2019-2020 Brown (Alpert)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No its because they know who they will want to a good approximation based on the application and dont want people to have to get there and spend time and $$ for nothing. Its how they all should be!

Reactions: 3 users
No its because they know who they will want to a good approximation based on the application and dont want people to have to get there and spend time and $$ for nothing. Its how they all should be!
Amen to that.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I assume that would increase the IS portion? Would living in RI for four years make them IS? Would that be the major source of the 13 percent difference?

I went to a New England state school with a decent amount of RI residents, and our advising office told us that since RI doesn't have a state medical school, Brown is kinder to RI residents, so that may play a roll in the percentage difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
So I assume that would increase the IS portion? Would living in RI for four years make them IS? Would that be the major source of the 13 percent difference?
In state is where you pay taxes or vote or own property. They are the only med school in RI so they have some obligation, but it's a really small number of applicants from RI

PLMEs are not interviewed but given acceptances, which plays a role in the high “acceptance” rate.
Do you think the spreadsheet floating around on SDN accounts for this, or would Brown not include the PLME data when giving interviews/acceptances?

Do you think the spreadsheet floating around on SDN accounts for this, or would Brown not include the PLME data when giving interviews/acceptances?

I would say that the spreadsheet does not account for this. It is a special case where Alpert has to report the total number of acceptances (including those given as a formality through AMCAS to PLMEs).

I do know that PLME students still have to officially go through all the motions of applying through AMCAS.

With this assumption, here's the math for acceptance rates.
According to data from US World News, Alpert once interviewed 389 applicants and accepted 278, matriculating 143. This is 71%.

I am not entirely sure of how PLME data is reported, but they are definitely part of the matriculant and accepted numbers. Considering that PLME takes about 60 students, you can remove 60 from both of the latter two numbers. Consider accepting 220 out of 389 interviewees (57% effective acceptance rate), or 220 out of 329 interviewees exclusive of PLME, (67% effective acceptance rate)

What's also true is that Alpert simply interviews very few applicants in comparison to other schools. I never applied to PLME, so I cannot comment specifically on that, but I know that PLME does not conduct interviews for applicants, other than the general Brown alumni interview. This suggests that none of the 389 interviewees were PLME students, giving a more moderate acceptance rate of 57%.

Compare UVA, a similarly ranked medical school which has a 68% post-interview acceptance rate. 57% is now not as extreme.

Reactions: 2 users
I would say that the spreadsheet does not account for this. It is a special case where Alpert has to report the total number of acceptances (including those given as a formality through AMCAS to PLMEs).

I do know that PLME students still have to officially go through all the motions of applying through AMCAS.

With this assumption, here's the math for acceptance rates.
So likely still above 50 percent acceptance rate (as a result of heavy pre-II screening), but PLME positively skew the acceptance percentage. Makes sense

Reactions: 1 users
So likely still above 50 percent acceptance rate (as a result of heavy pre-II screening), but PLME positively skew the acceptance percentage. Makes sense

*cough* no love for me haha, but speaking as a hypothetical Brown student, they don't need any more of us.
not that I'd want to go to Alpert anyways... I get lost in the hospital every two weeks trying to find my lab

When y'all log into the portal, do you see this on first page at the top?
Now accepting applications
Application Deadlines
AMCAS deadline is November 1, 2020.

All other deadlines for the following programs are December 1, 2020 at 11:45pm, EST
Regular MD Program Secondary Application
Combined MD-ScM Primary Care-Population Medicine Program Application
Combined MD/MPA Masters of Public Affairs Program Application
Combined
MD/PhD

Shouldn't it be 2019? Is it just mine is wrong? Have I somehow applied for the next year? :(

Members don't see this ad :)
When y'all log into the portal, do you see this on first page at the top?
Now accepting applications
Application Deadlines
AMCAS deadline is November 1, 2020.

All other deadlines for the following programs are December 1, 2020 at 11:45pm, EST
Regular MD Program Secondary Application
Combined MD-ScM Primary Care-Population Medicine Program Application
Combined MD/MPA Masters of Public Affairs Program Application
Combined
MD/PhD

Shouldn't it be 2019? Is it just mine is wrong? Have I somehow applied for the next year? :(
yes

Received an II last week (9/16)! Was trying to figure out if they are rolling admissions, and according to MSAR they will send out first acceptances on 11/15. I am interviewing on 10/10. Can anyone verify the 11/15 who has already interviewed? apologies for the neuroticism

Received an II last week (9/16)! Was trying to figure out if they are rolling admissions, and according to MSAR they will send out first acceptances on 11/15. I am interviewing on 10/10. Can anyone verify the 11/15 who has already interviewed? apologies for the neuroticism

They said that November 18th would be the first wave of decisions!

Reactions: 3 users

They also said they had several waves. When I interviewed (mid Sept), we were in the 11/18 group. Not sure if 10/10 will also be included in this, but they will tell you at your interview!

They also said they had several waves. When I interviewed (mid Sept), we were in the 11/18 group. Not sure if 10/10 will also be included in this, but they will tell you at your interview!

Thank you! I suppose it really doesn't make a difference...but I like knowing!

how long does it take to get a secondary after sending in primary

II Today!! OOS, complete 7/13, LM >70. I did Brown's SMP program last year which has no formal linkage, but really excited to go back to Prov!

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Has anyone interviewed and stayed with a host? I'm not quite sure how to request one using the document they attached -- did y'all email individual hosts yourself?

Has anyone interviewed and stayed with a host? I'm not quite sure how to request one using the document they attached -- did y'all email individual hosts yourself?
I emailed a host from the list and they were super nice! I would go for it, I'm sure they're very receptive if they signed up to be on the list

I did and loved it! Email them yourself with info about when you're coming, leaving, etc.

Just got an II!! Assuming I got someone’s abandoned spot haha

Last edited:
Reactions: 20 users
By the way, the post-II acceptance rate here is about 30%, not 80% as written on the spreadsheet.

Received an II this evening! I'm IS and was complete 8/9 if you wanted to know.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 13 users
It seems like they are slower at popping out II's, is this correct?

It seems like they are slower at popping out II's, is this correct?

They also don’t send out as many invites as most other schools (there were only 12 interviewees on my day). they definitely REALLY look at the apps in detail—all of my questions were pretty specific to me and the dean like recognized my name from looking at my file. So I think it’s mostly just that they’re extremely meticulous in vetting apps before sending out IIs.

I’d hold out hope—I think I was only the third interview day in early-mid October so I think they might’ve started interviewing a bit later than other schools :)

• Wow
They also don’t send out as many invites as most other schools (there were only 12 interviewees on my day). they definitely REALLY look at the apps in detail—all of my questions were pretty specific to me and the dean like recognized my name from looking at my file. So I think it’s mostly just that they’re extremely meticulous in vetting apps before sending out IIs.

I’d hold out hope—I think I was only the third interview day in early-mid October so I think they might’ve started interviewing a bit later than other schools :)
Just to add to this, they are one of the most selective schools when it comes to interviewing (~6%), so if you receive an II, they're already interested.

They started interviewing in September, but as you said, they send out invites pretty slowly

Because almost half of their class comes from the early assurance program with its undergrad.