2018-2019 SDN Anesthesia Rank Order List Anonymous Form

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
User Name:Saints Were Robbed
License: US-IMG
Region: Outside USA
Pubs:1
Step 1: 220s
Step 2: 230s
Level 1:-
Level 2:-
PE/CS: Pass
Programs:
1.Ochsner:
Pros - great clinical exposure, residents seem happy, CRNA's for learning and relief rather than other way around, excellent fellowship placements, excellent ancillary services, clinical rotations within 15 minute (~5 mile) radius, good work/life balance, location (fun city).
Cons - no trauma, fellows for CT, regional, transplant, pain. Location (relatively high cost of living, heat and humidity)

2. Drexel:
Pros - good clinical exposure, location (great city, good cost of living considering top 5 largest US cities), good population/food diversity in city, residents seem happy.
Cons - HCA owned (no PSLF), considered "worst" of Philly programs according doximity (depends on how much weight you put in this)

3.LSU:
Pros - Only level 1 trauma in New Orleans, excellent work/life balance, residents seem happy, location.
Cons - CRNA run hospital, far clinical sites for some rotations (they provide housing)

4. SUNY Downstate
5.SUNY Upstate (Syracuse)
6.UNMC Nebraska
7.Toledo
8.Tulane
9.UF - Gainesville
10.Rutgers Newark
11.Arkansas

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
User Name:Hrdrock
License: DO
Region: North West
Pubs:2-5
Step 1: 230s
Step 2: 240s
Level 1:650-700+
Level 2:650-700+
Programs:
1.U of Wisconsin:
Loved this program. Felt like I clicked with a lot of the residents. All the cases volume you could want since they cover nearly the whole region until you get to U of M or MCW. Midwest attitude where nobody is up tight and everyone gets along. Love the feel of the town (despite the winters), plenty to do between sports, biking, food, beer.

2. U of Arizona:
Also loved this place. Brand new hospital going up. They control that whole region so you get exposure to everything. Residents were all really laid back and sounded like they actually have lives outside the hospital. Great pain research if you're into that. Interviewing in a 70 degrees December is also nice.

3.Virginia Mason:
Closest to home. Really loved this program and was planning on ranking it #1, but my wife and I want to try something new and move out of state. Everyone was so nice here and you could tell that this is the absolute antithesis of a toxic work environment. Should absolutely be considered towards the top of anyone's list. Also, Seattle has everything you could ever want (at the expense of all your money). Rotations at Harborview for trauma and Seattle Children's for peds are a plus. Cons are that it's not a university, but I don't mind tha4. SUNY Downstate

4.Case Western:
Seemed like they had great case volume/exposure. No cardiac fellows so you get a lot of those cases. Really liked it here. Only drawbacks are the cold winters and Cleveland itself (which didn't seem that bad tbh.. plenty of cool places to eat, drink, watch a resurgent browns team lol).

5.UT Houston:
Plenty of cases to go around (can see why it's rumored as a work horse program), but honestly the residents didn't seem overworked. Cheap to live in Houston and there is moonlighting, so you can live like a king on your time off. Huge new trauma center going up, so the experience is there for the taking. Only reason it's down on my list is because my wife doesn't want to live in Houston.

6.Drexel:
Residents seemed happy. Bit of a different vide than I'm used to, being as it's on the other coast. Hospital is old and run down like a county hospital, still paper chart (although they're "making the transition to an EMR"). Residents said the hospital was just bought by a new company that will manage it better. Seemed like they had a good fellowship match list.

7.Allegheny:
Was pleasantly surprised after interviewing there. For a community program, it seems like you get exposure to pretty much everything. Residents all seemed happy there and I could see myself being happy there. Pittsburgh was a cool town. Nothing bad to say about it.

8.Rush:
Echo what everyone else says about it. Residents seemed guarded, but nice. Sounds like they get good clinical exposure (despite not having ANY trauma), but probably work more than most programs. Moonlighting available. While the chair and PD seemed nice, I'm not sure I jive with the attitude of "fellowship is a must". Even though they say they support residents who want PP jobs, I'm not sure I believe them with how many times we were told on interview day that you "have" to do a fellowship or you will basically be replaced by CRNAs in the future. I'm sure it'd be fine doing 4 years there, just like my other options better

Recommendations for future Applicants

DOs: Do an away rotation or two. Have good board scores and you will be surprised where you end up getting interviews. I think a lot of it depends on geography, but I'm sure a letter of intent early on would make a big difference. I applied to 35 and got 9 interviews, but only applied to cities where there was a university (so my wife could go to graduate school). So my list was already kind of self selected, but I'm happy with how it turned out. Feel free to PM me and I'll pay forward the advice I gathered from those before me and from my own experience.

Reactions: 1 users
User Name:-
License: USMD
Region: Midwest
Pubs:0
Step 1: 240s
Step 2: 250s
Programs:
1.UMichigan: Top 10 reputation, did an away here and loved everything about it. The department is always on their game, cares for residents, and is receptive to change. Residents are unionized and get great benefits and salary. The hospitals are top notch and the equipment is all updated due to the chair being into tech stuff.

2.Northwestern: Residents seemed to really enjoy being here. The new(er) PD is very nice and seems down-to-earth. It's in the heart of Chicago and the hospitals are exceptional so that's another huge plus.

3.UPMC: Really difficult not to rank it #2 but the only drawback is the city of Pittsburgh itself. There are absolutely no cons about the program itself. The residents all love it, hours are very good (55-60), intern year is chill and anesthesia-centered.

4.UChicago: Pros/reasons same as Northwestern. It was the only interview day with weird questions I've had out of 16. The inclusion of trauma and the location are the only two drawbacks.

5.Columbia: Incredible reputation and a great location. Residents work hard and I've heard that the nurses won't do you any favors at all.

6.Cleveland Clinic: Positives include the facilities, faculty, happy residents, and reputation. Intern year, according to the residents, is fairly nice. Hours are typical (55-65). Drawbacks: it's in Cleveland.

7.UWisconsin: Very very tempting to put Wiscy in my top 5. Madison is a gorgeous city with lovely people. The program is very well balanced. Even though the PD is new, everyone seems to love him and the direction he's taking the program. Residents' happiness was very evident on interview day.

8.OSU: The PD is amazing; very driven and has lofty goals for the program. Residents aren't worked to death; average hours around 60-65. Drawbacks: I don't like the Buckeyes and it's in Ohio:(

9. Rush: I wasn't too impressed with Rush, seems like a workhorse program.

10.MCW: I've gotten a weird vibe from the residents on my interview day. They all seemed tired and unenthusiastic to either be in the hospital or talk to us

11.Dartmouth: I was very impressed with this program. The faculty are all very friendly and supportive, the residents are happy. The facilities are also top notch. The location is beautiful but too secluded for my liking. If this program was somewhere in the midwest, I'd rank it higher.

12.Umaryland
13.Henry Ford
14. Beaumont
15.Montefiore
16.Stonybrook

Whoever's list this is can you PM me so I can get more info about Michigan?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys please reach out back to the peeps that ask you for advise or question about a program. Remember some of us may match at the same program, be a good future co - resident

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It's bull**** either way whether you're right or I'm right. I used to think the medical field was a meritocracy, what a joke. It's just as bad as other fields...
Lol if you are just NOW realizing that medicine breathes nepotism and connections, then I feel sorry for you in the long run.
You were so trigger by the potential idea of someone allegedly getting a boost by being a URM, yet all of SDN is plastered with the proof of nepotism.

One of the residents at Columbia had a 205 on step 1. Nothing special on their application beside the possible boost of URM

You never know who can end up where
Stop trolling. Unless you are the PD or chair, who are you to say what is “special” on someone’s application. If everything was based on what’s on paper, then what is the point of interviewing.

[stay professional]

Last edited by a moderator:
Long time lurker, first time poster. OP of the rank list everyone seems suspicious of given low board scores. I'm a US MD at a good school with a good anesthesia program. NO AWAYS; not an ethnic minority. Only posted my top 4 because that's where I'm hoping to land but I did get 14 interviews, went on 11 so I should be fine. I'm honestly shocked I got some of those places too; it honestly feels like a mistake at times. I think the biggest thing going for me is that I have strong, unique life experiences that I don't think many other people can say. I think that made me stand out to some of these recruitment committees despite my low board scores. Perhaps my LORs were strong too but no one has ever mentioned them so idk. Unlikely I'll match at any of the 4, but hey a kid can dream right? The chair at one of programs did email me saying he hopes to see me come June! If I'm fortunate enough to match at one of those 4, I might do a writeup for future applicants saying what made me stand out despite my low scores. Cheers.

PS. chromuffin, you doing right? Haven't seen you post in awhile.
hey! Doing well. Wish I could say I knew you! I’ve stayed away from posting a lot given my rotation now and the anxiety that comes with seeing all of the interviews people got.

Any thoughts on Case Western UH? Currently on warning, had a reputation for workhorse program in the past. Now, new PD and chair. The PD is young and awesome, they hired more CRNA/AA and attendings, added half day Weds for didactics (which were lacking in past), have a nice moonlighting set up. Huge facility and seems like they are taking the warning seriously and making the necessary changes. Seemed like a great program during my interview. Just wondering others thoughts in case I'm missing something?

User Name:
License:USMD
Region:Midwest
Pubs:5+
Step 1:220s
Step 2:250s
PE/CS:pass
Programs:
1.Upenn
2.Upmc
3.Stanford
4.WashU
5.Yale
6.Mcw
7.cleavland Clinic
8.UCincinnati
9.IU
10.osu
11.University of Rochester - NY
12.Rush

apply broadly & have fun

User Name:
License:-
Region:-
Step 1:-
Step 2:-
PE/CS-
Programs:
1.uk
2.UCincinnati
3.wake
4.tennessee
5.ohio state
6.uva
7.case westen UH
8.louisville

Members don't see this ad :)
Region: Midwest
Step 1: 210s
Step 2: 220s
PE/CS: -
Programs:
1.Cincinnati
Pros- wonderful small-sized, mid-tier program with a lot of faculty support. They endorse an education-first mentality and ensure you’re not overworked. Close-knit group of residents. Fellowships galore. In-house gym. Fantastic peds hospital!
Cons: a lot of residents stay in Cincinnati for fellowship; makes me wonder if they have poor connections throughout the country.

2.IU
Pros- Great program with a lot of exposure early on. They follow the “dive in head first” mentality and give you autonomy day one. Opportunities for fellowship exist due to the old PDs connections throughout the US despite lack of fellowship opportunities at IU. Minimal mid-level provider support so you aren’t fighting for cases.
Cons: Larger program with a tendency to take their own students first.

3.UIC
Pros- highly underrated program dwarfed by the other Chicago programs. Fellowship matches are fantastic for being a low/mid-tier program. Close-knit program between faculty and staff
Cons: Old facilities. Got the sense they are somewhat overworked. New PD that some residents didn’t seem excited about. Recruitment director was weird on interview day. Wife doesn’t like Chicago..

4.Louisville
Pros- first interview so its hazy. Program seemed to be very close-knit and excited for the upcoming changes to the program given the PD. Fellowship opportunities. Great, under appreciated city! Research opportunities.
Cons: Currently paper charting. Resident I ate with for dinner seemed super checked out from residency.

Apply to every program possible if you’re average or below average. It’s a ****-show when it comes to interviews.

User Name:
License:USMD
Region:Midwest
Step 1:220s
Step 2:250s
PE/CS:pass
Programs:
1.Upenn
2.Upmc
3.Stanford
4.WashU
5.Yale
6.Mcw
7.cleavland Clinic
8.UCincinnati
9.IU
10.osu
11.University of Rochester - NY
12.Rush

apply broadly & have fun
Goddamn, UPenn and Stanford really liked that research experience. You can assume it outweighed the Step 1 score for them

8.Cleveland Clinic
Pros: excellent clinical training with superb faculty, awesome facilities, great fellowship matches, great training for cardio
Cons: living in Cleveland, Cleveland sports teams

Excuse me, do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior, Baker Mayfield?

Reactions: 4 users
Region: south east
Programs:
1.Virginia Mason
wanted a very strong regional/pain experience. Prefered a smallish sized class. Not a ton of transplant but seemed overall well-rounded clinically with good fellowship match if you wanted something more specific. Culture of the program was awesome, couldnt find a nicer department. In downtown Seattle which is my new favorite city. COL high but worth it imo for the outdoors and gorgeous scenery. Would prefer to end up practicing on the west coast

2.Mount Sinai
PD was the most down to earth guy on the IV trail, seems like the perfect boss to have. Not shy about being a hard working program, but you get one of the best clinical experiences with extra $$. Perfect location literally on Central Park with guaranteed subsidized house (great for my pup). Will be 100% ok with not matching my number 1 for this prog

3.NYU -
heard the IV day would be weird but that residents all loved being there and were happy. Liked the PD and residents enough to overlook the awkward IV feel. Great location in Manhattan. Reputation as NY’s lifestyle program seems like it’s no longer the case.

4.NYU -
Brooklyn: From here and below location becomes the biggest factor in ranking for me. This is a gamble rank that I added late just because I decided I’d rather live in Brooklyn than any other of the places below. Hoping the NYU name carries over if I want to do a fellowship. IV for the Manhattan program counted for the BK program too and I felt relatively confident from my IV with the program director that I would get the Manhattan program if I fell down my list.

5.Montefiore
In the Bronx which is a con but they said a lot of residents commute from Manhattan. Great clinical experience with pretty sick patient population. Residents seemed happy and said their hours weren’t nearly as bad as other NY programs. Faculty I met were awesome.

6.University of Chicago
great program and would love to live in Chicago even with the commute to hospital outside downtown. IVs were alittle more stiff and awkward compared to other programs so I left with mixed feelings about it. Good overall program though

7.Baylor
awesome fellowship match, great hours CA1 year to study for boards. Houston is a fun city and close to family

8.UT Houston
another program where you work hard but are paid well. Liked it a lot

9.MUSC
Charleston is beautiful, good program but trying to leave the south

10.LSU
PD is another very down to earth guy. Bills itself as a lifestyle program which is a pro and con. Good trauma experience

11.Oschner
didn’t really click with the residents. Good program though. They like to sell the amount of livers they do but one of the residents admitted you don’t get a crazy amount of them like they make it seem.

12.Wake Forest
awesome program, experts in advanced airways. Winston-Salem is tiny though, looking for a larger city

13.UAB
another strong clinical program with excellent moonlighting. Location is the biggest drawback

Apply broadly. People are holding onto more interviews, didn’t really get any trickle downs

Step 2: 210s
Programs:
1.MGH
dream school. Loved the PD, the resident education theory, early autonomy, the personalities of residents at dinner. Work hours-wise, guaranteed to get out by 5 PM "95% of the time". Personal ties to the area. Plus, it's hard to beat the place where anesthesia was born.

2.BID
fantastic simulation center, tight-knit community, access to Harvard resources. Strong dedication to resident education. Everyone was really kind. Again, personal geographical ties.

3.UCSD
also felt very dedicated to training the residents. PD shared my values of women in anesthesia. Can't beat the location. Tour felt a little weird as they took us to parts of the hospital that were new and shiny, but completely empty.

4.Vanderbilt
favorite group of people. Really like having all the services in one hospital with a huge catchment area. Location kinda meh. Despite the multitude of CRNAs, residents confessed it's still a bit of a workhorse program.

5.OHSU
favorite PD. LOVE the location, both of the hospital on top of a hill as well as Oregon in general - feels like I'm smack-dab in the middle of nature. People had only good things to say about the program, though concerned about non-regional employability and longish hours. Heart transplant program recently closed down due to "disagreement with the surgeons".

6.Brigham
really wanted to like them more, but the culture felt very helicopter-mom. It's hard to pinpoint exactly, but I just did not click with the personalities and felt put off by the interview questions I was asked (5/6 asked "so how are you gonna rank all your schools?" Possibly the best didactics model, however. No livers.

7.Stanford
struggled with placement for this one. At the end of the day, the kindness of everyone I met and all the Stanford resources did not outcompete the cons, which for me are 1) extremely long hours and 2) extremely close to home. The latter went from being a blessing to an almost definite curse.

8.Columbia
I've lived in New York before, and as fun as that was, I realized that doing residency in New York is a whole different beast. You're broke and getting a full daily dose of NYC crap (the dirt, the subways, people congestion) with no time or energy to enjoy the good stuff. Presby felt like a third world hospital. That said, really like the new PD, and residents seemed nice

9.UCI
nice living location, but notably second-tier program. No transplants of any kind.

10.Brown
brand-new program with only a CA1 class currently. I liked their education model and commitment to never having fellows, and the PD-chair seemed nice and down-to-earth. Perhaps in a decade or so, Brown will be listed among the top programs, but right now it's not a risk I'm preferring to take.

11.UW
everything I learned about the program on IV day felt like a nightmare. Both the PD and residents confessed to "hitting the 80 hour workweek regularly", leaving them no time to study and causing below-average board pass rates as a result. Bleak, dreary weather, too many hospitals to rotate through. Residents seemed really unhappy.

12.NYU
all the things wrong about doing residency in New York I mentioned before, plus NYU felt second-tier compared to the other city schools. Culture was very "residents are expendable". Chief res confessed that didactics are terrible and he's tried multiple times to make them better, but the administration never cared enough. PD and chair did not want to meet me on IV day.

Write down notes about programs immediately after interviewing, or they all flow together. Remember that while quality of life is really important, at the end of the day residency is a 4-year training period to get you a job on the other end. Thus, between a school that has the best QOL with questionable employability and a school with pretty good QOL that will open every single career opportunity, I'd choose the latter without question. That said, being miserable for 4 years will not train you well, so don't get starry-eyed for the name if your gut just isn't in it.

Step 2: 210s
Programs:
1.MGH
dream school. Loved the PD, the resident education theory, early autonomy, the personalities of residents at dinner. Work hours-wise, guaranteed to get out by 5 PM "95% of the time". Personal ties to the area. Plus, it's hard to beat the place where anesthesia was born.

2.BID
fantastic simulation center, tight-knit community, access to Harvard resources. Strong dedication to resident education. Everyone was really kind. Again, personal geographical ties.

3.UCSD
also felt very dedicated to training the residents. PD shared my values of women in anesthesia. Can't beat the location. Tour felt a little weird as they took us to parts of the hospital that were new and shiny, but completely empty.

4.Vanderbilt
favorite group of people. Really like having all the services in one hospital with a huge catchment area. Location kinda meh. Despite the multitude of CRNAs, residents confessed it's still a bit of a workhorse program.

5.OHSU
favorite PD. LOVE the location, both of the hospital on top of a hill as well as Oregon in general - feels like I'm smack-dab in the middle of nature. People had only good things to say about the program, though concerned about non-regional employability and longish hours. Heart transplant program recently closed down due to "disagreement with the surgeons".

6.Brigham
really wanted to like them more, but the culture felt very helicopter-mom. It's hard to pinpoint exactly, but I just did not click with the personalities and felt put off by the interview questions I was asked (5/6 asked "so how are you gonna rank all your schools?" Possibly the best didactics model, however. No livers.

7.Stanford
struggled with placement for this one. At the end of the day, the kindness of everyone I met and all the Stanford resources did not outcompete the cons, which for me are 1) extremely long hours and 2) extremely close to home. The latter went from being a blessing to an almost definite curse.

8.Columbia
I've lived in New York before, and as fun as that was, I realized that doing residency in New York is a whole different beast. You're broke and getting a full daily dose of NYC crap (the dirt, the subways, people congestion) with no time or energy to enjoy the good stuff. Presby felt like a third world hospital. That said, really like the new PD, and residents seemed nice

9.UCI
nice living location, but notably second-tier program. No transplants of any kind.

10.Brown
brand-new program with only a CA1 class currently. I liked their education model and commitment to never having fellows, and the PD-chair seemed nice and down-to-earth. Perhaps in a decade or so, Brown will be listed among the top programs, but right now it's not a risk I'm preferring to take.

11.UW
everything I learned about the program on IV day felt like a nightmare. Both the PD and residents confessed to "hitting the 80 hour workweek regularly", leaving them no time to study and causing below-average board pass rates as a result. Bleak, dreary weather, too many hospitals to rotate through. Residents seemed really unhappy.

12.NYU
all the things wrong about doing residency in New York I mentioned before, plus NYU felt second-tier compared to the other city schools. Culture was very "residents are expendable". Chief res confessed that didactics are terrible and he's tried multiple times to make them better, but the administration never cared enough. PD and chair did not want to meet me on IV day.

Write down notes about programs immediately after interviewing, or they all flow together. Remember that while quality of life is really important, at the end of the day residency is a 4-year training period to get you a job on the other end. Thus, between a school that has the best QOL with questionable employability and a school with pretty good QOL that will open every single career opportunity, I'd choose the latter without question. That said, being miserable for 4 years will not train you well, so don't get starry-eyed for the name if your gut just isn't in it.
Would love a PM from this poster. Interested to know how you found out about Stanford’s long hours, the residents at dinner quoted me average hours and showed me their daily hours recording app.

Step 2: 260+
Programs:
1.STANFORD
- Pros: Palo Alto and whole Bay Area is beautiful and while expensive, has PERFECT weather and great food/hiking/biking options (plus Stanford has some of the highest pay in US); excellent clinical training with no weaknesses and brilliant, fun and personable residents and faculty; whole department has a focus on innovation and technology integration in the spirit of surrounding Silicon Valley; obviously fantastic.
CONS: Loooooooong hours (atleast until new hospital which may open later this year) and obviously cost of living

2.UCLA
- Pros: Los Angeles... need I say more; excellent all-around training and top notch faculty; strong department with plenty of resources and huge presence of anesthesia in hospital; easy access to desirable jobs/fellowships in the area and around the country; great work-life balance
Cons: cost of living and the traffic are LA's only downsides imo, traveling between different sites, pay is lower for COL compared to other programs (residents recently unionized)

3.CORNELL
- Pros: NYC and Manhattan... need I say more; excellent training, fun residents, department supports residents well; access to MSK/HSS as training sites and for fellowships;
Cons: somewhat of elitist vibe on IV day from faculty and long work hours; NYC can be a b**** to live in but still would be worth it for all the pluses imo

4.COLUMBIA
- Pros: despite being in Washington Heights, still in NYC and access to Manhattan... need I say more; outstanding reputation and training; fun residents; top options for fellowships/jobs; one of the best intern years in country... better than some TYs; new PD and chair are awesome, awesome people who have annihilated any reputation of Columbia being a malignant place to train, and are continuing to improve things for the residents
Cons: location higher up in Manhattan and resident overtime/housing benefits not as strong as Cornell's

5.UW
- Pros: excellent training with no overt weaknesses; residents are fun and outdoorsy type; great work-life balance (despite rumors online, multiple residents attested < 65 hr work weeks with plenty of weekends off); Seattle is a BEAUTIFUL city with gorgeous scenery and outdoor access while keeping the big city energy and amenities;
Cons: easy #1 on my list for location but several concerning things on IV day keep it lower such as -- huge program so residents sometimes feel anonymous (during tour, the chiefs didn't even acknowledge/recognize some CA-2s that walked by), residents not meeting #s as easily as other programs, ACGME warning, subpar board pass rates, weak didactics; Seattle while beautiful in summer has lots of cloudy/dreary days which could affect mood

6-7 BRIGHAM/MGH -
Idk, can't decide between the two; both have amazing clinical training and cool/smart/fun residents; felt cultures were more similar than apart and not the biggest fan of Boston; may lean towards Brigham because the vibe seemed a little less stuffy

8.WASH U
- Pros: top-notch clinical training, strong research, great faculty; affordable city Cons: didn't get the impression I can get jobs/fellowships anywhere in the country as easily as other schools on the coasts (where I want to settle); multiple residents told me they honestly average 70-75 hrs, which was the most of ANY program I came across on IV trail... I'd much rather work this hard at a place like Stanford or Cornell/Columbia versus WashU because Bay Area and NYC are way better for what I want than St. Louis is...

9.UPMC -
Pros: probably the best mix of amazing clinical training with resident wellness in the entire country; Cons: did not like Pittsburgh at all...

Reputation and strength of training is important but these anesthesia programs are much more similar than they are apart. Location ended up being much more important than I initially thought. Future applicants, apply broadly, invest in some credit card with good point deals early, and reaaaaallly think whether you can see yourself enjoying the location for 4 years. Whatever your priorities are (being close to family/outdoor activities/weather/traffic/cost-of-living/etc) will be a lot more important than prestige alone.

Would love a PM from this poster. Interested to know how you found out about Stanford’s long hours, the residents at dinner quoted me average hours and showed me their daily hours recording app.

It's common knowledge. Why would you need a daily hours recording app unless it's an issue? I've never even heard of such a thing before. Either way, top notch program and the time invested is worth it.

It's common knowledge. Why would you need a daily hours recording app unless it's an issue? I've never even heard of such a thing before. Either way, top notch program and the time invested is worth it.

I agree. If it’s a big name, it’s worth it. If it’s a low tier community program.... meh

I didn't get the feeling Stanford was all that workhorse either @TPT69 They certainly worked harder with the surgical volume meant for the added 17 or so ORs of the new hospital still operating through old hospital, but multiple residents said they averaged 60-65 hrs which was on par with MANY other programs on the trail, including some known for being "chiller".

I didn't get the feeling Stanford was all that workhorse either @TPT69 They certainly worked harder with the surgical volume meant for the added 17 or so ORs of the new hospital still operating through old hospital, but multiple residents said they averaged 60-65 hrs which was on par with MANY other programs on the trail, including some known for being "chiller".

60-65 hours of what though? Do you think everyone adds up their numbers the same way? Is it time you start setting up the room till drop off in pacu or relief? Does it start when the OR starts? When do people show up? Does it end when you’re done preopping? Are you expected to page your attending the night before through the entirety of residency? Do they call back? Do they never call back even if there is an issue? Are you expected to do random preops around the hospital when your cases are done? Do you get add ons? Does it include lecture? Would residents rather be in the OR or at lecture? Are lectures mandatory? Does the number include calls? Do residents actually know the number of calls they take? Do these numbers change depending on what rotation you’re on? Are the numbers exaggerated one way or the other by recency bias? Do residents routinely have annoying projects hanging over their head? Are these counted in the number? When people are discussing adult jobs, what does that number mean? Does the number include 2 hours of down time switching hospitals to take over someone else’s cases while you’re on call? Are you reimbursed for this travel time?

My advice, don’t focus on the number. I can’t imagine it’s anything other than meaningless. You interview at far too many places to get caught up in all the nuances. Go with your gut. Do residents seem tired or well rested? If there’s moonlighting, are they up to it, or do they dread the thought of more time at work/are forced to moonlight more than they’d like. Are residents laid back or uptight? Do they mind call or hate it?

Ladies and Gentlemen: this is a very stressful time in your life. Most of the programs (not all) listed here will give you adequate training to be a good anesthesiologist. If you are highly motivated then most will afford you the Chance to even become great.

Whether you match at number 1 or number 10 the key is to match period. That's why I always recommend a few interviews at programs where your stats are slightly above average for the program. For those with below average stats I recommend at least 12-14 interviews at programs where your stats are consistent with at least 1-2 residents currently working there.

Overall, you guys have done a good job in describing the programs. A few comments about "excellent" programs I consider to be mediocre were the exception. Remember, you have 3 years to master this field. You don't need a cushy program but rather one which will mold you into the type of attending that can do any case straight out of residency. That said, malignant programs are on the other extreme and are to be avoided.

Good luck

Reactions: 5 users
Ladies and Gentlemen: this is a very stressful time in your life. Most of the programs (not all) listed here will give you adequate training to be a good anesthesiologist. If you are highly motivated then most will afford you the Chance to even become great.

Whether you match at number 1 or number 10 the key is to match period. That's why I always recommend a few interviews at programs where your stats are slightly above average for the program. For those with below average stats I recommend at least 12-14 interviews at programs where your stats are consistent with at least 1-2 residents currently working there.

Overall, you guys have done a good job in describing the programs. A few comments about "excellent" programs I consider to be mediocre were the exception. Remember, you have 3 years to master this field. You don't need a cushy program but rather one which will mold you into the type of attending that can do any case straight out of residency. That said, malignant programs are on the other extreme and are to be avoided.

Good luck
Do you mind telling us which ones you consider to be mediocre?

Good luck

“Whether you match at number 1 or number 10 the key is to match.”

With all due respect, we need to DEAD this mentality. I didn’t spend 8 years post secondary school, work and study endlessly, invest a ton of money, sacrifice my youth to “just match”.
Practicing medicine is a privilege however having doctors available is also a privilege to society.
Yes, we need these jobs, but to be honest, the world needs us much more.
Medicine has brainwashed us to think that we literally need to die on the cross for this profession. And that we have to be happy with whatever we are given.
Ilet’s stop enabling that. In reality, if we weren’t so brainswashed into thinking that we should be so desperate for a slot anywhere, people would stop interviewing at 20+ programs that they don’t even want to be at.

Good luck

Thank you for the words of encouragement. It is nice to have an OGs view of things

Good luck
Will being a good anesthesiologist vs being a great one impact my paycheck? Seems like MGH trained anesthesiologists make the same as Baylor ones.

Will being a good anesthesiologist vs being a great one impact my paycheck? Seems like MGH trained anesthesiologists make the same as Baylor ones.

Perhaps not but it will influence your reputation. Those who are outstanding clinicians can get jobs with word of mouth referrals. I've found being a superstar opens up a lot of doors at even at my age.

Plus, why strive for mediocrity? Where is the fun in that? For someone about to start residency the desire to be as good as you can be should be a priority. I understand the world has changed a lot but being a superstar in residency will open up doors.

I'm not talking about arrogance. I'm referring to hard work, good attitude and the desire to be the best. Even an attending who most consider to be an idiot has something to teach you. Be open to new ideas and concepts. Learn as much as you can and develop good habits early on in terms of work ethic and personal interactions. Everyone has areas of weakness. With effort and time that weakness can become a strength.

I want you to be a superstar resident whether at MGH or Baylor. That's my point. This will lead to you being an outstanding clinician who can hold his or her own against anyone from anywhere.

“Whether you match at number 1 or number 10 the key is to match.”

With all due respect, we need to DEAD this mentality. I didn’t spend 8 years post secondary school, work and study endlessly, invest a ton of money, sacrifice my youth to “just match”.
Practicing medicine is a privilege however having doctors available is also a privilege to society.
Yes, we need these jobs, but to be honest, the world needs us much more.
Medicine has brainwashed us to think that we literally need to die on the cross for this profession. And that we have to be happy with whatever we are given.
Ilet’s stop enabling that. In reality, if we weren’t so brainswashed into thinking that we should be so desperate for a slot anywhere, people would stop interviewing at 20+ programs that they don’t even want to be at.

Wrong. Nobody owes you anything. The system couldn't care less how much time and effort you put in. The world doesn't need any single individual Anesthesiologist. We are all replaceable. So, yes I think you should be extremely happy to match at an approved residency program. There are literally hundreds of IMGs out there dying for Just such an opportunity.

Reactions: 7 users
Perhaps not but it will influence your reputation. Those who are outstanding clinicians can get jobs with word of mouth referrals. I've found being a superstar opens up a lot of doors at even at my age.

Plus, why strive for mediocrity? Where is the fun in that? For someone about to start residency the desire to be as good as you can be should be a priority. I understand the world has changed a lot but being a superstar in residency will open up doors.

I'm not talking about arrogance. I'm referring to hard work, good attitude and the desire to be the best. Even an attending who most consider to be an idiot has something to teach you. Be open to new ideas and concepts. Learn as much as you can and develop good habits early on in terms of work ethic and personal interactions. Everyone has areas of weakness. With effort and time that weakness can become a strength.
I'm not yet sure what choices I can make once I become an attending to maximize my compensation package to better reflect what I will bring to the table. But you're goddamn right that I need to aim to become as good as I can become as a resident. I suspect that the opportunity for improving/learning goes down drastically once you become an attending, as people tend to stick to safe options they are already familiar with. The next four years are my chance to acquire the tools I will be using for the rest of my career.

Edit: Pls be my attending in a few months :p

User Name:Blockafterblock
Region: South East
Programs:
1.Beth Israel
2. UIC Chicago
3.Omaha
4.UK
5.KU
6.Oklahoma City
7.Arkansas
8.Augusta
Would love to hear from this person as to why UIC is so high on their list. Especially over UK..

Just finishing up my time at Stanford (5 years - currently in a combined program), in terms of hours we are about average. More importantly though I think the quality and exposure of training here is amazing. Your time here will be well spent, in retrospect there is no where I would choose to train. Feel free to PM me if there are any specific concerns... otherwise please consider coming here, it's a place to grow and jump start your career in anesthesia, you won't regret it.

Just finishing up my time at Stanford (5 years - currently in a combined program), in terms of hours we are about average. More importantly though I think the quality and exposure of training here is amazing. Your time here will be well spent, in retrospect there is no where I would choose to train. Feel free to PM me if there are any specific concerns... otherwise please consider coming here, it's a place to grow and jump start your career in anesthesia, you won't regret it.

I agree with you. Stanford is an excellent program. But, I've met new grads from Cleveland Clinic, UPMC, Wash U, Michigan, Wake Forest, Duke, etc who are all outstanding clinicians. My point is there are many programs out there in the mid tier range which also offer excellent training for those who can't match at Stanford.

The interview and SDN should be fully utilized to find those gem programs with reasonable hours, solid didactics and outstanding clinical training. Many of you have rank lists which IMHO, clearly show you grasp this concept quite well.

Region: midwest
Programs:
1.Upenn
2.Washu
3.Michigan
4.Beth Israel
5.icah Mount Sinai
6.Baylor
7.Miami
8.Florida
9.Colorado
10.Jefferson
11.NYU

License: D.O.
Region: southwest
Step 2: 250s
Level 1:600-650
Level 2:650-700+
PE/CS: pass
Programs:
1.Wake Forest
Pros: Purposeful didactics and progression of rotations, great training, location, PD and staff were genuine, spouse support groups, purposeful intern year
Cons: further from family

2.Baylor Scott & White Pros:
camaraderie, moonlighting, low COL, great training, smaller program, spouse support groups, purposeful intern year
Cons: smaller town

3.University of Florida
Pros: great training, invested staff, previous experiences with staff, revamped intern year, spouse support groups
Cons: further from family

4.UTSA
5.University of Nebraska
6.Loma Linda
7.UT-Houston
8. University of Iowa
9.Cleveland Clinic

Region: southeast
Level 1:
Level 2:
Programs:
1. Dartmouth
: Pros - Hands down the nicest faculty I've met all trail. They have a commitment to know each applicant well, evidenced by the 30 minute interviews and small interview groups. Great focused CBY. They excel at cardiac and regional which interest me most. Absolutely clicked with the PD. I want to end up in a rural area, so the location seems like a great fit. Personalized feeling to the whole interview. Wife can own chickens which is all she wants in life.
Cons - No major transplants (I rationalize that this isn't a big deal for rural PP), not a diverse area (my medical Spanish won't be too useful), minimal moonlighting, some odd resident interactions.

2.UVA:
Pros - Does every case I can think of without OR fellows. Amazing wide exposure to anesthesiology. Big city program with a small city feel. Charlottesville is the coolest towns I've ever been to. Very supportive faculty. The best group of residents of any program. Awesome CBY integration.
Cons - Some odd politics with CRNAs and anesthesia department (they are two separate departments), slightly larger program than I want, some residents feel like they have a few too many non-educational cases. PD and I didn't seem to mesh that well. My #1 and #2 switch on the daily.

3.Utah: Pros - Huge cardiac focus with TEEs for days. Every resident starts with a butterfly IQ. The seem very focused on the future of the specialty. Supportive and intelligent faculty. In my home town so family support. Cons - Residents seemed overworked at dinner/interview day. Peds was a weakness. Advanced program (with either an ok TY or fairly bad IM year). CoL in SLC has gone loco. In my home town so too much family.

4.Oklahoma:
Pros - Very nice residents, great PD/APDs, had a great feel day of, new hospital coming soon, very focused/friendly intern year. COL insanely reasonable. Massive catchment area.
Cons - No interest in OKC. No real national reputation (I am probably putting more emphasis on this than I should). Wifey doesn't want to live there (I am probably not putting enough emphasis on this as I should).

5.Penn State:
Pros - Nice rural area, surprisingly large/nice hospital, large anesthesia department that seems well respected in the hospital. PD focused on making changes to improve the program. Great connection with residents at dinner/interview day. Loved my interviews with faculty. Reasonable CoL
Cons - While rural, there isn't as much outdoor adventuring as I would like. I don't like chocolate (this is a silly reason). Program felt large. Some residents say the cardiac fellows take good cases, some say it doesn't matter. Didn't strike me as amazing regional.

6.Brown:
Pros - I echo an above poster that this will likely become an amazing program one day. PD is almost obsessively focused on its success. Residents do great cases.
Cons - This is the only adv I applied to and I really don't want to do an IM year. Untested future since they only have CA-1s atm. Providence is nice but a bit too city for me.

7.U Rochester -
Solid program overall in a very undesirable location for us. Seemed like a kinda dying town. Didn't click with the new PD.

8.U Washington
-Super strong program but in a way too big city. Not having a yard would make me a sour man. COL and work hours seemed high. Too many hospitals to rotate through. Seems easy to get lost

9.Mayo Jax
Really did not drink the Mayo cool-aid and don't love the brand. It's a lovely hospital and they have money galore, but so many silly rules (full suit in Florida for intern year, are you joking?) that I just know it wouldn't work for me. Some real quirkadoodles at resident dinner.

Chase Sapphire Preferred card will pay for itself time and again. So many free lunches/dinners. Apply to more than you think you need, people are realizing that anesthesia is the last great medical specialty. Make sure to fill out hobbies/interests on ERAS, it's huge for interviews.

2.UVA:
Pros - Does every case I can think of without OR fellows. Amazing wide exposure to anesthesiology. Big city program with a small city feel. Charlottesville is the coolest towns I've ever been to. Very supportive faculty. The best group of residents of any program. Awesome CBY integration.
Cons - Some odd politics with CRNAs and anesthesia department (they are two separate departments), slightly larger program than I want, some residents feel like they have a few too many non-educational cases. PD and I didn't seem to mesh that well. My #1 and #2 switch on the daily.

lol wat

Region: southeast
Level 1:
Level 2:
Programs:
1. Dartmouth
: Pros - Hands down the nicest faculty I've met all trail. They have a commitment to know each applicant well, evidenced by the 30 minute interviews and small interview groups. Great focused CBY. They excel at cardiac and regional which interest me most. Absolutely clicked with the PD. I want to end up in a rural area, so the location seems like a great fit. Personalized feeling to the whole interview. Wife can own chickens which is all she wants in life.
Cons - No major transplants (I rationalize that this isn't a big deal for rural PP), not a diverse area (my medical Spanish won't be too useful), minimal moonlighting, some odd resident interactions.

2.UVA:

3.Utah: Pros - Huge cardiac focus with TEEs for days. Every resident starts with a butterfly IQ. The seem very focused on the future of the specialty. Supportive and intelligent faculty. In my home town so family support. Cons - Residents seemed overworked at dinner/interview day. Peds was a weakness. Advanced program (with either an ok TY or fairly bad IM year). CoL in SLC has gone loco. In my home town so too much family.

4.Oklahoma:
Pros - Very nice residents, great PD/APDs, had a great feel day of, new hospital coming soon, very focused/friendly intern year. COL insanely reasonable. Massive catchment area.
Cons - No interest in OKC. No real national reputation (I am probably putting more emphasis on this than I should). Wifey doesn't want to live there (I am probably not putting enough emphasis on this as I should).

5.Penn State:
Pros - Nice rural area, surprisingly large/nice hospital, large anesthesia department that seems well respected in the hospital. PD focused on making changes to improve the program. Great connection with residents at dinner/interview day. Loved my interviews with faculty. Reasonable CoL
Cons - While rural, there isn't as much outdoor adventuring as I would like. I don't like chocolate (this is a silly reason). Program felt large. Some residents say the cardiac fellows take good cases, some say it doesn't matter. Didn't strike me as amazing regional.

6.Brown:
Pros - I echo an above poster that this will likely become an amazing program one day. PD is almost obsessively focused on its success. Residents do great cases.
Cons - This is the only adv I applied to and I really don't want to do an IM year. Untested future since they only have CA-1s atm. Providence is nice but a bit too city for me.

7.U Rochester -
Solid program overall in a very undesirable location for us. Seemed like a kinda dying town. Didn't click with the new PD.

8.U Washington
-Super strong program but in a way too big city. Not having a yard would make me a sour man. COL and work hours seemed high. Too many hospitals to rotate through. Seems easy to get lost

9.Mayo Jax
Really did not drink the Mayo cool-aid and don't love the brand. It's a lovely hospital and they have money galore, but so many silly rules (full suit in Florida for intern year, are you joking?) that I just know it wouldn't work for me. Some real quirkadoodles at resident dinner.

Chase Sapphire Preferred card will pay for itself time and again. So many free lunches/dinners. Apply to more than you think you need, people are realizing that anesthesia is the last great medical specialty. Make sure to fill out hobbies/interests on ERAS, it's huge for interviews.

Very good post except for one sentence near the end. We can agree to disagree on that point.

I agree with you. Stanford is an excellent program. But, I've met new grads from Cleveland Clinic, UPMC, Wash U, Michigan, Wake Forest, Duke, etc who are all outstanding clinicians. My point is there are many programs out there in the mid tier range which also offer excellent training for those who can't match at Stanford.

The interview and SDN should be fully utilized to find those gem programs with reasonable hours, solid didactics and outstanding clinical training. Many of you have rank lists which IMHO, clearly show you grasp this concept quite well.

What are your thoughts on Nebraska in Omaha?

What are your thoughts on Nebraska in Omaha?

This thread is about the med students who have interviewed at programs and their opinions. If i opine it will be after the med student interviews and formulates his/her own opinion: Did you "gel" there, COL, location, didactics, cases, call, intern year, fellowship chances, significant other's opinion, etc.

If you like Omaha then go interview and tell me what you think. IMHO, that SHOULD be a solid mid tier type program. But, what was your impression post interview?

This thread is about the med students who have interviewed at programs and their opinions. If i opine it will be after the med student interviews and formulates his/her own opinion: Did you "gel" there, COL, location, didactics, cases, call, intern year, fellowship chances, significant other's opinion, etc.

If you like Omaha then go interview and tell me what you think. IMHO, that SHOULD be a solid mid tier type program. But, what was your impression post interview?

Good call. Post interview I was pretty impressed. Felt their work life was spot on and their cardiac was excellent. Only relative deficiency was obgyn- though they were pretty open about it...also idgaf about obgyn as long as I get my numbers.

Good call. Post interview I was pretty impressed. Felt their work life was spot on and their cardiac was excellent. Only relative deficiency was obgyn- though they were pretty open about it...also idgaf about obgyn as long as I get my numbers.

I also liked Nebraska when I interviewed there a few yrs ago. Ranked it #5 but seriously considered ranking it higher. Sometimes wish I had.

Region: midwest
Programs:

1.Vanderbilt
Pros: People. Reputation. Benefits (moving fund, paid between 4-8pm as 2nd half CA-1, etc)
Cons: Bigger class for me at 18. Nashville. Longer hours

2.Dartmouth
Pros: People. Location.
Cons: Location - Expensive housing. Didn't fill in recent years. Not actually making my decisions off this but you have to take vacation in 2 week block

3.UVA
Pros: Reputation. Few fellows - residents do more cases. Location.
Cons: Schedule - change every week. Benefits weak (don't pay for Step 3, not terribly generous education fund).

4.Wake
Pros: Reputation. Location. Hours
Cons: Older hospital.

5.UNC
Pros: People. Location.
Cons: Attendings seemed detached from residents. Duke just down the road.

6.WashU
Pros: Residents.
Cons: STL. Long hours

7.Virginia Mason
Pros: LOVED PD
Cons: move around a lot - residents don't see each other that often as a result. Seattle is $$

8.Utah
Pros: Reputation. Chair
Cons: SLC is weird. Long hours

9.NYU
10.yale

License: D.O.
Region: -
Pubs:-
Step 1: Pass
Step 2: Pass
Level :pass
Level 2:pass
PE/CS:
Programs:
1.Sinai St. Lukes/Sinai West.
Pros: Great exposure, fantastic PD, very down-to-earth and friendly residents. Residents are close with attendings. Very solid regional experience. Promising fellowship matches. Great part of NYC. Subjectively a perfect size residency for me.
Cons: COL in NYC

2.Georgetown.
Pros: Great facilities, awesome residents, felt a very friendly welcoming atmosphere throughout interview day, DC is a sweet city. I liked the 2+2 approach.
Cons: Georgetown area kinda expensive. No moonlighting

3.UChicago.
Pros: Insanely nice facilities, very scholarly atmosphere with attendings from top institutions, residents seemed very competent in their abilities and were very friendly, Chicago is a fantastic city, great fellowship matches
Cons: New Level 1 status has resulted in longer hours, though allegedly new CRNA hours are helping mediate this. Technically out of the city about 15 min, take that for what it's worth. Current weather in Chicago is not attractive lol. Regional was admiringly weaker, but they apparently brought in new attendings that want to put more of an emphasis on it.

4.UAB.
Pros: Surprisingly loved it here. Clearly solid program, great moonlighting, residents love everything about program. I actually liked Birm more than I thought I would. PD was obviously a huge advocate of her residents. Extremely cheap COL. Food was very cheap in hospital
Cons: Birm, AL a negative in some sense for some people.

5.Penn State Hershey.
Pros: Solid program and integrated set-up. Very progressive 2+2 type curriculum. Anesthesia has very large presence in the hospital. Residents love being there, COL is unreal how cheap it is. Nice facilities and children hospital is undergoing more renovation.
Cons: quite rural, I personally didn't check out Harrisburg though. Weather in central PA can be meh

6.Rush
7.Drexel
8. Suny Upstate
9.Kusm-wichita

DO advice: do away rotations for sure