2018-2019 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am among those that did not match to their #1. Been feeling a lot of ways about it today. The hardest though, is that the people who matched there might not be as in love with the site as I was but since they got ranked higher, were chosen.

I'm working to stay focused on the positives though! The site I matched at is great. How is everyone else holding up?

I think, and I may be wrong here so feel free to correct me, that it matters less how highly the site itself ranked you or the other candidates, but how highly the other candidates ranked the site. So if you ranked Site A as your #1, and they have three spots, three other people must have also ranked it #1 and have been ranked higher than you by Site A for you to not match there.

I don't know why it matters to me, though... I guess I just want to know that I did everything I could to get my top choice, and I left nothing on the table.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think, and I may be wrong here so feel free to correct me, that it matters less how highly the site itself ranked you or the other candidates, but how highly the other candidates ranked the site. So if you ranked Site A as your #1, and they have three spots, three other people must have also ranked it #1 and have been ranked higher than you by Site A for you to not match there.

I don't know why it matters to me, though... I guess I just want to know that I did everything I could to get my top choice, and I left nothing on the table.

Oh..you know, I'm not sure. The match is still a bit of a mystery. That totally makes sense though and I agree! I just am sad. Thankful, but sad. All of my sites were VERY different so it felt like I had started to fall in love with the career trajectory of my #1...and now I'm having to adjust to something I wasn't expecting.

Reactions: 2 users
Oh..you know, I'm not sure. The match is still a bit of a mystery. That totally makes sense though and I agree! I just am sad. Thankful, but sad. All of my sites were VERY different so it felt like I had started to fall in love with the career trajectory of my #1...and now I'm having to adjust to something I wasn't expecting.
Agree completely.

Members don't see this ad :)

You're correct.

If a site has 3 spots, 10 people are interviewed, and four rank it #1, you do not have to be in the top 3 ranked by the site, you have to be in the top three ranked out of the four that ranked it #1. So basically, you would only have to beat out one person in this imaginary scenario.

If we didn’t match with our #1, are we allowed to ask them for feedback in case we’re interested in a post-doc there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we didn’t match with our #1, are we allowed to ask them for feedback in case we’re interested in a post-doc there

Yes, however I would wait a while before you reach out. Let the dust settle and enjoy the next little while. You don't need to apply for post docs for a year so there's no rush.

Hello,

I’m writing to ask about match policy following phase 1. To my understanding, matching is a contract of sorts, even without signing a contract with the site. However, I am wondering if there is anyone on this forum who has (or knows anyone who has) entered into phase II f the match despite matching in phase I? A match was made for a site that fell rather low on this applicants ranking list, which the applicant ranked with the belief that the unlikely match at that site would be better than no match at all. However, this does not seem to be the case, as the training opportunities are not in line with this applicants internship goals. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Is anyone confused after not ranking somewhere due to how the site had interacted with you during and post interviewing? Still grateful for the match itself...just, am I alone?

Reactions: 3 users
Hello,

I’m writing to ask about match policy following phase 1. To my understanding, matching is a contract of sorts, even without signing a contract with the site. However, I am wondering if there is anyone on this forum who has (or knows anyone who has) entered into phase II f the match despite matching in phase I? A match was made for a site that fell rather low on this applicants ranking list, which the applicant ranked with the belief that the unlikely match at that site would be better than no match at all. However, this does not seem to be the case, as the training opportunities are not in line with this applicants internship goals. Any guidance would be appreciated.
From Greg: "It is important for all participants to remember that they have agreed, via the Match Agreement, to abide by the results of the Match. Internship programs that submit a Rank Order List are required to accept the applicants to whom they are matched. Similarly, applicants who submit a Rank Order List are required to attend the internship program to which they are matched.

The Match Policies state:

"Results of the APPIC Match constitute binding agreements between applicants, internship programs, and APPIC that may not be reversed without APPIC's consent.""

Hello,

Don’t. Rank. Sites. If. You. Do. Not. Want. To. Actually. Go. There.

Don’t. Rank. Sites. If. You. Do. Not. Want. To. Actually. Go. There.
That's not helpful. Back off. You don't understand, because you weren't part of it. Don't shame people. Someone is looking for advice. I'm sure you'll have numerous pithy and/or self-righteous replies for me, but save yourself the trouble.

Reactions: 10 users
That's not helpful. Back off. You don't understand, because you weren't part of it. Don't shame people. Someone is looking for advice. I'm sure you'll have numerous pithy and/or self-righteous replies for me, but save yourself the trouble.

You're right. There were asking for advice. I was giving them advice. I'm not shaming them.

They made a mistake. Now they have to live with it. This is the process called life. Hopefully they learn something along the way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone confused after not ranking somewhere due to how the site had interacted with you during and post interviewing? Still grateful for the match itself...just, am I alone?

YUP. I honestly feel duped in a lot of ways by 2, no 3 sites. But hey, they must just be overzealous and connected with every applicant. I got my #6... but, truly it probably will end up being awesome and the people there are awesome. And they were ecstatic (TD said staff clapped when he announced I matched there this morning in his meeting) because they said they loved my personality-- that is great feedback. I know the site wanted me, so I can imagine it will be a great deal. And the stress is relieved in a lot of ways. And life goes on and one step closer to having the piece of paper I need to officially do the job I passionately love and find so much happiness from.

Reactions: 7 users

Also so much goes into it, diversity of applicants in so many ways to get exactly what they really want within their cohorts and it feels like a personal thing, like this whole process does. But we matched at places where we probably were one of the highest ranked applicants, so we go in to our sites with people eager to teach us and get to know us.

Reactions: 1 users
You're right. There were asking for advice. I was giving them advice. I'm not shaming them.

They made a mistake. Now they have to live with it. This is the process called life. Hopefully they learn something along the way.
It's not "advice" when it's after the fact. It's being petty and pointing out they made a mistake for no reason. She knows that already. She was asking for information, which you didn't bother to give, and only bothered to hammer her. There is no point. Leave her alone. Yep, she has to live with it - she doesn't need you rubbing it in. Give it a rest.

Reactions: 12 users

I’m going to agree with @OpalinePhoenix. This is a safe space where people do NOT come to seek judgment, especially not from someone who didn’t go through the match. Your judgment is very unwelcome.

Reactions: 14 users
Hello,

I know of two situations like this. The one person ending up keeping the Phase I commitment, the other one made the grave mistake of proceeding and breaking the contract. It took a lot of work, and I am fairly certain there were some untruths involved to get out of the Phase I commitment site. Because of the quick turn around process, the person did match in Phase II -- HOWEVER, it ultimately was career suicide for them. When it came to post docs, they did not receive a single interview with many applications. Their name was tarnished for many opportunities, and they landed up doing private practice, which was far from their intended trajectory.

Remember, TDs have their own listserv and share information. I encourage this person to mourn the loss of a dream internship and then suck it up and move on. You can make anything work for a year. They might even be pleasantly surprised in the long run.

I didn't match where I wanted to. Not even close. I reached out and found support from folks that understood the complicated mix of emotions. And yes, now that it is all over, I am glad I did my internship where I did. Very glad. Ultimately, internship goals should be 1. Match; and 2. Complete. Everything else is bonus.

Reactions: 9 users

100% with you! (And I can't even tell you how relieved I felt to see you post this, thank you). I matched with a site lower on my list and have been on and off thinking about why I didn't match with one of the higher ranked sites because the interviews just went so well and I thought I had that "gut" feeling. Alas, that didn't happen. But then I have to give up thinking about it because it makes my brain hurt. And the second half of your statement? SAME. I'm so grateful for where I matched and it seems like an awesome site (which is why I applied) but then I've still had these yucky feelings all day that I can't quite name what they are yet and I wonder how much of that is tied to those interactions I had with sites, you know? I am so happy about my match but then why am I upset? Ugh, haha.

Reactions: 4 users
100% with you! (And I can't even tell you how relieved I felt to see you post this, thank you). I matched with a site lower on my list and have been on and off thinking about why I didn't match with one of the higher ranked sites because the interviews just went so well and I thought I had that "gut" feeling. Alas, that didn't happen. But then I have to give up thinking about it because it makes my brain hurt. And the second half of your statement? SAME. I'm so grateful for where I matched and it seems like an awesome site (which is why I applied) but then I've still had these yucky feelings all day that I can't quite name what they are yet and I wonder how much of that is tied to those interactions I had with sites, you know? I am so happy about my match but then why am I upset? Ugh, haha.

Wanted to chime in and say I am also in that boat and you are not alone, forumfam <3

Wanted to chime in and say I am also in that boat and you are not alone, forumfam <3

Yes. This sums up exactly how I’m feeling! If any of you want to message me to talk more, please feel free :)

Hello,

So I’m unaware of the logistics, but I had some recommendations. I truly empathize with this applicant (not sure if you’re the applicant). I know they say don’t rank sites where you don’t want to go, but do any of us have the crystal ball? No. Besides, who really thinks about ending up at a site towards the end of their list? Does it happen - yes, but is it something we’re always cognizant of? I don’t think so. That being said, I would try not to beat myself up. You can totally grieve the loss of the sites you may have preferred. We’re all human, and that’s human nature. I would then try to think about this from another perspective - so you ranked the site...what are some of the good things about it? It can be anything (location, nice faculty/staff, good perks, a local Starbucks!). Write those down. You can also write down the not so good things. I would encourage you to seek mentorship from your DCT and trusted faculty during this time. Yes, a year is only a year, but I get it! This isn’t easy. If you decide that sticking this out is the best option for you, try to focus on the positive aspects of this site, and choose to focus on doing one thing good each day (this got me through a prac placement I was sooo bummed about, but ended up being such a great experience). Surround yourself with supportive people and remind yourself that this too shall pass! Ultimately, you have to do what’s right for you (no judgment whatsoever!) but also think bigger picture. I do know that breaking this sort of contract is a big deal and may be a detriment to your future. Don’t give up hope! You got this!

Reactions: 6 users

I identify with so much of this. I am not a crier but I’ve been tearing up all day. And I’m not even sad about my match, it’s a great site! Just not where I expected to be. I think all the stress of the past few months is finally catching up to me haha

I identify with so much of this. I am not a crier but I’ve been tearing up all day. And I’m not even sad about my match, it’s a great site! Just not where I expected to be. I think all the stress of the past few months is finally catching up to me haha

Same, I never cry. I agree with you, it has to be pent up stress and maybe it'll feel better by Monday (my goodness I hope).

Same, I never cry. I agree with you, it has to be pent up stress and maybe it'll feel better by Monday (my goodness I hope).
Me too, everyone <3 Being on the West Coast right now, I am at least comforted by the beauty of the landscape. Maybe it will all be for the best...Thanks everyone

Me too, everyone <3 Being on the West Coast right now, I am at least comforted by the beauty of the landscape. Maybe it will all be for the best...Thanks everyone

I can relate! I have also cried a lot today and I am not a crier. Even though my site is great, it’s not what I was expecting.

Anyone else feeling like its going to be a week of walking on eggshells with their cohorts? My cohort is large-ish at least compared to some of the 4-5 people cohorts I've seen ( we are 20) and because we are a bigger group there are a bunch of like cliques i suppose we can call them just cause its hard to get 20 people to all be besties. Because of this I know a number of my closer friends outcome but not the group as a whole and so it's pretty anxiety provoking going back to school on Monday to see everyone.

I also matched with my #1 site. I was so excited and relieved yesterday that I just spent all day doing nothing of importance with my fiance to celebrate.

I also matched with my #1 site. I was so excited and relieved yesterday that I just spent all day doing nothing of importance with my fiance to celebrate.

Good for you

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I’m going to agree with @OpalinePhoenix. This is a safe space where people do NOT come to seek judgment, especially not from someone who didn’t go through the match. Your judgment is very unwelcome.
100% agree. Judgment and rudeness are not welcome here. We're here to support one another. This process is so hard, regardless of getting the best or the worst news, and everyone is doing the best they can with what they have.

I also just wanted to chime in and say when I went through the process two years ago, I actually matched to my first choice and I STILL felt a rollercoaster of emotions for a couple days - the "reality sets in" feeling is wild, even if it's a good outcome. So I hope ALL of you are being compassionate with yourselves and tolerant of that crazy crazy feelings rush. Open acceptance of your own experience, no self-judging necessary.

Reactions: 10 users
I wish I got my #1. But obviously I didn’t so I’m dealing with sadness, frustration and disappointment. Story of my life as a single mom with 2 kids and no help- no contact, no child support, no interest

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

It is probably impossible not to have those "why" thoughts, but working toward letting them go is SO important. As someone on the interviewing side of this I can tell you that we have positive interactions that are genuine and often leave an interview thinking 'they could be a great fit". When we finally sit down to rank it is often very difficult/painful to make the decisions about rank order and it often comes down to things that the candidate can't "control" in the interview process (eg: someone else has more experience with a relevant population, test protocol, dissertation research is more applicable at the site, a second language fluency). The positive interactions in interviews were positive interactions to you in the interview. The ranking process is much more about various systems factors that are beyond individual control. It IS painful to not get your preference. But I think it can help to recall that it is actually not a judgement or measure about you, the person. It is about making this transition into a new "ecosystem" and you are landing where there is a good environment for you. Where you are going is where you are REALLY wanted.

Reactions: 11 users
Hello,

I am sorry for the regret this applicant is experiencing about their decision to rank a non-desired site. However, it is my opinion they would be making a terrible mistake to attempt to back out of the match. Someone already posted the Match Policy, so I won't repeat that, but APPIC presents additional risks of attempting to back out of a match that have not yet been posted that I feel the applicant needs to consider:

"The APPIC Board of Directors closely monitors and enforces the policy that the Match constitutes a binding agreement. Violations of APPIC Match Policies or Match Agreements by applicants or programs may result in sanctions by APPIC (e.g., being barred from future matches) or legal action by other Match participants. In addition, violations by applicants may result in disciplinary action by the applicants' graduate and/or internship programs."

I hope they can find some peace with their internship site and have a positive experience!

Hello,

Others have already pointed out APPIC's policy, so I won't belabor that point. What I would add is this--it would be infinitely better for this person's training and career to complete an internship at a site that didn't line up with their training goals than to violate match policy by breaking their agreement with the site to which they matched. Where you complete internship can impact immediate career moves, such as postdoc or first job placements, but after that, it can start to fade into the background fairly quickly. And even the most unaligned internship site should be able to provide some new and useful training experiences.

Perhaps worst-case, if the person isn't able to get everything they wanted on internship and they hadn't been considering a formal postdoc, they could begin looking into it. Or look for jobs that would also provide additional training opportunities in their area(s) of interest. Fortunately, internship doesn't have to be the end of our formal training and education.

Reactions: 3 users
Hello,

First I want to say that I'm sorry you're feeling so much regret about your decision to rank this site. Honestly, in the anxiety of worrying about not getting a match I ranked some sites that do not really match my training goals (i.e. a child only site when I really want to focus my work on adults, an outpatient center when I really want to get some inpatient hospital experience) and I knew when I was ranking them that I would be disappointed if I matched there and I can't say the extent of what it would have been like because I was exceedingly lucky in my match. However, when i was writing my list out in this gigantic excel file i added one extra column that read (One thing that makes this site special) and tried to find one thing about each site that i was ranking that made it special. That all child site that I ranked? It was all low SES neighborhood with a large spanish speaking population/immigrant families and one of the supervising psychologists on staff was someone I knew and respected, The site that was all outpatient gave me an opportunity for longterm care and had flexibility in treatments as well as a good range in patient ages and demographics, A site that was geographically undesirable had a great staff and an abundance of rotations I could elect to take part in. I know, it's easy for me to say now that if i had matched to one of them that i would have looked at that list and found a way to mourn my other sites and move on to what I enjoyed about the site I was matched in but I think at this point it may be best for your future career to try and do that. Write out a list about what you liked about that site because you applied to it so it must not suck completely. And remember that internship year isn't your whole life. Embrace the good parts of it and then move on and do what you really want to do.

It looks like some folks are surprised that they matched lower on their rank list than expected. That happens. I got a site lower than I expected (as did some of my cohort), but it was still an APA-accredited site that had rigorous training standards.

I was sad when I saw where I matched for a few hours until I found out a close friend and colleague who was very qualified and strong didn't match at all. It was then that I realized how lucky I was, and that our view of "success" is relative. Sometimes our own expectations get in the way; mine certainly did until I put it in perspective.

I would be grateful that you were among those who did match, because it is a very competitive process and a huge hoop you have to jump through to move on professionally. Where you end up after is up to you; you aren't stuck there for postdoc. For folks who didn't get their number one, I'd suggest letting that go and celebrating your overall success in getting a site. We have an entire thread in here for folks who are looking to regroup for phase 2 because they were not among the lucky ones who matched, and I bet they'd switch places with some of you in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Is anyone going to be at UMaryland for internship next year?!? I’m so excited to be training there next year! I’ve heard nothing but amazing things.

Last edited:
It looks like some folks are surprised that they matched lower on their rank list than expected. That happens. I got a site lower than I expected (as did some of my cohort), but it was still an APA-accredited site that had rigorous training standards.

I was sad when I saw where I matched for a few hours until I found out a close friend and colleague who was very qualified and strong didn't match at all. It was then that I realized how lucky I was, and that our view of "success" is relative. Sometimes our own expectations get in the way; mine certainly did until I put it in perspective.

I would be grateful that you were among those who did match, because it is a very competitive process and a huge hoop you have to jump through to move on professionally. Where you end up after is up to you; you aren't stuck there for postdoc. For folks who didn't get their number one, I'd suggest letting that go and celebrating your overall success in getting a site. We have an entire thread in here for folks who are looking to regroup for phase 2 because they were not among the lucky ones who matched, and I bet they'd switch places with some of you in a heartbeat.
I keep thinking that it’s likely some of you matched low on your list, and took away someone else’s wandsite. I’ve watched someone sobbing over a match to a truly spectacular site, and I’ll bet real dollars that someone else is sobbing because they did not get that same site. This process is very imperfect!!

thank-you for this
i am on the phase ii squad, which wasn't an entire surprise as i was selective of who i applied to in phase i hoping to get an ideal site for specialty. honestly i'm okay with it, there are some great sites out there for us. but still appreciate hearing this

congratulations to all you phase 1 superstars!

Last edited:
Anyone else heading to Florida for internship? I’ll be at the Gainesville VA Medical Center

I put this in the phase 2 board but just in case you're in phase 2 and haven't checked out that board yet,

"Hey all,

Just offering some support. No matter how crappy this process is you are all superstars and have a good shot at matching phase 2. There are some great sites with open spots. That being said, if any of you guys are looking to apply to NY or NJ sites and want some insight into some of the sites with open slots (Greystone Park in NJ, Jacobi medical center NY, Beth Israel NY, King’s County Hospital, Andrus Children’s Center)

I interviewed and know people who have been in internships/externships there. Feel free to PM me for information if you need it since i know sites don’t take as much care in answering all questions and getting you hooked up with intern talk time in phase 2."

I also can't wait to connect with my new internship cohort!!! Our TD said the contact list will go out this week, and I bet I'm the first weirdo in the group to message everyone and be like hooray, let's meet, and have lunch, and talk, and make all the connections!!!

I also can't wait to connect with my new internship cohort!!! Our TD said the contact list will go out this week, and I bet I'm the first weirdo in the group to message everyone and be like hooray, let's meet, and have lunch, and talk, and make all the connections!!!
Do what my graduate school cohort did - someone in my cohort arranged a cabin trip the weekend before we started grad school for my full psych department cohort. We went hiking and played a lot of board games/etc. while drinking, and got to know each other ahead of time. At least some chunk of us have gone back every year. Best decision ever.

Reactions: 5 users
I have a question for those neuro interns/post-docs/TD’s out there. I ended up matching with a non-neuro forensic testing site, still APA. I’m still hoping to apply for neuro post-docs, any tips to stay competitive? I have a few years of neuro practicum experience but was sort-of geographically limited in my applications this year.
Thanks!!!

I have a question for those neuro interns/post-docs/TD’s out there. I ended up matching with a non-neuro forensic testing site, still APA. I’m still hoping to apply for neuro post-docs, any tips to stay competitive? I have a few years of neuro practicum experience but was sort-of geographically limited in my applications this year.
Thanks!!!

I matched at a generalist (VA) internship and managed to get a neuro post-doc this year. I had pretty extensive experience from graduate school, but lacked products in research. On internship, I was able to complete a primary rotation doing mostly neuro-related assessment (some psych) and used existing data to write a manuscript for publication. I sought at as much didactic experience as I could (through webinars and seminars held on the VA campus that could be considered neuro-related). I did lots of article/text books chapter readings which I discussed with my supervisor weekly.

You will have to be pro-active in making sure you get close to the same types of experiences you would at a neuro internship, but I just wanted to share my experience and let you know it is definitely possible for you to get a post-doc as long as you are a well-rounded applicant. Feel free to PM me with other questions you might have!