2018-2019 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Matched to my #2. I really, really wanted my #1 so I'm in a bit of shock. Overall, I'm happy with the outcome.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
WAND SITE!!!! BTW - never got the official email, my TD sent me a congrats email.

Reactions: 7 users
I matched to my #2, but it was really my #1 and I was too afraid to change my rankings so close to the deadline for fear that the system would go down with no available customer support

Reactions: 13 users
Truman VA, anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Eh it’s cool I’m 4th year neuro competing with 5th year neuro students this was sooooo expected!

Props to you, wished I was that hardcore to make it in neuro!

Reactions: 4 users
Super agreed!

And for EVERYONE - remember...the wand chooses the wizard. You DID match to your #wandsite....even if it's not the one you thought it would be!
As a retiring TD with decades of perspective I endorse this: Where you land is the right place, even if feels wrong today. Trust the process. I have seen folks go to Clearinghouse/Match II and find what turns out to be the place they were meant to be and a launch for just what they were meant to do .. It is a crazy process but it all works out...

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Matched to my #wandsite!!!!! :soexcited: So thrilled!

Sending positive vibes to everybody out there who didn't get the email they hoped for. You are all amazing human beings!

Reactions: 7 users
WANDSITE AHHH DID NOT THINK THIS WAS POSSIBLE!!!!
Congrats to all for making it through this first stage and Phase II'ers- we are still here for you!

Reactions: 3 users
I'm not sure if people who matched or those who aren't registered for the match can see the list through the NMS site. I think someone would have to make a pdf for non-registered match people to be able to see it. I could be wrong though.

Just want to chime in that back in the day I matched to one of my bottom sites. I remember how I felt badly and also guilty for feeling so badly about it. It's okay to be disappointed, it doesn't mean that you aren't grateful to match. Not sure if this helps, just wanted to provide validation. :)

In the end it all worked out, of course.

Reactions: 9 users
I accidentally missed the TD's call at first. She probably thinking: "Oh I guess she's drunk already!"
(Don't worry, I called her back promptly).

Reactions: 1 users
I accidentally missed the TD's call at first. She probably thinking: "Oh I guess she's drunk already!"
(Don't worry, I called her back promptly).

I keep thinking that I'll miss it whenever I go to the bathroom.

On a serious note, can I start drinking in 10 minutes, really? Like do we just wait the 2 hours, or should I actually wait all day?

So I never received an official email and I have not yet received a call from TD. The NMS confirmed my match but I am feeling really skeptical at this point.....

Having some issues getting phase II list to work, anybody get the right link?

I got my #4 so whatevs. Major disappointment but good training and that’s all that counts

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Just want to chime in that back in the day I matched to one of my bottom sites. I remember how I felt badly and also guilty for feeling so badly about it. It's okay to be disappointed, it doesn't mean that you aren't grateful to match. Not sure if this helps, just wanted to provide validation. :)

In the end it all worked out, of course.

Thank you for this validation! It means a lot to me.

Reactions: 3 users
I got my 10th ranked site, I am so grateful I matched but so disappointed.

Reactions: 6 users
So I never received an official email and I have not yet received a call from TD. The NMS confirmed my match but I am feeling really skeptical at this point.....
Contact the NMS to get the match information and ask that they send it to you so you have a written record. Contact the TD of the site they provide you. In that order.

Well, match day is indeed here.

My wife had 3 interviews, but actually only ranked 1 site. Of her other two sites, one she really liked but we would not have been able to make that work financially. The second one ended up not giving her good vibes. So she didn't rank either and just ranked the single site that she did want.

The site she did rank was one she had better chances at this place too because they have a partial partnership with her school. Nonetheless, she was still worried about ending up in phase 2.

This had been a hard process for us to figure out which sites for her to apply to. She wanted to apply local so she didn't have to move away. I'm a grad student at the same time as her, so we are both living off of student loans. We live in the San Francisco Bay Area where rent is insane, so we barely make it by as is. If she had to move away and she had to pay two rents, it just would not have been possible.

Regardless, she got her first (and only) ranked choice!

Her best friend is frustrated because she got her third choice and yet her first choice (a very competitive site) ended up in phase two? Does that mean that they just ranked an incredibly limited number of applicants? They interviewed almost 40 people (for 3 slots) and they would have been the top choice for most of those interviewd? Is it possible that this site only ranked like five people?

Her best friend is frustrated because she got her third choice and yet her first choice (a very competitive site) ended up in phase two? Does that mean that they just ranked an incredibly limited number of applicants? They interviewed almost 40 people (for 3 slots) and they would have been the top choice for most of those interviewd? Is it possible that this site only ranked like five people?

Doubtful. Many sites will drop some people off of their rank lists, for a variety of reasons. But, if they had 3 slots, they probably ranked at least 20 or so. This is the first year that there are many more positions than applicants, so many places went through their rank lists and are now in Phase II. My site did very well, luckily, so we don't have to spend more admin time on the Match.

Congrats to your wife! A lot of things are possible; that friend may have not been ranked at all, maybe some folks didn't rank the site if it was so competitive for fear of not matching at all and "wasting a top slot", or maybe new funding came to the site to have a fourth slot

Doubtful. Many sites will drop some people off of their rank lists, for a variety of reasons. But, if they had 3 slots, they probably ranked at least 20 or so. This is the first year that there are many more positions than applicants, so many places went through their rank lists and are now in Phase II. My site did very well, luckily, so we don't have to spend more admin time on the Match.

It's really odd though because this site is a top choice for many many people. The site is a centrally located hospital that a lot of people want. There has to be at minimum 5-10 people ranking it #1.

Based off all of the videos I've watched about the match process and articles I've read about it, if you rank a site #1, the only way you do not get that site is if there were a multitude of people ranking it number 1 (in which these other people were ranked higher than you by the site) or that the site didn't rank you at all. Being that this site is in phase 2, it must be that they didn't rank this friend at all - although she felt the interview went really well.

So if 5-10 people rank it as #1 and it only has 3 slots, the only way it could end up in phase two is if it didn't rank majority of those that ranked it #1.

It's really odd though because this site is a top choice for many many people. The site is a centrally located hospital that a lot of people want. There has to be at minimum 5-10 people ranking it #1.

Based off all of the videos I've watched about the match process and articles I've read about it, if you rank a site #1, the only way you do not get that site is if there were a multitude of people ranking it number 1 (in which these other people were ranked higher than you by the site) or that the site didn't rank you at all. Being that this site is in phase 2, it must be that they didn't rank this friend at all - although she felt the interview went really well.

So if 5-10 people rank it as #1 and it only has 3 slots, the only way it could end up in phase two is if it didn't rank majority of those that ranked it #1.

You don't really know how many people ranked the site #1, though. I mean, it's all speculation, and I don't know that it actually helps your wife's friend.

You don't really know how many people ranked the site #1, though. I mean, it's all speculation, and I don't know that it actually helps your wife's friend.

Nonetheless - for this friend that ranked it #1. The only way that the site goes to phase two with people being rejected that ranked it #1 means that this site had to not rank those people. Unless everything I've learned about the process from the official match site is wrong.

This friend got her 3rd choice though, so it's not like she didn't match at all. It is just very (justifiably) frustrating when you see your #1 choice in phase 2.

Nonetheless - for this friend that ranked it #1. The only way that the site goes to phase two with people being rejected that ranked it #1 means that this site had to not rank those people. Unless everything I've learned about the process from the official match site is wrong.

Yes, the one thing this friend can know for certain is that she was not ranked by the site she ranked #1, if the site is going into phase 2.

I got my 10th ranked site, I am so grateful I matched but so disappointed.

I think one of the problems is that they pretty much prepare you to match to one of your top sites or nowhere at all. There's very little discussion about matching to one of your lower-ranked sites (because it is so infrequent, but it still happens). I matched to my 9th ranked site, IIRC, so I feel you.

When you are landing at your 9th or 10th choice - these are still locations you're wanting to go to, right? So you should still be excited for it right? Because if it's not a site you actually want to go to - why would you rank it at all?

I think one of the problems is that they pretty much prepare you to match to one of your top sites or nowhere at all. There's very little discussion about matching to one of your lower-ranked sites (because it is so infrequent, but it still happens). I matched to my 9th ranked site, IIRC, so I feel you.
Exactly, you just get so invested in top 3. I definitely will grow there in a year, it is just wasn't expected. 1-9 were way competitive. I'm trusting the process, but it's a let down.

When you are landing at your 9th or 10th choice - these are still locations you're wanting to go to, right? So you should still be excited for it right? Because if it's not a site you actually want to go to - why would you rank it at all?

Because you'd rather go there than not match at all; it's still disappointing. Let's remember that everyone's entitled to their feelings today, positive or negative or (likely) both.

Reactions: 14 users

For me, it was disappointment over not matching to the top-ranked sites that I loved so much, despite feeling like I had interviewed well.

Reactions: 10 users
I got my #4 so whatevs. Major disappointment but good training and that’s all that counts

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Same, only I wasn’t disappointed about matching there Bc it’s an amazing site & actually more prestigious than my top 3. More so bummed the others didn’t like me as much as I liked them and then thinking back at my interviews and analyzing everything. At the end of the day though, we matched, and we will realize that it worked out how it was supposed to. Also, no one really prepares you to match past #3. My DCT was convinced I wouldn’t go past #3. It just wasn’t in the cards for me it seems! And you know what? I’m really really excited for where I’m headed. Besides, we get to go somewhere who wanted us & who we also wanted enough to rank in our top 5! Hopefully this made sense...sleep deprived...

Reactions: 5 users
I am among those that did not match to their #1. Been feeling a lot of ways about it today. The hardest though, is that the people who matched there might not be as in love with the site as I was but since they got ranked higher, were chosen.

I'm working to stay focused on the positives though! The site I matched at is great. How is everyone else holding up?