2018ers...Where are you applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So the definition has changed and there are several debates, but I believe I am an URM being a Dominican female and so here are my stats 3.6/26 with a ton of ECs with leadership positions, scribe, but no research. As a Florida native I may want to leave my state for another urban city but I also love Miami.

DO Schools
Chicago COM
Nova COM
NYIT COM
Philly COM
Rowan SOM
Touro COM

MD Schools
BU
Drexel
FIU
FAU
FSU
GW
Harvard
Howard
Rutgers NJ
Rutgers Robert Wood
Tufts
UIC
USF

Wasn't going to apply to Harvard but they sent me a letter to apply and so I said why not.
I am waiting on verification but on the process of pre-writing all the secondaries.
Good luck guys!

We are applying to a lot of the same MD schools. I too would like to go to school outside of Florida. Best of luck! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys:

African American Illinois boy. Sent in my primary 7/24, hoping that's not too late, my advisors and professors told me its not. Im not too worried especially after considering all of the Med students at my state school who applied in August with my stats or lower.

List of schools:
Howard
Meharry
More house
Drexel
U of I (Top choice)
SIU
Rosy Franklin
Albany
NYMC
SUNY Upstate
FIU Herbert
Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
Rush
Western Michigan

Plan to add:
University Columbia Missouri**
George Washington university DC**
university of Missouri Kansas City
the common wealth medical college**
medical college of Wisconsin *
Eastern Virginia medical school *
University of Vermont
Penn state*
Hofstra
Loyola *
wake forest
Cooper medical school**

sGPA 3.5 cGPA 3.3 MCAT 29 ( VR 11, BS 10, PS 8)
4 strong letters
Decent EC's (not tons of hours here but a wide variety of experiences that I had good stuff to write about on the "work and activities" section)
Clinical job (over 1600hrs)
Good PS

Got some automatic secondaries already but won't be verified till late August.

Hey guys:

African American Illinois boy. Sent in my primary 7/24, hoping that's not too late, my advisors and professors told me its not. Im not too worried especially after considering all of the Med students at my state school who applied in August with my stats or lower.

List of schools:
Howard
Meharry
More house
Drexel
U of I (Top choice)
SIU
Rosy Franklin
Albany
NYMC
SUNY Upstate
FIU Herbert
Rush
Western Michigan

Plan to add:
University of Vermont
Penn state*
Hofstra
Loyola *
wake forest
Cooper medical school**

4 strong letters
Decent EC's (not tons of hours here but a wide variety of experiences that I had good stuff to write about on the "work and activities" section)
Good PS

What are your asterisks for

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys:

List of schools:
Howard
Meharry
More house
Drexel
U of I (Top choice)
SIU
Rosy Franklin
Albany
NYMC
SUNY Upstate
FIU Herbert
Rush
Western Michigan

Plan to add:
University of Vermont
Penn state*
Hofstra
Loyola *
wake forest
Cooper medical school**

4 strong letters
Good PS

good luck! It looks like you have a good list of schools.

Verified on 6/21

Perelman
Harvard
Yale
Johns Hopkins
Stanford
Loma Linda
UCSF
Temple
Jefferson
Rutgers-NJMS
Baylor
U of Miami
USF
BU

3.38/33

Verified on 6/21

Perelman
Harvard
Yale
Johns Hopkins
Stanford
Loma Linda
UCSF
Temple
Jefferson
Rutgers-NJMS
Baylor
U of Miami
USF
BU

3.38/33

I appreciate this list, bruh. Couple safeties and then a bunch of top 20s. I dig it man. We've got similar stats too -- good luck!

Verified on 6/21

Perelman
Harvard
Yale
Johns Hopkins
Stanford
Loma Linda
UCSF
Temple
Jefferson
Rutgers-NJMS
Baylor
U of Miami
USF
BU

3.38/33

Nice list, though it seems to have a lot disparity between the schools. Are you applying to a specific program that only exist at these schools?

Its time for me to chime in, I shall be applying this cycle too. My MCAT is currently scheduled for July 13 (couldn't get June 20th and already postponed from May). I'll be a reapplicant from the 2011-2012 cycle and have been doing a postbac to improve pretty much every part of my last app that could've been a red flag ( GPA, MCAT, late app, interview skills) so I'm coming in swinging this time around.

Well with the exception of the late app (well maybe, although I sent in my primary about a week later this year, I didn't complete any secondaries until Oct-Dec my last application. A mistake I won't be making this time)

My MCAT is pending (dear god, please be 30+, I spent so much time focusing on PS that I hope shows in the score)

My list is in my MDapps and is pretty much set, pending my MCAT score of course.

Lets go 2018!!!

Well with the exception of the late app (well maybe, although I sent in my primary about a week later this year, I didn't complete any secondaries until Oct-Dec my last application. A mistake I won't be making this time)

My MCAT is pending (dear god, please be 30+, I spent so much time focusing on PS that I hope shows in the score)

My list is in my MDapps and is pretty much set, pending my MCAT score of course.

Lets go 2018!!!

nice list, I hope it all works out!! Good luck

Lets go 2018!!!

Good luck! :luck: 33+ for sure ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
3.7 / 32 MCAT (10-11-11) - Native URM

Penn
Hopkins
U of Chicago
U of Michigan
Northwestern
Ohio State
Case Western
Loyola
Wayne State
Michigan State (MD)
Oakland

EC"s and letters are real solid, experience working with underserved communities, and nontrad

I made this list originally when I thought my MCAT score would be a bit higher, so I may have to adjust. Any suggestions on some schools to add that take a lot of URM students?

3.7 / 32 MCAT (10-11-11) - Native URM

Penn
Hopkins
U of Chicago
U of Michigan
Northwestern
Ohio State
Case Western
Loyola
Wayne State
Michigan State (MD)
Oakland

EC"s and letters are real solid, experience working with underserved communities, and nontrad

I made this list originally when I thought my MCAT score would be a bit higher, so I may have to adjust. Any suggestions on some schools to add that take a lot of URM students?

I wouldn't put the focus on schools that take a lot of URMs. Instead I would focus on schools that you would actually like to attend. You have the stats to be competitive at a lot of places, if your ECs are as solid as you say. If you can afford to expand your app some then I would include Vanderbilt, Yale, WashU, UCLA, UCSF, Stanford and UPitt.

Good luck.

That list I originally compiled is mostly centered around schools that I really like plus a few state schools. Is there any reason for suggesting those specific schools? I can afford to expand by a little bit, probably 14-15 max.

That list I originally compiled is mostly centered around schools that I really like plus a few state schools. Is there any reason for suggesting those specific schools? I can afford to expand by a little bit, probably 14-15 max.

Those schools like to have a diverse class. I had similar stats as you and thought I had no chance. Little did I know they seek out for similar types of applicants and their programs are awesome.

Verified on 6/21

Perelman
Harvard
Yale
Johns Hopkins
Stanford
Loma Linda
UCSF
Temple
Jefferson
Rutgers-NJMS
Baylor
U of Miami
USF
BU

3.38/33

Also love this list, what a top 5! Good luck!

Those schools like to have a diverse class. I had similar stats as you and thought I had no chance. Little did I know they seek out for similar types of applicants and their programs are awesome.

Appreciate the advice, love what I'm seeing looking into these schools

So I'm finally about to take my MCAT this Friday and have a question for those of you who have already conquered this beast. How did you feel going into the exam? Specifically, how prepared did you feel in the few days prior to your test?

I've studied for 8-10 weeks however was pretty inconsistent due to class and work. As far as content review goes I did the majority of it (~70-80%) w/ some practice problems but never fully got around to all of it. Over the past week or so I have managed to do 4 practice exams and am happy with the scores I'm getting but now that I'm doing some last minute skimming of content I'm seeing how much I really don't know. Honestly I am completely surprised by my scores given that I don't feel fully comfortable with the content.

Looking at the MCAT boards it seems the general consensus was that the actual exam was unlike the AAMC practice FLs and oftentimes more difficult. Was this the experience for you all? How much did you feel you had to rely on miscellaneous knowledge from content review rather than information provided from the passage? Also did anyone take the paper (R version) of the AAMCs, and did you feel like they were easier or more difficult?

I already postponed this exam twice and do not want to postpone any further especially as an applicant this cycle but the neurotic premed in me loaded with test anxiety is starting to consider that idea.

I thought it was more difficult than the average AAMC, scored a 32 but my last four AAMC's were 36,35,36,36. I would definitely not postpone again if you plan to apply this cycle.

I didn't feel like there was too much trivia type questions on my actual exam, having a strong understanding of the concepts in a broad sense and being able to apply to novel situations seemed to be the key.

Updated school list:

Yale
Hopkins
Penn
U of Chicago
Stanford
U of Michigan
Case Western
Vanderbilt
Brown
Wayne State
Michigan State
Oakland
Western Michigan

I thought it was more difficult than the average AAMC, scored a 32 but my last four AAMC's were 36,35,36,36. I would definitely not postpone again if you plan to apply this cycle.

I didn't feel like there was too much trivia type questions on my actual exam, having a strong understanding of the concepts in a broad sense and being able to apply to novel situations seemed to be the key.

Thanks! That helps. It appears you were still within the usual +/- 3 points of your average. I think I'm just going to focus on reviewing big concepts instead of small details, work on some passages from the AAMC Official Guide (maybe they're a little closer to this year's exams), and hope for the best on Friday.

Wayne State
U of Chicago - Pritzker
Rosalind Franklin University
Temple University
Drexel University
Baylor
Vanderbilt
U of Oklahoma
UCLA/Drew
UCSF
Loma Linda
Morehouse
Meharry
Howard

California resident 3.6 GPA/MCAT 31 Black URM Military/Nursing experience.
This thread is highly appreciated. Threw in a few safeties. I can afford to throw in a few more any advice?

Wayne State
U of Chicago - Pritzker
Temple University
Drexel University
Baylor
Vanderbilt
U of Oklahoma
UCLA/Drew
UCSF
Loma Linda
Morehouse
Meharry
Howard

This thread is highly appreciated. Threw in a few safeties. I can afford to throw in a few more any advice?

Awesome list! Good luck!

Wayne State
U of Chicago - Pritzker
Temple University
Drexel University
Baylor
Vanderbilt
U of Oklahoma
UCLA/Drew
UCSF
Loma Linda
Morehouse
Meharry
Howard

Nice MCAT, when did you submit your primary? Where are you from?

Nice MCAT, when did you submit your primary? Where are you from?

I am from soCal But currently at an AFB in Georgia. I came a little late to the table. I just submitted my primary yesterday.

I am from soCal But currently at an AFB in Georgia. I came a little late to the table. I just submitted my primary yesterday.

Oh nice. Yea ur list is really good, I'm sure you'll get some feedback from most of your schools. Although, I wonder how many of the schools on your list have rolling admissions..? I submitted kind of late too (July 24) I hope that doesn't bite us in the butt.

AA male
Cali resident
3.9ish GPA
MCAT - TBA (July 26th, scores come back Aug 27th)
AMCAS submitted July 3rd
Tons of research experiences, tutoring, 2 summers of med enrichment programs, various awards, member and president honor societies and of course shadowing experience dating back to high school.

Schools:
Case
Dartmouth
Harvard
Howard
Johns Hopkins
Mayo
Meharry
Netters
SUNY Downstate
Temple
OSU med
UCSF
UCD
UCLA
Rochester
Vandy
Yale

I'm realizing now I have a lot of ambitious choices without having a MCAT score. Any recommendations? I'm not quite sure what is considered a safety school considering I'm Cali resident.

AA male
Cali resident
3.9ish GPA
AMCAS submitted July 3rd
Tons of research experiences, tutoring, 2 summers of med enrichment programs, various awards, member and president honor societies and of course shadowing experience dating back to high school.

Schools:
Case
Dartmouth
Harvard
Howard
Johns Hopkins
Mayo
Meharry
Netters
SUNY Downstate
Temple
OSU med
UCSF
UCD
UCLA
Rochester
Vandy
Yale

I'm realizing now I have a lot of ambitious choices without having a MCAT score. Any recommendations? I'm not quite sure what is considered a safety school considering I'm Cali resident.

It all depends on where you're willing to go, bruh. There are certain schools that are very URM friendly and would jump to interview you (assuming the MCAT comes out okay). Those schools IMO are Wake Forest, University of Wisconsin, and University of Vermont....are all of them where you'd really wanna live? Probably not, but I have also heard that they give out full tuition scholarships to URMs in order to attract us to their less than ideal locales :thumbup:

Reply for Ambitionista

Basically, psyche yourself up before you go in. Go in feeling like a conqueror. Know that you have studied your best and you will give the test your all. Let God do the rest. And don't stress during the test, keep moving on. That was my mind set. Try it. You may never know. It could work for you too. Good luck

Reply for Ambitionista

Basically, psyche yourself up before you go in. Go in feeling like a conqueror. Know that you have studied your best and you will give the test your all. Let God do the rest. And don't stress during the test, keep moving on. That was my mind set. Try it. You may never know. It could work for you too. Good luck

Definitely going to try this! Thanks!

AA male
Cali resident
3.9ish GPA
AMCAS submitted July 3rd

Schools:
Case
Dartmouth
Harvard
Howard
Johns Hopkins
Mayo
Meharry
Netters
SUNY Downstate
Temple
OSU med
UCSF
UCD
UCLA
Rochester
Vandy
Yale

Yeah it's tough to speculate. Hope it all turns out well!

UPDATED LIST.

Wayne State
U of Chicago - Pritzker
Temple University
Drexel University
Baylor
Vanderbilt
UCLA/Drew
UCSF
Loma Linda
Meharry
Howard
Northwestern U
Georgetown U

UPDATED LIST.

Wayne State
U of Chicago - Pritzker
Temple University
Drexel University
Baylor
Vanderbilt
UCLA/Drew
UCSF
Loma Linda
Meharry
Howard
Northwestern U
Georgetown U

Good luck! Looks awesome. I love some of the schools on your list.

UCSF
Stanford
UCLA
UCLA PRIME
UC San Diego
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Riverside
USC Keck
Oregon Health Sci
Arizona Phoenix
Arizona Tucson
Mount Sinai
BU

I submitted to those 14 schools prior to seeing my 2nd MCAT score.

1st MCAT: 12P, 3V, 11B
2nd MCAT: 9P, 7V, 10B

So, my MCAT is pretty low, but at least I brought my verbal up to a score that is apply-able. I want to add more schools with lower 10th percentile MCATs that I think I would be happy attending. So far I have:

OUWB
Drexel
Penn State Hershey

I'm applying URM/Disadvantaged, I speak spanish, from CA, 3.5sGPA, good all around-EC's, maybe an upcoming publication in JoVE :D

Any ideas for more schools?

Maybe add some midwest schools in there? Like Creighton, MCW, Loyola, or SLU?

I'm applying URM/Disadvantaged, I speak spanish, from CA, 3.5sGPA, good all around-EC's, maybe an upcoming publication in JoVE :D

Any ideas for more schools?

Eres catolico? Consider the Jesuit schools, Saint Louis University, Creighton and Georgetown

Eres catolico? Consider the Jesuit schools, Saint Louis University, Creighton and Georgetown

Well, my family is. :laugh: Plus I am out in my primary, so I don't think they'd want me anyway.

Thanks for the suggestions though!

Maybe add some midwest schools in there? Like Creighton, MCW, Loyola, or SLU?
I may add loyola, but I don't know if it's too out of reach? Their GPA/MCAT 10th %tiles are pretty high...

Well, my family is. :laugh: Plus I am out in my primary, so I don't think they'd want me anyway.

I may add loyola, but I don't know if it's too out of reach? Their GPA/MCAT 10th %tiles are pretty high...

The Jesuits are actually pretty progressive on LGBT rights. Do some Google searches on it...compared to the rest of the Catholic church they are wayyy ahead, but hey don't blame you :thumbup:

I just think your 26 MCAT may be a little short for most of the UC schools, but I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

I know someone at Loyola with your stats. I would apply!

Thanks I'll add Loyola then!

Do you guys think they'll place any weight on the fact that my science scores were higher on my first take? My hope is to go to a UC so hopefully they can look past my 26.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Idk if this is the right thread but yo it takes like a billion years to get an II. Lol. I'm dying here!

I was just complete last Friday (8/16) though, so I'm probably just being my typical neurotic self.

Idk if this is the right thread but yo it takes like a billion years to get an II. Lol. I'm dying here!

I was just complete last Friday (8/16) though, so I'm probably just being my typical neurotic self.

Haha chill! Did you submit all of your secondaries this weekend?

Haha chill! Did you submit all of your secondaries this weekend?

Lol I know I'm a mess. Naw I've been submitting them since July. I only have UCLA left to do, because I just got the secondary yesterday.

Lol I know I'm a mess. Naw I've been submitting them since July. I only have UCLA left to do, because I just got the secondary yesterday.

Hey you're ahead of me then...I haven't gotten a secondary from UCLA!

But you have IIs lol. You'll get UCLA eventually.

Getting IIs won't make the neuroticism disappear...then you start wondering why other schools haven't offered you one :laugh: it's a never ending cycle unless you get into your dream school in October or something lol