2019-2020 Johns Hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejected post II as well :/

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
They got my hopes up too cuz the email was sent early. Maybe they’re doing the R/WL first this year? Or everything at once? Weird

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted!! Felt really great about my interview here =) happy to see it turned into an acceptance

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Any idea what the chance is of getting off the alternative list?

accepted! I feel like the shocked pikachu face meme because I honestly thought my interview went really badly

Reactions: 11 users
Congrats to everyone accepted!! I interview in Jan and I am super excited.
Honest question that I hope doesn’t derail the thread: why wouldn’t you want to work/ go to school in a community that actually needs you? It’s easy to sit back from where ever you’re typing all of the negative things about Baltimore but if you think the city should be better, go make it better as a healthcare provider there! Lobby the government for better resources for Baltimore as a Hopkins physician. It’s an American city like every other that has flaws like every other. I would take Hopkins over my A at UCLA every day of the week because frankly Westwood will be 100% fine without me, whereas I would feel like I’m actually helping the people of Baltimore if I’m lucky enough to get into Hopkins. Again, congrats to everyone accepted, you should be proud to have gotten into one of the best medical schools in the country that serves people that actually need it.

Reactions: 5 users
Can't believe it. This is my first acceptance of the cycle.

• Love
Reactions: 17 users
people go to Hopkins DESPITE Baltimore. That's all I will say.
Or... people go to Hopkins partially because it's in Baltimore. Get out with this stupid idea that Baltimore is some godforsaken land. It's childish and ignorant.

Reactions: 6 users
Honestly one of the most ignorant takes I've seen yet. Obviously serving in Baltimore is a tremendous opportunity. But so is serving in Los Angeles. Go walk in to the homeless shelters in LA (facing an even worse housing crisis than Baltimore) and then say that theres "no need for care" there. Go to Harbor or Olive view (county hospitals) and treat the thousands of uninsured patients that show up in the ER that rely on you for help. Go walk around Westwood and interact with the homeless people that live within two blocks of the campus. You can find an opportunity to make a difference wherever you go if you get out of your bubble and look for it.
Lol who said LA was in no need for care? It’s a gigantic city with problems of its own. I said personally, I would feel like I am doing more for a community as a healthcare provider in a city that has very unique problems that physicians can make a greater impact in. Westwood LA ≠ Baltimore. Not even close, I’ve spent some time at both places and Baltimore is definitely in greater need of healthcare resources. There’s Reagan and Cedars right by e/o and the students at UCLA kept selling that you get to see so many celebs at their rotation sites. Not interested.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations to everyone who got accepted.

I have question: what are your interview dates?

Hey Yall! Current student here. First things first - congratulations to those who got the A today, and continued strength to those still waiting!

I wanted to chime in to the conversation above and say that each individual’s beliefs of what they look for in a school is part of the diversity that we know is so important. Conversations about different regions and schools are why we have med schools all over - and why each person’s choice is so individualized.

I will add that there is a tremendous amount of racist history involved in how Baltimore is spoken about. Learn about it. I had heard it and believed it all before I chose to came here, and have been blown away by how much I’ve loved it. This is because of the privilege inherent in being a medical student in this community. Med students and physicians need to critically consume information - when you evaluate what people say about different schools, that is the first test of the skills that you will engage every time you walk into a consult or open a research paper.

Hopkins is an incredible institution to be a part of, for many more reasons than I want to bore you with here. As you think about schools - think about what matters to you, not what others say. Don’t go somewhere that doesn’t feel right just because you feel you should - you will likely regret it. And please, feel free to DM me for any and all questions about Hopkins, Baltimore, admissions, etc.

Happy Trails!

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Whats waitlist movement like here? Any idea how many are waitlisted and how many come off?

It is highly variable year-to-year, and I would in general say that once you’ve expressed your interest, it would be to your benefit to try not to think too much about what might happen months from now. The cycle is long and arduous, and you need to take care of yourself! If you have more specific questions about your situation, feel free to PM.

Congrats .Now you can turn it down. Wouldnt want you to have to suffer in such a god-forsaken city.

Their opinion on the city is valid (as is everyone else's because an opinion is just how one feels and is not equal to fact) -- no need to take away from their A because you don't agree.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats to everyone that got accepted!
I actually go to JHU for undergrad and one of the reasons I was interested in the med school is because I have had great experiences in Baltimore and was interested in serving its patient population. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but if you do decide to come to Baltimore I hope you’ll do it with an open mind because the city has a lot to offer and you will be serving its patient population!

Reactions: 11 users
Congrats to everyone that got accepted!
I actually go to JHU for undergrad and one of the reasons I was interested in the med school is because I have had great experiences in Baltimore and was interested in serving its patient population. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but if you do decide to come to Baltimore I hope you’ll do it with an open mind because the city has a lot to offer and you will be serving its patient population!

Not to mention the fact that an open mind is a pre-requisite for effective and respectful patient care (and teamwork!) Look at all those buzzwords we got into this thread.

• Love
I didn't even apply this cycle but I have this and NYU's pages watched because this is a gas B)

• Love
Do we know what days of the week JHU interviews and what dates are already listed for January?
In the interview e-mail I got, they mentioned that they only interview on Thursdays/Fridays. Not sure about the latter half of your question though...

waitlisted today. Any idea what the chance is of getting off the waitlist? When would be a good time to send them a letter reaffirming my interest? What if I already sent in an update letter post interview? Am I allowed to send in another update?

Reactions: 1 user
Highkey passed out after this. Excited to meet everyone at second look! :)

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
0 emotional intelligence
No comment... stop passing judgment! we are going to be doctors. You need to learn how to understand others from OTHERS' perspective. Just because it's your top choice, it doesn't mean that someone who doesn't think the same way has no emotional intelligence.

Woah nellie, this thread blew up in the interim. Congrats to those accepted and, for those waitlisted or rejected, trust me when I say this decision does not preclude anyone from success.

The pool of applicants we interview are hyper-competitive and often times folks are rejected not because they had any red flags/personality flaws/cons to their application, but simply because the committee is constrained in the numbers we can accept. Our waitlist is an active one, so we never string applicants along needlessly.

Waitlist movement: I don't know about the process for waitlist acceptances, but typically about 200 are accepted, 200 waitlisted, and 200 rejected.
When it all shakes out, there's ~250 total acceptances, so usually about a 25% chance (or more) of getting off.

Letters of Interest/Intent: Again, I don't know the process by which these are taken into consideration, but I think it would be fair to send one in either the winter or springtime. Waitlist movement usually rolls in around May. Only send a letter of intent if you will actually follow through on such a proclamation.

On Baltimore: Would echo that to say "ugh Bmore trash city, why would anyone live there" is not only inflammatory, but grossly inconsiderate of the challenging history and numerous structural problems that have harmed its residents. There is still a strong undercurrent of mistrust that many of our patients share due to the Hopkins's (and the American medical system's) historical behaviour towards vulnerable populations. Training in such an environment has taught me to be especially conscious in how I can work to overcome our less-than-desirable history and has attuned me to look for ways that I could inadvertently belie a patients' trust. To train and learn at Hopkins is uniquely rewarding and challenging experience – if you jump into the pool already loathing Baltimore, I'd hazard to say that you will be doing the community and school more harm than good.

In fact, I think Hopkins's location in Baltimore makes for an amazing class, since a majority of folks uproot to come here. People come to Hopkins because they want to be a part of the institution to solve social and medical issues. This creates a class that is particularly motivated and close-knit. As for the "Come to Baltimore!" tourist spiel: We are cheaper than most major cities, but we are by no means cheap. But if you want to live in a chic renovated rowhouse or waterfront property, you can do it. There is a really cool and quirky arts scene here, w/r/t everything from music to visual arts. History/culture buffs needn't look any further for museums, ancient sailing vessels, and eclectic architecture. Both very urban (DC, Philly, NYC) and very wilderness-y (MD state parks, Appalachia, mid-Atlantic coast) areas are easily accessible for weekend or day trips. And to top that all off, Baltimore does have a bangin culinary culture (I'm from LA and the only food scene I've been disappointed in here has been for sushi and legit Chinese). If I match outside of Baltimore, there will be places I 100% will be returning to because I've loved them so much.

It is true that bad things happen in every city, but it would also be foolish to say that Baltimore is as safe as other major metropolitan areas. The key is to evaluate the data and work with both the institution and community to develop lasting solutions. Hopkins has expanded efforts to address student safety and security (while it is just a band-aid, the Lyft program has been a HUGE asset in terms of quality of life, safety, and accessibility for those with disabilities). I won't lie: I personally have experienced violent crime during my time here and, yes, higher rates of crime here can take an emotional toll. There are some things that you may have to give up or be especially vigilant about – I personally do not go on jogs around sundown/night, which was one of my main hobbies in back in my hometown. Reach out and talk to residents, faculty, students, staff, etc. living and working in the immediate area to get a range of opinion on what your life may actually look like. If you'd be happier elsewhere, then don't try and force it!

Interestingly, I was accepted during the peak of unrest in Baltimore (Freddie Gray trial, riots) and we witnessed greater waitlist movement that year. Our class has speculated that because of the social issues that occurred right before decision-making in the spring, we ended up with a cohort that really wanted to come here. Not everyone ended up head-over-heels with Baltimore, but everyone accomplished great things and found their niches in the city. I've had some of the best (if not the best) times of my life in this city and with my classmates. Before making a decision, do some research and soul searching. Baltimore is not a city for everyone, but it's a city I've been happy to live in the past 5 years.

• Love
Reactions: 14 users