*** 2019-2020 MD/PhD cycle - Questions, Comments, and other things ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got the secondary. They sent me an email before the supplemental email saying my letters were received and that my application was entering a preliminary screening so I guess that means you need your letters to be in to be screened for a secondary.
sounds good thank you for the response!

Members don't see this ad.

I took MCAT July 19.

I am expecting my score August 20.

What time do they release the scores? Should I log in at 1201am ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have the MD-PhD prompts for Duke, Alabama, UVA, or Wake Forest? And for Emory do we have to do both the regular MD essays and the addendum of publications/ faculty mentor selection? I have been to the school-specific threads for these schools and about 2 weeks ago asked about the md-phd prompts on the school-specific threads but have not been able to find any answers. Thank you!

Hey I posted in the rejection forum as well but Idk if that was the place to ask. How do rejections work? Do adcoms send them out in a rolling fashion or all at once? Do adcoms generally send out rejections and interview on the same day?

Any advice would be awesome y'all :)

Every program is different. Many place rejections from the beginning, but don't communicate them to the applicants until close to end of their interviews by December. Some have posted them as they are rolling their acceptances until January-March. Look at prior years' rejection thread for an idea.

Reactions: 1 users
I have a question about "be considered for MD if I don't get into MD/PhD" option in some secondaries:

I've read somewhere else on the forums that some MD/PhD adcoms will actively screen against that; is this true? If my heart is dead-set on MD/PhD, would it give me a better chance to not mark consideration for MD box? Or would I just be sacrificing my chances of applying into MD/PhD internally?

Data from my program: In 2019, those who selected Combined Degree Only represented 34% of the applicant pool and 67% of the interview pool. They were 7% more likely to receive an admissions offer. YAMMV

Reactions: 3 users
Can't you just transfer to MD-only after MD-PhD rejection...even if you selected dual degree only? I know several people who have done that - although none seem to have gotten in.

Can't you just transfer to MD-only after MD-PhD rejection...even if you selected dual degree only? I know several people who have done that - although none seem to have gotten in.

You can, what the posters are insinuating above is that some programs select against applicants that do this; seeing it as a lack of commitment to MD-PhD.

At many programs your application will not be moved to the MD-only admissions office until after you have been rejected from the MD-PhD which for me last cycle was around Dec-Feb, meaning my MD only app would be horribly late.

Some programs have to accept you as MD only before MSTP.

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone applying to UTMB or McGovern get confirmation emails for them receiving your AMCAS app?

Did anyone applying to UTMB or McGovern get confirmation emails for them receiving your AMCAS app?
Nope. I think you have to follow up to confirm. I did that for McGovern. Nothing from UTMB but I just added them to amcas a few days ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, just a quick Q about updates. My secondaries have been in for about ~1 month but just today we heard that our manuscript was accepted in Nature Genetics. I had the paper in my application already since it was under review / exists as a pre-print on bioRxiv, but when is the best time for me to send updates to programs (of those that accept them)? My instinct would be to do it right away, but wanted to see if anyone has strong feelings about when the update will be most impactful.

Thanks! Super thankful for this community.

Last edited:
Hey all, just a quick Q about updates. My secondaries have been in for about ~1 month but just today we hear that our manuscript was accepted in Nature Genetics. I had the paper in my application already since it was under review / exists as a pre-print on bioRxiv, but when is the best time for me to send updates to programs (of those that accept them)? My instinct would be to do it right away, but wanted to see if anyone has strong feelings about when the update will be most impactful.

Thanks! Super thankful for this community.
I'd do it right away! You don't wait to wait and have them trash your application.

Reactions: 2 users
Finishing up secondaries, and I got this email from Einstein:
Does everyone get this email? Or is a bad sign of what’s to come?

“Thank you for your application to the Medical Scientist Training Program at Albert Einstein College of Medicine.
We are in the process of reviewing MSTP applications, and will apprise you of your MSTP application status as soon as it becomes available.
In the event that you are not selected for interview after review of your MSTP application, please let us know your preferred backup program (please choose one):
1. MD Program
2. PhD Program
3. Neither of the above”

I got the same email soon after submitting my secondary, which was around 1 month ago, haven't heard any news either way yet. I don't think it's a good or bad sign they just are asking.

“Thank you for your application to the Medical Scientist Training Program at Albert Einstein College of Medicine.
We are in the process of reviewing MSTP applications, and will apprise you of your MSTP application status as soon as it becomes available.
In the event that you are not selected for interview after review of your MSTP application, please let us know your preferred backup program (please choose one):
1. MD Program
2. PhD Program
3. Neither of the above”

1. MD Program
2. PhD Program
3. Neither of the above”

I also got the same email right after submitting my secondary. It doesn't mean anything about the status of your application - make your selection and email them and they'll note it down. Not sure why it isn't a secondary question, but perhaps they do some basic screening first before sending the email.

It was a secondary question when I applied.

Did anyone apply to Duke? Still waiting on primary verification and don't want to waste time pre-writing the 7 MD essays if MD/PhD has different prompts.

Did anyone apply to Duke? Still waiting on primary verification and don't want to waste time pre-writing the 7 MD essays if MD/PhD has different prompts.

MD/PhD only requires you to write some of the essays. You don't need to write all seven of the MD essays. Both are 500 words.

Tell us more about who you are. You may provide additional information that expands your self-identity where gender identification, racial and/or ethnic self description, geographic origin, socioeconomic, academic, and/or other characteristics that define who you are as you contemplate a career that will interface with people who are similar AND dissimilar to you. You will have the opportunity below to tell us how you wish to be addressed, recognized and treated.

Critical thinking involves a number of characteristics including creativity, innovation, discernment, emotional intelligence, application and analysis. Describe a situation in which you utilized critical thinking. Why is critical thinking vital in your future?

Do people who apply MSTP to Columbia also have to do the MD prompts? I saw some MSTP people commenting about the MD prompts in the school-specific thread, but my portal doesn't show them..

Do people who apply MSTP to Columbia also have to do the MD prompts? I saw some MSTP people commenting about the MD prompts in the school-specific thread, but my portal doesn't show them..

These are the sections I have on my app. Does yours look different?

1566236444579.png

Too early in the game to reach out to a program director to let them know that their program is your first choice? And; what's the best way to word such notes?

Too early in the game to reach out to a program director to let them know that their program is your first choice? And; what's the best way to word such notes?

In my opinion, this is far too early, especially if you haven't received an interview. It would be better to note this in the secondary if it truly were the case, and even then it'd seem to me to be a bit patronizing (as the schools expect that you're saying that to pretty much everyone).

The only case where I see this as being reasonable is a school where you're on the post-interview waitlist or where you haven't heard back after interviewing for a few months (and they've already started sending out acceptances).

For people applying to UCSF, how long did it take to get secondaries?

Took me about a month (I was in the first batch, though, so it may take less time now)

So I confirmed an interview with a school on Sept. 16/17. I was just informed that I was invited to interview for another school today, and their only time-slot is Sept. 18/19. Do you think this is doable?

So I confirmed an interview with a school on Sept. 16/17. I was just informed that I was invited to interview for another school today, and their only time-slot is Sept. 18/19. Do you think this is doable?

Two interviews back-to-back is doable, but I would avoid it especially since it seems you'd be flying directly from one to the other.

Email both schools and ask if it is possible to reschedule. Asking probably shouldn't hurt.

Depending on how many interviews you have, turning one down could also be an option.

Two interviews back-to-back is doable, but I would avoid it especially since it seems you'd be flying directly from one to the other.

Email both schools and ask if it is possible to reschedule. Asking probably shouldn't hurt.

Depending on how many interviews you have, turning one down could also be an option.

Yup, I’m flying! Maybe I’ll give this a try once and see if I can handle it.

Are they in the same time zone? Flying across the country seems less doable than flying a state or two over.

Still haven't gotten a UCSF secondary?! Submitted primary sometime in early June. 518/3.9 from a T5 undergrad. Did I just get pre-2ndary rejected? Looking for some perspective.

Still haven't gotten a UCSF secondary?! Submitted primary sometime in early June. 518/3.9 from a T5 undergrad. Did I just get pre-2ndary rejected? Looking for some perspective.
They take a while, I know some of the UC's send secondaries into Dec. I wouldn't read too much into it; it's a long cycle, try to just go with the flow as much as possible.

should I read anything into being rejected from UW pre-secondary? If I got rejected post-secondary I wouldn't be too concerned, but my stats are solid and it seemed like a really good fit research-wise, so the pre-secondary rejection seems concerning.
You have IIs (including at my top choice, you lucky and deserving !*$@#&!, congratulations so far), so I wouldn't read into it. Red flags on your application would not have yielded your results.

You have IIs (including at my top choice, you lucky and deserving !*$@#&!, congratulations so far), so I wouldn't read into it. Red flags on your application would not have yielded your results.

haha I think you're referring to @tardigrade88.. not sure which tardigrade was around here first but there are coincidentally two of us in this cycle :p if i had other interviews already, I wouldn't be worrying about it!

haha I think you're referring to @tardigrade88.. not sure which tardigrade was around here first but there are coincidentally two of us in this cycle :p if i had other interviews already, I wouldn't be worrying about it!
Well, that’s embarrassing... sorry about that. I still wouldn’t read into just one pre-secondary rejection, especially if you can’t think of anything that would be a flag.

Well, that’s embarrassing... sorry about that. I still wouldn’t read into just one pre-secondary rejection, especially if you can’t think of anything that would be a flag.

This is really funny, especially because I, too, was rejected from UW (though post-secondary)
@tardigrade12, my tardigrade kin, you've got this! You will likely receive plenty of excellent IIs in the near future, and we're all rooting for you in the meantime! Feel free to dm if you'd like to rant -- I get it and am here to help however possible. Sending love and encouragement to all!

Hey all, question about Hofstra/Northwell's MD/PhD program. I am really excited about this program specifically because of the opportunity to do grad school at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory (CSHL), something that's advertised on their site.

I was fortunate enough to get an II earlier this week, however their interview day doesn't involve any meetings with CSHL investigators. I asked the admissions office if this was possible and they just said that it's not part of the interview.

Just wanted to float this by the thread to see if:

1. Any Hofstra/Northwell students or anyone here who could speak to this relationship with Cold Spring Harbor?
2. What are people's opinions of me trying to set up meetings with Cold Spring Harbor PIs while I'm in the area for my interview?

Good luck out there everyone.

Are they in the same time zone? Flying across the country seems less doable than flying a state or two over.

Oh sorry, didn't see this. It's half-way across the country. I'm busing to the first one and then flying for the second one.

Hello! I was hoping to get some advice. We recently had an abstract accepted that I am listed as an author on. I am not the first author and I won't be presenting it. Is this sufficient to update a few schools with? Or would it be perceived negatively. I am hoping that we can submit this paper soon so that I am send that!!!

I think that depends on context. If you're on hold at some place you know about (UW), it would probably be a good update. Not sure about other situations so I'll defer. But if I were you, I would send the update...not everyday you get accepted into a conference.

@premedstudent33 @SoberPony did either of you get a confirmation from McGovern when you contacted them? I tried emailing the general MSTP email, called the medical school admissions office, and even was told to email the head of the MD admissions program to try to get an answer. So far got nothing and it's been almost 6 weeks since I sent my secondary....

But the check cleared so they have my money.....

@premedstudent33 @SoberPony did either of you get a confirmation from McGovern when you contacted them? I tried emailing the general MSTP email, called the medical school admissions office, and even was told to email the head of the MD admissions program to try to get an answer. So far got nothing and it's been almost 6 weeks since I sent my secondary....

But the check cleared so they have my money.....

At one point someone told me they would email me when my check was received but I haven’t heard from them and I sent my secondary 3 weeks ago. I tried to follow-up with them two weeks ago and no response. Might be best to call if you want an immediate answer.

@SoberPony I just got a response from the email I sent to the general MSTP email saying they would check on the status of my application. Took them about a week and a half to reply if that helps anyone.

For the 2019 MD/PhD application cycle - as of Sept. 1, 2018
Total number of MD/PhD applicants - 1295
Average MCAT - 513.23
cGPA - 3.72
Sc GPA - 3.66
Last year (2018 cycle), we had 1338 applicants at this point.

The quoted message above is from the 2018-19 similar message thread

The report this morning for 2020 MD/PhD application cycle - as of Sept. 1, 2019
Total number of MD/PhD applicants - 1496
Average MCAT - 512.8
cGPA - 3.71
Sc GPA - 3.65
While the numbers of verified MD/PhD applicants are slightly higher, AMCAS appears to be verifying at a faster pace. The basic academic benchmarks did not truly changed.

Reactions: 6 users
Sorry if this has already been asked but a general question regarding interviews / acceptances
I heard that acceptance probability after an interview ranges from ~ 1/5 - 1/2.
Does anyone know any specifics for schools? Found it about MD, but know there are many fewer MD/PhD slots.

Thanks! preparing for an interview at the end of September :dead:

@eccequambonum I don't know if if there's a consolidated list, but for the schools I'm interviewing at most schools list the number of people they interview and at least the size of the class. So you can probably assume that slightly more people are accepted than the size of the class.

For example UW says they interview 60 people and their program size is like 10-12. So I'd guess like 15 get in aka 25%

You can also always check AMCAS for their stats. P sure there's a spreadsheet with each school and the size of their class for the last application cycle.

Is the MD-PhD Cycle generally faster than MD? That is, does SDN's Thanksgiving Rule (No IIs before thanksgiving -> Consider Reapplication) apply, or is the deadline faster?