, we will continue to study and measure the actions being taken to limit the spread of the virus to ensure that we are doing all we can to protect the health and safety of everyone in our community.

“The safety and well-being of PNWU students and employees continue to be our priority, along with the protection of our broader communities,” explained Dr. Michael Lawler, President of PNWU.

As of now, our campus remains open. Effective March 16, 2020, PNWU will shift to online and other alternative formats to deliver courses for the remainder of the semester. As part of community mitigation strategies to prevent the potential spread of the virus, students, faculty, and staff are encouraged to work remotely whenever possible, and have been instructed to not come to campus if sick. Additionally, individual accommodations are being made for those who need to care for ill household members, and all large university-related gatherings and events through the end of April have been cancelled.

These measures apply CDC-recommended practices of social distancing to help reduce exposure and increase containment of the virus, as preventing exposure and stopping transmission are keys to sustaining community health. Going forward, we will continually evaluate these approaches and adjust as warranted, and continue updating our community with the latest news relating to PNWU’s response to the coronavirus outbreak.

All future interviews will be conducted virtually. Not sure how this will work out but it is a huge letdown not being able to visit the campus in person :(
Totally agree. If offered acceptance at PNWU not sure how to decide over other offers without seeing the campus

I think this virtual interview is probably the worst thing that could have happened to my chances. Not to toot my own horn, but I am great in in-person situations and I do not know how well that will be conveyed over a skype link. Does anyone think that interviewees who perform their interviews virtually will be given the same consideration as in-person invitees? I just don't see the opportunity to make an impression in the same way. I finally thought I was going to be able to make my case for why I would make a great physician in person and now IDK crestfallen seems too light of a descriptor.

We are the at the bottom of the barrel interviewees. I think it is totally reasonable for them to place a heavier emphasis on paper stats than personal qualities for those of us who will be interviewing virtually, hard to judge a person via video feed. If you have any other As, focus on those at this point. If you do not have any As so far, better get out there and upgrade your internet speed, make sure to use Ethernet connection (Wired) instead of WiFi during the interview to avoid potential disconnections or signal loss.

Can a current student talk about rotation sites? I read somewhere that we could do clinical rotation in any of the 50 states. How does that work?

Can a current student talk about rotation sites? I read somewhere that we could do clinical rotation in any of the 50 states. How does that work?

I believe I remember them saying, it is only in 4th year that you have this flexibility? I could be wrong though.

Can any prospective interviewees for the remaining two dates share the specific email they received from PNWU for how the remaining two interviews will be conducted?

Can any prospective interviewees for the remaining two dates share the specific email they received from PNWU for how the remaining two interviews will be conducted?
"PNWU has made the decision to conduct our final interview days for this cycle virtually out of an abundance of caution. The interview experience will be different and we are working diligently to make the experience as useful and interactive as we can for both PNWU and the applicants. We will send out another email with details of the day as soon as they are finalized."

Reactions: 1 users
I do not understand what you mean. How is it still in person? Not trying to be rude just wondering if there is something you know that I missed.
It will all be virtually conducted. No more in-person interviews.

We are the at the bottom of the barrel interviewees. I think it is totally reasonable for them to place a heavier emphasis on paper stats than personal qualities for those of us who will be interviewing virtually, hard to judge a person via video feed. If you have any other As, focus on those at this point. If you do not have any As so far, better get out there and upgrade your internet speed, make sure to use Ethernet connection (Wired) instead of WiFi during the interview to avoid potential disconnections or signal loss.
You are not the bottom of the barrel interviewees and it’s unfair to everyone interviewing in the last spot to be labeled as such. I’m OMSII as well as a student ambassador (so I get to interact with interviewees regularly) and I know several students who interviewed during the last slot from my class and the class of 2023. A majority who interview just happened to submit their primary apps a little later than the average and IIs fill up fast (I was verified in sept and the earliest possible interview date was Feb/March). I know several students who interviewed on the last possible date and were accepted because they were just as accomplished and suitable for the schools mission as the students who interviewed on the first date. It literally doesn’t matter when you interview if you put your best foot forward and are a good match (from the schools point of view) you will be accepted

Reactions: 7 users
So what happens when we face technical issues in the middle of virtual interview? Rejection?

So what happens when we face technical issues in the middle of virtual interview? Rejection?
For you, definitely. Everyone else they would probably troubleshoot until the problem was resolved and resume where you left off. But, again, for you, rejection. Everyone is going to be going through the same situation, everyone is going to have to adjust to the new format, everyone is going to get a fair shake at the process, everyone who got an interview is a great candidate for the school (except you), that is why they sent the invite. Everything is going to be fine (except the technical issue that gets you your rejection).

You are not the bottom of the barrel interviewees and it’s unfair to everyone interviewing in the last spot to be labeled as such. I’m OMSII as well as a student ambassador (so I get to interact with interviewees regularly) and I know several students who interviewed during the last slot from my class and the class of 2023. A majority who interview just happened to submit their primary apps a little later than the average and IIs fill up fast (I was verified in sept and the earliest possible interview date was Feb/March). I know several students who interviewed on the last possible date and were accepted because they were just as accomplished and suitable for the schools mission as the students who interviewed on the first date. It literally doesn’t matter when you interview if you put your best foot forward and are a good match (from the schools point of view) you will be accepted
Ah I did not mean that we are lacking in stats or anything else compared to those who interviewed early, my stats are anything but "bottom of the barrel". I simply meant it in term of time and opportunity given. Now that the Adcom have reached the end of the barrel, most of the spots are now filled, so we will have to face the fact that it will be more selective for us late interviewers to gain those few spots left. In addition, remember they also have their own waitlist to select from.

I thought PNWU does not pull from waitlist until the interview cycle is over and then ranks it in its totality. Is this incorrect?

It doesn't matter when they will pull from the waitlist, the point is that you will be more likely rejected or waitlisted this late into the cycle.

Alright guys, this is recently uploaded to PNWU youtube channel. Seems like they are preparing for the virtual/remote interviewing process.

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone interviewing this Friday? Will you be Wearing a suit while attending the virtual interview?

Anyone interviewing this Friday? Will you be Wearing a suit while attending the virtual interview?
I would definitely recommend wearing a suit. I think it’s probably in your best interest to dress the same way you would if you were interviewing in person.

Reactions: 2 users
Totally agree. If offered acceptance at PNWU not sure how to decide over other offers without seeing the campus
If you’re accepted I’m sure you can still visit the campus. I’m not going here but the campus is actually pretty nice.

Can any current students, or anyone else that knows, comment on the changes between the 2020 and 2021 classes in regards to elective rotations in the 4th year? It seems instead of 16 weeks of unrestricted electives, there's now 28 weeks of unrestricted electives and only 8 weeks of the int med/surg elective requirements and am guessing this applies to subsequent classes. I don't remember this change mentioned at my interview and I believe this is new? Seems like a good thing, I just want to make sure I'm interpreting this right.