*** 2019-2020 MD/PhD cycle - Questions, Comments, and other things ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thoughts on calling mstp admissions offices to see if they received my app update/pre-II interest letter? Was complete at 2 t10 places in july but have not heard back, and they have ~1 month before their last listed interview online. Never received confirmation they saw it. Another t10 did extend an II shortly after my interest letter, which they also confirmed reception of by email. I figure worst case they already decided not to interview me, so why not call? Yay or nay?
As long as you do it in a non-pushy way, I would say yay. Based on the timing and the success you've already had this cycle, it seems like you are in a great spot and don't have anything to lose!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Sent an update to Johns Hopkins and got a rejection email... lollllll

Might have just been poor timing and not actually related to your update. A few people I know got rejections today too (me included lol)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Questions for interviewees/acceptees at OSU-MSTP. Got the email from OSU-MSTP, and they're asking for a checklist for: CV, statement of purpose, transcripts, GRE and LOR.
  • Can I send my MD/PhD statement for the statement of purpose? Or should I write up another statement similar to the statement of purpose for graduate schools?
  • I've already sent my transcripts once already in Aug to their GPAsmissions email, do they need them again?
  • Are they actually expecting a GRE score?
Just wanted to clarify some things that I was confused about, would greatly appreciate any insight! Thanks for reading this lengthy post lol

Questions for interviewees/acceptees at OSU-MSTP. Got the email from OSU-MSTP, and they're asking for a checklist for: CV, statement of purpose, transcripts, GRE and LOR.
  • Can I send my MD/PhD statement for the statement of purpose? Or should I write up another statement similar to the statement of purpose for graduate schools?
  • I've already sent my transcripts once already in Aug to their GPAsmissions email, do they need them again?
  • Are they actually expecting a GRE score?
Just wanted to clarify some things that I was confused about, would greatly appreciate any insight! Thanks for reading this lengthy post lol

1. The statements are graduate school specific (one for each school you selected on the secondary), so I just wrote it tailored to the graduate school.

2. Yes, they need to be sent to the graduate school admissions.

3. I believe that is only for specific graduate schools but most do not (maybe Public Health does?)

Hope this helps!

• Love
1. The statements are graduate school specific (one for each school you selected on the secondary), so I just wrote it tailored to the graduate school.

2. Yes, they need to be sent to the graduate school admissions.

3. I believe that is only for specific graduate schools but most do not (maybe Public Health does?)

Hope this helps!

Thank you kindly! Do they need all these items before an II can be sent, or do they send them out pre-completion of the list?

Thank you kindly! Do they need all these items before an II can be sent, or do they send them out pre-completion of the list?

I believe the transcripts and statements are required before the II is sent - that was a bit unclear to me as well. I did not receive one until I sent those in, but I could definitely be wrong!

So I called Johns Hopkins because I avoided that rejection wave, and they’re done with IIs unless they decide to extend another day. And apparently I’m held on reserve in case they decide that...:hungover:

Hey everyone! I didn’t realize this existed. I applied to 2 non MSTP MD/PhD programs this year and just got into Toledo’s yesterday and just wanted to drop a line and say hi

Reactions: 4 users
Anybody interview for the Duke MSTP have an update on when the first round of acceptances will go out? When I interviewed in September they said they typically release some in December and some in February, but that they didn't know if they will be allowed to do that this year.

Anybody interview for the Duke MSTP have an update on when the first round of acceptances will go out? When I interviewed in September they said they typically release some in December and some in February, but that they didn't know if they will be allowed to do that this year.
+1 for this!!

From what I can tell from their website, they release around 10 acceptances in December and then the rest in February, but I don’t know how outdated this is. Also from last years thread, it looks like they released the December decisions on the 22nd.

Sorry I don’t have more info— I’m also anxiously awaiting to hear from duke (hopefully good news in December for us both!)

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe the transcripts and statements are required before the II is sent - that was a bit unclear to me as well. I did not receive one until I sent those in, but I could definitely be wrong!

Anyone else have any insight on this? I avoided sending the personal statement and transcripts to OSU and figured I would wait until after an II, since the email said:

"Please note that an incomplete checklist does not prevent review of your application for an interview. However, your checklist must be complete prior to an official admissions decision."

But now that I read this again, I'm a bit confused on if this means they'll send out IIs with an incomplete checklist or not....

Anyone else have any insight on this? I avoided sending the personal statement and transcripts to OSU and figured I would wait until after an II, since the email said:

"Please note that an incomplete checklist does not prevent review of your application for an interview. However, your checklist must be complete prior to an official admissions decision."

But now that I read this again, I'm a bit confused on if this means they'll send out IIs with an incomplete checklist or not....

I am not entirely sure, so I could certainly be incorrect! I received this in the email (below) regarding program selection (e.g., only interested in MSTP), so I believe at least the transcripts are needed prior. I just played it safe and sent both.

"Please be aware that official transcripts are required and must be sent to the OSU Graduate and Professional Admission office before an interview offer can be considered (this is in addition to the transcripts that you would have requested for your AMCAS application):
· [email protected] or to
· US Mail: GP Admissions - The Ohio State University, PO Box 182004, Columbus, OH 43218-2004
· Please keep an in mind that OSU undergraduate applicants do not need to submit an official OSU transcript, unless you have received course credit from an additional University or College. "

+1, I hesitated on sending in the materials until I heard from them regarding an II and have not heard anything from them since

I am not entirely sure, so I could certainly be incorrect! I received this in the email (below) regarding program selection (e.g., only interested in MSTP), so I believe at least the transcripts are needed prior. I just played it safe and sent both.

"Please be aware that official transcripts are required and must be sent to the OSU Graduate and Professional Admission office before an interview offer can be considered (this is in addition to the transcripts that you would have requested for your AMCAS application):
· [email protected] or to
· US Mail: GP Admissions - The Ohio State University, PO Box 182004, Columbus, OH 43218-2004
· Please keep an in mind that OSU undergraduate applicants do not need to submit an official OSU transcript, unless you have received course credit from an additional University or College. "
wow I totally missed that. Do y'all think its too late to send it in now?

I received an II from OSU and all I sent was my transcripts. I didn't send an additional statement.

Definitely not too late, they have interview dates up until Feburary and I don't think they've filled January's yet.

Reactions: 5 users

Definitely not!! Just like @Seihai I didn’t send in anything besides the OSU secondary until after I got my II! And then I didn’t submit my statement of interest until a couple of days before my interview, and it still worked out :) so I think they just need it all to make final decisions but you can be considered for IIs without any of that!!

Reactions: 2 users
An update on the 2020 MD/PhD Application cycle (as of overnight 11/26-27):

There are 1775 applicants with new MCAT, and 9 applicants without the new MCAT - Total 1784 applicants with at least 1 MD/PhD application.
  • Average cGPA - 3.68
  • Average Science GPA - 3.61
  • Average MCAT - 511.3
There are 132 applicants with at least one MD/PhD acceptance.
  • Average cGPA - 3.82
  • Average Science GPA - 3.79
  • Average MCAT - 516.5

The 2019 MD/PhD class had 708 matriculants (39.6%), with 803 applicants (44.9%) receiving at least 1 MD/PhD acceptance, and a total of 1789 MD/PhD applicants.

Reactions: 14 users
I received an II from OSU and all I sent was my transcripts. I didn't send an additional statement.

Definitely not too late, they have interview dates up until Feburary and I don't think they've filled January's yet.

Did you recieve two emails asking for your transcripts prior to your II? I sent them in to [email protected] in August, but now I've recieved another email asking for them again.

There are 1775 applicants with new MCAT, and 9 applicants without the new MCAT - Total 1784 applicants with at least 1 MD/PhD application.
  • Average cGPA - 3.68
  • Average MCAT - 511.3
  • Average cGPA - 3.82
  • Average MCAT - 516.5

The 2019 MD/PhD class had 708 matriculants (39.6%), with 803 applicants (44.9%) receiving at least 1 MD/PhD acceptance, and a total of 1789 MD/PhD applicants.

Am I right in assuming there's few people with multiple acceptances so far? I assume the numbers provided are unique applicants.

Are there any stats on how many people are holding multiple acceptances at this point? I'm curious if the acceptances sent out are to the same batch of people (meaning potentially more than 132 acceptances) or if it's closer to 132 total acceptances.

Am I right in assuming there's few people with multiple acceptances so far? I assume the numbers provided are unique applicants.

Are there any stats on how many people are holding multiple acceptances at this point? I'm curious if the acceptances sent out are to the same batch of people (meaning potentially more than 132 acceptances) or if it's closer to 132 total acceptances.
Based on what is provided, I would assume that there are more than 132 acceptances set out as well, with some applicants holding multiple acceptances. The 132 provided only indicates how many individuals have acceptances and not how many total acceptance offers made at this point.

Fencer's post indicates at least one acceptance, so there are probably a couple of people with multiple acceptances. However, I don't think the total number of acceptances is much more than 132 considering the majority of programs are still in the middle of the Sep-Jan interview season.

• Average cGPA - 3.68
  • Average MCAT - 511.3
  • Average cGPA - 3.82
  • Average MCAT - 516.5

Is this only MSTP programs or all MD/PhD programs?

Just found this thread and wow I wish I knew about it earlier!

Just curious, from personal experience, are there certain schools that respond well to letters of interest? Mainly for interviews. I only sent in my app about a month and a half ago so it may be too early to send these kind of letters. There’s a few schools I would do anything to hear back from right now (duke, Stanford, UCSF, etc). But schools like that I’m sure are pretty much everyone’s top choices so I’m not sure about it. I know this was kinda touched on earlier but just wanted to know if anyone had specific schools that responded well to LOI!!!

Just found this thread and wow I wish I knew about it earlier!

Just curious, from personal experience, are there certain schools that respond well to letters of interest? Mainly for interviews. I only sent in my app about a month and a half ago so it may be too early to send these kind of letters. There’s a few schools I would do anything to hear back from right now (duke, Stanford, UCSF, etc). But schools like that I’m sure are pretty much everyone’s top choices so I’m not sure about it. I know this was kinda touched on earlier but just wanted to know if anyone had specific schools that responded well to LOI!!!

I'm waiting to "officially" hear back from a couple programs as well, and I called a few offices to find out what's going on. Johns Hopkins, UPenn, UCSF, and other tippy top programs seem to be done with IIs at this point. Stanford doesn't have a phone number so I sent an email yesterday, and I got a rejection email today...correlation =/ causation? o_O

I'm waiting to "officially" hear back from a couple programs as well, and I called a few offices to find out what's going on. Johns Hopkins, UPenn, UCSF, and other tippy top programs seem to be done with IIs at this point. Stanford doesn't have a phone number so I sent an email yesterday, and I got a rejection email today...correlation =/ causation? o_O

Sorry about the R :( I figured most schools may be done with interviews. I received an interview from somewhere yesterday for a slot that’s in about two weeks which is making me think most schools are now giving out cancellation slots. Maybe I’ll just send some emails since I don’t think there would be much to lose at this point!

This is all MD/PhD acceptances. MSTPs account for about 75% of the first-year positions. If 1 applicant has 4 acceptances, the system only counts 1 applicant with at least 1 MD/PhD acceptance. Please see my reports from prior academic cycles. The point is that about 84% of the applicants who will eventually get an MD/PhD acceptance, have not received it as of yet. Relax and enjoy the journey. If you have more than 3-4 interviews, you have a realistic chance to join the national MD/PhD class next year. All you need is 1 MD/PhD acceptance.

All my interviews are over now, so I'm just stuck waiting for acceptances/more interview offers (hoping a cancellation gets me a top 10 interview). Does anyone have advice about things to do while waiting? I'm feeling stressed about going months without hearing back anywhere and then scrambling at the last minute to get everything (decision, living situation, etc.) squared away. Is there anything I can be doing now to make things less hectic in the spring?

A third tardigrade? And seemingly very successful as well?!

• Wow
Multiple offers here as well — how to withdraw from those we know we won’t be considering given other acceptances? Is an email ok, or should I call the PD?

Congratulations to those with acceptances.... It has been a long road to get here. If you are fortunate that you get more than 1 MD/PhD acceptance, and the "other" acceptance is less well fitting with you, consider withdrawing. You only need to write an email to the Program Director along with these lines:

Dear Dr. X,
I truly appreciate the offer for acceptance to the MD/PhD program at "Univ. of the South Pole". However, I have also been accepted to another program that aligns better with my research interests [in sun-tanning]. Please withdraw my application after acceptance to your program.
Thanks,
Future MDPhD

While we invest a lot of time and effort recruiting, reviewing applications, interviewing, working in committee to re-review after interviews, extending acceptances, and then recruiting again, we want the best fit for each of our applicants. Please withdraw as soon as you know that you have a better fit for you.

agree with Fencer. If you are holding acceptances (or have an interview with acceptances already in hand) from a place you know you won't be going, withdraw and open up the space. We know you can only go to one school and bear no ill will - we actually consider it good community service.

Are schools generally okay with or do they look negatively upon calling admissions and asking if they know when they will be sending out admissions decisions? There's a school that I really liked and I have good reason to believe that they will be releasing some acceptances either this week or next and it's driving me INSANE thinking about it. I would love to call just to see if there is a specific day where I can be extra-stressed, or if I should just remain stressed until the day I die (maybe a little overdramatic but this is what the cycle has done to me lol)

Are schools generally okay with or do they look negatively upon calling admissions and asking if they know when they will be sending out admissions decisions? There's a school that I really liked and I have good reason to believe that they will be releasing some acceptances either this week or next and it's driving me INSANE thinking about it. I would love to call just to see if there is a specific day where I can be extra-stressed, or if I should just remain stressed until the day I die (maybe a little overdramatic but this is what the cycle has done to me lol)
I would just stay calm.... schools will do what they have to do. In my N=1 trial of doing this (as a part of a call to determine residency), the school completely cut off contact after I asked when decisions might be. Mind you, this was pre-II. Maybe I just had a bad experience, but I don't think it would do anything positive except make you think even harder about whether it was a good decision. Just go to the gym or read a book to get your mind off it lol

So, I just went for it and reached out to a few admissions offices today at places I really am interested in attending (hopefully I don't end up with rejections tomorrow morning), but they were very kind and many even told me when I could expect to hear about an invite and what interview dates they have left. From what I gathered, most schools are making decisions this week or within the next 2 weeks for their last interview slot. Will keep everyone updated on if I end up getting some Rs from those places in the next few days!

So, I just went for it and reached out to a few admissions offices today at places I really am interested in attending (hopefully I don't end up with rejections tomorrow morning), but they were very kind and many even told me when I could expect to hear about an invite and what interview dates they have left. From what I gathered, most schools are making decisions this week or within the next 2 weeks for their last interview slot. Will keep everyone updated on if I end up getting some Rs from those places in the next few days!

Do you mind sharing which programs those are? I’m still waiting to hear from a few schools and would love to know! I can also DM you if you prefer!

Do you mind sharing which programs those are? I’m still waiting to hear from a few schools and would love to know! I can also DM you if you prefer!
+1. Also interested.

lol.jpeg

Actual photo of me and the school that just rejected me (that I decided never to submit the secondary for)

While you might not like it, AMCAS requires to make an admission decision for each applicant with a primary application. People who do not submit secondaries within the timeline, don't respond to invitations to interview, or even decline interviewing, should be receiving an admission action called Passive Withdrawal. However, it is easier to think of applicants into 3 buckets: Accept, Reject, or Hold/Alternate (waitlisted) as compared to bringing 7 or 8 buckets (status/admission actions).

You never know...I was surprised when I got an II for a school that I decided to not submit the secondary for. They told me to submit it after I got the invitation o_O
I got accepted to a school where that happened actually. Would advise finishing secondaries ASAP as a rule of thumb however.

Last edited:
  • Wow
I agree with Fencer in that the cycle is far from over. A ton of schools interview for MD/PhD in January. Just a partial list of those I know of: UT Southwestern, Johns Hopkins, University of Colorado, University of Chicago, Northwestern, and University of Washington