***2018-2019 URM Medical School Application Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would an early August Mcat be considered too late? I just received my score (500) and I am very disappointed.
I’m sorry to here that. Chin up and knock it out next time!

Per gonnif:
“-Submitting Primary Application June is Early, July Medium, August Late
-Having Primary verified and transmitted to school by end of August is normal speed”

You can indicate a future test date on your AMCAS, and still be verified without it. However, an early August MCAT would leave you with an early September test score, which I would be late for their consideration. Considering this, a July test date would be better, only if you are confident by then - do not go forward with a retake until you are confident.

AACOMAS on the other hand runs a longer cycle, and an August test date would not put you at a disadvantage.

Feel free to reach out with any MCAT questions as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Would an early August Mcat be considered too late? I just received my score (500) and I am very disappointed.

Yes, anything later than July is too late for this cycle. Unless you are sure you can do better (ideally 7+ points better) by July, I would recommend sitting out this cycle. Rushing to retake will only hurt you while waiting a cycle gives you a chance to beef up EC's and figure out what went wrong with the test.

Thanks for the advice! I know I can do better. I just need to reevaluate my MCAT studying and reduce the number of hours I work before retaking it again during the winter/spring. Right now, I am just going to eat ice cream and watch Netflix. Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice! I know I can do better. I just need to reevaluate my MCAT studying and reduce the number of hours I work before retaking it again during the winter/spring. Right now, I am just going to eat ice cream and watch Netflix. Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!!

Good choice! I really recommend ExamKrackers + 100 page Khan academy psych/soc review for content review and some practice questions at the end of every chapter and then just use all the AAMC stuff for practice questions about a month out from your test. I and several of my other friends have gotten good scores from this method.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys! When I applied (the 2017-2018 cycle), my goal was not only to get in but to also get a full scholarship to med school. If I had a dime for everyone who said it wasn’t possible, but God...

Since you guys are just starting your application I want you guys to know 1) it’s possible 2) how I did it...
My two main resources (other than MSAR) were MDApplicants & SDN to see where students had gotten full scholarships in the past and I used that to tailor my list

I wanted to share schools who offered my friends and I merit-based scholarships these last two cycles to spread the wealth... so that (if you are in the schools stats range) you can consider them as you come up with your list

Full tuition- UConn, OUWB, USC (in state), Wake Forest, FIU (in state), George Washington, MUSC (in state), Wash U, UAB (IS), UCLA (2 of these schools offered stipends on top of full tuition)

>50 % : FSU (IS), Louisville (OOS), Miami (IS), UCF ( IS)

Our MCAT scores range from (508-518). The 508 in our group got accepted to places that the 518 didn’t, so remember your application is more than your MCAT score (although it is important- other factors play a role) and every school is looking for different things in students.

Also, don’t be afraid to make sacrifices. I didn’t work while I studied for the MCAT so that I could get a solid score that I hoped would translate into a full tuition scholarship. I also interviewed at a lot of places ( a lot of people stop interviewing once they get accepted to their top school, but that wasn’t my goal so I kept going)... it was exhausting and costly, but the investment was nothing in comparison to the results.

It’s a long, exhausting, unpredictable cycle, but what brought me through was remembering what I was working towards and remembering that God is on the throne.

Proverbs 3:5, you guys, proverbs 3:5

Wishing you all a successful cycle!

Reactions: 16 users
Hey guys! When I applied (the 2017-2018 cycle), my goal was not only to get in but to also get a full scholarship to med school. If I had a dime for everyone who said it wasn’t possible, but God...

Since you guys are just starting your application I want you guys to know 1) it’s possible 2) how I did it...
My two main resources (other than MSAR) were MDApplicants & SDN to see where students had gotten full scholarships in the past and I used that to tailor my list

I wanted to share schools who offered my friends and I merit-based scholarships these last two cycles to spread the wealth... so that (if you are in the schools stats range) you can consider them as you come up with your list

Full tuition- UConn, OUWB, USC (in state), Wake Forest, FIU (in state), George Washington, MUSC (in state), Wash U, UAB (IS), UCLA (2 of these schools offered stipends on top of full tuition)

Our MCAT scores range from (508-518). The 508 in our group got accepted to places that the 518 didn’t, so remember your application is more than your MCAT score (although it is important- other factors play a role) and every school is looking for different things in students.

Also, don’t be afraid to make sacrifices. I didn’t work while I studied for the MCAT so that I could get a solid score that I hoped would translate into a full tuition scholarship. I also interviewed at a lot of places ( a lot of people stop interviewing once they get accepted to their top school, but that wasn’t my goal so I kept going)... it was exhausting and costly, but the investment was nothing in comparison to the results.

It’s a long, exhausting, unpredictable cycle, but what brought me through was remembering what I was working towards and remembering that God is on the throne.

I'll add to that: the TX schools are also good for this (in state, TTUHSC, UT Southwestern, UT San Antonio, etc.), as well as Northwestern.

It is definitely possible!

I'll add as well. I received 75% tuition from UChicago and know several people who received 100%.

I will caution people and say that you shouldn't create your entire school list around receiving a scholarship, but if you're competitive at a school known for giving money then all the power to you!

Hi everyone! Glad to finally be able to start this process!

AA Female
1st generation U.S. Citizen
Major: Chemical Engineering
Minor: Spanish (not quite "fluent," but very conversational)
cGPA: 3.63 sGPA: 3.57
MCAT: 512 (was kind of disappointed, last practice test was a 516)
ECs:
Research for 3 years in a non-biomedical lab (wasn't pre-med until junior year) w 2 poster presentations, no pubs
About 120 hours tutoring ESL students at an inner-city elementary school
Miscellaneous volunteering throughout college
Summer internship at a major biomedical engineering company
Medical mission to Nicaragua
Shadowing internal medicine and Pediatrics (aspiring Pediatrician)
Handful of leadership positions in student orgs
Waited tables for a summer

LORs should be strong and personal apart from one, as I attend a large state school.
Well-written personal statement

Schools I'm for sure applying to:

Emory
Vanderbilt
UTHSC (Tennessee resident)
East Tennessee State
UA-Birmingham
Boston University
Morehouse
Howard
UCSF (family ties)
U Pittsburgh
Saint Louis University

Others I'm considering:
USC
Wake Forest
U Chicago
Northwestern
Wash U
Temple
Jefferson
Dartmouth
Mayo
Tulane
Miami-Miller
Tufts
Brown
Hofstra
Drexel
Others

Emory has been my dream for a long time now, so I was rather disappointed by my MCAT score as I was hoping for a 515+. Still thankful for 86th percentile though. Right, now I'm conflicted as to how many mid/low tiers to apply to. I don't know whether to shoot my shot at prestigious schools such as Wash U or U Chicago even though I know some people on this website have had success and even scholarships at those schools. I also plan on using the FAP, so I want to keep the number of schools I apply to at around 20. Realistically, how many "low-tiers" should I apply to?

My priorities are:
Clinic-heavy curriculum as opposed to research heavy
Potential for scholarships and financial aid
P/F Curriculum (ideally)
Make community outreach a part of the curriculum
Good location-reasonable cost of living, opportunities to meet young people outside of medical school

Any feedback would be appreciated! Sorry for the massive write-up, I look forward to hearing from you all! :)

Last edited:

AA Female
ECs:
Research for 3 years in a non-biomedical lab (wasn't pre-med until junior year) w 2 poster presentations, no pubs

LORs should be strong and personal apart from one, as I attend a large state school.

Emory
Vanderbilt
East Tennessee State
UA-Birmingham
Boston University
Morehouse
Howard
UCSF (family ties)
U Pittsburgh
Saint Louis University

Others I'm considering:
USC
Wake Forest
U Chicago
Northwestern
Wash U
Temple
Jefferson
Dartmouth
Mayo
Tulane
Miami-Miller
Tufts
Brown
Hofstra
Drexel
Others

Emory has been my dream for a long time now, so I was rather disappointed by my MCAT score as I was hoping for a 515+. Still thankful for 86th percentile though. Right, now I'm conflicted as to how many mid/low tiers to apply to. I don't know whether to shoot my shot at prestigious schools such as Wash U or U Chicago even though I know some people on this website have had success and even scholarships at those schools. I also plan on using the FAP, so I want to keep the number of schools I apply to at around 20. Realistically, how many "low-tiers" should I apply to?

My priorities are:
P/F Curriculum (ideally)
Good location-reasonable cost of living, opportunities to meet young people outside of medical school

Any feedback would be appreciated! Sorry for the massive write-up, I look forward to hearing from you all! :)
I would definitely shoot your shot - don't sell yourself short. Your stats will get you a lot of attention and the conversational Spanish is a good plus. My only concern is if you have any US-based clinical experience (aside from shadowing). The only clinical volunteering I see above is the medical trip to Nicaragua, which can sometimes be controversial (see 'voluntourism').

PS: Roll Tide!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

AA Female
ECs:

Emory
Vanderbilt
East Tennessee State
UA-Birmingham
Boston University
Morehouse
Howard
UCSF (family ties)
U Pittsburgh
Saint Louis University

Others I'm considering:
USC
Wake Forest
U Chicago
Northwestern
Wash U
Temple
Jefferson
Dartmouth
Mayo
Tulane
Miami-Miller
Tufts
Brown
Hofstra
Drexel
Others

My priorities are:
P/F Curriculum (ideally)

Your app is great. No one will care that your research is in Chem E and not medical related, you might even get some extra attention because of that. With medical missions - you have to really talk about what you learned from your experience and stress that it was not medical tourism and you didn't do anything you couldn't do in the US. I talked about how I was able to basically shadow a doctor for 60 hours, practice my Spanish, and do some scribing. I also stressed that the group I went with is a very established group with deep ties to the community - so make sure you know the organization you went with.

Definitely apply to USC, UChicago, Northwestern, Jefferson (and SLU, but that's on your list) - I got into all of these and we have virtually identical stats and your MCAT is 2 points higher than mine. I'd also add WashU as I got an interview there, I just applied super late and got waitlisted. I'd honestly add more reaches. Add some Ivies, I think my MCAT is what kept me from being interviewed so your 512, might get a little attention. You might even get some extra love since you're a Chem E and had a good GPA for that major. You will have an amazing cycle, so just make sure to put as much effort into your activities and personal statement as possible and the sky is the limit. Feel free to PM me if you get interview from any of the schools I mentioned, especially UChicago as I am matriculating there and would be happy to meet on/the day before your interview (This really goes for anyone who ends up getting an interview as UChicago).

Reactions: 4 users
I would definitely shoot your shot - don't sell yourself short. Your stats will get you a lot of attention and the conversational Spanish is a good plus. My only concern is if you have any US-based clinical experience (aside from shadowing). The only clinical volunteering I see above is the medical trip to Nicaragua, which can sometimes be controversial (see 'voluntourism').

PS: Roll Tide!

Thanks for the feedback! I'm definitely aware of the voluntourism stigma, so I'll make it a point to point out that the organization we worked with there is based in the country and does ongoing projects. My lack of clinical experience will definitely be the biggest red flag. Since I switched to pre med rather late, I didn't have much time. I thought about doing some hospice volunteering this past semester, but with 18 credit hours+MCAT studying I honestly had no free time. My engineering internship will be something that I'm sure most applicants won't have, and there were some "clinical" aspects to it (clinical trials, physician training etc) so hopefully that counts for something!
Your app is great. No one will care that your research is in Chem E and not medical related, you might even get some extra attention because of that. With medical missions - you have to really talk about what you learned from your experience and stress that it was not medical tourism and you didn't do anything you couldn't do in the US. I talked about how I was able to basically shadow a doctor for 60 hours, practice my Spanish, and do some scribing. I also stressed that the group I went with is a very established group with deep ties to the community - so make sure you know the organization you went with.

Definitely apply to USC, UChicago, Northwestern, Jefferson (and SLU, but that's on your list) - I got into all of these and we have virtually identical stats and your MCAT is 2 points higher than mine. I'd also add WashU as I got an interview there, I just applied super late and got waitlisted. I'd honestly add more reaches. Add some Ivies, I think my MCAT is what kept me from being interviewed so your 512, might get a little attention. You might even get some extra love since you're a Chem E and had a good GPA for that major. You will have an amazing cycle, so just make sure to put as much effort into your activities and personal statement as possible and the sky is the limit. Feel free to PM me if you get interview from any of the schools I mentioned, especially UChicago as I am matriculating there and would be happy to meet on/the day before your interview (This really goes for anyone who ends up getting an interview as UChicago).

Thanks for your feedback! My application is all ready to go, so hopefully I get approved for the FAP and can just hit the submit button come June 1st. I'm definitely going to address my medical mission as more of a learning experience as opposed to the patronizing "We changed their lives!!" How late did you apply to WashU? And that's so exciting that you're going to UChicago! What things about it have stood out to you so far?

Thanks for your feedback! My application is all ready to go, so hopefully I get approved for the FAP and can just hit the submit button come June 1st. I'm definitely going to address my medical mission as more of a learning experience as opposed to the patronizing "We changed their lives!!" How late did you apply to WashU? And that's so exciting that you're going to UChicago! What things about it have stood out to you so far?

I also got the FAP, so once all your stuff is in it doesn't take too long to get approved. I submitted to WashU on Oct 7. It wasn't originally on my list because I didn't think I had a chance and didn't really have a reason to apply, but I got a recruitment email from them and the secondary was free so I said why not. Didn't get the invite until like the end of January and interviewed in February. We all pretty much knew we were interviewing for the waitlist.

I just loved everything about UChicago from the second I got to my host's apartment. They couldn't speak higher of Pritkzer. Interview day was amazing too. I loved the emphasis that Pritzker puts on community. Last years class also has like 22 black people out of 88, which absolutely crazy for such a highly ranked school. It's pass/fail, there's like no competition, you have to do research (which I like), and you're just supported in every way.

You'll know which school you want to go to by the end of your application cycle. Jefferson was my favorite all the way through until I got to UChicago. Just go into the process with the things you care about and pay attention to who is around on interview day. You want to have an administration that has women and PoC in positions of authority. Just make sure to pay attention and try to have fun on interview days and it won't be stressful.

Hey Guys!

I'm 23 years old, African American. I'm super excited and anxious to get started with this process.

My Stats:
GPA: 3.55(strong upward trend) except my last semester ( personal issues)
sGPA: I don't know actually but I would say around a 3.3

MCAT: 508 (first try) Recent retake (comes out in a month)

Extra Experience:
EMT (3 years)
100 hours of shadowing (all departments loved ER)
Cardiovascular Research at Vanderbilt (Never Published, Although did get some cool posters so that is pretty neat) about 1500 hrs
Fitness Trainer During College (2 years), more free lance working out now
Work in a Pulmonary and Critical Care office
Currently at an Urgent Care as Scribe (awesome letters of rec all M.D.s)
(300+ volunteer work at St. Luke University Hospital)
Speak Spanish (went to Costa Rica for 3 months and lived in spain for a year when I was 15)

I wanna wish everyone luck this coming cycle. Also would greatly appreciate some help on a school list and just any feedback.
I'm from NYC by the way. Thank you!

OH I would love to go to OHiO state if you couldn't tell!
511 mcat on retake!

Members don't see this ad :)
What changes did you make in your study plan for your MCAT retake?

1. I'm not in school anymore, so did not have competing priorities.
  2. I focused on practice problems. I personally think that doing too much content review messed me up. I was so focused on learning the content that I did not take the time to learn how to actually take the test. Doing practice problems will help you understand your weaknesses and give you something to focus on. I used EK 1001 passages. They were SSSOOO hard but definitely prepared me for the real thing. I also used all of the AMCAS materials except one of the practice tests.
  3. I focused on my problem sections. I barely studied CARS ans Psych/Soc because I was a philosophy minor and had recently taken a psych course. I basically just did a lot of practice passages for these sections and used those to gauge what I needed to refresh my memory on.
  4. I also did practice tests every two weeks and then every week as I got closer to the test date. I kept a journal of every detail that I got wrong and referred to that at least 3 times a week. I also put things I got wrong in practice passages on the tests.
  5. Anki cards. I am not very good at memorizing, so flashcards helped a ton.
I hope that helps!

Reactions: 5 users
Does being above the median MCAT+URM=opportunity for scholarships?

Does being above the median MCAT+URM=opportunity for scholarships?
Scholarships are often used to recruit people that will otherwise matriculate elsewhere. This could be high scores/grades, but it could also be other characteristics of your application such as EC, fitting the schools mission, etc.

Scholarships are often used to recruit people that will otherwise matriculate elsewhere. This could be high scores/grades, but it could also be other characteristics of your application such as EC, fitting the schools mission, etc.

So out of about ~20 schools, how many schools with a median MCAT below my score would you suggest applying to?

Hi,

3.86 GPA ~3.95sGPA
503 MCAT
AA male
Advanced chemistry major
Chemistry lab instruction and research - 2. 5 years
Intermittent volunteering and shadowing
Applying MD

Are there any schools that I ought to apply to as safe schools?

Thanks!

Hi everyone! Excited to finally start this process and good luck to everyone!

Mexican, 1st Gen, CA resident
3.7 GPA/3.65 science
MCAT 506 and retake to 515
2500+ hrs research experience, submitting 3 manuscripts this year as a middle author
200 Hours clinical/non-clinical volunteering (nursing home, hospital volunteer, healthcare for the homeless)
100-400 hrs shadowing (depending if research shadowing hours are double counted)
LORs should be good
Leadership experience is lacking and other ECs are avg

Any thoughts on schools outside of California to apply to? Specifically on schools in Boston, Chicago, NYC, and Philadelphia areas.

Thanks!!

Submitting today once I finally get done obsessively looking for typos. Good luck everybody!

Incoming MS1 at Johns Hopkins this fall! Feel free to PM me for advice!

Just submitted!! Lets GET IT GUYS!

Reactions: 9 users
Submitted yesterday morning! We got this!

Reactions: 5 users
Hey everybody. I am new to SDN and looking to get some advice on whether or not I should apply this year or delay to next years cycle.

I just graduated this past may. Here are my stats:
Major: Biochemistry w/ honors concentration
Minor: Mathematics
Overall GPA: 3.44
Scien. GPA: (same as overall)

Gen. chem : A, B
Orgo 1,2: B, B
Analytical chem: B+
Gen Bio: A-, C
Genetic.:A
Physics: B,B+
Molecular Bio: C+
Calc.1, Cacl.2, Calc.3: A,A,A
Biomed stats, Discrete: A,B+
Mostly A/B+'s in humanities

Extra Curr.'s :
Student Government (12-15 hrs week) Class e board and Executive council, Research with Biochemistry professor at school (3 semesters) also presented at regional drosophilia conference with this research past April, 50+ hrs community service, Resident Assistant (RA) for 1 year, TA for Gen chem for 1 semester due to class conflict couldn't continue. 50+ hrs of shadowing, 100+ volunteering at hospital through Mentoring in Medicine.

I am registered to take the MCAT August 10 and will get my scores back around Sept.11 I believe. I just started studying to take it giving myself about 2 months to prepare.

I want to know: 1)What do my chances look like at getting into either MD or DO schools?
2) Would it be a smart move applying now or waiting until the next cycle when I can apply as quickly as possible?

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-4_10-40-10.png
    upload_2018-6-4_10-40-10.png
    151.4 KB · Views: 81
Hey everybody. I am new to SDN and looking to get some advice on whether or not I should apply this year or delay to next years cycle.

I just graduated this past may. Here are my stats:
Major: Biochemistry w/ honors concentration
Minor: Mathematics
Overall GPA: 3.44
Scien. GPA: (same as overall)

Gen. chem : A, B
Orgo 1,2: B, B
Analytical chem: B+
Gen Bio: A-, C
Genetic.:A
Physics: B,B+
Molecular Bio: C+
Calc.1, Cacl.2, Calc.3: A,A,A
Biomed stats, Discrete: A,B+
Mostly A/B+'s in humanities

Extra Curr.'s :
Student Government (12-15 hrs week) Class e board and Executive council, Research with Biochemistry professor at school (3 semesters) also presented at regional drosophilia conference with this research past April, 50+ hrs community service, Resident Assistant (RA) for 1 year, TA for Gen chem for 1 semester due to class conflict couldn't continue. 50+ hrs of shadowing, 100+ volunteering at hospital through Mentoring in Medicine.

I am registered to take the MCAT August 10 and will get my scores back around Sept.11 I believe. I just started studying to take it giving myself about 2 months to prepare.

I want to know: 1)What do my chances look like at getting into either MD or DO schools?
2) Would it be a smart move applying now or waiting until the next cycle when I can apply as quickly as possible?

Thanks so much!

You should definitely wait until next cycle to apply. You wouldn't have secondaries submitted until mid September at the earliest and that is putting you way behind everyone else. I would spend the summer really studying for the MCAT, so you can knock it out of the park. A 508+ would really help you out. I would also get some more volunteer hours and clinical hours in the time after your MCAT and before you submit for the next cycle. If you take the time to make sure you rock the MCAT and get a few more hours then you'll be perfect for the next cycle.

Hey hey hey everyone,

24 y/o Mexican-American Male. Major: Public Health B.S.
  1. 3.34 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA - strong upward trend; last two years sGPA ~3.7
  2. 510 (127,128,128,127)
  3. Clinical Experience: Scribing/shadowing/logistical support in hospital: 1500 hours
  4. Research: 2 years full-time (including independent projects to elucidate health disparities globally/locally); currently in pretty prestigious fellowship (youngest ever to be awarded) - name not given for anonymity :)
  5. Non-clinical volunteering: Here and there.
  6. Other extracurricular activities: Worked full-time through college as an assistant director of a non-profit.
I feel like my application is all over the place. I have literally no idea where to apply. I am leaning towards MD just because I hope to enter academic medicine someday, but I am still open to DO. I've been told everything between not to apply this round and apply to Harvard...needless to say, I'm real lost on how to gauge my application.

Opinions? Suggestions? WAMC? Would be greatly appreciated!

Your MCAT is good. You're GPA is a little low but you'll probably get some invites if you apply broadly to both MD and DO. Your hours are great and being the assistant director of a non-profit will look great. Depending on what your research fellowship actually is (Fulbright level or higher) then that might give you an additional boost, regardless having research is a plus. I'd look at your LizzyM score and to WedgeDawg's analysis and see what type of schools they point you towards. Definitely apply to your state schools, HBCU's, and alma mater if they have a medical school. Temple, Jefferson, NYMC, Saint Louis, Miami will probably be good bets for you. And other schools around that level. And throw in some reaches because of your MCAT and fellowship. I'd also post on the WAMC forum with a skeleton list and tag Goro and/or LizzyM for some good advice.

Hey y’all, already submitted but worried. I keep having doubts and would appreciate some honest feedback on my chances at these schools, keep getting intimidated by looking at MSAR. My top schools are anything in CA.

Latino (Mexican), Male, traditional applicant with a gap year, first generation college grad, CA resident.
Major: Biology @ Mid tier UC School
cGPA: 3.79
sGPA: 3.76
MCAT: 510
Extracurriculars: *Most Meaningful
- College community service club(900 hrs)*: Member for 4 years and held 3 leadership positions including presidency. Huge club with over 200 members.
- Student run free clinic (500 hrs)*;
Volunteered for 3 yrs. Spanish translator, patient educator, and appointed board member for a committee overseeing the clinic’s patient education program and planning volunteer events.
- Mentorship program for first-gen college students (600hrs)*: Was mentored by grad students and served as mentor to underclassman for 3 years, involved for 4 years total. Was part of program since it was a pilot study.
- Stem cell research (600 hrs): Only did bench research for about 9 months in my 2nd yr of college, eventually quit because I figured out I did not want a PhD. No presentations, posters, or publications.
- Clinical research training program at UCSF (100hrs): Took a grad level course in designing clinical research studies and helped my med student mentor create a study protocol.
-Latino pre-med club (150 hrs): Involved for about 2 years, just as a general member. Was part of LMSA mentorship program and got to check out the cadaver lab. Volunteered tutoring kids in underserved neighborhood.

LORs are pretty good, I got 2 from professors (1 Sci, 1 non-Sci) that knew me somewhat well (my final class project became a part of an exhibition for my non-Sci prof) and I got 1 from admin at grad department that oversees my mentorship program (knew me very well and got to see me progress through all 4 years of college) and 1 from the prof at UCSF that ran the clinical research training program (we only had 2 months to hang out).

School List:
  1. UC Irvine (PRIME-LC)
  2. UCSF (PRIME-US)
  3. UCSD (PRIME-HEq)
  4. UCLA (UCLA PRIME-LA)
  5. UCLA/Drew Medical Education Program
  6. UCR
  7. UC Davis (PRIME Rural)
  8. USC
  9. Dartmouth
  10. Drexel
  11. Thomas Jefferson University
  12. Penn State
  13. George Washington University
  14. Rush Medical College
  15. Tulane
  16. Brown
  17. Wayne State
  18. Albert Einstein College of Medicine

Hey y’all, already submitted but worried. I keep having doubts and would appreciate some honest feedback on my chances at these schools, keep getting intimidated by looking at MSAR. My top schools are anything in CA.

Latino (Mexican), Male, traditional applicant with a gap year, first generation college grad, CA resident.
- College community service club(900 hrs)*: Member for 4 years and held 3 leadership positions including presidency. Huge club with over 200 members.
Volunteered for 3 yrs. Spanish translator, patient educator, and appointed board member for a committee overseeing the clinic’s patient education program and planning volunteer events.
- Mentorship program for first-gen college students (600hrs)*: Was mentored by grad students and served as mentor to underclassman for 3 years, involved for 4 years total. Was part of program since it was a pilot study.
- Stem cell research (600 hrs): Only did bench research for about 9 months in my 2nd yr of college, eventually quit because I figured out I did not want a PhD. No presentations, posters, or publications.
- Clinical research training program at UCSF (100hrs): Took a grad level course in designing clinical research studies and helped my med student mentor create a study protocol.
-Latino pre-med club (150 hrs): Involved for about 2 years, just as a general member. Was part of LMSA mentorship program and got to check out the cadaver lab. Volunteered tutoring kids in underserved neighborhood.

LORs are pretty good, I got 2 from professors (1 Sci, 1 non-Sci) that knew me somewhat well (my final class project became a part of an exhibition for my non-Sci prof) and I got 1 from admin at grad department that oversees my mentorship program (knew me very well and got to see me progress through all 4 years of college) and 1 from the prof at UCSF that ran the clinical research training program (we only had 2 months to hang out).

School List:
  1. UC Irvine (PRIME-LC)
  2. UCSF (PRIME-US)
  3. UCSD (PRIME-HEq)
  4. UCLA (UCLA PRIME-LA)
  6. UCR
  8. USC
  9. Dartmouth
  10. Drexel
  12. Penn State
  14. Rush Medical College
  15. Tulane
  16. Brown
  17. Wayne State
From what I'm reading you're a rockstar, I would say add 2 more schools because 18 is a weird number and because CA is a very competitive state look at Beaumont in Michigan and the schools in Illinois rosalind franklin might be a good addition also.

School List:
  1. UC Irvine (PRIME-LC)
  2. UCSF (PRIME-US)
  3. UCSD (PRIME-HEq)
  4. UCLA (UCLA PRIME-LA)
  6. UCR
  8. USC
  9. Dartmouth
  10. Drexel
  12. Penn State
  14. Rush Medical College
  15. Tulane
  16. Brown
  17. Wayne State

You definitely have the stats and great EC's to get some acceptances. Your research is definitely a little light and I'm not sure how the class will look. I took a research class, but we did a poster presentation so I only really talked about the presentation. Just be able to explain what your research project was in the lab even though you never presented or published anything. The clinical research class is a great opportunity for you to show that you're still interested in research for some of the more research heavy schools UCLA/USCF. Overall, I'd say make sure your interview skills are polished!

Hi everyone,

I would like some suggestions based on my stats. However, I should note that I am URM only at some specific schools (pacific islander), first generation university student

CA resident
3.75 gpa (last 2 years 3.95/3.93 with 33+ credit hours for each year)
515 mcat (125 CARS)
hundreds of hours (400+ each) in research, work experience, leadership roles, working with minority groups (disabilities, impoverished, LGBTQ+), 1 poster presentation and 1 first author publication that I will have to update schools for.

Last edited:
What would be the correct box to check for someone born in the United States to Nigerian parents? I checked both "African" and "African American" because I definitely do identify with and fully claim my African heritage, but I've been thinking about it and I'm like...well damn lol. Is the "African" box only reserved for students applying internationally?

What would be the correct box to check for someone born in the United States to Nigerian parents? I checked both "African" and "African American" because I definitely do identify with and fully claim my African heritage, but I've been thinking about it and I'm like...well damn lol. Is the "African" box only reserved for students applying internationally?

No, African isn't just reserved for international students. You said you identify with your African heritage, do you also identify as African American? I feel that they're two distinct different cultures. If you identify as African American, then check that too. If not, up to you whether you check it or not. Regardless, black doctors are in need and I'm not sure whether you checked AA matters.

I also checked African and African American because I felt that best described my ethnicity having Nigerian parents but being an American citizen. It never came up in interviews or anything, but I liked having the option.

Reactions: 2 users
No, African isn't just reserved for international students. You said you identify with your African heritage, do you also identify as African American? I feel that they're two distinct different cultures. If you identify as African American, then check that too. If not, up to you whether you check it or not. Regardless, black doctors are in need and I'm not sure whether you checked AA matters.
As far as AA goes, for me it's less about identifying and more about the fact the fact that by definition that's what I am haha

I also checked African and African American because I felt that best described my ethnicity having Nigerian parents but being an American citizen. It never came up in interviews or anything, but I liked having the option.
That's how I feel as well. Although my home life was probably different than the average African American's I think we all had the same experience of growing up black in a predominantly white nation.

Hi everyone,

I would like some suggestions based on my stats. However, I should note that I am URM only at some specific schools (pacific islander), first generation university student

CA resident
3.75 gpa (last 2 years 3.95/3.93 with 33+ credit hours for each year)
515 mcat (125 CARS)
hundreds of hours (400+ each) in research, work experience, leadership roles, working with minority groups (disabilities, impoverished, LGBTQ+), 1 poster presentation and 1 first author publication that I will have to update schools for.

I think you have a great MCAT, even with the 125 in CARS but I would be able to talk about/explain it just in case it comes up. I'd apply broadly around the US due to being from CA but I think your stats are great and will make many schools look at your app. SLU and the Philly triplets seem to really like CA students; I'd also consider Chicago, and any other major-city or top schools. It does not hurt to apply safe, but you have great stats in my opinion. Don't sell yourself short.

As far as your hours, I'm not sure how the 400+ is spread out but make sure you have done clinical and non-clinical volunteering to give yourself the best chances and make sure that you have some clinical experience (clinical volunteering + shadowing) to show your interest in medicine and not just science or community service. I'm not sure how many you should aim for; my stats were much lower than yours but I had hundreds of volunteer hours (clinical & non-clinical), months worth of clinical work experience, and years of research experience to balance it out. I think you could get away with ~100 hours of clinical experience and 20-50 of shadowing. This doesn't sound like a lot to me, but feel free to correct me anyone :) Overall, I think you have great chances especially if you can make your app into an overall story (first generation, journey to medicine, etc.) and promote yourself well. Even if you don't, I think you're at least in the running at most places.

So I got the email today that I was approved for FAP. One less burden to have to deal with during this process! :banana:

So I got the email today that I was approved for FAP. One less burden to have to deal with during this process! :banana:

Congrats! There's no way I could've afforded my primaries + secondaries without it. Also if you didn't know, almost every school also waves their secondary for anyone who has FAP. So, if you want to apply to more schools beyond the 16 all you have to do is pay for the primary.

Congrats! There's no way I could've afforded my primaries + secondaries without it. Also if you didn't know, almost every school also waves their secondary for anyone who has FAP. So, if you want to apply to more schools beyond the 16 all you have to do is pay for the primary.
Yeah, that's what I have heard. Hope these schools don't change their policies this year. Also, found out while looking through my app, that my county is considered medically underserved. Never knew that. Do schools take that into consideration at all?

Yeah, that's what I have heard. Hope these schools don't change their policies this year. Also, found out while looking through my app, that my county is considered medically underserved. Never knew that. Do schools take that into consideration at all?

Adcoms probably won't know that off the bat unless its a well known medically underserved country. You could talk about it in adversity essays if it actually affected you growing up or if you want to go there and practice you can talk about that when they ask what type doctor you want to be during interviews.

Adcoms probably won't know that off the bat unless its a well known medically underserved country. You could talk about it in adversity essays if it actually affected you growing up or if you want to go there and practice you can talk about that when they ask what type doctor you want to be during interviews.

Hmm, I never realized we were underserved. I know my family did struggle to keep health insurance growing up (mentioned that as part of my PS because I have had major surgery before). Honestly, looking into leaving my home state longterm if possible, so don't see myself practicing here. Idk thanks for the advice though.

Hey everyone! I've been a long time lurker on SDN (mostly), but I'm finally applying this cycle, so I thought I'd join in here first!

About Me:
black female CA resident. economically disadvantaged (bc childhood), but didn't qualify for FAP. Submitted 05/31, verified 06/04. 3.12 cGPA, 3.03 sGPA; Includes 30 units of 4.0 postbacc GPA.

MCAT: 512 (128 125 130 129)

Clinical Experience (3400+ hours): 3000+ hours as a clinical research coordinator, 200 hours as a scribe, 250 hours (volunteer) providing blood pressure/BMI screenings in multiple clubs.

Volunteering (~1700 hours total, 1200 non clinical, 500 clinical): 600 hours as lead director for volunteer org addressing hypertension in black/underserved minority communities, 200 hours as a volunteer "social worker", 250 hours in a free clinic, 200 hours kidney health education/outreach, 100 volunteering with community public health organization for black women, 50 hours preparing/distributing food to the homeless w/ organization

Research (Aside from the clinical research above; 500 hours): 250 hours research assistant in a neurology lab, 250 hours research assistant in geriatrics

4 research posters total, 2 first author + presentation. 2 other posters co-authored.

Teaching: 250 hours in an internship in Japan

Other Leadership (outside of volunteering): - 700 hours as a dance team captain. Fun, but tanked my GPA. Should've dropped sooner.

Shadowing: - 500 total hours shadowing various specialties.

LORs/Other Stuff: - Very strong LOR packet, Chancellor's Service Award from undergrad, "good" level fluency in Japanese, "basic" level fluency in Tagalog/Filipino.

GAP YEAR PLANS: clinical research coordinator position full-time + more upper level science courses & Spanish (community college)

Mostly interested in/applying to schools offering MD/MPH programs (public health minor) + clinical research.

School list right now:
All UCs, all HBCUs, Vandy, Mayo, USC Keck, Tulane, UAZCOM Phoenix, U Cincinnati, Creighton, Rush, Dartmouth, Georgetown, George Washington, Loyola, U Rochester, SLU, Drexel, Rosy F, NYMC, Tufts, Hofstra, Duke, Columbia, U Chicago, Cornell, Harvard, Pitt, U Miami, JHU, Case Western, Jefferson (~40 schools total).

Sorry for the wall of text lol. I'm kinda worried about having so many top schools on the list with such a low GPA, but was advised to add them by a few people. Definitely open to any comments on school list + cycle experiences! Best wishes for everyone!

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I've been a long time lurker on SDN (mostly), but I'm finally applying this cycle, so I thought I'd join in here first!

About Me:
black female CA resident. economically disadvantaged (bc childhood), but didn't qualify for FAP. Submitted 05/31, verified 06/04. 3.12 cGPA, 3.03 sGPA; Includes 30 units of 4.0 postbacc GPA.

MCAT: 512 (128 125 130 129); don't know what happened with CARS, I always scored between 128-130 on practice...

Clinical Experience (3400+ hours): 3000+ hours as a clinical research coordinator in nephrology, 200 hours as an OB/GYN scribe (paid), 250 hours (volunteer) providing blood pressure/BMI screenings in multiple clubs.

Volunteering (~1700 hours total, 1200 non clinical, 500 clinical): 600 hours as lead director for volunteer org addressing hypertension in black/underserved minority communities, 200 hours as a volunteer "social worker", 250 hours in a free clinic, 200 hours kidney health education/outreach, 100 volunteering with community public health organization for black women, 50 hours preparing/distributing food to the homeless w/ organization

Research (Aside from the clinical research above; 500 hours): 250 hours research assistant in a neurology lab, 250 hours research assistant in geriatrics

4 research posters total, 2 first author + presentation. 2 other posters co-authored.

Teaching: 250 hours in an internship in Japan for an "Empowerment Program" for Japanese high school students.

Other Leadership (outside of volunteering): - 700 hours as captain on a dance team on campus. Fun, but tanked my GPA. Should've dropped sooner.

Shadowing: - 500 total hours shadowing nephrologists, OB/GYNs, & resident pediatricians.

LORs/Other Stuff: - Very strong LOR packet, Chancellor's Service Award from undergrad, "Good" level fluency in Japanese (not of Japanese descent; CA State Seal of Biliteracy), "basic" level fluency in Tagalog/Filipino.

GAP YEAR PLANS: clinical research coordinator position full-time + more upper level science courses & Spanish (community college)

Mostly interested in/applying to schools offering MD/MPH programs (public health minor) + clinical research.

School list right now:
All UCs, all HBCUs, Vandy, Mayo, USC Keck, Tulane, UAZCOM Phoenix, U Cincinnati, Creighton, Rush, Dartmouth, Georgetown, George Washington, Loyola, U Rochester, SLU, Drexel, Rosy F, NYMC, Tufts, Hofstra, Duke, Columbia, U Chicago, Cornell, Harvard, Pitt, U Miami, JHU, Case Western, Jefferson (~40 schools total).

Sorry for the wall of text lol. I'm kinda worried about having so many top schools on the list with such a low GPA, but was advised to add them by a few people. Definitely open to any comments on school list + cycle experiences! Best wishes for everyone!

I think that you'll definitely get some attention from schools. You have some great EC's and a great MCAT. I'd make sure you have schools that reward reinvention on your list especially with your 4.0 post-bacc (Pretty sure Goro has a list somewhere if you look). I have to be honest though. The top 15's and Ivies (JHU, Havard, Columbia, Duke and a few more) that you have are probably a long shot - your undergrad GPA I think is just gonna take you out of the running for them, you never know though. But regardless, you'll definitely get attention somewhere. Make sure you focus the bulk of your energy on secondaries at schools that are realistic then do reaches. 40 schools is A LOT and if you start to get behind on secondaries you'll be lost before you know it. Good luck!!

I think that you'll definitely get some attention from schools. You have some great EC's and a great MCAT. I'd make sure you have schools that reward reinvention on your list especially with your 4.0 post-bacc (Pretty sure Goro has a list somewhere if you look). I have to be honest though. The top 15's and Ivies (JHU, Havard, Columbia, Duke and a few more) that you have are probably a long shot - your undergrad GPA I think is just gonna take you out of the running for them, you never know though. But regardless, you'll definitely get attention somewhere. Make sure you focus the bulk of your energy on secondaries at schools that are realistic then do reaches. 40 schools is A LOT and if you start to get behind on secondaries you'll be lost before you know it. Good luck!!

Thanks! Yeah, I've pre-written a lot of the common secondary prompts already and starting the more realistic school-specific ones today. I thought the same about those top 15s/Ivies, but Goro recommended them and I know I'll always wonder "what if" if I don't apply (even if that means a donation + rejection lol).