2018-2019 University of Kentucky

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you don't mind, I have a few questions...
Was the Bowling Green Campus your top campus preference, or was the the Lexington campus? Why?
Are all of the locations other than the Lexington campus focused on serving more rural type areas?

1st Many many medical schools want us all to be interested in Rural medicine bc there is such a high demand for it. But Bowling green in far from a rural area in my opinion.

Bowling green was my top choice for a few reasons
1. It’s university of Kentucky and I love their curriculum and it’s identical to that of the Lexington campus, we have the exact same lectures exams, assignments ect.
We also have the exact same rotation opportunities, we can stay here in BG and do them all locally (for the most part) or travel to any of the other sites with the Lexington students.

2. I mainly choose BG over Lexington bc of the Small class size. We see the deans everyday they know us on a much more personal level and I can’t imagine how useful that is going to be when it comes time for us to get letters of rec for residency.
It’s also been great bc the whole class knows each other and we are all pretty much a little family already. That atmosphere I think will definitely help us all to succeed during the tough weeks.
3. Another perc is that The medical center here in BG is in the process of adding a few more residency options rumor has it OBGYN, General Surgery, and Interventional radiology, on top of the Internal med and cardiology fellowship already in place.
4. Beautiful new everything all in one spot, we can park for free in our garage, walk in have lecture study in our amazing lounge, see standardized patients in the mock exam rooms, and all that right here!
5. Bowling Green itself is incredibly excited to have us and the opportunities to shadow are incredible, everyone wants to help us out and show us everything!

The only short coming with it being brand new is we don’t really have any interest groups set up yet. We have been able to skype into the Lexington meetings if we wanted but it’s not really the same. I personally am not into joining tons of groups but if you are that’s something to consider. However you do have the opportunity to start up whatever you want it’s a clean slate.

That’s all I got. So far I love it! Good luck everyone

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
If you don't have connections, I would strongly recommend thinking hard about the secondary/paying the fee. You can always contact admissions to see what they think of your situation. They are IS/ties heavy ESPECIALLY this year with new policies in place.
I disagree, UK makes plenty of money, they do not generally send out secondaries just because. if you get a secondary it’s because they definitely see potential. If you have no ties to KY rather then say nothin explain why you would love to come there. Persistence and drive are very appealing to the UK admin.

I would be happy to get accepted here instead of the Lex. campus. No chance of this is if I put Lex. as top choice though right?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would be happy to get accepted here instead of the Lex. campus. No chance of this is if I put Lex. as top choice though right?

I’m not sure, great question to ask admissions. I know if you get waitlisted at any campus you are allowed to change your location preference at least they let them do one change last year.
I would call Schyler Pentecost she is the admissions coordinator at the BG campus and she is super nice she would gladly give you the official answer.

Reactions: 1 user
1st Many many medical schools want us all to be interested in Rural medicine bc there is such a high demand for it. But Bowling green in far from a rural area in my opinion.

Bowling green was my top choice for a few reasons
1. It’s university of Kentucky and I love their curriculum and it’s identical to that of the Lexington campus, we have the exact same lectures exams, assignments ect.
We also have the exact same rotation opportunities, we can stay here in BG and do them all locally (for the most part) or travel to any of the other sites with the Lexington students.

2. I mainly choose BG over Lexington bc of the Small class size. We see the deans everyday they know us on a much more personal level and I can’t imagine how useful that is going to be when it comes time for us to get letters of rec for residency.
It’s also been great bc the whole class knows each other and we are all pretty much a little family already. That atmosphere I think will definitely help us all to succeed during the tough weeks.
3. Another perc is that The medical center here in BG is in the process of adding a few more residency options rumor has it OBGYN, General Surgery, and Interventional radiology, on top of the Internal med and cardiology fellowship already in place.
4. Beautiful new everything all in one spot, we can park for free in our garage, walk in have lecture study in our amazing lounge, see standardized patients in the mock exam rooms, and all that right here!
5. Bowling Green itself is incredibly excited to have us and the opportunities to shadow are incredible, everyone wants to help us out and show us everything!

The only short coming with it being brand new is we don’t really have any interest groups set up yet. We have been able to skype into the Lexington meetings if we wanted but it’s not really the same. I personally am not into joining tons of groups but if you are that’s something to consider. However you do have the opportunity to start up whatever you want it’s a clean slate.

That’s all I got. So far I love it! Good luck everyone

Thank you so much!! Are there any other important factors that you considered or wish you considered when choosing the BG campus? I really want to attend the Lexington campus because I enjoy larger classes and out of all of the campuses I most familiar with Lexington, however I'm having trouble answering the secondary prompt about why I prefer that campus, because my answer is too general.

Good luck to those of you interviewing tomorrow!

Interviewed yesterday!

Was relatively laid back. Two individual one-on-one interviews, one of my interviews was with a PhD and the other was with an MD. They were both friendly and very knowledgeable of my application. Be sure to review your primary as well as your secondary, as they may want to expand on some of your experiences and answers. Be prepared to answer basic and expected interview questions, such as "Why do you want to be a physician?" and specifically, "Why do you want to go to medical school in Kentucky?" As they are very interested in educating future physicians that will practice within the state. Some situational questions similar to what was seen on the secondary, but no questions asked were particularly surprising. After the interviews were over, we had a financial aid presentation and had lunch with a select few of the M2's, who then gave us a tour. They were very friendly and answered all of our questions about the school. It was a great experience and it's nothing to be too stressed out about. Good luck to everyone interviewing here!

Can anyone that has interviewed at the Northern Kentucky campus tell me a little more about the facilities and where the medical school will be housed?

Anyone who interviewed recently remember when Kim said the committee meets next? I don't remember exactly but I swear she said we could call on the 15th if we wanted to know the decision or wait for them to tell us. That means most of us who interviewed by now should have a decision sometime close to the 15th right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone that has interviewed at the Northern Kentucky campus tell me a little more about the facilities and where the medical school will be housed?
I interviewed on September 8th and toured the facilities in NKY. Basically the administrative building will be in the lower level of NKU's Chase College of Law and the classrooms and simulation setup is in the brand new building near the computer science center. I will say this, the simulation center is state of the art and brand new (some of the rooms were still being completed) with approximately 50 simulation dummies in a variety of settings including a full blown OR, CT scan, trauma bay, birthing suites -- Its truly impressive. Theres also a simulation center by the airport, which will also be utilized by the med school.

I interviewed on September 8th and toured the facilities in NKY. Basically the administrative building will be in the lower level of NKU's Chase College of Law and the classrooms and simulation setup is in the brand new building near the computer science center. I will say this, the simulation center is state of the art and brand new (some of the rooms were still being completed) with approximately 50 simulation dummies in a variety of settings including a full blown OR, CT scan, trauma bay, birthing suites -- Its truly impressive. Theres also a simulation center by the airport, which will also be utilized by the med school.

I ultimately decided to make Lex my #1 but I did do open houses at 3 of the 4 campuses. At NKY it was in St. E's education building with the simulation labs and I can attest that the sims there are fantastic as well. I'm not sure how much of the curriculum uses sims (it may end up varying between campuses). The new sim lab in Lexington is also great but its only used as scheduled in the curriculum, I'm sure down the road you'll be able to schedule times to come in and perhaps practice certain procedures/situations while you're on specific rotations, and residents may be able to use it as well if they want some practice. NKY will be a very strong campus for sure.

Hey, for all who have interviewed by Sep, did they make it seem like we would hear back Oct. 15th? I know that we could hear between then and March, but considering a Sep interview is early in the grand scheme of things, do yall think we will hear on the 15th? Asking for a friend. LOL

Hey, for all who have interviewed by Sep, did they make it seem like we would hear back Oct. 15th? I know that we could hear between then and March, but considering a Sep interview is early in the grand scheme of things, do yall think we will hear on the 15th? Asking for a friend. LOL
The 15th is the earliest date they are allowed to send out acceptances. Most of the time if u interviewed before that date u should here back then! Good luck!

i interviewed here on saturday (9/29) and they said the committee was meeting this thursday so we should all have decisions by the october 15th date :) (as long as you arent right before the date)

i interviewed here on saturday (9/29) and they said the committee was meeting this thursday so we should all have decisions by the october 15th date :) (as long as you arent right before the date)
Awesome! They made it seem like that at my interview but didnt outright say it! THANKS

Just received my II for the RPLP on November 16!! I'm pretty flippin excited!

Very confused today. On August 31st I got an email from the assistant dean saying that I was not going to be offered a secondary application at that time due to insignificant ties to Kentucky. Today I received the secondary application via email. Is it worth submitting or is this just an accident by the admissions office? Wondering what you guys would do in my shoes.

Very confused today. On August 31st I got an email from the assistant dean saying that I was not going to be offered a secondary application at that time due to insignificant ties to Kentucky. Today I received the secondary application via email. Is it worth submitting or is this just an accident by the admissions office? Wondering what you guys would do in my shoes.

Most people are going to tell you to submit. Due to you getting that email, I would honestly encourage you to call admissions and ask them before you drop money on it.

Interviewed here in September... OOS but UK Undergrad. Complete mid July.

Just got II, secondary finished by end of August. The first available spot is in mid-February... Interviewed here in a previous cycle and was in the same boat. However, they had a portal that stayed open and I was able to move mine up to December because someone had to drop that date. It doesn't look that that will be possible this time.

Just got II, secondary finished by end of August. The first available spot is in mid-February... Interviewed here in a previous cycle and was in the same boat. However, they had a portal that stayed open and I was able to move mine up to December because someone had to drop that date. It doesn't look that that will be possible this time.
if you email them they have a list that they will put on that will allow you to fill in if they dont have 20 people able to come on a certain date bc someone dropped etc.

Exact same situation here

I hope lots of you get happy calls this week!!

Accepted via phone call from my interviewer about an hour ago! Interviewed 9-25, IS

Last edited:
Accepted via phone call this morning!!! Interviewed 9/29

Reactions: 3 users
Got the call about 45 minutes ago! Accepted into Lexington Campus, interviewed on 9/29! My interviewer called me woooo

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted by phone call about an hour ago!! IS, interviewed 9/25.

Accepted at 7:30 this morning by phone call from my interviewer!! Lexington campus! Interviewed 9/29

I was rejected today, interviewed 9/25. Congratulations to everyone who was accepted and I wish you the best of luck!

Interviewed 9/15, no call today. :(OOS but UK undergrad... pretty sure this means a rejection

Can anyone give me any insight on how the interviews are at the NKU campus? Also does living in Ohio make you an out of state candidate for this campus?

UPDATE: Got hit with the WL. :( But knowing is better than waiting in agony. Congrats to everyone who was accepted today!

Has anyone that interviewed at the NKU campus heard anything? also are you notified of waitlist/rejection by email or by phone call?

Has anyone that interviewed at the NKU campus heard anything? also are you notified of waitlist/rejection by email or by phone call?

I have not. However, I did have a friend who received an email yesterday with an acceptance. We interviewed on the same day, 9/8.

Can anyone give me any insight on how the interviews are at the NKU campus? Also does living in Ohio make you an out of state candidate for this campus?
NKY interviews are very conversational and low stress. Just be yourself and try to stay relaxed!

So I interviewed on 10/9. They said the earliest they will let us know is by 10/15. Did anyone from 10/9 get a call yet? Lex campus.

So I interviewed on 10/9. They said the earliest they will let us know is by 10/15. Did anyone from 10/9 get a call yet? Lex campus.
The adcom meets this Thursday so they will decide on your application then. I think the earliest you will get a call is going to be Friday or early next week. Maybe it will be a same day turn around and you will hear Thursday but I think its unlikely.

Anyone know if/when a facebook page for our class would be made?

Has anyone heard back from the RPLP or know when they will contact us?

I interviewed this day as well and asked Dr. Jackson about when we would hear, she said they would meet and vote on the 18th (today) and made it seem as though they would call us today as well