2017-2018 Virginia Commonwealth University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How many people are on the waitlist? I thought it was 100 total, but I’ve also heard it might be 100 IS and 100 OOS. 200 waitlist spots seems like a lot for a school to have, even if VCU is more conservative with their initial acceptances.

Members don't see this ad.

How many people are on the waitlist? I thought it was 100 total, but I’ve also heard it might be 100 IS and 100 OOS. 200 waitlist spots seems like a lot for a school to have, even if VCU is more conservative with their initial acceptances.

Someone should call and ask tomorrow. Play it smooth and slip it into the conversation

Reactions: 1 users
I kind of like to live in a world where VCU’s waitlist is 100 applicants and 75 applicants are pulled off the waitlist like MSAR says.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I kind of like to live in a world where VCU’s waitlist is 100 applicants and 75 applicants are pulled off the waitlist like MSAR says.

Yea, I was going to say that MSAR says that there are 75 people pulled off the 100-person waitlist. I'm not sure how accurate that is, however.

Yea, I was going to say that MSAR says that there are 75 people pulled off the 100-person waitlist. I'm not sure how accurate that is, however.

I feel like if you are out of state, your chances of getting off the waitlist are pretty good looking at MSARs numbers. For total interviewed and matriculated for out of state students.

MSAR hasn’t been known to have false information though, right?

MSAR hasn’t been known to have false information though, right?

I don’t think so. Maybe out of date information depending on the time of year but it was just updated to last years cycle. VCU went from 900 some interviewed to 635 on MSAR.

I feel like if you are out of state, your chances of getting off the waitlist are pretty good looking at MSARs numbers. For total interviewed and matriculated for out of state students.

Just out of curiosity, do you mind sharing those numbers (total interviewed and matriculated for OOS students)?

Would you mind sharing the stats for Instate applicants as well?
Keep in mind those don’t take into account the ED, PhD etc people so it’ll be a few lower than that.

I’m guessing that those numbers include those off the waitlist as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone brave enough to call VCU and find out if MSAR waitlist info is correct?

Anyone brave enough to call VCU and find out if MSAR waitlist info is correct?

I have a feeling it isn't accurate, although someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

I've been looking at US News data for interview/acceptance numbers, and something I've noticed is that the accepted numbers far exceed the matriculated numbers: for in-state, it's 188 accepted; for out-of-state, it's 223 accepted. My sources for this is via a google excel sheet that was posted earlier in this thread (for some reason it's not displaying correctly whenever I post it though).

This totals up to around 400 accepted spots for a class of around 200, which means that there are around 200 students pulled off the waitlist. This is more than the 75 that is reported by MSAR (actually it's more than the 100 that is on the waitlist itself). This is, of course, assuming that VCU fills up all ~200 of their spots from the four earlier dates, which I believe to be true?

What I'm trying to say is that the numbers don't really make sense to me. I don't believe that MSAR is giving out completely inaccurate information, but I am suspicious it may be reporting for something that isn't exactly what we're perceiving it to be.

Last edited:
Hey yall,
Long time lurker here - just wanted to let you guys know that I just called the admissions office just now and they said they had never seen the wait list stats on MSAR and couldn't say whether or not they are accurate... so I guess that settles that... :shrug:

Reactions: 4 users
I have a feeling it isn't accurate, although someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

I've been looking at US News data for interview/acceptance numbers, and something I've noticed is that the accepted numbers far exceed the matriculated numbers: for in-state, it's 188 accepted; for out-of-state, it's 223 accepted. My sources for this is via a google excel sheet that was posted earlier in this thread (for some reason it's not displaying correctly whenever I post it though).

This totals up to around 400 accepted spots for a class of around 200, which means that there are around 200 students pulled off the waitlist. This is more than the 75 that is reported by MSAR (actually it's more than the 100 that is on the waitlist itself). This is, of course, assuming that VCU fills up all ~200 of their spots from the four earlier dates, which I believe to be true?

What I'm trying to say is that the numbers don't really make sense to me. I don't believe that MSAR is giving out completely inaccurate information, but I am suspicious it may be reporting for something that isn't exactly what we're perceiving it to be.
400 accepted could mean they over-accept students, knowing not all of them will matriculate there. Not all of the students spilling over the 200 mark are necessarily applicants who got off the waitlist, I think.

Reactions: 1 user

I agree. It sounds off. I made a post about this some pages ago but basically to rehash it : the US News numbers are off by around ~300 or so interviews awarded (according to one of the adcoms on here) which affects all the other numbers. VCU had around 216ish people up until this year where it goes down to 184. From what I keep hearing, the MSAR updated to reflect numbers from the 2017-2018 cycle (aka our cycle) which makes no sense to me since a lot of the numbers,like class size, are off and waitlist movement hasn't happened either.

What we do know is that there's and OOS and IS WL with more OOS people coming off. It's also no secret that a lot of people get in off the WL and the class is largely made up of people on the list so I would estimate that ~100 people get off the WL. I did the math for it to compare to the US news numbers some posts back if you really wanna check it out. I don't think the MSAR is accurate for this school's numbers (unless I'm reading this wrong)

400 accepted could mean they over-accept students, knowing not all of them will matriculate there. Not all of the students spilling over the 200 mark are necessarily applicants who got off the waitlist, I think.

Someone (I think current students) commented earlier that they are super conservative with their acceptances and Dr. Cook told us in the interview that each of the 4 dates gets filled with a quarter of the class which makes me think that they don't over accept and instead pull everyone off from the WL. Could be wrong though

Reactions: 2 users
From what I keep hearing, the MSAR updated to reflect numbers from the 2017-2018 cycle (aka our cycle) which makes no sense to me since a lot of the numbers,like class size, are off and waitlist movement hasn't happened either.
I'm pretty sure MSAR has just updated to reflect 2016-2017 data, not 2017-2018 data

Dr Cook herself said that they would be conservative with acceptances with many (if not a majority) of the people in the class coming off the waitlist
Basically the wl is not just a soft reject here like it can be for other schools

Reactions: 4 users
So if traffic day is April 30th, then massive waitlist movement will happen throughout the first week of May?

So if traffic day is April 30th, then massive waitlist movement will happen throughout the first week of May?

Based on last year’s thread, it seems that they got some people in before traffic day!

This process will make us all crazy

Last edited:
question

if I am holding an acceptance from another MD school, and still am willing to be considered hub VCU, I am eligible to be accepted off the WL by VCU up to the orientation day of that first school I was accepted. Is this correct?

Thanks!!!

Every time I open up my email and just see another Bed, Bath, and Beyond coupon, I die a little inside.

I feel you man. Everytime I open my email and see, I only see Case/Columbia/Duke telling me I need to do a post -bacc or the Caribbean schools telling me I need to go there

question

if I am holding an acceptance from another MD school, and still am willing to be considered hub VCU, I am eligible to be accepted off the WL by VCU up to the orientation day of that first school I was accepted. Is this correct?

Thanks!!!
If I'm understanding your post correctly then yes you can still be accepted off the VCU WL up until the first day of class of the other school. You would have to release your other acceptance if you get accepted here since you can only have 1 after the 30th

Has anyone seen from the past years' posts if there is any significant movement from the IS waitlist?

Has anyone seen from the past years' posts if there is any significant movement from the IS waitlist?
I believe there’s decent movement. A good portion of the IS spots are taken by kids in their “Guaranteed Admissions” program or some variation of that. Many of them end up applying elsewhere and going to other schools because it is not binding.

I believe there’s decent movement. A good portion of the IS spots are taken by kids in their “Guaranteed Admissions” program or some variation of that. Many of them end up applying elsewhere and going to other schools because it is not binding.
Thanks!

im going to do a rain dance tomorrow to hopefully get off of this waitlist! DM me if interested. We will meet at U of R at 8:00 AM.

im going to do a rain dance tomorrow to hopefully get off of this waitlist! DM me if interested. We will meet at U of R at 8:00 AM.
Can we do it over skype? Or better yet, we should all do it at the same time and each pick a Waitlist Gods to dance/pray to

Still confused. So far, my portal has only asked me if I want to be considered for the waitlist. Does anyone's portal explicitly say that they're ON the waitlist, or are we assuming that we're on the waitlist because we chose the option(s) that included "I... wish to be on the alternate list at VCU/MCV?" In other words, has the waitlist actually been formulated?

Still confused. So far, my portal has only asked me if I want to be considered for the waitlist. Does anyone's portal explicitly say that they're ON the waitlist, or are we assuming that we're on the waitlist because we chose the option(s) that included "I... wish to be on the alternate list at VCU/MCV?" In other words, has the waitlist actually been formulated?

I received an application status stating: "This is to acknowledge receipt of your response to the alternate list."

Has yours not updated?

I received an application status stating: "This is to acknowledge receipt of your response to the alternate list."

Has yours not updated?

Yes mine also says that. Just not sure if I should take that to mean that the waitlist has been formed AND I'm on it.

In case anyone's wondering, last year WL movement started to pick up around April 22-24 so hold on people! Also, financial aid for a lot of people came out mid May

Reactions: 3 users
I don't know. Since multiple people said they heard that, I'm wondering if there's still a chance and it's worth submitting an LOI. I guess we've got nothing to lose

I emailed Admission's last week asking where to submit a LOI and they informed me that they don't accept any LOI or updates once you're on the waitlist. They also added that our files are closed for review at this point. So hope that answers everyone's questions! I was ballsy and asked for my rank so stay tuned to see if they tell me

Reactions: 5 users
How does the financial aid work if we are just waitlisted? Do we go ahead and apply for it? Is there a deadline?
I know VCU requires that you fill out the FAFSA along with the CSS profile. I filled out the CSS but haven't submitted it yet. I don't know if there's a deadline. What do you mean by 'go ahead and apply for it'? Did you find a secret link or form to fill out?

I know VCU requires that you fill out the FAFSA along with the CSS profile. I filled out the CSS but haven't submitted it yet. I don't know if there's a deadline. What do you mean by 'go ahead and apply for it'? Did you find a secret link or form to fill out?

I remember an M1 student telling me about a second form for financial aide, but I assumed that’s required after being accepted? Is FASFA enough or should waitlisted people start sending these CSS forms?

I thought tha the waitlist was unranked
Even though the initial list for acceptances is ranked

I remember an M1 student telling me about a second form for financial aide, but I assumed that’s required after being accepted? Is FASFA enough or should waitlisted people start sending these CSS forms?
I know that if you want any aid from VCU, you need to fill out the CSS. It's basically another FAFSA but it's not free. I think it's around $30-40 to submit but don't quote me on that