2018-2019 SDN Anesthesia Rank Order List Anonymous Form

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
User Name: Left Blank
License: D.O.
Region: North East
Pubs: 1
Step 1:-
Step 2:-
Level 1:650-700+
Level 2:650-700+
PE/CS:pass
1.WVU
2.Penn State
3. Allegheny
4.Jefferson
5. Temple
6.Geisinger
7.UCF
8.Texas Tech
9.LSU shreveport
10. Riverside
11.Mclaren Lansing
12. UPMC Litiz

Members don't see this ad.

Region: -
Pubs: 0
Step 1:260+
Step 2:260+
Level 1:650-700+
Level 2:650-700+

1.UPMC
2.Cleveland Clinc
3.Wisconsin
4.Iowa
5.Rochester
6. Kentucky
7.Case Western UH
8.Nebraska

Recommendations for future Applicants

I applied to 40 programs, categorical only and didn’t do any away rotations. I’m a DO in the west and I applied to several programs in the SE and I didn’t receive a single interview invite from that region. If the SE is where you want to be and you’re not from that region, try to do some away rotations there.

After posing all these i can definitely say the DO thing is a huge wild card. Some without step got interviews to place i applied with step even though we still had the same Level 1 / level 2

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Region: south east
Step 1:220s
Step 2:220s
Level 1:550s-600
Level 2:550s-600

1.Oak Hill
2.Virginia Commonwealth
3.st joseph nymc
4.IU
5.U of M
6.West Virginia
7.Allegheny
8.Baystate
9.Maimonides
10.Suny Downstate
11.St Elizabeth

Location was the most important factor for me and I wanted to stay close to home. I believe training in residency is what you make of it and every program offers more or less the same thing. I'm a current resident right now switching specialities. Hence, I put a brand new program first despite me getting interviews at more established programs. I "tried" to go on every interview I got simply because of my reapplicant status. Other facts regarding my app for future applicants: - I applied with no anesthesia letters. Never even did a rotation. But all my letters were from when I was a resident and they were extremely supportive/positive. I got offers from programs that even said "must have one anesthesia letter" on their website and still ended up with an interview. - I had a good reason switching specialties and was talked about in every interview. Interviews offered but the PROGRAM rescinded: - University of Mississippi- Claimed their system glitched and invites were sent out by mistake. I could still see there entire schedule online though and it was actively changing. No idea what happened and I never heard back from them again despite reaching out. - Grand Strand- Brand new program that opened up super late. Set up a video interview, spoke with the faculty prior confirming this, yet on the day of the interview after I was waiting around, I reached out and the person I was speaking to told me there were enough applicants so all future interviews were canceled. Maybe they saw something on my application that turned them off? Idk.... Interviews offered but I declined: -Rochester University- I rescheduled twice and ended up canceling. It was about 1k to change around my flights and I had a hard time justifying that. Would have really loved to go on this one though :(

Region: south east
Step 1:220s
Step 2:220s
Level 1:550s-600
Level 2:550s-600

1.Oak Hill
2.Virginia Commonwealth
3.st joseph nymc
4.IU
5.U of M
6.West Virginia
7.Allegheny
8.Baystate
9.Maimonides
10.Suny Downstate
11.St Elizabeth

Location was the most important factor for me and I wanted to stay close to home. I believe training in residency is what you make of it and every program offers more or less the same thing. I'm a current resident right now switching specialities. Hence, I put a brand new program first despite me getting interviews at more established programs. I "tried" to go on every interview I got simply because of my reapplicant status. Other facts regarding my app for future applicants: - I applied with no anesthesia letters. Never even did a rotation. But all my letters were from when I was a resident and they were extremely supportive/positive. I got offers from programs that even said "must have one anesthesia letter" on their website and still ended up with an interview. - I had a good reason switching specialties and was talked about in every interview. Interviews offered but the PROGRAM rescinded: - University of Mississippi- Claimed their system glitched and invites were sent out by mistake. I could still see there entire schedule online though and it was actively changing. No idea what happened and I never heard back from them again despite reaching out. - Grand Strand- Brand new program that opened up super late. Set up a video interview, spoke with the faculty prior confirming this, yet on the day of the interview after I was waiting around, I reached out and the person I was speaking to told me there were enough applicants so all future interviews were canceled. Maybe they saw something on my application that turned them off? Idk.... Interviews offered but I declined: -Rochester University- I rescheduled twice and ended up canceling. It was about 1k to change around my flights and I had a hard time justifying that. Would have really loved to go on this one though :(

Wow. Interviewed at Oak Hill and didn’t have a great impression of the place. I guess the poster was closest to home there. Pretty ballsy putting a brand new program #1 over many established programs on your rank list. Best of luck!

Wow. Interviewed at Oak Hill and didn’t have a great impression of the place. I guess the poster was closest to home there. Pretty ballsy putting a brand new program #1 over many established programs on your rank list. Best of luck!

Residency is hard and very mentally exhausting. It helps to have family around. I put some very non-stellar programs over great programs because of it. So I can see where he/she coming from

Residency is hard and very mentally exhausting. It helps to have family around. I put some very non-stellar programs over great programs because of it. So I can see where he/she coming from
Yeah. I think a lot of people rank places closer to home higher for that very reason. I just hadn’t seen Oak Hill on a single rank list so far, so to then see it number one just surprised me. Nothing wrong with his decision to rank it high though for the reasons you mentioned.

Long time lurker, first time poster. OP of the rank list everyone seems suspicious of given low board scores. I'm a US MD at a good school with a good anesthesia program. NO AWAYS; not an ethnic minority. Only posted my top 4 because that's where I'm hoping to land but I did get 14 interviews, went on 11 so I should be fine. I'm honestly shocked I got some of those places too; it honestly feels like a mistake at times. I think the biggest thing going for me is that I have strong, unique life experiences that I don't think many other people can say. I think that made me stand out to some of these recruitment committees despite my low board scores. Perhaps my LORs were strong too but no one has ever mentioned them so idk. Unlikely I'll match at any of the 4, but hey a kid can dream right? The chair at one of programs did email me saying he hopes to see me come June! If I'm fortunate enough to match at one of those 4, I might do a writeup for future applicants saying what made me stand out despite my low scores. Cheers.

PS. chromuffin, you doing right? Haven't seen you post in awhile.
i hope you match! looking foward to hearing your story