2019-2020 New York Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got a pre-II R today as well but was never put on hold! Good luck everyone else!

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Last year not a single person reported getting off the NYMC waitlist to start this past summer. Aka for the past two cycles it’s been really bad. Just being honest. I’m sure some people got off but I’ve never seen it on another thread where no one got off (a few got deferred acceptance) and this is a pretty big thread too
MSAR lists that 50 of 250 wait listed applicants get accepted, not sure how accurate it is

MSAR lists that 50 of 250 wait listed applicants get accepted, not sure how accurate it is

I certainly wouldn’t make any broad assumptions about wait list movement based on SDN forum postings (or lack thereof), but I also don’t fully trust the MSAR either. I’m guessing it’s less than 50 but definitely not 0 lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
I certainly wouldn’t make any broad assumptions about wait list movement based on SDN forum postings (or lack thereof), but I also don’t fully trust the MSAR either. I’m guessing it’s less than 50 but definitely not 0 lol.
I mean like its a known fact that very very few people got off the waitilists the last few years. Its not just based on SDN. The SDN trends were confirmed by the admissions deans who said the waitlists really weren't used and that some were offered deferred admissions.

I mean like its a known fact that very very few people got off the waitilists the last few years. Its not just based on SDN. The SDN trends were confirmed by the admissions deans who said the waitlists really weren't used and that some were offered deferred admissions.

Let’s make a bet, my money is on movement this year from NYMC waitlist. Any takers?

Reactions: 7 users
Let’s make a bet, my money is on movement this year from NYMC waitlist. Any takers?
I bet you ONE DOLLAR officially right here right now (for the record theres nothing more in the world than for all of you to get off the waitlist i know how much it sucks :(()

Last edited:
I have a theory. This is the first year that med schools cannot see what other schools an applicant has been accepted to. This creates a lot more uncertainty in whether or not an applicant will accept their offer. Med schools want to have the highest ratio of matriculants:acceptances for several reasons (increases prestige, rank, etc). Because they have no idea what other schools applicants have gotten into I feel like med schools in general are accepting less people up front and waitlisting more people. Additionally, even if that isn't true and they are not waitlisting more people, there is a good chance that there will be a lot more movement off waitlists in general because admissions committees are offering spots to applicants "blind" not knowing if that offer is comparable to another offer they have. Does this make sense? Thoughts?

Reactions: 1 users
I have a theory. This is the first year that med schools cannot see what other schools an applicant has been accepted to. This creates a lot more uncertainty in whether or not an applicant will accept their offer. Med schools want to have the highest ratio of matriculants:acceptances for several reasons (increases prestige, rank, etc). Because they have no idea what other schools applicants have gotten into I feel like med schools in general are accepting less people up front and waitlisting more people. Additionally, even if that isn't true and they are not waitlisting more people, there is a good chance that there will be a lot more movement off waitlists in general because admissions committees are offering spots to applicants "blind" not knowing if that offer is comparable to another offer they have. Does this make sense? Thoughts?

I think that started first with the 2018-2019 cycle. So this would be the second year I believe

You're right I just looked it up!

I still think your original point holds up though! Apparently last year when this new policy rolled out a bunch of schools (including nymc) over-enrolled, so perhaps this year they are being extra cautious and still adjusting to the new PTE/CTE rules. Just from what I can tell, it’s almost shocking how many people I know are stuck on so many waitlists, it doesn’t seem normal. Here’s hoping for big WL movement next month!

Reactions: 8 users
Did anyone receive a financial aid package yet?

Did anyone receive a financial aid package yet?
Financial Aid packages do not come out until the summer, but be aware that if you are hoping to see your financial aid package to try to choose between schools, you probably won't get much from NYMC. NYMC does not have merit-based aid that I know of. They have some grants for minority students, and they have some need-based grants. It's a small school with a small alumni and donor base. Don't expect to get a full-ride.

I am a current student, and I receive need-based aid. However, last year I had to take out at least $58k in loans (after the grant) to qualify for the need-based grant. I don't know if that is a number that is used for everyone, or if it was specifically calculated based on my FAFSA info, but I'm just sharing to let you know that even if you get need-based aid, you will probably still have significant loans each year.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In the Facebook group they said April 14 and we will get an email in the next week!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 26140FED-4223-4129-AD4A-8420161501C9.jpeg
    26140FED-4223-4129-AD4A-8420161501C9.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 153
I bet you ONE DOLLAR officially right here right now (for the record theres nothing more in the world than for all of you to get off the waitlist i know how much it sucks :(()

It’s a bet!

Also yes there’s a virtual second look, obviously this isn’t how things were originally planned but it will be something. Ask the hard questions!

Reactions: 2 users
got an email from admissions saying that they are in the process of updating their waitlist. they asked if I am still seriously interested in remaining on the waitlist. I'm sure it was a blast to all waitlisted students but I figured I'd post it on here!

got an email from admissions saying that they are in the process of updating their waitlist. they asked if I am still seriously interested in remaining on the waitlist. I'm sure it was a blast to all waitlisted students but I figured I'd post it on here!
I'm on waitlist and did not receive it. Interesting.

• Hmm
+2 on waitlist and did not get the email, was waitlisted 2/14 after jan 9 interview

• Sad

Did you send them an email after you were placed on the waitlist confirming that you wished to remain on it?

GUYS this **** happens every year it doesn't mean anything. Read last years thread. There was like a week long discussion about what IT MEANT and WHY DIDN"T I GET IT. But it was all fine in the end. It doesn't mean anything.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
GUYS this **** happens every year it doesn't mean anything. Read last years thread. There was like a week long discussion about what IT MEANT and WHY DIDN"T I GET IT. But it was all fine in the end. It doesn't mean anything.
dawg I wasn't implying anything. I was just keeping SDN updated!

Reactions: 5 users
WL a couple weeks ago and I also didn't receive it.

• Hmm
Hey I'm really glad you brought this to light. I did not know this was a factor. I first applied to med schools back in 2017 and reapplied this year. I interviewed at NYMC a few weeks ago. When I interviewed at UT Southwestern in 2017, they straight up asked me what other schools I was interviewing at. While I found incredibly unsettling at the time, I wondered if they checked up on it after asking me just to see if i was a "competitive" applicant in their eyes. Makes sense now.

That being said, I'm not on a waitlist and wasn't on hold. Hoping to hear back soon!! Take care :)

Last edited:
I have an interview for Thursday (they are still holding it). Anyone else interviewing?
Hey I interviewed 03/26. it was orignally 03/17 but they rescheduled bc of COVID. Did you do the phone interview as well? Let me know when you hear back!

Does anyone know if the Facebook group has more current students as members other than the admins?

Does anyone know if the Facebook group has more current students as members other than the admins?

As far as I can tell there are about 15-20 current students in the group

Just made an account to say I got an acceptance this morning! Interviewed 2/25

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
accepted today after being waitlisted in december! maybe they're looking at the WL earlier this year?

• Love
Reactions: 16 users