2019-2020 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Secondary received today!

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone else having trouble writing these prompts to their 500 word limit? I'm hovering around 100-200 for all of them.

Reactions: 2 users
Is anyone else having trouble writing these prompts to their 500 word limit? I'm hovering around 100-200 for all of them.
You ain't alone. I am right around 200-250. Lmao

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My thought is that if you can succinctly get your point across, then that's probably ok. Don't want to leave out important info, but I'm guessing most adcoms can see through fluff writing

Turned in my secondary as of today, never ran into any issues paying or logging in like some people had mentioned.

Hey all, 3rd year Joplin Student here. Feel free to shoot me a message if you have any questions. I'll be on sporadically throughout the process.

Reactions: 1 users
This is definitely a silly question but when it says describe a personal failure does it refer to a failure in your personal life (ex. relationships, health, family etc.) or can it also encompass an academic/professional failure?

This is definitely a silly question but when it says describe a personal failure does it refer to a failure in your personal life (ex. relationships, health, family etc.) or can it also encompass an academic/professional failure?
Personal failure, not an academic or professional failure

I'm struggling with the personal failure one too. I was going to use the fact I'm a reapplicant, but that's not personal.

Do y'all think that writing about a falling out w/ a good friend could work for this prompt?

Crap. I definitely wrote about a professional failure.
Fail.(ure)

If you consider it to be a personal failure, I don't see why not. It could be a "personal failure" in a professional setting

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm struggling with the personal failure one too. I was going to use the fact I'm a reapplicant, but that's not personal.

Do y'all think that writing about a falling out w/ a good friend could work for this prompt?

Personal failure is really ambiguous because it depends on how you view it. Just explain why and how you view it as personal and make sure you answer the rest of the prompt.

Personal failure is really ambiguous because it depends on how you view it. Just explain why and how you view it as personal and make sure you answer the rest of the prompt.
I think the question aims for more of what you consider a failure and then how you have improved/changed for the better- for example, if you had a falling out with a friend and say it was your fault, maybe you would not admit you were in the wrong because you were being stubborn (I know very ambiguous), but then going into how your perspective has changed to give everyone the benefit of the doubt without jumping to conclusions, and valuing a friendship over a single argument therefore you surrender your side (even if you think you are in the right).

Hopefully that makes sense!

Personal failure, not an academic or professional failure

I wrote about an academic failure (which can be personal). If they didn’t want you to talk about an academic/professional failure, i think they would of specifically mentioned that like other prompts I’ve come across.

Reactions: 4 users
Any IS applicants still waiting on a secondary?

Strong connections to the Kansas City community and a desire to practice in Missouri doesn't matter?
Probably not for secondary turnaround. Definitely for admission overall though.

Received a complete email just now.

Did you get a confirmation email after you submitted the secondary? I submitted today and never got a confirmation email
Yeah, that’s what I meant by I was complete today. You’ll get one within 7 days

Anyone still waiting on a secondary?

I still haven't had any communication from this school whatsoever. Anyone else in the same boat?

"We are often too busy to plan future activities. Describe a time when you were so busy you had to react to situations rather than plan for them."

Maybe it's because I'm a little burnt out after writing out 40 secondaries, but is anybody else struggling a bit with answering this? What did you guys talk about?

"We are often too busy to plan future activities. Describe a time when you were so busy you had to react to situations rather than plan for them."

Maybe it's because I'm a little burnt out after writing out 40 secondaries, but is anybody else struggling a bit with answering this? What did you guys talk about?
I talked about an experience as a CNA. It might seem like an insignificant experience to include, but anyone that has worked in healthcare, retail, or restaurant business should be able to find a time like this.

Reactions: 2 users
2nd year at Joplin here. Anyone is more than welcome to PM me or quote this post with any questions (outside of admissions because we as students have no say in that and are pretty oblivious to the process tbh).

II! :) One of my top DO choices! Submitted secondary on 7/26.

Reactions: 5 users
Just received an II!! Very excited. In state. Kansas City campus. Complete 7/29. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 4 users
II scheduled at Joplin campus for 9/27!! :)

Could have sworn I saw somewhere that they would provide an update in about 5 days. I cannot seem to find proof so I must have made it up

Looks like the first batch of II went out today, good luck everyone!

I gather that you're an incoming student this year at KCU, and thanks for being in this thread! I had two questions if you had the time:

#1. I was curious about the time allotted to OMM at KCU - would you happen to have any estimates in regards to hours/week?

#2. I understand that KCU encourages its students to take the Step 1, which I think is great. Do you know how long dedicated is during second year? I hear that the curriculum here is particularly rigorous (modeled after RVU's (?)).

I gather that you're an incoming student this year at KCU, and thanks for being in this thread! I had two questions if you had the time:

#1. I was curious about the time allotted to OMM at KCU - would you happen to have any estimates in regards to hours/week?

#2. I understand that KCU encourages its students to take the Step 1, which I think is great. Do you know how long dedicated is during second year? I hear that the curriculum here is particularly rigorous (modeled after RVU's (?)).
Yup first year student, currently in second week of our first block. Because its still so early, I'm not sure how the hours might change over time, so maybe some 2nd years can chime in on this too.
#1. Right now we are in OMM lab about 2hr per week, and from talking with 2nd year students, it does not take up much time outside of lab, like some only study for it a few days before the test.
#2. Ya, most students take step 1, I'm not 100% sure about our dedicated period, because when it was explained to me I was kinda confused, but I think its like 6 weeks or so, maybe @DrRedstone can comment on this. For your last point, our curriculum is intense, we covered my entire undergrad biochemistry class in our first week here lol

First II of the season today! 9/20 =)

Anyone know how many interviews they offer vs how many acceptance they give?