2019-2020 Kaiser (Tyson)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Probably Not quite done, there was still lots of WL movement last week at top schools competitions for top candidates. It’s likely at least one Kaiser PTE stolen away.
When was CTE for Kaiser? May 30?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Have they officially said they won't be accepting any more students?
They are finalizing our LIC assignments this week and announcing them next week which they said they would only do when the class is full

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can any of the admitted students comment on whether there exist opportunities for service learning with low income or homeless patients?

I am getting conflicting info from the website vs admissions and am very interested in Kaiser

Can any of the admitted students comment on whether there exist opportunities for service learning with low income or homeless patients?

I am getting conflicting info from the website vs admissions and am very interested in Kaiser

Yes to both. Each clinical site/LIC site has low SES patients and some clinical sites, more than others, deal with homeless services, patients on medicaid. I know specifically the LIC site for LAMC has homeless services.

Yes to both. Each clinical site/LIC site has low SES patients and some clinical sites, more than others, deal with homeless services, patients on medicaid. I know specifically the LIC site for LAMC has homeless services.

Thank you so much for this information.

Thank you so much for this information.

In addition to what is mentioned above, we rotate in a federally funded health center x1 a month. KP also has partnerships with local homeless/free clinic for volunteering :)

Have any more Rs been given out or should the remaining WL applicants expect one coming on July 1?

Secondary yay! Severely unqualified but staying hopeful :)
I am currently applying and I am trying to figure out if they filter. Since this was a few years ago do you mind giving me your stats to see if I should waste $41 or not lol!!

I am currently applying and I am trying to figure out if they filter. Since this was a few years ago do you mind giving me your stats to see if I should waste $41 or not lol!!
Are you applying to other T25 programs?
If so, pay for the Kaiser secondary.

KP isn't a T25 school.
While Kaiser isn’t ranked, If you look at the quality of their first year’s Students, you see they are every bit T10/20 stats. My point is if you don’t have the stats, don’t bother.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
While Kaiser isn’t ranks, If you look at the quality of their first year’s Students, you see they are every bit T10/20 stats. My point is if you don’t have the stats, don’t bother.
Let's be honest here without any bias.....I agree $41 is not much and he should apply at KP but...

Just because your kid chose one particular school, it doesn't really qualify as T25.
Also, there are no stats published about their first year student's MCAT or GPA or residency match. If you have all 40-50 students stats, can you please publish it here so we all can see how they match with T10/20 stats published for many many years.

Let's be honest here without any bias....
Just because your kid chose one particular school, it doesn't really qualify as T25.
Also, there are no stats published about their first year student's MCAT or GPA or residency match. If you have all 40-50 students stats, can you please publish it here so we all can see how they match with T10/20 stats published for many many years.

I don’t know anything about official stats, but if the accepted students consistently got into other top 10-20 schools (which I believe they did) then I think it’s safe to say that Kaiser will probably be top 25

I don’t know anything about official stats, but if the accepted students consistently got into other top 10-20 schools (which I believe they did) then I think it’s safe to say that Kaiser will probably be top 25
I agree with you if we have those REAL data....as of now it's all speculation with limited SDN data/discussion which may not be even always true. I have seen people reporting fake here in many post. I go by REAL published data only and we don't have any.
Without REAL data, we can even speculate that KP is T1 :) Why not?

T25 or not, it’s a Cali school at the end of the day. students are gonna match well in the region at places like UCLA, USC, UCSD ect. because of KP’s location

I do agree on the portion about KP not having stats yet! I think we should all remember SDN is useful but don't let it be your only resource.

Let's be honest here without any bias.....I agree $41 is not much and he should apply at KP but...

$41 isn't much to you but I bet you're the same guy who is gonna buy a Ferrari during his residency. Just because you HAVE the money doesn't mean waste it. I like to apply with a. information from the school's website b.MSAR c. lastly I come to SDN and hear other's opinions.

I refuse to be a broke doctor because I'm not financially literate.

Reactions: 2 users
$41 isn't much to you but I bet you're the same guy who is gonna buy a Ferrari during his residency. Just because you HAVE the money doesn't mean waste it. I like to apply with a. information from the school's website b.MSAR c. lastly I come to SDN and hear other's opinions.

I refuse to be a broke doctor because I'm not financially literate.
Please don't misunderstand me. I didn't mean that money is not important, every single penny is important. I been through this whole med school admission drama. Believe me, it's not as predictable as we all think even with all published data. It's just hard to know which school will invite you for interview out of 8-10K applications they receive and which one will accept you out of 500-1000 students interviewed. Since you were asking about whether to apply at KP or not, I meant to say that please apply as many school possible if you can (of course with $41 fee here.. we paid $50 last year). It's good school and if you get admitted, you will save lots of money and will not be a broke doctor as you said.

Good Luck my friend.

Application FeeStatusTransaction DateTransaction Number
$50.00Paid

FYI.....

FYI.....

I’m really confused how that applicant did not get an interview at Kaiser last year and I got interviewed and WL with a 509 and 3.5 from a state school.... what an odd an unpredictable process

Please don't misunderstand me. I didn't mean that money is not important, every single penny is important. I been through this whole med school admission drama. Believe me, it's not as predictable as we all think even with all published data. It's just hard to know which school will invite you for interview out of 8-10K applications they receive and which one will accept you out of 500-1000 students interviewed. Since you were asking about whether to apply at KP or not, I meant to say that please apply as many school possible if you can (of course with $41 fee here.. we paid $50 last year). It's good school and if you get admitted, you will save lots of money and will not be a broke doctor as you said.

Good Luck my friend.

Application FeeStatusTransaction DateTransaction Number
$50.00Paid
Okay thank you for clarifying. I do want to apologize for jumping down your throat. I just know there's alot of kids having their parents fund this whole app with their black amex card. I thought you were being nasty with me. Either way, my apologies.

I’m really confused how that applicant did not get an interview at Kaiser last year and I got interviewed and WL with a 509 and 3.5 from a state school.... what an odd an unpredictable process
This is not factual but simply my personal OPINION

So I know a few schools who filter by secondaries and not metrics. It is possible you didn't "meet" their mission and values. With KP it's even worse because they have no Data to base off of. Yale knows they want top tier people and Howard knows they will except pretty low stats. KP is still figuring it our I believe.

Also, I believe many schools are switching to actual hollistic application review. America is trying to change the face of medicine to be "diverse" so stats are getting harder to judge acceptance. I can honestly say me as a Black woman is more likely to get more acceptances than you because of socioeconomic stigmas. This is unfair in a way and I can admit that but they see that old white men isn't really working anymore.

Sidenote: I came across a school today that after the screen for primary app screen they blind all your metrics and soley use your interview and secondary to chose a class.

wow I realized im in the wrong thread *face palm*

FYI.....
Did your 4.0 525 friend end up somewhere?

This is not factual but simply my personal OPINION

So I know a few schools who filter by secondaries and not metrics. It is possible you didn't "meet" their mission and values. With KP it's even worse because they have no Data to base off of. Yale knows they want top tier people and Howard knows they will except pretty low stats. KP is still figuring it our I believe.

Also, I believe many schools are switching to actual hollistic application review. America is trying to change the face of medicine to be "diverse" so stats are getting harder to judge acceptance. I can honestly say me as a Black woman is more likely to get more acceptances than you because of socioeconomic stigmas. This is unfair in a way and I can admit that but they see that old white men isn't really working anymore.

Sidenote: I came across a school today that after the screen for primary app screen they blind all your metrics and soley use your interview and secondary to chose a class.
I am sure you will get more interview and more acceptances. Try to apply to schools which gives more scholarship/financial aid or free tuition. I think it's worth spending application money there. Remember, unfortunately it doesn't stop there...there are cost for travel and hotel as well once you get interview invite and again you will have to choose it wisely.

Does anybody know when Kaiser will finally post up their MSAR data for MCAT/GPA? The program starts in 2 weeks from today, so I'm guessing by then, but I could be wrong. Any thoughts?

Does anybody know when Kaiser will finally post up their MSAR data for MCAT/GPA? The program starts in 2 weeks from today, so I'm guessing by then, but I could be wrong. Any thoughts?

The MSAR Material will be updated annually, typically occurring in Spring, to reflect the requirements of the next year’s application cycle as well as the most recent updates available to survey and research data; each update shall be considered an “Edition.” The MSAR Material may also be updated from time to time at our sole discretion. All such updates will be made available to you at no additional cost.

I hope it's sooner, time will tell. What do you think is the lowest MCAT Kaiser would accept, assuming GPA is strong (3.76 +)?
This is from #1,2 ranked schools
Harvard - 513/520/525 (Min/avg/Max)
John Hopkins - 516/521/525

I guess from 510-525 range for KP?

I hope it's sooner, time will tell. What do you think is the lowest MCAT Kaiser would accept, assuming GPA is strong (3.76 +)?
n=1 but I know someone who was accepted with a 507 and GPA < 3.5
URM and great ECs, PS, etc

n=1 but I know someone who was accepted with a 507 and GPA < 3.5
URM and great ECs, PS, etc
Wow nice. Yeah, unfortunately I didn't score that high on the MCAT so I guess I won't be applying to Kaiser. Thanks for the post.

While Kaiser isn’t ranked, If you look at the quality of their first year’s Students, you see they are every bit T10/20 stats. My point is if you don’t have the stats, don’t bother.
LOL. You cant buy your way to T10/20 by paying for the first 5 classes. I am not knocking the program, but there is alot more to it than stats. Because its free it is hightly competitive. Wait until its no longer free and it will be different.

LOL. You cant buy your way to T10/20 by paying for the first 5 classes. I am not knocking the program, but there is alot more to it than stats. Because its free it is hightly competitive. Wait until its no longer free and it will be different.

Actually I think you can. Once they have T10/20 status for five years, I believe that will attract other highly competitive applicants for the foreseeable future (of course this assumes the students match into competitive residencies). I have no reason to believe the schools rank will significantly change when it is no longer free

I’d also like to add that in addition to the money, they also attracted a lot of students be presenting themselves as an elite institution. If you have a degree from them, you will be recognized as an elite. They sold themselves well, not as the next Harvard, but THE Kaiser. Appeal to the ego and give a sense of superiority over peers gets you very far.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Hmm
I know this thread is dead- but any insight on students who were pulled off the waitlist/accepted- is a letter of intent worth it? Is the school receptive to updates? Just want to maximize my chances after interviewing here in November 2020 and silence since.

I know this thread is dead- but any insight on students who were pulled off the waitlist/accepted- is a letter of intent worth it? Is the school receptive to updates? Just want to maximize my chances after interviewing here in November 2020 and silence since.
I mean..doesnt hurt? so why not