2018-2019 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Looks like it and super excited!

For current students, I see a lot of people are selling their textbooks on the Facebook page and I am wondering if it's worth it to buy them? I heard there is a certain link that may or may not have some textbooks, can anyone comment on this? If I can get them as PDFs for free I'd much rather do that. I'm already dreading spending $600 on the med kit lol
Omg, can you please DM me! Let's be Facebook friends!

Members don't see this ad.

I was gifted an older otoscope/ophtalmoscope kit that works just fine and I got a BP cuff off Amazon fairly cheap. Make sure that cuff has the three sizes you need.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I was wondering if I could be added to the Joplin facebook group? In case anyone with the power to do so was lurking here. Thanks!

Hi, I was wondering if I could be added to the Joplin facebook group? In case anyone with the power to do so was lurking here. Thanks!
You just have to request to be added. The admins will confirm you've been accepted before okaying your request.

I am sure it has been answered but I just wanted some reassurance. We do not need to spend the $600+ on the opthalmoscope or otoscope do we? Also on the BP cuffs would the cheaper one suffice? Trying to only spend tons of money on the absolute necessities.
I didn't even get the BP stuff. You use it for one lab, you get checked off on vital signs and then you are provided BP's on every SP after that.

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't even get the BP stuff. You use it for one lab, you get checked off on vital signs and then you are provided BP's on every SP after that.
I saw somewhere we’d need them for score one?

Looks like financial aid have been released. Do people generally take the full amount? If not how do I reduce it?

Looks like financial aid have been released. Do people generally take the full amount? If not how do I reduce it?
When you accept it I think there's the option, or you can return it after its disbursed within X time without interest

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you get an email notifying you of your award?

I didn't get an email personally, so I checked up at the KCU net partner website and saw that I received the aid. Guess they take time to send the emails lol

I didn't get an email personally, so I checked up at the KCU net partner website and saw that I received the aid. Guess they take time to send the emails lol

Gotcha. Now I just gotta wait until I get home, bummer lol

When you accept it I think there's the option, or you can return it after its disbursed within X time without interest

Yeah that’s how it was for undergrad but didn’t see the option for kcu. But I’m looking at it from my phone so maybe that’s why

Just checked my aid info, rip $76k in loans. Disappointed but not surprised

Like I would give up my spot here. I've been working towards this for 10 years now. I'm not backing out.
This is your last chance to back out. You'd better be sure this is what you want!

Reactions: 4 users
Like I would give up my spot here. I've been working towards this for 10 years now. I'm not backing out.
I wasn't trying to discourage you, I promise! I'm glad you're all coming, though I'm having a hard time believing I'm near the end of my first year already.

Can anyone DM me on how much the average student takes out. I will not have any family support either and I am not worried about taking out loans but I want to make sure I am going to take out enough but not too much.

Can anyone DM me on how much the average student takes out. I will not have any family support either and I am not worried about taking out loans but I want to make sure I am going to take out enough but not too much.

Same here! If someone answers you, please let me know also!

Just noticed you’re a fellow Texan also!

Only the estimated financial aid is out. They still have to do credit checks first. You will then receive an email that will allow you to go on and accept whatever amount you need.

Only the estimated financial aid is out. They still have to do credit checks first. You will then receive an email that will allow you to go on and accept whatever amount you need.

Oh ok! That makes more sense

Quick question for current students. We have our tentative block schedule for this fall and on Mondays and Tuesdays from 1-5 we have SP and HPS scheduled. Is that something we have every week? Or do we have a good amount of those scheduled blocks off? I know we won’t have standardized patients every week, but I don’t know what HPS is and how often we do it. Thanks!

Quick question for current students. We have our tentative block schedule for this fall and on Mondays and Tuesdays from 1-5 we have SP and HPS scheduled. Is that something we have every week? Or do we have a good amount of those scheduled blocks off? I know we won’t have standardized patients every week, but I don’t know what HPS is and how often we do it. Thanks!
HPS is Human Patient Simulation. They are blocking those out To reserve those times for the weeks you need them. In that respect, they're trying to minimize conflicts between labs.

Does anyone have a more readable/ understandable version of our anticipated Fall schedule? I wasn't able to attend Accepted Students Day and the schedule they just sent out is not super clear. Thanks!

I think it’s a general schedule or template that they’ll use to schedule our classes. As I understand it, we get a more detailed one on our iPads

Does anyone have a more readable/ understandable version of our anticipated Fall schedule? I wasn't able to attend Accepted Students Day and the schedule they just sent out is not super clear. Thanks!
I can explain it. Feel free to ask here or DM

I took out the full amount. Easier to return than take out more. I submitted a budget adjustment for a computer and still havent gotten the money 3 weeks later

HPS is Human Patient Simulation. They are blocking those out To reserve those times for the weeks you need them. In that respect, they're trying to minimize conflicts between labs.

Thank you for explaining this. I now during accepted students day they said we have about 3 SP’s per semester in first year and maybe 2 simulations if I’m not mistaken? I’m glad they blocked this out to avoid conflict, though.

Thank you for explaining this. I now during accepted students day they said we have about 3 SP’s per semester in first year and maybe 2 simulations if I’m not mistaken? I’m glad they blocked this out to avoid conflict, though.
We did 5 SP's(as well as two others that were doubled up, one did HPI, one did PE) last semester. I don't think we did any simulations besides our vitals sign check off. There's also a few PCM competencies that will involve a SP

Financial Aid is out now for you to accept, reduce, or decline awards. God speed because our future wallets hurt now.

I am sure it has been answered but I just wanted some reassurance. We do not need to spend the $600+ on the opthalmoscope or otoscope do we? Also on the BP cuffs would the cheaper one suffice? Trying to only spend tons of money on the absolute necessities.
You can get a much cheaper set on eBay. Just get a welch allyn. I really liked the macroview on my otoscope.

I don't know if this was already asked but can a current first year let me know how the health insurance works and how much your monthly premium is?

Reactions: 1 users
Out of curiosity, did anyone here get any scholarships/grants? Or did you all just get hella loans like me?

I got a scholarship, but they had told me about it back when I was accepted

Didn’t even know they had scholarships lol but gotcha yeah that makes sense. I was accepted pretty late so they probably sent out all of their aid by then

Got my fin aid email. Looking forward to being debt slaves with rest of you lads :p

Out of curiosity, did anyone here get any scholarships/grants? Or did you all just get hella loans like me?

I’m on that 76,042 train for life! Well, for this year at least. Then my wife is paying all of our living expenses. But I feel your pain. Clicking “accept all” stung. We’ll be broke together.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know if this was already asked but can a current first year let me know how the health insurance works and how much your monthly premium is?
Health insurance is $207 (I believe, I know it's 200-and-something lol) a month for a single individual. You can pay per semester or for the whole year.

Health insurance is $207 (I believe, I know it's 200-and-something lol) a month for a single individual. You can pay per semester or for the whole year.

Yikes scoob. Is that included in the COA that they sent us, or is it separate?

2nd year here. KCU just began offering health insurance this past year. Through the Missouri health marketplace I was paying $467/mo for Cigna silver level with a $7000 deductible. With KCU insurance, the price works out to $207/mo with a $250 deductible with Blue Cross Blue Shield with comparable if not better coverage. You will have to pay for it per semester but it is included as part of your living expenses for financial aid.

If you already have health insurance through your parent or spouse, it has to be meet certain requirements and then you can fill out the form to opt out of the school’s insurance.

Coverage Requirements for All Students Seeking to Waive:
- Insurance company must be operated and based in the United States
- ACA compliant plan
- $3,000 deductible or less (for individuals)
- Unlimited plan maximum
- Valid in Kansas or Missouri (no out of state Medicaid or HMO plans)

If you lose your parent’s coverage, in the middle of the semester, you have a qualifying life event to enroll in the school’s health plan.

Reactions: 3 users
2nd year here. As for buying an otoscope/ophthalmoscope, you will need it a lot 2nd year. Arguably, you could probably get away with not having one first year by borrowing a classmate’s who is not in your lab group but you will definitely need one for Score 1 physicals during 2nd year. During fall, it felt like we did Score 1 every other week. You don’t need to buy the super nice expensive ophthalmoscope but the standard one should be ok. Some guys I know who bought a cheap one off Amazon were asking to borrow a classmate’s Welch Allyn or Heine otoscope because theirs didn’t work as well. Others are fine with buying the cheaper one on Amazon. If you’re looking to save, I’d also check eBay. You will be able to sell your Med kit if you want to recoup some/most of your money so please at least look into a proper otoscope/ophthalmoscope- yes, you do need both (usually comes as a set).

As for the different sized BP cuffs, you will need them once or twice during Score 1 if you are doing BP. Sometimes, they have extras but you need the diff sizes for the kiddos.

Reflex hammer is handy but you can use your cellphone if you’re in a pinch. There’s usually a reflex hammer in the SP exam rooms but they’re nice to have during Score 1 physicals for sanitary reasons.

Stethoscope is a must have!

You can use whatever bag you want to put your gear in.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your time before Med school becomes your life!

Reactions: 6 users