2018ers...Where are you applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
RANT:

I recently spoke with black male doctor, who sometimes sits on ADCOMs, referred to me by a relative. He wanted to review my app, so I sent him a print-out of my AMCAS. I guess he assumed I didn't submit it yet, because he immediately told me my personal statement sucked. His reasoning was "old white republicans" would not be able relate because they've never experienced hardship. I was a bit confused because I do not talk about any hardship in my PS. I told him that I already submitted and I couldn't make any changes. I asked for feedback on how to improve but he could not offer any. He came off extremely aggressive during our conversation, and gave me the impression that I should withdraw my application. I'm a bit worried now and I don't know if I should take his comments seriously. My PS was reviewed multiple times by non-family members, and even people in his position or higher.

I was debating whether or not to apply to his school, but after our conversation I am definitely not applying.

Sorry just needed an outlet

Members don't see this ad.

RANT:

I recently spoke with black male doctor, who sometimes sits on ADCOMs, referred to me by a relative. He wanted to review my app, so I sent him a print-out of my AMCAS. I guess he assumed I didn't submit it yet, because he immediately told me my personal statement sucked. His reasoning was "old white republicans" would not be able relate because they've never experienced hardship. I was a bit confused because I do not talk about any hardship in my PS. I told him that I already submitted and I couldn't make any changes. I asked for feedback on how to improve but he could not offer any. He came off extremely aggressive during our conversation, and gave me the impression that I should withdraw my application. I'm a bit worried now and I don't know if I should take his comments seriously. My PS was reviewed multiple times by non-family members, and even people in his position or higher.

I was debating whether or not to apply to his school, but after our conversation I am definitely not applying.

That's unfortunate and extremely discouraging. You should just not apply to that school and keep it moving. If you're a young URM, since when are you expected to be able to 'relate to old white republicans'? Your PS is suppose to be about YOU and the reasons behind YOUR passion for medicine. If anything you're supposed to highlight everything about you that is different from 'old white republicans'. You've been satisfied with it for this long. Don't let one negative review discourage you. I think what is most disappointing is how critical he was yet uninterested in offering any type of helpful advice. As a fellow URM already in the profession he really could have done better.

RANT:

Damn brother...I feel for you. I had these same concerns when I wrote my PS...I didn't want to seem to lefty and too "fight the power". Was this a school in the south?? I bet you'll find a lot of the ADCOMs in the north and in the top 20 are pretty liberal or at least moderate enough to understand your perspective.

You just gotta keep it moving, it only takes one acceptance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, it's a school in the south! I'm open to criticism but he caught me off guard with his comments. I'm only applying to 2 schools in the south, but I'm weary of attending such schools due to that type of mentality.

Getting IIs won't make the neuroticism disappear...then you start wondering why other schools haven't offered you one :laugh: it's a never ending cycle unless you get into your dream school in October or something lol

True dat lol. I just got my first II tho so YAY!

Ugh, reading all the stuff here on sdn has me doubting my chances. My app is late and my mcat is horrible. I have a strong desire to stay close to family (CA) but I don't know if that's possible anymore. I kinda just feel like re-taking the mcat but studying my ass off with TBR and re-applying early next year. I feel like everything else on my app is good except for my mcat, but that's probably the thing that will hinder my CA chances. If only my science scores didn't drop when I re-took...

Ugh, reading all the stuff here on sdn has me doubting my chances. My app is late and my mcat is horrible. I have a strong desire to stay close to family (CA) but I don't know if that's possible anymore. I kinda just feel like re-taking the mcat but studying my ass off with TBR and re-applying early next year. I feel like everything else on my app is good except for my mcat, but that's probably the thing that will hinder my CA chances. If only my science scores didn't drop when I re-took...

You can always ask schools how they look at the scores. Some schools will average the scores, some will look only at the most recent, and others will super score (take the highest score from each section) when evaluating their applicants. You never know until you ask.

You can always ask schools how they look at the scores. Some schools will average the scores, some will look only at the most recent, and others will super score (take the highest score from each section) when evaluating their applicants. You never know until you ask.

Superscore would be awesome because then I'd have a 30! But regardless, I've already submitted so there's nothing I can do about it. I guess I'll find out when I do or don't get secondaries.

Sorry to be a downer to this thread! Lol. I'll try to remain optimistic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have submitted all but one of my secondaries, but I'm still waiting on two of my LORs. Are my chances decreasing the longer my writers take. It's sooooo frustrating. Does anyone have any imput?

I have submitted all but one of my secondaries, but I'm still waiting on two of my LORs. Are my chances decreasing the longer my writers take. It's sooooo frustrating. Does anyone have any imput?

I know that's probably frustrating but you're still pretty far ahead compared to many other applicants, including myself. Haha. I don't think you should stress it.

On another note, now that I'm past the MCAT I am finally going to finalize my school list. I've only applied to the following 8 schools so far. My info is in my MDApps. I'm hoping for a 32+ MCAT. Anyone have any suggestions for other schools to check out? I have the MSAR in paperback but would really like to narrow my search...

In State (VA Resident):
UVA
EVMS
VCU

Out of State:
Wake
Emory

Reach:
Columbia
Hopkins
Duke

How about some schools over here in sunny CA?

UCSF?

... although, San Francisco really isn't that sunny ever. :D

After getting my disappointing MCAT score back, I feel as if I should reevaluate my list. The problem is that I love every school on my list and don't want to take anything off. I need to be smart to maximize my chances but I also don't want to think what if? Anyone got any suggestions?

After getting my disappointing MCAT score back, I feel as if I should reevaluate my list. The problem is that I love every school on my list and don't want to take anything off. I need to be smart to maximize my chances but I also don't want to think what if? Anyone got any suggestions?

How low we talking bro? If you're still above 28 then I say go for it. I heard that Columbia won't interview below a 28 and I'm sure a lot of the higher schools are like that.

How is your GPA? I don't think you are out of the running just yet. Maybe you can add a few more safety schools but I wouldn't change your list too much.

How low we talking bro? If you're still above 28 then I say go for it. I heard that Columbia won't interview below a 28 and I'm sure a lot of the higher schools are like that.

My mdapps MCAT is the new score. It's only a one point increase from my last test. PS had got me last time, this time verbal decided to stab me in the back.

Ugh, so frustrating. I've done everything right to improve my app just to have this happen. Feels bad man.

My mdapps MCAT is the new score. It's only a one point increase from my last test. PS had got me last time, this time verbal decided to stab me in the back.

Ugh, so frustrating. I've done everything right to improve my app just to have this happen. Feels bad man.

If your LizzyM is still 65+ I vote you stay on track man...throw out a few reaches, they might bite still bruh! Especially with the post-bac and what not

hang in there bro.

Guys I'm freaking out! My apps have been complete since 8/29 (delay due to LOR), but i haven't got any II yet. How long should I expect to wait before getting IIs?
Stats: sGPA:3.5 cGPA: 3.7 MCAT: 24-28

Guys I'm freaking out! My apps have been complete since 8/29 (delay due to LOR), but i haven't got any II yet. How long should I expect to wait before getting IIs?
Stats: sGPA:3.5 cGPA: 3.7 MCAT: 24-28

I might not be the best person to answer this but I know applicants with similar, better, and worse stats that are still waiting to hear from schools. I don't think you are alone.

Here's my finalized list. My primary has been sent to all the schools below. I've received secondaries from all except UNC (just submitted primary to them yesterday). I am complete at BU.

Columbia
Johns Hopkins
UPenn
Cornell
Vanderbilt
NYU
BU
Duke
UNC
Wake Forest
Emory
UVA
VCU
EVMS
GW

I will be potentially adding a few more depending on $$$ and how long it takes me to pump out the rest of these secondaries (verified, MCAT, and LoRs in, just have essays on essays on essays). I'm just hoping I'm not reaching to high.

If anyone has any recommendations please do tell! :)