2018ers...Where are you applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any body started working on their personal statement? I thought I had a pretty solid draft but I sent it to somebody on SDN to read and they tore it apart haha so I'm back to the drawing board and can't get anything together..ughh

I have a decent draft but I am still not satisfied with it. I highly doubt I will send it to someone on SDN to read. Lol

Members don't see this ad.

App season is coming soon. I going to need major help from you guys for the process.

I know May 1 to go to AACOMAS to register and input my info.
I already have my PS done, I need to found someone to revise it through. And Kaplan charges 700 dollars...why couldn't I be a rich kid.

But I also need to send my transcripts and MCAT scores, when do I do this????

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I'm applying in the upcoming application cycle as well. I plan on applying to school mainly in the South East. Being out of ATL, I enjoy the region.

1st choice is in ATL

Meharry, Morehouse, Mercer, Emory

I take my MCAT on July 20

Members don't see this ad :)
App season is coming soon. I going to need major help from you guys for the process.

I already have my PS done, I need to found someone to revise it through. And Kaplan charges 700 dollars...why couldn't I be a rich kid.

:confused: Kaplan charges $700 to review your PS?? :thumbdown:bullcrap: That's so ridiculous, there's definitely people on SDN willing to review it for you. I can't believe its that expensive lol I would have figured it'd be pricey but 700 is just unnecessary. I didn't even think it would cost that much to get advisement on your whole application.

:confused: Kaplan charges $700 to review your PS?? :thumbdown:bullcrap: That's so ridiculous, there's definitely people on SDN willing to review it for you. I can't believe its that expensive lol I would have figured it'd be pricey but 700 is just unnecessary. I didn't even think it would cost that much to get advisement on your whole application.

You can definitely get some SDN people to look at it for you. Some take a longgggg time though because so many people hit them up. I have had luck with one person so far, she is looking at my newest draft :scared:

Schools in TX, FL & CA. Staying away from the cold if i can help it

Schools in TX, FL & CA. Staying away from the cold if i can help it

You got TX or CA ties? They got some awesome state schools, but my understanding is that it is quite difficult to get into them unless you've got monster stats (which you may). Regardless I'm definitely going to apply to a couple CA schools to test my luck.

So my state list is:
California
Florida
Illinois
Ohio
New York
Pennsylvania
Georgia
D.C.
Maryland
Virginia

I was told I have pretty decent ECs, so I feel like everything is dependent upon my MCAT score. Almost 2 weeks left. :scared:

Not too sure of my list but I will be applying to every Cali school besides Loma Linda, as well as a decent amount of reaches depending on my MCAT score. I take the test in July.

You got TX or CA ties? They got some awesome state schools, but my understanding is that it is quite difficult to get into them unless you've got monster stats (which you may). Regardless I'm definitely going to apply to a couple CA schools to test my luck.

I'm gonna apply to some Cali schools as well, like ill probably apply to Stanford (big reach for me but why not lol) and have been thinking of applying to Keck and one of the UCLA's but really doubt I have a snowballs chance of getting in lol

if you have demonstrated interest in underserved communities, the PRIME programs will look favorably on you!

^^Ding ding ding! I'm definitely looking at UCSF-PRIME, UCLA-PRIME, UCSD-PRIME, and UCIrivine-PRIME-LC (Latino based PRIME)

I hope they show an out of state brother some love :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)

I haven't gone through the application process yet but as far as what I've heard from other people, send your transcripts in ASAP (so as soon as your spring 2013 grades are on record) . You want to do this early because you never know how long it will take or if anything may delay it.

As far as your MCAT scores, you can complete the application without one and just put the date you plan on taking it in the summer. Once you take the exam, I heard you will have 2 options, you can automatically send that score out to the medical schools you are applying to, or you can hold onto the score before sending your application out (people do this because their MCAT score may depend on which school's they are applying to so they want to find out their score first before sending it off to medical schools)

That's as far as my knowledge goes on the topic

so i want to apply MD and DO but I dont think I could get into a MD program without an SMP (unless the HBCUs show love?)---so maybe Ill just do DO schools this cycle..but it seems like many DO schools have an expiration date on pre-reqs, and mine have been spread out since 2008 so that is cutting my list down even shorter. idk what to do, maybe not even apply this cycle? im looknig to apply states SMP which is the only program Ive found that has spring starting option :confused:

I have a friend in UC Davis PRIME and he said that there are three things that make a great candidate for the program: 1) Desire to serve the underserved, 2) Demonstrated leadership potential, and 3) speaking Spanish!

I'm sure that the other PRIMEs will prefer these characteristics too! So highlight those qualities/activities in your application/secondaries if you get em!

Good luck! :)

ive never heard of these PRIME programs?? but I do know Im trying to get my spanish fluent by the end of the year. im like at the bottom of the hill and if i had people to practice with or could travel to spain for a summer i feel like id get over the hump. watching spanish languages movies only gets me so far.

so i want to apply MD and DO but I dont think I could get into a MD program without an SMP (unless the HBCUs show love?)---so maybe Ill just do DO schools this cycle..but it seems like many DO schools have an expiration date on pre-reqs, and mine have been spread out since 2008 so that is cutting my list down even shorter. idk what to do, maybe not even apply this cycle? im looknig to apply states SMP which is the only program Ive found that has spring starting option :confused:

Lay out your stats yo

ive never heard of these PRIME programs?? but I do know Im trying to get my spanish fluent by the end of the year. im like at the bottom of the hill and if i had people to practice with or could travel to spain for a summer i feel like id get over the hump. watching spanish languages movies only gets me so far.

Side note: You do NOT want to speak like a Spaniard lol the Latinos will laugh you right out of the clinic

Side note: You do NOT want to speak like a Spaniard lol the Latinos will laugh you right out of the clinic

good point, lol, that whole issue they have with "s"es bugs me to no end. but i said spain b/c people from my Uni usually go there and thats what I see advertise the most on the study abroad programs. my stats: 3.2cgpa 2.8sgpa (2.9sgpa if I apply DO), mcat, GRE, and dat this summer God willing (dont ask about DAT, gotta have a back up lol), worked 2 years as med scribe for private dr office, 2 years work as cna, and volunteering over the years but not a cray cray amount --but always at community organizations, and ill continue that trend this summer when i volunteer, if i have time

i dont want to be unrealistic and think that #1 i will crack a 30+, and #2 that if i did crack a 30+ it would get me into MD...so always prepare for the worst?

Mt. Sinai = #1:love:
Columbia
Cornell
Suny Downstate
Suny Upstate
Suny Buff
StonyBrook
NY medical college
NYU
Hofstra
UMDNJ-Newark
Touro-Harlem

Not sure about Einstein, still weighing some pros/cons

Strong regional preference here as you can see lol

Also applying to PCOM-Atlanta, Emory, Morehouse. Maybe Lecom-Bradenton though I was really turned off by this school when I chatted with an admissions person at a school fair

Maybe list:

Quinnipac
GWU
Howard
Georgetown
Tufts

Mt. Sinai = #1:love:
Columbia
Cornell
Suny Downstate
Suny Upstate
Suny Buff
StonyBrook
NY medical college
NYU
Hofstra
UMDNJ-Newark
Touro-Harlem

Not sure about Einstein, still weighing some pros/cons

Strong regional preference here as you can see lol

Also applying to PCOM-Atlanta, Emory, Morehouse. Maybe Lecom-Bradenton though I was really turned off by this school when I chatted with an admissions person at a school fair

Maybe list:

Quinnipac
GWU
Howard
Georgetown
Tufts

Someone is scared to leave the tri-state area ;)...that's a solid list I will def be applying to a lot of those NY schools...what are your potential issues with Einstein?

sub 3.0 will likely get you screened out at most MD schools, even if you are an URM unless you are able to pull off a really good MCAT score (probably 38+).

Your ECs are good, but the GPA will hold you back. DO schools may be more lenient with a 30+ MCAT

yup thats what i figure. so ill probably just stick to SMP

Hi everyone! Fellow NC resident heading to med school in the fall! let me know if I can be of any help. Good luck on everything

Hi everyone! Fellow NC resident heading to med school in the fall! let me know if I can be of any help. Good luck on everything

What's up?! Where are you going to school?

Also, did you contact schools before the application cycle expressing interest?

What's up?! Where are you going to school?

Also, did you contact schools before the application cycle expressing interest?

2105 comes out of the woodwork at the sign of a fellow NC resident :laugh:

I got the same question tho!

2105 comes out of the woodwork at the sign of a fellow NC resident :laugh:

I got the same question tho!

:D I gotta show my NC ppl love!

I've actually been working on my list to share with everyone
Here's what I got so far:

MD:
UNC
Meharry
Howard
NYMC
Duke (reach)
Rosy Franklin

MD/PhD:
UMDNJ
UT San Antonio
Wake
Tulane
UIC
U Cincinnati

My GPA isn't too hot, but dammit I want a dual degree lol I've been calling some directors and I've gotten some good vibes. Especially from the ones that want to diversify.

I'll be at Brody! Absolutely loved it there and ready for the change.
They came to the health fairs we had at school but I didn't do anything other than drop by the table.

MD:
UNC
Meharry
Howard
NYMC
Duke (reach)
Rosy Franklin

MD/PhD:
UMDNJ
UT San Antonio
Wake
Tulane
UIC
U Cincinnati

My GPA isn't too hot, but dammit I want a dual degree lol I've been calling some directors and I've gotten some good vibes. Especially from the ones that want to diversify.

You don't wanna try MD/PhD for UNC? I know that for them if you don't make it in the MD/PhD pool (and you're an in-state applicant) they will move you to the MD pool

You don't wanna try MD/PhD for UNC? I know that for them if you don't make it in the MD/PhD pool (and you're an in-state applicant) they will move you to the MD pool

Na. I've talked to someone in the program and she was saying that they make their decisions pretty late and if/when I get moved to MD pool they've filled the majority of their slots.
Also, she made it seem that the transfer into the program as an M1 student is fairly simple. I just think that I have a better chance at their MD program than MSTP.

This is also my plan for the other MD programs I am applying to.

MD:
UNC
Meharry
Howard
NYMC
Duke (reach)
Rosy Franklin

MD/PhD:
UMDNJ
UT San Antonio
Wake
Tulane
UIC
U Cincinnati

Interesting that you've received such good vibes from directors.. I emailed just about every school on my list and got responses from maybe 2? And of those 2 only one actually ended up being an actual conversation... I'm assuming they were just crazy busy, but my feelings were still a bit hurt :(

Interesting that you've received such good vibes from directors.. I emailed just about every school on my list and got responses from maybe 2? And of those 2 only one actually ended up being an actual conversation... I'm assuming they were just crazy busy, but my feelings were still a bit hurt :(

Well I've had like 3 phone conversations and 3 email exchanges. It might be because I'm talking to the MD/PhD programs. I haven't tried talking to MD only programs, their applicant pools are so much larger idk if it would even be worth it.

MD:
UNC
Meharry
Howard
NYMC
Duke (reach)
Rosy Franklin

MD/PhD:
UMDNJ
UT San Antonio
Wake
Tulane
UIC
U Cincinnati

So when you say you called the directors, they were generally receptive in regards to questions on whether or not you'd stand a chance in applying to their school? I was thinking about doing the same once my finals are over, but wasn't really sure how to go about it.

So when you say you called the directors, they were generally receptive in regards to questions on whether or not you'd stand a chance in applying to their school? I was thinking about doing the same once my finals are over, but wasn't really sure how to go about it.

So I emailed them saying that I was interested in their program because of (insert something I saw on their website) and mentioned that I identify as a URM. I also asked some questions about their admissions process, what kind of students are they looking for, etc. at the end I would say that I would love to speak over the phone if they are available. Some directors mentioned a phone meeting without me asking which made me even more excited about their program. I've only done this with MD/PhD programs though. Also sometimes they would forward my email to a program administrator or manager. In some cases I think that they give more specific information about admissions.

In 2 of my phone calls I've actually felt comfortable enough to express some worries about my GPA. Idk if that is wise, but they were still supportive and that they really look at applicants holistically and told me just do well on the MCAT.

Also, I told them my career goals and encouraged me to apply and said I sound like the type of student they are looking for etc. They might just want my application fee but it made me feel special lol

I think reaching out to dean's of diversity or directors of multicultural affairs might be the easiest way in...most of them sit on AdComms anyway and they obviously have an interest in URM applicants...I have had an opportunity to have a couple of phone conversations with them...one of which even looked over my whole CV and transcripts and gave me pointers about my PS and applying and what not...super helpful :thumbup:

I think reaching out to dean's of diversity or directors of multicultural affairs might be the easiest way in...most of them sit on AdComms anyway and they obviously have an interest in URM applicants...I have had an opportunity to have a couple of phone conversations with them...one of which even looked over my whole CV and transcripts and gave me pointers about my PS and applying and what not...super helpful :thumbup:

I agree, sometimes this can be very helpful for putting together your app. Most cases you will get some useful advise.

Anybody else plateauing on certain subsection scores for the MCAT? I have gotten 12 on verbal multiple practice tests in a row and I don't really know how to improve it (I know I shouldn't complain because a 12 is good, but if my other scores are 9s I'm going to need to maximize it :laugh:)...it's like regardless of what I do I'm going to get 3 problems wrong...kind of frustrating

Anybody else plateauing on certain subsection scores for the MCAT? I have gotten 12 on verbal multiple practice tests in a row and I don't really know how to improve it (I know I shouldn't complain because a 12 is good, but if my other scores are 9s I'm going to need to maximize it :laugh:)...it's like regardless of what I do I'm going to get 3 problems wrong...kind of frustrating

A 12 is awesome. If its really your plateau then focus your energy on the other sections.

A 12 is awesome. If its really your plateau then focus your energy on the other sections.

I have gotten it on 3 tests so far so hopefully it is real haha. I am trying to focus my energy on my problem areas in PS and BS...I'm really not good at O Chem and I feel that regardless of what I do I'm going to end up missing some organic questions...I take on May 23rd so I don't have a whole lot of time to learn orgo

The better your score, the harder it is to increase it. A 12 is a very good verbal score and will set you apart from other applicants. I would focus on the other sections.

The better your score, the harder it is to increase it. A 12 is a very good verbal score and will set you apart from other applicants. I would focus on the other sections.

I appreciate it. I don't really study for verbal i just kinda get it. I definitely have more trouble with BS than anything...super convoluted passages throw me off my game and get me tripping over myself haha

12's! Bruh, teach me your ways! lol I think I just get exhausted after doing PS, when I get the passage I'm fine, but if not.. I'm screwed and I panic. Hopefully I'll have a clearer mind after these finals.

Also, do you guys know of any other (preferably 'free') materials for VR. I'm almost done with EK and TPRH. I'm working on the AAMC verbal assessment as well.

12's! Bruh, teach me your ways! lol I think I just get exhausted after doing PS, when I get the passage I'm fine, but if not.. I'm screwed and I panic. Hopefully I'll have a clearer mind after these finals.

Also, do you guys know of any other (preferably 'free') materials for VR. I'm almost done with EK and TPRH. I'm working on the AAMC verbal assessment as well.

I feel you. PS melts my brain as well, I am always down to the wire on it; therefore, I always try and take the full 10 minute break.

As far as my take on verbal goes:
1) I pretty much use the system outlined in ExamKrackers
2) When I'm reading I try to get a firm idea of what the author looks like...what their opinions are...and especially why they wrote the passage. They are obviously doing so for a reason and that is usually the "main" theme of the passage.
3) On the AAMC tests I always use the title given at the bottom of each passage that shows you where it originally came from...I find it gives clues to the author's intentions and theme
4) Probably what I find the most useful: I read cocky as hell. I'm super pretentious in my reading and if I don't understand what's going on in the passage I assume it's due to the writer not being concise/a good writer, not because I can't understand it.

I have done pretty much no practice passages for verbal other than the FLs. I do however read and write a lot anyway.

Have you been doing the EK101? I've heard they're good. They are setting on my table at home in case I start to bomb some of my full lengths and panic on my verbal skills :laugh:

I honestly believe reading arrogantly and trying to pick up on the devices the writer is using to convey his message are the keys to doing well on verbal. I think people over-think things quite a bit and end up inferring too much and putting their own opinions into the writer's mouth. A lot of times there are truthful and seemingly good answers for questions that simply are too beyond what the author said in the passage.

I apologize if "teach me your ways" was a jest and not a request for my take on verbal reasoning, but if what I said is any help to anyone, go with it :laugh:

We're like twins! Verbal is my best section by far, can't really improve much when I'm only getting a couple questions wrong. PS I make dumb mistakes but I think I'll be fine on the real deal. BS though . . . killing me haha.

We're like twins! Verbal is my best section by far, can't really improve much when I'm only getting a couple questions wrong. PS I make dumb mistakes but I think I'll be fine on the real deal. BS though . . . killing me haha.

Same! I have found that when the BS passage is on a subject I don't have a particularly good background on I end up getting lost in the details and have to go back to the passage repeatedly while answering relatively simple questions (and still get them wrong half of the time). I always finish BS with like 10 minutes to spare (probably because I don't know the material well enough) so I am going to start trying to map out passages that are too convoluted for me.

The ones that are in my strengths (I am working on my MS in microbiology so anything micro, molecular, immunology or biochem based I feel great about) I usually do well on but if something I'm not good at (organic reactions, endocrine system, genetics) I just get lost lol

Same! I have found that when the BS passage is on a subject I don't have a particularly good background on I end up getting lost in the details and have to go back to the passage repeatedly while answering relatively simple questions (and still get them wrong half of the time). I always finish BS with like 10 minutes to spare (probably because I don't know the material well enough) so I am going to start trying to map out passages that are too convoluted for me.

The ones that are in my strengths (I am working on my MS in microbiology so anything micro, molecular, immunology or biochem based I feel great about) I usually do well on but if something I'm not good at (organic reactions, endocrine system, genetics) I just get lost lol

Idk how much time you have before your test, but BS is a good section to attack because there is a limited amount of testable info. I memorized almost all the facts from my PR bio section, which is manageable if you have time. The Key to the BS section is understanding the limited scope of question the MCAT is going to ask. Once you understand the scope it's easier to filter out all the noise.

Idk how much time you have before your test, but BS is a good section to attack because there is a limited amount of testable info. I memorized almost all the facts from my PR bio section, which is manageable if you have time. The Key to the BS section is understanding the limited scope of question the MCAT is going to ask. Once you understand the scope it's easier to filter out all the noise.

May 23rd bruh haha. So 22 days? :laugh: I don't feel terrible about the stuff, just certain subjects get me spinning in circles

What facts did you memorize? / What do you think is most important to memorize? Hormones, Amino Acid groupings, etc?

May 23rd bruh haha. So 22 days? :laugh: I don't feel terrible about the stuff, just certain subjects get me spinning in circles

What facts did you memorize? / What do you think is most important to memorize? Hormones, Amino Acid groupings, etc?

I dont mean to just bud into the conversation but in terms of what you should memorize... well kind of all of it because which test you get is a crap shoot in terms of what is on it or what is more emphasized. I took the test twice, for VR score purposes, and my two PS and BS couldn't be anymore different in terms of which concept they emphasized.