2018-2019 Cooper Medical School of Rowan University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Silence, but only complete 9/5. Did get the in-review email.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder what the “in review” message is for then.

I'm not going to read the tea leaves as I don't think it does more than add anxiety, but I guess they're a little slower for some people as I'm only a few days back, or perhaps they put me in a maybe pile for a later II. Who knows *shrugs* just take it at face value.

I'm not going to read the tea leaves as I don't think it does more than add anxiety, but I guess they're a little slower for some people as I'm only a few days back, or perhaps they put me in a maybe pile for a later II. Who knows *shrugs* just take it at face value.
Agreed :) Hopefully we hear something good soon!

Does anybody remember what the administration said in regards to needing a car?

Does anybody remember what the administration said in regards to needing a car?

You do not need a car (definitely a good thing to have) if you live across the street or relatively close to the PATCO. Living in Camden has challenges with food, but you can always get people together and carpool/uber to a market. If you live anywhere inside of Camden, security can pick you up and take you back provided you give them notice (that goes for anywhere in Camden City limits).

The further out of Camden you go, the more a car would be helpful. And for satellites, it would be helpful in getting to Cherry Hill, etc. But you can always uber up there.

Does this help?

Last edited:
You do not need a car if you live across the street or relatively close to the PATCO. Living in Camden has challenges with food, but you can always get people together and carpool/uber to a market. If you live anywhere inside of Camden, security can pick you up and take you back provided you give them notice (that goes for anywhere in Camden City limits).

The further out of Camden you go, the more a car would be helpful. And for satellites, it would be helpful in getting to Cherry Hill, etc. But you can always uber up there.

Does this help?

Maybe I'm just lazy, but I would hate not having a car in South Jersey. I didn't have a car for like 6 months after I moved back from NY, and it sucked.

Maybe I'm just lazy, but I would hate not having a car in South Jersey. I didn't have a car for like 6 months after I moved back from NY, and it sucked.

Yeah I’d say most people who live in Camden and the SJ suburbs have a car, but most people who live in philly get along pretty well without one the first 2 years. So it basically depends on where you live. Also during 3rd and 4th year, you may have out patient rotations that are at offices in cherry hill or voorhees so you’ll probably want a car by then

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I’d say most people who live in Camden and the SJ suburbs have a car, but most people who live in philly get along pretty well without one the first 2 years. So it basically depends on where you live. Also during 3rd and 4th year, you may have out patient rotations that are at offices in cherry hill or voorhees so you’ll probably want a car by then

^^^ Let's ignore the test together by helping people on SDN XD

Reactions: 2 users
Just to keep people's WL hopes alive, I got in here off the waitlist last May (M1 now).
For real. These neoplasms from Pandey got me like
I hate how I can't listen to Pandey any faster than 1x. God bless Kocher during that app session for narrating.

Just to keep people's WL hopes alive, I got in here off the waitlist last May (M1 now).

I hate how I can't listen to Pandey any faster than 1x. God bless Kocher during that app session for narrating.
They made us work for this break lmao

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SDN mobile

Were you on the priority waitlist? Also when did you get off the waitlist if you do not mind sharing.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi!

Apologies if this has already been answered, but can you talk a little about any of the following:
-Is Camden area a food desert and are there any student-led initiatives around this issue
-any opportunities to get involved in opioid use reduction projects or addiction (I'm not sure how big of an issue it is in Camden, but I'm assuming somewhat)
-any mental illness/psychiatry project/highlights - especially any that involve patients who might have been involved in the criminal justice system or foster care

Just got an II today - and excited about this school.

Thank you!

Positives:
-Non-mandatory lectures
-ALG really helps to solidify course material; able to receive insight from attending physicians early in the game
-Clinic. Being able to help members of the Camden community is just an incredible experience
-Plenty of service learning opportunities
-"Small" feel. Everyone knows your name and you get to know all of your classmates (which of course, isn't always a good thing)
-Hospital is welcoming. You can shadow whenever you want in whatever specialty you want.
-Early patient exposure. I feel as though I have learned much more than students at other schools.
Negatives:
-Satellite rotations can be disorganized. Not a huge deal, but they are at odd times during the day and you often just end up sitting there (which can be a positive...more time to study).
-If you like a 'big campus' feel, this isn't the place for you
-Scholars Workshop is a class held once per week that is just a complete waste of time and it couldn't be taught by a worse professor. However, the lecture is not mandatory (small sessions are mandatory) and the material is really easy. Some people complain about FMP lecture as well...but as they say, "they can't all be winners".

Overall, I've really enjoyed my time here and I know that I am receiving a fantastic education (at the end of the day, you get out what you put into it). I feel as though we are a lot less stressed than students at other schools and we have a lot of opportunities to excel (our match list has never been less than great). If you have any more questions, just let me know.

Best of luck!

Hi!

Apologies if this has already been answered, but can you talk a little about any of the following:
-Is Camden area a food desert and are there any student-led initiatives around this issue
-any opportunities to get involved in opioid use reduction projects or addiction (I'm not sure how big of an issue it is in Camden, but I'm assuming somewhat)
-any mental illness/psychiatry project/highlights - especially any that involve patients who might have been involved in the criminal justice system or foster care

Thank you!
Complete date? IS or OOS?

Hi, could you please share a bit more on how students are able to provide feedback to administration regarding project improvement and process improvement-type things. how receptive are they?

Also, can you share your top 1-2 favorite service experiences/opportunities while at Cooper? Thank you!

Nice, I grew up in Voorhees. Don't get me wrong, it still has some very seedy parts, but there has been a ton of improvement in the Rutgers and Cooper campuses and many neighborhoods of the city. The Cooper campus has close to tripled in size since 2008 with the new hospital, MD Anderson Cancer Center, CMSRU, and now the 2 new research complexes and conference center that are currently under construction. Part of attending this school is buying into the mission and truly committing to being part of the change instead of fearing the past. For people who want to be part of the status quo, then this school is not necessarily for you. If you're into shaping the future, not just your own, but that of the surrounding community and the landscape of medicine as a whole, then it is 100% for you. I turned down an acceptance at a top 15 for Cooper and have not regretted it.

(Just in case anyone was having doubts about it being a "new" school)

Hi!

Thank you!

Congrats on the II!

1) I’m a student who doesn’t live in Camden, but from what I hear, there’s not really any grocery stores in walking distance but there’s a bunch within a 10 min drive or so. There’s dominos McDonald and rite aid right next to the school though for what’s that worth

2) we actually just partnered with the Coriell institute and launched the “Camden opioid research initiative” which is a huge effort to investigate the biological and genetic correlations of addiction. I’m sure you can find more info with a quick google search.

3) Yeah, this is probably one of largest research areas, looking a biopsychosocial determinants of health care disparities.

As for my experience, I really love the street medicine program where we go out and provide resources and healthcare to the homeless population. That’s my big service contribution. We also do a lot of consulting on opioid addiction since there are a lot of users, so that may be of interest to you.

These are all definitely good things to ask about on interview day. Good luck!

Amazing! Thank you so much for your response.

As for living outside Camden - how many students live in the Philly area and how easy is it to get to/from. I grew up in cities and can't drive. So, ideally, wouldn't want to have to buy a car and learn all that in the first year or so.

Congrats on the II!

1) I’m a student who doesn’t live in Camden, but from what I hear, there’s not really any grocery stores in walking distance but there’s a bunch within a 10 min drive or so. There’s dominos McDonald and rite aid right next to the school though for what’s that worth

2) we actually just partnered with the Coriell institute and launched the “Camden opioid research initiative” which is a huge effort to investigate the biological and genetic correlations of addiction. I’m sure you can find more info with a quick google search.

3) Yeah, this is probably one of largest research areas, looking a biopsychosocial determinants of health care disparities.

As for my experience, I really love the street medicine program where we go out and provide resources and healthcare to the homeless population. That’s my big service contribution. We also do a lot of consulting on opioid addiction since there are a lot of users, so that may be of interest to you.

These are all definitely good things to ask about on interview day. Good luck!

Amazing! Thank you so much for your response.

As for living outside Camden - how many students live in the Philly area and how easy is it to get to/from. I grew up in cities and can't drive. So, ideally, wouldn't want to have to buy a car and learn all that in the first year or so.

I actually live in the NJ suburbs, but I’d say the distribution is probably 1/3 Camden, 1/3 philly, 1/3 suburbs. There’s a patco (train station) right next to the school too so people from philly have it pretty easy as long as they don’t live far from a station in the city!

I was also complete 9/4, is it safe to assume that I won’t be hearing back?

Accepted!!!!!!!!!!! 12/14 interview date!! Easily one of the best days of my life

Reactions: 3 users
I was also complete 9/4, is it safe to assume that I won’t be hearing back?
Similar situation. Submitted my secondary application on 8/12, radio silence since. Can anyone provide information regarding rejections throughout the cycle or at the end?

Similar situation. Submitted my secondary application on 8/12, radio silence since. Can anyone provide information regarding rejections throughout the cycle or at the end?
I read through last years thread and it seems like it’s all R at the end. Also it seems like once they pass a particular date of completion, they don’t go back. At least that’s what I think I was seeing when I read last years thread for cooper.

Did you get accepted off the regular or priority waitlist??

For any current med students: is there usually a lot of movement off the waitlist, and are there actually two different waitlists? The waitlist email seems encouraging but not sure if I should take that at face value.

How are you guys submitting updates? I was looking over the FAQs and saw this "Mid-cycle grade updates or additional activity statements are not accepted." Wouldn't sending an update put you at a disadvantage?

Surprise II today! LM70, IS, complete 9/3, received “still in review” email on 11/13.
Congrats!! I have roughly the same LM score and completion date. I'm still waiting on an II/some kind of news :( Do you mind sharing your ec's if you don't mind me asking?

Is there still hope for IIs, and what is the dead line for IIs, any current MD student may response to it. Thanks

Is there still hope for IIs, and what is the dead line for IIs, any current MD student may response to it. Thanks
Doesn't really answer the question well, but we were told that they have a good amount of weeks still to interview.

Hello! My ec’s focused on biochem research and educational leadership + advocacy for a vulnerable population (keeping it vague). Americorps, low-SES. I have longitudinal compensated leadership experience w a specific vulnerable population w/ lower levels of non-clinical volunteering.

I am sending good energy your way!
thanks!! hope all goes well for you