2019-2020 Brown (Alpert)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R this morning- submitted late July.

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Rejected yesterday pre-II, submitted late July or early August. OOS 521 MCAT 3.54 GPA 3.21 sGPA

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected yesterday pre-II, submitted late July or early August. OOS 521 MCAT 3.54 GPA 3.21 sGPA
:( These stats are really really close to my stats and submission date.. now I'm scared lol

though I kind of don't think Brown does that much yield protection. They want a very specific type of candidates.

They emphasized this very point on interview day, both the faculty and the students.

Reactions: 4 users
They emphasized this very point on interview day, both the faculty and the students.

any school that has a 75% MCAT over 520 doesn't do yield protection on the high stats, simply they just don't care if you score above a certain level. 522 is the same as 527 in Brown's eyes.

May I ask what that very specific type was?

From what I was able to glean (and if you also interviewed, correct me if I'm wrong), they really valued an applicant with different/unique passions, and want people who would still pursue these passions into medical school and beyond; an applicant with a unique X factor. A high-stat applicant with your standard research, volunteering, and shadowing probably would not be as heavily considered.

Frankly, I feel like this is a similar approach taken by many T10/T20's and is not a novel concept. Stats simply play a supporting role.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
From what I was able to glean (and if you also interviewed, correct me if I'm wrong), they really valued an applicant with different/unique passions, and want people who would still pursue these passions into medical school and beyond; an applicant with a unique X factor. A high-stat applicant with your standard research, volunteering, and shadowing probably would not be as heavily considered.

Frankly, I feel like this is a similar approach taken by many T10/T20's and is not a novel concept. Stats simply play a supporting role.

Soooo you're saying there's a chance? (Mediocre stats; amazing EC's)

To add on to all this discussion, Brown interviews a very low number of people, so it's actually quite impressive to even be interviewed

Reactions: 4 users

I am not an adcom, nor a student, and have not even been admitted at this school! But I certainly wish for nothing but the best for you <3

EDIT: Besides, you've had a wonderful cycle so far. Keep your head up!

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
I am not an adcom, nor a student, and have not even been admitted at this school! But I certainly wish for nothing but the best for you <3

EDIT: Besides, you've had a wonderful cycle so far. Keep your head up!

Wow thank you so much!! I wish you the best of luck for the rest of your cycle.

• Love
just for a data point. LM80, rejected pre-II. 14 II's and mostly at T10's. It's a crapshoot for everyone.
I’ve seen similar surprising results... checkered II success inside the respective T10,20,30,50, but definitely lower II success rate T20-50.

• Wow

I’d say there is. I was stunned to get an II here cause my stats are average at best. My only thought is that I wrote something they liked.

For those that interviewed, did you send thank you letters to your interviewers via email or upload to the portal? If anyone emailed, did you get a response? Thanks!

For those that interviewed, did you send thank you letters to your interviewers via email or upload to the portal? If anyone emailed, did you get a response? Thanks!

Email (per their request), no response

emailed with response

Both mine haven’t responded, hopefully that’s not a bad sign
I'm sure it's not a sign whether they respond or not. This is a hectic time of year for most people and you probably know how most physicians are with email. Unless you specifically said something that warranted a response, you did your part! Just relax, you got this!

That’s true, thanks for the reassurance! Btw I was told at my 12/6 interview that decisions would be sent on the 23rd. Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back!

Last edited:
I was complete 7/31 and still haven't been rejected or received an II (RI resident; LM: 78). Is there any hope that I could just be getting an interview eventually because I've made it through so many waves of rejections?

I was complete 7/31 and still haven't been rejected or received an II (RI resident; LM: 78). Is there any hope that I could just be getting an interview eventually because I've made it through so many waves of rejections?

I'm not an RI resident but otherwise +1

II this morning! Complete mid july lol

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Lol like LM 73-74. going straight from undergrad.

anyone have the link to the secondary app portal? i want to send an update but can't find it, thanks!

Who here is hearing today? Do you know if they call or email?

Who here is hearing today? Do you know if they call or email?
I heard back last month, but they email. Check the promotions tab on your gmail account! Somehow the emails land there.

A as well just now!! Happy holidays everyone!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
A!!! Great Christmas present! Happy holidays y’all!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
wonder why you didn't withdraw here, you had withdrawn from some amazing places....
If you must know I have a special connection with this school which makes it hard to make a quick decision.