2018-2019 Cooper Medical School of Rowan University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For any current students, do you have any input regarding how students like the curriculum? How often do you have exams and how long is the dedicated study period for USMLE?
Thanks!
You can find our old schedules online. Search CMSRU academic calendar.

I love it. Some people don't care for anatomy all at the end of 1st year, then mixed in with the blocks in 2nd year.

I'd say a great majority of the class enjoys the way Cooper teaches. It's a lot, bit they chunk it well. Sometimes you get funny little glitches and you'd think, "why is this in this block?", but in the end, it makes sense. I think they do a good job of teaching to step. Not everything, but a lot.

Exams at the end of every block. Then sprinkle in FMP and Scholars exams (about 4 each throughout the year).

Using the calendar online, you could see how long dedicated is!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You can find our old schedules online. Search CMSRU academic calendar.

I love it. Some people don't care for anatomy all at the end of 1st year, then mixed in with the blocks in 2nd year.

I'd say a great majority of the class enjoys the way Cooper teaches. It's a lot, bit they chunk it well. Sometimes you get funny little glitches and you'd think, "why is this in this block?", but in the end, it makes sense. I think they do a good job of teaching to step. Not everything, but a lot.

Exams at the end of every block. Then sprinkle in FMP and Scholars exams (about 4 each throughout the year).

Using the calendar online, you could see how long dedicated is!

Thanks, this is helpful. What are the FMP and Scholars exams? I'm not familiar with those.

Sorry if this was asked earlier, but what is the attendance policy? I heard that the lectures are recorded and on my interview day I met an M2 who said he hasn’t gone to lecture in a year (lol) that he watches all the lectures at home, can someone speak more to this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, this is helpful. What are the FMP and Scholars exams? I'm not familiar with those.
Hello,

FMP = Foundations of medical practice. The "doctoring" course where you learn how to do certain things. OSCEs are technically a part of this course.

Scholars = For M1s, it's basically a statistics course. With readings, etc.

Sorry if this was asked earlier, but what is the attendance policy? I heard that the lectures are recorded and on my interview day I met an M2 who said he hasn’t gone to lecture in a year (lol) that he watches all the lectures at home, can someone speak more to this?
Hello,

You'll know if something is mandatory from day 1. It's on the schedules. You'll also know what's not recorded. It's on the schedule.

All lectures that are recorded are put online, then you can watch them any speed. I agree with the M2. I was always the person who thought I was wasting tuition by not going, and even I stopped going fairly early on. Just too convenient.

Scholars is required.

Would love to hear from anyone who got admitted applying as OOS w/o ties to New Jersey. If that is you- were your stats close to their medians or above? I'm interested in applying but I'm wondering if the minuscule % of OOS applicants accepted all have ties to NJ. Thanks!

Would love to hear from anyone who got admitted applying as OOS w/o ties to New Jersey. If that is you- were your stats close to their medians or above? I'm interested in applying but I'm wondering if the minuscule % of OOS applicants accepted all have ties to NJ. Thanks!
Rising M2. I'm OOS with good grades, etc.

Cooper loves their mission. If you can jive with that and communicate that very effectively, you're gold. If you're genuinely here to work and connect and help the community (b/c you want to, not b/c you have to), they'll love you, even as OOS.

And I literally have no ties to Jersey.

Rising M2. I'm OOS with good grades, etc.

Cooper loves their mission. If you can jive with that and communicate that very effectively, you're gold. If you're genuinely here to work and connect and help the community (b/c you want to, not b/c you have to), they'll love you, even as OOS.

And I literally have no ties to Jersey.
Were your stats above their median or around the same?

I had zero ties to NJ and got in, my GPA was below and MCAT was higher than their median -- pretty average candidate numbers-wise. But similar to what the person above me said, I really feel numbers are secondary in their eyes, they moreso want people who really fit their mission. I was extremely surprised when I got an interview, so I'd say you should just apply! You never know.

I kno
Positives:
-Non-mandatory lectures
-ALG really helps to solidify course material; able to receive insight from attending physicians early in the game
-Clinic. Being able to help members of the Camden community is just an incredible experience
-Plenty of service learning opportunities
-"Small" feel. Everyone knows your name and you get to know all of your classmates (which of course, isn't always a good thing)
-Hospital is welcoming. You can shadow whenever you want in whatever specialty you want.
-Early patient exposure. I feel as though I have learned much more than students at other schools.
Negatives:
-Satellite rotations can be disorganized. Not a huge deal, but they are at odd times during the day and you often just end up sitting there (which can be a positive...more time to study).
-If you like a 'big campus' feel, this isn't the place for you
-Scholars Workshop is a class held once per week that is just a complete waste of time and it couldn't be taught by a worse professor. However, the lecture is not mandatory (small sessions are mandatory) and the material is really easy. Some people complain about FMP lecture as well...but as they say, "they can't all be winners".

Overall, I've really enjoyed my time here and I know that I am receiving a fantastic education (at the end of the day, you get out what you put into it). I feel as though we are a lot less stressed than students at other schools and we have a lot of opportunities to excel (our match list has never been less than great). If you have any more questions, just let me know.

Best of luck!

I know it's an old thread but I was wondering....what about Cooper contributes to making the students a lot less stressed than students at other schools, in your opinion?

Hello everyone, Current M3 here at Cooper. Now that I'm done with the most stressful exam of my life, I decided to make an account to help out the youngins. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try my best to answer them within a reasonable amount of time.

Hello everyone, Current M3 here at Cooper. Now that I'm done with the most stressful exam of my life, I decided to make an account to help out the youngins. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try my best to answer them within a reasonable amount of time.
Hello! I'm going to be an M1 here and was just wondering if there was a fb group or GroupMe I could join to get acquainted with my fellow classmates? Also I'm interested to know what hospitals you rotate out of during your clinical years. Thanks!

Hello! I'm going to be an M1 here and was just wondering if there was a fb group or GroupMe I could join to get acquainted with my fellow classmates? Also I'm interested to know what hospitals you rotate out of during your clinical years. Thanks!
Welcome to the family! I'm not sure about a FB group. For the last couple of years, one student from each class was in charge of operating their class FB page. I would be shocked if one didn't exist for your class. In regards to GroupMe, my class started one on the first day of school.

All core rotations happen across the street at Cooper. For clic, you will have different satellite locations in the South Jersey area. But don't worry about all that now. Just focus on being a successful M1.

Orientation week is fun. Enjoy it!

Edit: There is a CMSRU class of 2023 facebook page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did anyone attend the Information Session/ Open house last year? If so was it worth it? Was is it a formal presentation of the school or just a table for question and answers. Trying to figure out if its worth it to drive 1.5 hours to go tomorrow. Thanks in advance.

LOOKING FOR PEOPLE TO SIGN AT COOPER VILLAGE

NICE LITTLE PLACE, UNFURNISHED

MUST GO WITHIN 10 DAYS

TEXT ME AND I'LL GET YOU IN CONTACT WITH THE RISING M3