2018-2019 SDN Anesthesia Rank Order List Anonymous Form

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You regret nothing.
Indeed. You've caught me in a moment of weakness. Sometimes just wishing I lived closer to home.

Members don't see this ad.

User Name:Serhisasp
License: USMD
Region: midwest
Pubs:0
Step 1: 240s
Step 2: 250s
Level 1
Level 2
PE/CS:pass
Programs:
1.MGH
2.USCF
3.Northwestern
4.Michigan
5.UCLA
6.EMORY
7.Cornell
8.WashU
9.Uchiago
10.Stanford
11.Columbia
12.NYU
13.Cleveland Clinc
14.Penn
15.Ohio State
16.Loyola
17.Rush
18UIC
19.MCW
20.Minnesota

No recommendations left but damn 20 interviews strong candidate

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Level 1
Level 2
Programs:
1.MGH
2.USCF
3.Northwestern
4.Michigan
5.UCLA
6.EMORY
7.Cornell
8.WashU
9.Uchiago
10.Stanford
11.Columbia
12.NYU
13.Cleveland Clinc
14.Penn
15.Ohio State
16.Loyola
17.Rush
18UIC
19.MCW
20.Minnesota

Would be interested to know what factors caused this candidate put Stanford, Columbia and Penn so low...

Reactions: 1 user
Would be interested to know what factors caused this candidate put Stanford, Columbia and Penn so low...

All the places above them are similar tier so it's completely reasonable. I dont know much about stanford, but plenty of reasons to put columbia and Penn lower than other places of similar caliber. Penn gives off a super elitist feel which turned off many people. Residents also didn't seem very happy when i talked to them (a couple yrs ago). I also ranked Penn near the bottom of my list. Columbia has an unproven track record now that the old PD left and new PD arrived. Also the recent cardiac match blunder. And some say resident happiness is lower than the other 3 NYC programs.

All the places above them are similar tier so it's completely reasonable. I dont know much about stanford, but plenty of reasons to put columbia and Penn lower than other places of similar caliber. Penn gives off a super elitist feel which turned off many people. Residents also didn't seem very happy when i talked to them (a couple yrs ago). I also ranked Penn near the bottom of my list. Columbia has an unproven track record now that the old PD left and new PD arrived. Also the recent cardiac match blunder. And some say resident happiness is lower than the other 3 NYC programs.

Made an account just to reply. Exactly as anbuitachi inferred though for Penn and Columbia. For Stanford, I felt like the residents were all intelligent but a little on the awkward side and very much on the overworked side. I feel like you can see the obvious midwest home bias working too though (NU and UChicago being so high).

Made an account just to reply. Exactly as anbuitachi inferred though for Penn and Columbia. For Stanford, I felt like the residents were all intelligent but a little on the awkward side and very much on the overworked side. I feel like you can see the obvious midwest home bias working too though (NU and UChicago being so high).

Thank you, that is good to note for all three programs. I had similar impressions of Penn as both you and abuitachi. Felt more positive about Columbia and Stanford.

I wish I knew who this was because I have a few questions. If you're willing to PM me, I'm especially curious about UAB. Also, where you did your aways, what region you're from (because there's a few regions represented here). I'm a 3rd year student preparing to go through the process next year. Thanks.
for some reason it won't let me PM u

User Name:-
Region: southwest
Step 1: 250s
Level 1
Level 2
Programs:

1.Baylor
Pros- Houston native and would prefer to stay in Houston over other major cities. Program seems like a nice fit for what I want out of a program

2.UTMB-
Pros: Good work-life balance and close enough to Houston. Residents do not appear stressed. Cons- Galveston is a small city and you will need to drive quite a bit off the island for rotations (some rotations are in Houston, and 1 month of peds in Corpus Christi).

3.UAB.
I think this is the strongest program I interviewed at. Even though I want a bigger city lifestyle, I will still rank this program high. Extremely impressed.

4.USC-LA.
Very good program. Living in LA seems nice, but will be expensive.

5.UTSW
Strong program with a strong name. Some of the residents seemed burnt out when I visited though.

6.UT- San Antonio.
It's an ok program.

7.UT- Houston.
I want to stay in Houston and I'm considering other places over here. Still a major workhorse program.

Pubs:5+
Step 1: 260+
Step 2: 260+
Level 1
Level 2
Programs:
1.MGH
2.BWH
3.Cornell
4.Columbia
5.Northwestern
6.Ucsf
7.BIDMC
8.UPMC
9.Hopkins
10.Standford
11.OHSU
12.Uchicago
13.UIC
14.NYU

Members don't see this ad :)
for some reason it won't let me PM u
Wow, impressive list. What do you think made you so successful with programs like MGH/UCSF? I had about the same scores as you with a few pubs and I struck out on MGH/BWH/UCSF/Hopkins.

Level 1
Level 2
Programs:
1.MGH
2.USCF
3.Northwestern
4.Michigan
5.UCLA
6.EMORY
7.Cornell
8.WashU
9.Uchiago
10.Stanford
11.Columbia
12.NYU
13.Cleveland Clinc
14.Penn
15.Ohio State
16.Loyola
17.Rush
18UIC
19.MCW
20.Minnesota

Waste of money. Last 5 interviews were a waste of time and money IMHO. What's the odds the OP doesn't match in his/her top 5? We are talking about Power ball odds the OP doesn't match within his/her top 10 list.

Reactions: 5 users
Step 1: 250s
Level 1
Level 2
Programs:

1.Baylor
Pros- Houston native and would prefer to stay in Houston over other major cities. Program seems like a nice fit for what I want out of a program

2.UTMB-
Pros: Good work-life balance and close enough to Houston. Residents do not appear stressed. Cons- Galveston is a small city and you will need to drive quite a bit off the island for rotations (some rotations are in Houston, and 1 month of peds in Corpus Christi).

3.UAB.
I think this is the strongest program I interviewed at. Even though I want a bigger city lifestyle, I will still rank this program high. Extremely impressed.

4.USC-LA.
Very good program. Living in LA seems nice, but will be expensive.

5.UTSW
Strong program with a strong name. Some of the residents seemed burnt out when I visited though.

6.UT- San Antonio.
It's an ok program.

7.UT- Houston.
I want to stay in Houston and I'm considering other places over here. Still a major workhorse program.

Interesting. Liked Baylor but their pay is a lot lower without any educational stipend which gave me pause. Same with USC, low wages with high COL.

Interesting. Liked Baylor but their pay is a lot lower without any educational stipend which gave me pause. Same with USC, low wages with high COL.
Baylor is 56k for Pgy1..... in Texas.... that has no income tax.. and already low COL area.
NYU is 65k and probably cost twice as much to live there than Houston. Miami is 52k. So Baylor is definitely good pay Compared to most cities.
Idk what your expectations are for living in a city.

Reactions: 3 users
Baylor is 56k for Pgy1..... in Texas.... that has no income tax.. and already low COL area.
NYU is 65k and probably cost twice as much to live there than Houston. Miami is 52k. So Baylor is definitely good pay Compared to most cities.
Idk what your expectations are for living in a city.
I guess I was comparing it to other TX programs with more moonlighting opportunities. Definitely a great program though

. Miami is 52k .
I was pretty sick when I saw that 52K for Miami, especially since everyone ends up living in a ritzy part of town (be it Brickell, or out by Miami Beach). I guess the justification or self-reasoning is that you won't have much time for other stuff, anyway, so 52K should last you alright. :(

No State income tax in FLA either so that helps.

To be fair, Miami gives u 1.5k educational fund a year to do whatever you want with it. Some programs are really stingy with their educational fund ($600 a year and have to jump through hoops of fire to get things reimbursed)

User Name:
License: D.O.
Region:southwest
Pubs:1
Step 1:240s
Step 2:240s
Level 1:-
Level 2:-
PE/CS:-
Programs:
1.usc
2.harbor
3.riverside

User Name:
Region:southwest
Step 1:220s
Step 2:230s
Level 1:-
Programs:
1.Kumc
2.UMKC- moved up in ROL 2/2 family issues
3.Louisville
4.KU Wichita
5.U of NM
6.SLU
7.Texas Tech
8.U of Arkansas

User Name:
Region:midwest
Step 1:250s
Step 2:260s
Level 1:650-700+
Level 2:650-700+
Programs:
1.Hopkins PRO - PD is great. Chair is clearly invested College day is awesome.
CON- Baltimore

2.Uchicago
PRO - Chicago. From here, love the city, and it being on the south side doesnt bother me. I thought residents seemed cool and down to earth. Facilities are amazing. One interview may be the most enjoyable one I had all season.
CON - PD interview was meh. Level 1 trauma center now which has made for some longer hours.

3.Stanford
PRO - California. Innovative. Reputation. Unmatched case load. Everyone I met was extremely friendly.
CON - Cost of living. Long hours.

4.MGH
PRO - Really jive with PD. Buy into the educational philosophy. Old PD has a lot of influence still (in a good way). Amazing case load
CON - Cost of living

5.Cleveland Clinic
PRO - Intern year is awesome. Residents are happy. Cardio training unmatched.
CON - Cleveland

6.NYU - Manhattan
7.Rush
8.Loyola
9.IU
10. U of MN

Recommendations for future Applicants

Study hard for Boards. Be professional on your rotations, but don't be afraid to get to know people as they will go to bat for you/write excellent letters as a result. I will echo everyone else in saying write things down after interview day so you dont forget/blend things together.

User Name:
License: Usmd
Step 1:210s
Level 1-
Programs:
1.Northwestern
2.Uchicago
3.NYU
4.Maryland
5.George Washington
6.Georgetown
7.Cedars-sinai
8.Rochester
9.Nyu-Brooklyn
10.Montefiore
11. Wisconsin
12.Case Western-uh
13.Minnesota
14.Loyola
15.Downstate
16.Tufts
17.MCW
18.Maine

User Name:
Step 1:210s
Level 1-
Programs:
1.Northwestern
2.Uchicago
3.NYU
4.Maryland
5.George Washington
6.Georgetown
7.Cedars-sinai
8.Rochester
9.Nyu-Brooklyn
10.Montefiore
11. Wisconsin
12.Case Western-uh
13.Minnesota
14.Loyola
15.Downstate
16.Tufts
17.MCW
18.Maine

Just out of curiosity, why would you rank Nyu brooklyn above downstate?

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, why would you rank Nyu brooklyn above downstate? Downstate is an established, true New York City program.

Hopefully the person sends you a private message to explain .

Just out of curiosity, why would you rank Nyu brooklyn above downstate? Downstate is an established, true New York City program.

When I applied a few years ago, downstate had a bad reputation. I can’t remember the specifics and I don’t even know if they were true.

struggling with this exact dilemma. I wanna rank downstate higher b/c more established. But if you think about it, NYU BK is basically an entire rotation site that is being taken from downstate (and downstate residents say it's one of their best). Also, having access to NYU manhattan name and attendings is really great if you wanna do any subspecialty fellowships. Say I wanna do cardiac, I will be rotating at NYU manhattan for that and working with the same attendings the regular NYU residents would (i.e. getting the same letters, vying for the same inhouse spots). Assuming Wajda will go to bat for NYU BK residents the same as NYU manhattan, this is a pretty advantageous scenario compared to Downstate.

I also wanna know the rationale for NYU BK higher than monte though..

User Name:
Region: North East
Pubs:2-5
Level 1-
Programs:
1.Cornell
- prime location, best fit, strong reputation, commitment to resident education

2.UCLA
- awesome location, cool residents, strong reputation, not a fan of the multiple sites to commute to

3.Emory
close to home, only program in Atlanta so you'll see everything; Grady is a plus; amazing facilities; really nice and down to earth residents and faculty

4.Northwestern
- connected well with residents, strong sense of camaraderie especially between residents and attendings; strong commitment to resident education

5.Wash U
- can live like a king in St. Louis; very strong clinical training; ample opportunities to do research; amazing facilities

6.Michigan
- lots of $$$; very strong leadership esp Dr. Tremper, outstanding clinical training; cons were regional not done until CA-3 year, Ann Arbor, and weather

7.UTSW
- only program in Dallas so you'll see everything; very nice facilities; very down to earth residents and faculty; seems to have made lots of changes to improve on "malignant" culture in the past

8.UNC
probably the happiest residents I've seen on the trail; I do not want to live in a college town

9.NYU
- bad interview experience but excellent location in NYC; residents all seem very chill, but faculty seem hands off; didactics are not a strength; Bellevue was terrible

10.UPenn
- terrible interview day; feels like you work for the chair/PD who were not very personable at all; culture seems like service > education; got rid of overtime pay recently

11. UAB
plenty of moonlighting opportunities; nice residents but was very homogeneous; PD seemed like a strong resident advocate; Birmingham was the biggest con

12. YALE
couldn't see myself in New Haven; seemed short-staffed and overworked; strong emphasis on research; I just didn't have a good fit with the residents there

Get CK/CS out of the way ASAP, like before 4th year starts. It will make your 4th year and interview trail so much more enjoyable.

User Name:
Region: -
Step 2:230s
Level 1-
1.UTAH
2.LOMA LINDA
3.MAYO AZ
4.UC IRIVINE
5.Baylor Scott & White
6.UNMC
7.UTMB
8.ROCHESTER
9.UIC

Take (and pass) step 2 before interview season. Apply broadly. Reach out to programs you’re interested in.

User Name:
Region: North East
Level 1-
Programs:

9.NYU
- bad interview experience but excellent location in NYC; residents all seem very chill, but faculty seem hands off; didactics are not a strength; Bellevue was terrible
NYU is such a damn cult with Bellevue. "What's your favorite part about NYU?" "Bellevue, without a doubt" "Bellevue is what defined my residency" "Bellevue is what makes our residents stand out" etc...

User Name:aljoneil
License: DO
Region: southeast
Step 2:260+

1.MUSC
2.WAKE
3.WASHU
4.VCU
5.UTMB
6.CCF
7.Cinci
8.UK
9.Iowa
10.MCW
11.Rochester
12.UNMC
13.Loyola
14.WVU

Do away and get academic LOR

User Name: Left Blank
Region:South West
Pubs: 0
Step 2:220s
Level 1:600-650
Level 2:550-600

1.Harbor-UCLA:
Living in LA. County hospital with lots of trauma experience. A lot of sick patients. Great moonlighting. CA1 schedule is cush.

2.Rush:
Chicago. Big program. Great hospital (lots of money from Ortho program)

3.HCA Sunrise Las Vegas:
Not a far move. Brand new program. PD wasn't very personable.

4.University of Florida:
I liked the program but wouldn't want to live in Gainesville

Break the 230 threshold. Apply very broadly as a DO. I applied to 75 programs and only got 4 interviews.

User Name: Left Blank
Region:South West
Pubs: 0
Step 2:220s
Level 1:600-650
Level 2:550-600

1.Harbor-UCLA:
Living in LA. County hospital with lots of trauma experience. A lot of sick patients. Great moonlighting. CA1 schedule is cush.

2.Rush:
Chicago. Big program. Great hospital (lots of money from Ortho program)

3.HCA Sunrise Las Vegas:
Not a far move. Brand new program. PD wasn't very personable.

4.University of Florida:
I liked the program but wouldn't want to live in Gainesville

Break the 230 threshold. Apply very broadly as a DO. I applied to 75 programs and only got 4 interviews.
Honestly, this one makes me question the other parts of the application (LORs or personal statement more specifically) because 75 apps to 4 interviews is dismal, and I have friends in DO school who did worse and/or didn't even take step 1 who got 2-3 times more interviews with less programs applied to. Or maybe poor selection of programs from the start (maybe they applied to a bunch of programs without DOs)

Can't be sure, but this is just me hypothesizing.

Honestly, this one makes me question the other parts of the application (LORs or personal statement more specifically) because 75 apps to 4 interviews is dismal, and I have friends in DO school who did worse and/or didn't even take step 1 who got 2-3 times more interviews with less programs applied to. Or maybe poor selection of programs from the start (maybe they applied to a bunch of programs without DOs)

Unless the OP response we don’t really know. But I can tell you one thing this year has been strange. I’ve been on interviews with people who have been at completely different interviews but we have the same scores even though I applied to those program too. So it really depends on multiple things including letter of rec and just luck honestly.

Reactions: 2 users

Friends in DO school applying to this year’s match? To echo what Dr. Jekyll said, this has been a much tougher year for anesthesia. I’m a DO with 220s/230s on steps, no red flags, with 9 total interviews (3 of those coming from lower tier programs, and two of those interviews probably only because I auditioned there).

While I think that person should have gotten more like 7+ interviews with those stats, it’s not that surprising either. This year has been tough with a big jump in applicants compared to previous years. If that person didn’t do any auditions and applied to many big name programs, it isn’t unreasonable to think 4 interviews total.

Man. These lists. If you go on more than 12 interviews for anesthesia, you are doing it very wrong. If I were a PD I'd actively screen against these folks.

There are many reasons that an individual may go on more than 12 interviews if they had the luxury of receiving them. Is it expensive? Yes. Is it burdensome? Yes. But there nothing wrong with that if they choose to do so. PDs should be actively screening against someone with your attitude.

As someone who didn’t match last cycle, I’ll go out on a limb here and say you should go on many interviews as possible that you feel comfortable with ranking and within your financial limits. You don’t owe anyone anything and yes it’s an inherent flaw to the system that allows this. But you don’t want that email come March saying you didn’t match and wonder if those interviews you decline would have changed anything.

Reactions: 4 users
I’m very much in the favor of doing as many as you can because you don’t know what you will like. Granted if you go to places that you know are not going to be interesting like for example the Midwest when you’re from the coast and don’t want to live in BFE then it’s not worth it. But if it’s a in you region I say it’s definitely worth it. This will ultimately change the ranking list. Some programs will drop down significantly to their 70th rank or whatever because a lot more people are thinking this way now and likely more soap spots in my opinion but I could be wrong. If you’re reapplication then yes definitely go on everything you can even if it is in BFE

I’m very much in the favor of doing as many as you can because you don’t know what you will like. ... But if it’s a in you region I say it’s definitely worth it. This will ultimately change the ranking list. Some programs will drop down significantly to their 70th rank or whatever because a lot more people are thinking this way now and likely more soap spots in my opinion but I could be wrong. If you’re reapplication then yes definitely go on everything you can even if it is in BFE

If you say so. The data show otherwise. And if you want to end up at a specific place/region, why would you go on more interviews in different places? But whatever peels your banana dude.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190216-094316.jpg
    Screenshot_20190216-094316.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 174
If you say so. The data show otherwise. And if you want to end up at a specific place/region, why would you go on more interviews in different places? But whatever peels your banana dude.

That’s what I’m saying. You can go on as many as you want. I’m in favor of it because depending on the applicant, you might be socially awkward and have a lot of issues talking to people but are very bright. In addition some people have red flags and they need to go on more. It’s a gametime decision kind of thing you have to look at your application and at yourself and determine how many you need to go to. The match statistics are in favor of less than 12 interviews I will not argue that. But as more students come out of medical school competition will be fierce and people Will want to go on more just to be safe and I don’t fault them for that. At the end of the day you can only be at one program so it’s very person specific. I just don’t like how people chastise others for “ taking up all the interview spots”

That’s what I’m saying. You can go on as many as you want. I’m in favor of it because depending on the applicant, you might be socially awkward and have a lot of issues talking to people but are very bright. In addition some people have red flags and they need to go on more. It’s a gametime decision kind of thing you have to look at your application and at yourself and determine how many you need to go to. The match statistics are in favor of less than 12 interviews I will not argue that. But as more students come out of medical school competition will be fierce and people Will want to go on more just to be safe and I don’t fault them for that. At the end of the day you can only be at one program so it’s very person specific. I just don’t like how people chastise others for “ taking up all the interview spots”

Nobody is chastising anyone for taking up interview spots. Go on 50 interviews for all I care. It's just silly to do so given the stats.

And the solution to being socially awkward is not more interviews but interacting with people with the goal of not being socially awkward.

If you're a 'marginal' candidate and want to go on 30 interviews, by all means suit yourself. I just think it's very strange to do so.

User Name:aljoneil
License: DO
Region: southeast
Step 2:260+

1.MUSC
2.WAKE
3.WASHU
4.VCU
5.UTMB
6.CCF
7.Cinci
8.UK
9.Iowa
10.MCW
11.Rochester
12.UNMC
13.Loyola
14.WVU

Do away and get academic LOR
If you’re really 256/274 I can’t believe you didn’t get higher tier interviews.