2018-2019 Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Doesn't Brown have a bias for rich, private school kids? Basically my middle class self has no chance here even though I have high stats, right?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Doesn't Brown have a bias for rich, private school kids? Basically my middle class self has no chance here even though I have high stats, right?
that's not true. I definitely don't fit that description and I interviewed here!

Reactions: 1 user

Hello! Middle class self with an interview here!

Members don't see this ad :)

Not any more bias than any other medical school. Wealthy students obviously have more opportunities resources to succeed. I’m a first gen low income student. Sure I don’t have some of the fancy experiences some of my peers have but I like to think I also bring something different to the table. Brown also has a good financial aid program and most students qualify for some kind of aid.

My interview is coming up here and I am very afraid of being waitlisted :(

@Jamba1995 Brown has a very rigorous screening process and they offer fewer interviews compared to other schools. The fact that you've gotten an interview is already a huge accomplishment. Try to enjoy yourself on interview day and have a good sense of who you are as a person and of your application, how your experiences have shaped and informed your decision to go into medicine and of course your interests outside of medicine. With 7 interview invites, I suspect you're a very strong candidate. Brown also tends to waitlist a lot of people but they also end up accepting a lot of people from the list (I think roughly ~1/4-1/3 of my class came off the waitlist).

@Jamba1995 Brown has a very rigorous screening process and they offer fewer interviews compared to other schools. The fact that you've gotten an interview is already a huge accomplishment. Try to enjoy yourself on interview day and have a good sense of who you are as a person and of your application, how your experiences have shaped and informed your decision to go into medicine and of course your interests outside of medicine. With 7 interview invites, I suspect you're a very strong candidate. Brown also tends to waitlist a lot of people but they also end up accepting a lot of people from the list (I think roughly ~1/4-1/3 of my class came off the waitlist).

Thank you for your kind message - my undergrad performance was no where near perfect so I am still a bit shocked I got one of the few interview spots. Would really love to attend this school so just a bit nervous! Your tips are helpful. I will try to stay positive, excited, and have my personality shine on interview day. If I do get waitlisted, do you recommend sending a letter of intent?

Thank you for your kind message - my undergrad performance was no where near perfect so I am still a bit shocked I got one of the few interview spots. Would really love to attend this school so just a bit nervous! Your tips are helpful. I will try to stay positive, excited, and have my personality shine on interview day. If I do get waitlisted, do you recommend sending a letter of intent?

We're staying positive, yeah? If memory serves me correctly, if you interview before late October you should hear back before Thanksgiving. Three things can happen: you can get accepted (yay), denied :(, or waitlisted (???). Brown is very picky with their interviews but they also don't have that many spots (out of a class of 140, roughly 30-40 are PLME students straight from Brown undergrad, some linkage student spots, so that leaves about maybe 100-110 spots for regular applicants applying through AMCAS). If you interview earlier in the season, I think the quality of applicants tends to be higher and they waitlist a lot.

In the event you get waitlisted (which, not gonna lie, totally sucks and somehow feels almost worse than flat-out rejection), if you want to send a letter of intent, sure, you can send it but I would wait until late February/March at the earliest when interviews are over. A letter of intent won't carry much weight unless you already have an offer from a school of similar caliber in hand but Brown definitely uses their waitlist.

We're staying positive, yeah? If memory serves me correctly, if you interview before late October you should hear back before Thanksgiving. Three things can happen: you can get accepted (yay), denied :(, or waitlisted (???). Brown is very picky with their interviews but they also don't have that many spots (out of a class of 140, roughly 30-40 are PLME students straight from Brown undergrad, some linkage student spots, so that leaves about maybe 100-110 spots for regular applicants applying through AMCAS). If you interview earlier in the season, I think the quality of applicants tends to be higher and they waitlist a lot.

In the event you get waitlisted (which, not gonna lie, totally sucks and somehow feels almost worse than flat-out rejection), if you want to send a letter of intent, sure, you can send it but I would wait until late February/March at the earliest when interviews are over. A letter of intent won't carry much weight unless you already have an offer from a school of similar caliber in hand but Brown definitely uses their waitlist.

That makes sense. Fingers crossed I wont have to. Thanks :)

I have a full scholarship in hand, the only missing component is an acceptance letter -- I hope they are bias :)

Interviewing here soon, are interviews held in the morning or afternoon or do they divide you into groups that interview at different times?

Interviewing here soon, are interviews held in the morning or afternoon or do they divide you into groups that interview at different times?

Interviews are held in the afternoon! Each person has a different interview time.

ABSOLUTELY LOVED MY INTERVIEW AT BROWN.

The admissions staff treats everyone with respect. They are so genuinely excited to meet all the candidates. Because of the intense screening, you know they are serious about you. Which is nice and something I really appreciated. I think it really made everyone feel a bit more at ease. Every I talked to was genuinely interested in getting to know me as a candidate and the interviews felt more like conversations. @whoever mentioned it earlier in this thread: Marcy is wonderful!

I would recommend staying with a student host the night before the interview. I stayed with three students who lived together in an apartment and they were amazing! They gave me a tour of providence and hosted me for dinner.

Best of luck to everyone this cycle :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Interviews are held in the afternoon! Each person has a different interview time.

ABSOLUTELY LOVED MY INTERVIEW AT BROWN.

The admissions staff treats everyone with respect. They are so genuinely excited to meet all the candidates. Because of the intense screening, you know they are serious about you. Which is nice and something I really appreciated. I think it really made everyone feel a bit more at ease. Every I talked to was genuinely interested in getting to know me as a candidate and the interviews felt more like conversations. @whoever mentioned it earlier in this thread: Marcy is wonderful!

I would recommend staying with a student host the night before the interview. I stayed with three students who lived together in an apartment and they were amazing! They gave me a tour of providence and hosted me for dinner.

Best of luck to everyone this cycle :)
I appreciate the feedback! If anyone else has any feedback or advice on the interview I’d love to hear it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Heck of a school!

• Haha
1 month and 3 days until we hear back!!! but who's counting :nod:

Reactions: 3 users
Withdrew II today! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 7 users
You withdrew an ii from brown ? Whyyyy
Got an unexpected A from a top choice, decided to save on plane tickets. Interviewing is expensive, and I’m broke lol

Reactions: 4 users
Hi. Does anyone know the policy on sending updates?

Received a R today as well. Complete 8/7

R today pre-II .. about 30 minutes later II from top choice ain’t even mad bro. Good luck to those still in it!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 9 users
This school was already my top choice coming into the cycle, but the interview day just further confirmed it to me. It would be an absolute dream to attend here. I don’t think I can wait until November 19 :laugh:. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
So Brown has two, half hour interviews. For those who have interviewed already, I was wondering if you interviewed with an admissions member + a student, or if it was two members of the admissions committee? Thanks!

Just rejected pre II- pretty upset, I lasted until December in a previous application cycle. Good luck all!

Just rejected pre II- pretty upset, I lasted until December in a previous application cycle. Good luck all!
Sorry to hear that. Best wishes for the rest of the cycle! Mind sharing when you were complete?

got my first R pre-ii not surprised lmao. complete early september

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rejection pre II
not surprised but I did hope. Good luck to everyone else!

So Brown has two, half hour interviews. For those who have interviewed already, I was wondering if you interviewed with an admissions member + a student, or if it was two members of the admissions committee? Thanks!
My interview was with 2 faculty members- but I'm not sure about all the others!

I had a student and a faculty member! i think it varies based on who is available

People who got pre II Rs --- was it via email or portal?

Reactions: 3 users