Psych PhD MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fishs

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I would say I don't know too much about the MD/PhD world. I'm interested in it though, particularly doing a psychology/related PhD. I was wondering if y'all know about specific programs that I could do this at, or how I could find them? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys!

I would say I don't know too much about the MD/PhD world. I'm interested in it though, particularly doing a psychology/related PhD. I was wondering if y'all know about specific programs that I could do this at, or how I could find them? Thanks!
Hi hi! First I have a question for you- why not do a PsyD?

There are a lot of good resources online to get the basic outline of an MD-PhD program. It would be good to look through Google or Youtube for MD vs MD-PhD vs PhD. From there, you can see where your goals line up the best and see which avenue you would want to pursue. The next-to-last part of the process is to choose which specific programs you’d want to apply to.

A psychology PhD is generally thought of as a clinical psychology degree, where you learn about things like how to diagnose mental illness and perform therapy.

The MD equivalent is psychiatry which is similar but adds medication and tends not to be as hands on in the therapy side (though practice can vary).

Now, MD/PhD programs are not going to want you to do both simply because there's too much overlap.

The PhD is supposed to be a research degree in the MD/PhD context.

If you do want to be a psychiatrist, you can absolutely make that goal with an MD/PhD program. The PhD is typically (though not always) in some type of neuroscience and you would do a psychiatry residency after the program.

Hope that helps and makes sense.

Reactions: 1 users