2018-2019 University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mandyads

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This space is designed for prospective candidates who are planning to apply for 2019 matriculation. Knowing stats, location and study/application plans would be awesome!

If you've had any experience with the school, staff or other students - please share that experience as well!

ABOUT ME:
I graduated in 2015 with a bachelor's in biology. I've had a very untraditional last two years, working a job in business and doing minimal to keep up with my medical aspirations (trying to survive).

I've done some post-undergraduate coursework, but my stats are roughly as follows: cGPA: 3.5+
sGPA: 3.6
smGPA: 3.4+
These do not consider the average of retaken courses. (Note: medical schools take the average of repeated courses and do not negate the first attempt)

Just a few extracurricular's, but nothing too impressive (about to start a medical scribe position in SATX). I need to do some shadowing with DOs once I move to Texas.

This will be my 3rd attempt at the MCAT since 2014, but my last practice exam was 495 (scary, I know). Planning to take the official exam in the 1st week of June and apply early July. UIWSOM is my top choice for a medical school!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
This space is designed for prospective candidates who are planning to apply for 2019 matriculation. Knowing stats, location and study/application plans would be awesome!

If you've had any experience with the school, staff or other students - please share that experience as well!

ABOUT ME:
I graduated in 2015 with a bachelor's in biology. I've had a very untraditional last two years, working a job in business and doing minimal to keep up with my medical aspirations (trying to survive).

I've done some post-undergraduate coursework, but my stats are roughly as follows: cGPA: 3.5+
sGPA: 3.6
smGPA: 3.4+
These do not consider the average of retaken courses. (Note: medical schools take the average of repeated courses and do not negate the first attempt)

Just a few extracurricular's, but nothing too impressive (about to start a medical scribe position in SATX). I need to do some shadowing with DOs once I move to Texas.

This will be my 3rd attempt at the MCAT since 2014, but my last practice exam was 495 (scary, I know). Planning to take the official exam in the 1st week of June and apply early July. UIWSOM is my top choice for a medical school!
Only take the MCAT once you are ready. If you are still scoring low on the practice exams before the real test, push back your testing date. Especially because this is your 3rd attempt. What were your first two scores?

Why is UIW your top choice?

Only take the MCAT once you are ready. If you are still scoring low on the practice exams before the real test, push back your testing date. Especially because this is your 3rd attempt. What were your first two scores?

Why is UIW your top choice?
Hi! So sorry it's taken me so long to reply back! I've been moving (driving) from the NE coast to SATX.

FIRST QUESTION
My first score was fall 2014 and I got a 20 (23rd percentile). I was not prepared at all and was not able to focus on studying. I thought I was doing myself a disservice if I didn't take the test... honestly, that was a completely wasted attempted and it shouldn't have been taken. That was my junior year of college.

My second score was summer'16. I put tons of hours and energy into studying and really thought I would turn out a way better score. However (in hindsight of course), I realized that I had all emphasis on content and didn't even think to take practice exams. I swallowed chunks of Khan Academy and landed a 493 (27th percentile).

So far, my highest and most recent practice test is a 495 and that is without consistent practice exams worked in, but the good thing is that I am understanding a lot of where my lapses are and will be dedicating the next 3 months to straight study and practice exams on a regular basis. I will have a part-time job as a medical scribe working about 20 hours a week, but I'm still nervous that I don't have enough time for some reason. I'll have 5 free days to plan my life, being that my shifts will be broken down into 10 hour shifts on two days of the week.

Ideally, I'd like to take the MCAT again on June 16th.

SECOND QUESTION
Not to sound dramatic, but I believe UIW is the place God has been driving me to for the last three years of my life (before I even knew about the DO school... before it technically existed actually). I really can't explain it apart from divine intervention, which is the reason I've been granted the support to move to SATX at this time of my life. All other parts of my life kept failing (very gracefully) the more I resisted the idea of uprooting myself entirely and believing in the path God was showing me. Granted, once I listened to God and did my research I realized how much UIW would be a developing and strengthening environment for me. It's literally perfect! I love the intimacy and teamwork there seems to be between the staff and students and the mission UIW has to support their students and see them succeed. I am in line with their mission entirely and it is the purpose of why I have moved! I've been drawn to the SATX area for several years now and never understood why until now!

Members don't see this ad :)
It’s gonna be hard to get into a DO school with a 495 unless you are URM or Military. That’s roughly a 22.5 on the old scale, and it would be a third time taking it. I would try my best to make sure to get a 500+, and even then DO school isn’t assured.

I would look into podiatry schools (DPM) if your MCAT goes south again and you still want to be a physician . It sounds that you have the humility to do well in that profession (Need to be very humble and a grateful attitude to work with peoples feet all day). They provide an amazing service to people, and you might really like the work they do.

Last edited:
It’s gonna be hard to get into a DO school with a 495 unless you are URM or Military. That’s roughly a 22.5 on the old scale, and it would be a third time taking it. I would try my best to make sure to get a 500+, and even then DO school isn’t assured.

I would look into podiatry schools (DPM) if your MCAT goes south again and you still want to be a physician . It sounds that you have the humility to do well in that profession (Need to be very humble and a grateful attitude to work with peoples feet all day). They provide an amazing service to people, and you might really like the work they do.
Thanks for the information.

Unfortunately, podiatry is not something I’m interested in and it doesn’t aligned with the vision I have at all.

Also, I’d like to refocus this forum to its purpose if possible rather than my MCAT scores from years ago.

Are you interested in or attending UIWSOM?

There are few legitimate excuses to get a 495. I think you are possibly using very poor preparatory techniques. What have you been using to study and prepare, and what is your routine?

If you can't do much better on the MCAT, it will be very difficult to get into any DO school.

There are few legitimate excuses to get a 495. I think you are possibly using very poor preparatory techniques. What have you been using to study and prepare, and what is your routine?

If you can't do much better on the MCAT, it will be very difficult to get into any DO school.

Thank you, again… This thread is not a discussion about my MCAT scores. I definitely don’t mind talking about them Just as well as I don’t mind giving updates as I begin my study path over the next couple of months, but this was really supposed to be a thread about people interested in matriculating to this school next year.

I’m not applying to the school simply because it is a DO school or because of any GPA or MCAT score I have. I am genuinely interested in the school as my top choice and would love to share my path to get there with others feel similarly. There are lots of other forums for people who have already begun the process of being accepted or rejected for this upcoming matriculation. I thought it would be nice for us to have the same running conversation early in the game.

I was interested in UIW at one time. I called them up and ask the admissions about what mcat score they found acceptable and they told me they are looking for 500+. So if your going to take the MCAT, make sure to score that!

And just a heads up, even if you get a 500, the previous two mcat score do not go away. They stick with you forever and can be seen, so while hakuna matata makes for a fun Disney song, it doesn’t translate well for multiple MCAT Test takers. Even if you get a 500 on this new mcat is no guarantee of an acceptance, especially if you are putting all your eggs in UIW. What happens if you end up waitlisted? Rejected?

Keep in mind that while your GPA is solid, it is not that high. The people who get in with sub 500s usually have 3.7+ c/s as well as URM and/or military experience (ADCOMS love vets).

Why do you want to be a DO over all these other types of doctors? Have you ever shadowed other healthcare professions? Like Dental, Optometry, Pharmacy, Podiatry? You might really enjoy that type of work, and you don’t know until you give it a look and shadow. Most of these professions would be happy to have you shadow.

It is smart to have a plan B. This isn’t ment to discourage you or demoralize you, I hope you get in!

Thanks for the information.

Unfortunately, podiatry is not something I’m interested in and it doesn’t aligned with the vision I have at all.

Also, I’d like to refocus this forum to its purpose if possible rather than my MCAT scores from years ago.

Are you interested in or attending UIWSOM?

Then this is not where this thread belongs. There is a school specific forum.

Thank you, again… This thread is not a discussion about my MCAT scores. I definitely don’t mind talking about them Just as well as I don’t mind giving updates as I begin my study path over the next couple of months, but this was really supposed to be a thread about people interested in matriculating to this school next year.

I’m not applying to the school simply because it is a DO school or because of any GPA or MCAT score I have. I am genuinely interested in the school as my top choice and would love to share my path to get there with others feel similarly. There are lots of other forums for people who have already begun the process of being accepted or rejected for this upcoming matriculation. I thought it would be nice for us to have the same running conversation early in the game.

Then this is not where this thread belongs. There is a school specific forum.
That forum is not specific to year of matriculation. There is actually another one that is for the 2017-2018 that has a great conversation going. I saw so many people in my situation on that forum and we were kind of getting in the way of the previous applicants' conversations since their were talking about secondaries, interviews, acceptions/denials. They were even looking for housing together!

The great thing about Student Doctor is the ability to start forums we may find useful if we find that previous ones are not.

No offense, but what exactly are you here to talk about that mandates a new thread in the Pre-DO forum? You gave your GPA and then said it was inaccurate because you didn't take into consideration course averages. You said you are taking the MCAT for the 3rd time and mentioned that you want to talk about study plans for matriculating in 2019, but then said you don't want to talk about your MCAT. You should probably focus on the MCAT and cut out things like posting on SDN, because frankly you need to boost that MCAT up a whole lot and it's not going to happen by sitting here talking about how you are in love with the idea of going to UIWSOM and how God is guiding you to it.

Reactions: 1 users
That forum is not specific to year of matriculation. There is actually another one that is for the 2017-2018 that has a great conversation going. I saw so many people in my situation on that forum and we were kind of getting in the way of the previous applicants' conversations since their were talking about secondaries, interviews, acceptions/denials. They were even looking for housing together!

The great thing about Student Doctor is the ability to start forums we may find useful if we find that previous ones are not.
I think what sab3156 is getting at is that there is a specific location for this exact forum discussion- it is in the school specific threads. Normally mods create one of these threads for each school every application cycle, but looks like you have attempted to create one early.

You posted your thread here: Pre-Medical - DO
When the usual/"appropriate" place to locate such a thread is here: Osteopathic School-Specific Discussions

No offense, but what exactly are you here to talk about that mandates a new thread in the Pre-DO forum? You gave your GPA and then said it was inaccurate because you didn't take into consideration course averages. You said you are taking the MCAT for the 3rd time and mentioned that you want to talk about study plans for matriculating in 2019, but then said you don't want to talk about your MCAT. You should probably focus on the MCAT and cut out things like posting on SDN, because frankly you need to boost that MCAT up a whole lot and it's not going to happen by sitting here talking about how you are in love with the idea of going to UIWSOM and how God is guiding you to it.
While it is great to have a goal and a top choice, I agree that there is a much greater chance for failure if you apply to 1 med school program, especially with an MCAT that low.

I was interested in UIW at one time. I called them up and ask the admissions about what mcat score they found acceptable and they told me they are looking for 500+. So if your going to take the MCAT, make sure to score that!

And just a heads up, even if you get a 500, the previous two mcat score do not go away. They stick with you forever and can be seen, so while hakuna matata makes for a fun Disney song, it doesn’t translate well for multiple MCAT Test takers. Even if you get a 500 on this new mcat is no guarantee of an acceptance, especially if you are putting all your eggs in UIW. What happens if you end up waitlisted? Rejected?

Keep in mind that while your GPA is solid, it is not that high. The people who get in with sub 500s usually have 3.7+ c/s as well as URM and/or military experience (ADCOMS love vets).

Why do you want to be a DO over all these other types of doctors? Have you ever shadowed other healthcare professions? Like Dental, Optometry, Pharmacy, Podiatry? You might really enjoy that type of work, and you don’t know until you give it a look and shadow. Most of these professions would be happy to have you shadow.

It is smart to have a plan B. This isn’t ment to discourage you or demoralize you, I hope you get in!
Why didn't you have continued interested in the school?

Honestly, I'm not freaking out about my MCAT score right now. I have 3 months of full-time studying ahead of me with a base-line practice test of 495 and without having studied in years. I think I can manage 5 points minimum based on the information I did get wrong. Also, the way I am studying and my environment will be completely different in the past. I was suffering from my worst depressive episode during my second exam (I suffered from depression for most of my childhood and young adulthood).

In regards to my practice it - in two sections I was over the 50th percentile with a 125 or higher... it was the other two sections that killed me (content lapse). My GPAs given don't include my post-graduate course work in which I received 20+ credits at a 4.0 GPA.

Random fact - I do come from a military family, but I've never served. The military is what God used to get me to San Antonio actually (but that's super personal, so I'll leave the deets out).

I've shadowed a number of different types of care takers within different specialties. I've shadowed DOs, MDs, PAs and nurses. I'm very open to different specialties because it's ignorant to claim that I'd know exactly what I want this early. However, I do know there are some specilisties that have peaked my interested and some that have turned me off. I would also like to hybrid fields I like to research as well - not limiting it to the clinical side of things (I absolutely love research as well).

Things I love: pediatrics, nephrology, neurology
Things I like: emergency/trauma, immunology
Things I dislike: cardiology, surgery, OB/GNYN, geriatrics

What attracts me to the course of a DO is really cultural. The emphasis on wholistic care and the consideration of the "web" of a persons life and how that affects their health - how each organ effects another. Granted, any physician can choose to do this research themselves and apply it to their work... but I'd rather be in an environment where there are like-minded individuals with a similar vision and desire to practice holistically. I have an added interest in OMT even though most DOs don't even practice out of school. I had a personal experience traveling with a few DOs during my international research. We were working with many indigenous and very poor folks who were suffering from all types of ailments. I watched as people were relieved from pain they had felt for years (with no money or time to travel to the city and see somewhat of a chiropractor). I don't imagine using OMT on a regular basis, but it can be a simple way to improve someone's quality of life with just a touch of a hand - that is spectacular and essentially the reason anyone should want to become a physician: "improving someone's life with the touch of a hand."

I do have alternative plans of actions as well. I am considering a number of master's programs including: physician assistant, public health as well as the MBS specifically at UIW. I've also looked into naturopathic physicians and the details of what they do , but I'm not finding the clarity I need on that and I've never shadowed one.

While it is great to have a goal and a top choice, I agree that there is a much greater chance for failure if you apply to 1 med school program, especially with an MCAT that low.
I don't know where the idea came from that I would be applying to 1 medical school. I plan on casting the net far and wide - not only within the realm of MD/DO, but towards other programs that would be suitable for me and my vision.

Honestly, I'm not freaking out about my MCAT score right now. I have 3 months of full-time studying ahead of me with a base-line practice test of 495 and without having studied in years.

You are a prime example of someone who doesn't learn from their mistakes, and you also seem to be living in a state of delusion. This is your 3rd time taking the MCAT, and you already wasted a full length practice by doing a "base-line". A 495 is abysmal, and if you aren't "freaking out" and studying, instead of spending your time posting massive walls of text (filled with nonsense) on SDN, you are absolutely delusional and probably not going to end up in any medical school, not even at UIWSOM. Just being real with you.

Your time will be better spent on the MCAT forum talking about how to fix your study habits so you actually get a decent score this time so that you don't end up regretting your life choices at this moment in time.

Let me try to break this down a bit better...

• The topic of the forum is described as the following:
"This space is designed for prospective candidates who are planning to apply for 2019 matriculation. Knowing stats, location and study/application plans would be awesome!"​
  • If you've had any experience with the school, staff or other students - please share that experience as well!"
  • The rest of the initial post is an introduction to who I am to start the conversation.
  • Knowing the states, location and study/applications plans of all people looking to apply is what that sentence was referring to
  • Putting an emphasis on a practice test and talking about what is needed to gain entrance entrance into medical school is not study advice.
  • Again, I was imitating a very successful thread that the prospective students of 2017-2018 had created. They are having the same exact conversation and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it. It's actually helping a lot of folks and they're able to create a support team for each other.
  • Though I decided to express my personal belief about why UIWSOM is the school geared towards me doesn't mean I think a unicorn is going to come down and scoop me away to the school, haha. I have just moved to SATX after traveling for an eternity and am taking time to settle in before starting my rigorous study schedule. I was hoping to run into people in the area on the same page as me to form study/support groups as well.

You are a prime example of someone who doesn't learn from their mistakes, and you also seem to be living in a state of delusion. This is your 3rd time taking the MCAT, and you already wasted a full length practice by doing a "base-line". A 495 is abysmal, and if you aren't "freaking out" and studying, instead of spending your time posting massive walls of text (filled with nonsense) on SDN, you are absolutely delusional and probably not going to end up in any medical school, not even at UIWSOM. Just being real with you.

Your time will be better spent on the MCAT forum talking about how to fix your study habits so you actually get a decent score this time so that you don't end up regretting your life choices at this moment in time.
If you are genuinely trying to be helpful, I would like to thank you for your concern. If your goal is to troll people on forums, which is seems like from your recent activity on your profile, you are free to move on to another forum that doesn't insult your status as much as mine does.

I think what sab3156 is getting at is that there is a specific location for this exact forum discussion- it is in the school specific threads. Normally mods create one of these threads for each school every application cycle, but looks like you have attempted to create one early.

You posted your thread here: Pre-Medical - DO
When the usual/"appropriate" place to locate such a thread is here: Osteopathic School-Specific Discussions
Thank for the tip! This is my first time posting and I didn't even see that as an option.

Unfortunately, the way sab3156 presented it made it impossible to be helpful. Since you've explained it with a simple example - I actually understand what you are saying! I might move the thread there then - especially if it might reach more people who are actually looking for this type of thread.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.