2017-2018 Virginia Commonwealth University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
okay so i was sleuthing around last year's thread and from what i read people were getting acceptances several days after the official acceptance date

Accepted! I checked as soon as I got the email and was put on the hold status, had a rough 24 hours, then had the matriculation tab :D

OOS, Interview on 1/11, waitlisted on 2/1, accepted on 2/3! Woo! I have not received anything formally, my status just changed in my portal. I was not even sent an email, which I thought was odd.

Accepted today! Interviewed 1/14!

Reactions: 1 users
OOS, Interview on 1/11, waitlisted on 2/1, accepted on 2/3! Woo! I have not received anything formally, my status just changed in my portal. I was not even sent an email, which I thought was odd!

This person was waitlisted in Feb?

First MD acceptance!! :soexcited: Interviewed late January. I hadn't checked portal in a week so unsure of date of acceptance but I am so excited! No email notification of status change but the matriculation form and enrolment fee tabs appeared, along with a brief acceptance letter on the home page. I guess they're handing out acceptances between the specified dates. OOS, LizzyM <70 for those of you wondering. Best of luck to everyone here!

Here’s another who got one even later than a couple of days. Maybe there is hope. I’m sure now we’re all gonna neurotically keep refreshing the portal page...

This person was waitlisted in Feb?

Here’s another who got one even later than a couple of days. Maybe there is hope. I’m sure now we’re all gonna neurotically keep refreshing the portal page...
i think they meant they were on hold. i'm going to block myself from the portal and SDN for 48 hours so i can regain some of my sanity...

Pre-II rejected today. I honestly forgot my secondary was even active still.

"Your complete application has been considered carefully by the Admissions Committee, and we regret that we are unable to offer you a position in the class beginning in August 2018.

The Committee understands the disappointing nature of their decision and urges you to consult with your pre-med advisor to discuss the possibility for improvement of your application.

We wish you the very best of success with your future plans."

And people thought St. Louis' rejection email was poorly worded lmao. If I'm going to medical school this year do I still consult with my pre-med advisor?

Hmmm looks like all the tabs really may have gone up on Friday

Reactions: 2 users
Hmmm looks like all the tabs really may have gone up on Friday
I called admissions and they confirmed that all the acceptances were sent out on Friday. The next we hear from them will be about the alternate list. See you all in another couple weeks.

Has anyone gotten a Post-II rejection yet since yesterday???
Browsing the last few years' threads, it seems like only 1-2 people total have reported post II rejections. Most of OOS people also seem to end up on the WL; not sure about IS. Doesn't stop me from being paranoid about being rejected but at least it's something

Members don't see this ad :)
So is it true that 75/100 people are accepted from the waitlist? I saw this number on MSAR and thought it was too good to be true

So is it true that 75/100 people are accepted from the waitlist? I saw this number on MSAR and thought it was too good to be true
I saw 75/100 on MSAR. However as always, past performance is not indicative of future results, but it looks pretty good.

@Dean Mission had previously mentioned that some of the data on MSAR about number of interview invites and acceptances was incorrect. Could the Dean chime in and let us know if last years MSAR data for the wait list is accurate (or close to accurate)? It states a wait list of 100 people with 75 acceptances from that list.

Reactions: 1 user

I think it's true that a good chunk of the class is accepted from the waitlist but the 100 number is what's throwing me off. There's always been 2 lists, IS and OOS so does that mean there's only 50 and 50 on each list? Someone on last years thread said there's enough people on the list to fill the class twice over so that makes it sound like there's 2 lists with a 100 each

That spreadsheet is dope I wish I would've known about it way earlier

I am not sure if I am interpreting this correctly, please double check.

According to the link posted previously on this forum, last year, VCU interviewed 460 IS applicants, and 188 of them were accepted, for roughly 100 spots. This means that 88 people of IS applicants got in from the waitlist. Now, VCU also interviewed 504 OOS applicants, and 223 were accepted for also approximately 100 spots. This means that 123 people from the OOS waitlist got in.
Therefore, there are 2 separate waitlists with SIGNIFICANT movements of about ~88 IS and ~123 OOS people getting in.

I'm not really sure what MSAR is saying then. Unless they just want to point out that no matter how big the waitlist is, 3/4 (75/100, or even 225/300) of the people on it get in?

Last edited:

"Your complete application has been considered carefully by the Admissions Committee, and we regret that we are unable to offer you a position in the class beginning in August 2018.

The Committee understands the disappointing nature of their decision and urges you to consult with your pre-med advisor to discuss the possibility for improvement of your application.

And people thought St. Louis' rejection email was poorly worded lmao. If I'm going to medical school this year do I still consult with my pre-med advisor?

Well, at least you have some finality to this neverending saga that is the medical school application cycle! Mine still says what it did on 7/10/2017. Maybe they'll keep it on file for review this upcoming cycle? Who knows... :whistle:

I am not sure if I am interpreting this correctly, please double check.

According to a link posted previously on this forum, last year, VCU interviewed 460 IS applicants, and 188 of them were accepted, for roughly 100 spots. This means that 88 people of IS applicants got in from the waitlist. Now, VCU also interviewed 504 OOS applicants, and 223 were accepted for also approximately 100 spots. This means that 123 people from the OOS waitlist got in.
Therefore, there are 2 separate waitlists with SIGNIFICANT movements of about ~88 IS and ~123 OOS people getting in.

I'm not really sure what MSAR is saying then. Unless they just want to point out that no matter how big the waitlist is, 3/4 (75/100, or even 225/300) of the people on it get in?

I think your math is right, but the numbers may be off. Dean Mission said last year there were 637 II and this year around 600 so with JUST the 184 accepted that already puts the post II acceptance rate at ~31%. By the US news numbers, around half of those interviewed eventually get in. There's a good chance that there will be at least around another 200 people on the waitlist to fill the class. Not sure how that'll be broken down by IS and OOS but I'll try my hand at math.

If we keep the same proportion of II by IS and OOS as US News and assume Dean Mission is right and there's 600 people interviewed this cycle than that potentially means there were 287 IS and 314 OOS interviewed. Out of those people, 118 IS and 139 OOS will be accepted which yields 18 IS and 39 OOS being accepted from the waitlist if ~100 are accepted initially.

There's probably a lot of problems with this estimation for a lot of reasons. These numbers sound really low and the actual numbers will probably vary from US News' proportions. There's also the chance that there were more than 600 interviews.

From previous threads, it seems like 3/4 get in overall from the waitlist with more coming in from the OOS list

I think your math is right, but the numbers may be off. Dean Mission said last year there were 637 II and this year around 600 so with JUST the 184 accepted that already puts the post II acceptance rate at ~31%. By the US news numbers, around half of those interviewed eventually get in. There's a good chance that there will be at least around another 200 people on the waitlist to fill the class. Not sure how that'll be broken down by IS and OOS but I'll try my hand at math.

If we keep the same proportion of II by IS and OOS as US News and assume Dean Mission is right and there's 600 people interviewed this cycle than that potentially means there were 287 IS and 314 OOS interviewed. Out of those people, 118 IS and 139 OOS will be accepted which yields 18 IS and 39 OOS being accepted from the waitlist if ~100 are accepted initially.

There's probably a lot of problems with this estimation for a lot of reasons. These numbers sound really low and the actual numbers will probably vary from US News' proportions. There's also the chance that there were more than 600 interviews.

From previous threads, it seems like 3/4 get in overall from the waitlist with more coming in from the OOS list
Where are you getting that ~100 are accepted initially? Are you referring to 100 people being put onto the waitlist in April or are you saying 100 people are accepted initially to the school, as in through the first four admissions dates? Because if it's the latter, wouldn't the number be 184?

Where are you getting that ~100 are accepted initially? Are you referring to 100 people being put onto the waitlist in April or are you saying 100 people are accepted initially to the school, as in through the first four admissions dates? Because if it's the latter, wouldn't the number be 184?

I was actually going off of what the other guy used in his calculations but now I think the number should be lower, ~92. It refers to the number of people accepted out right. VCU has about equal numbers of OOS and IS attending so there's around a 100 of each

You haven't accounted for the number of people that will get acceptances and choose to go elsewhere, so there will probably be more than 18 IS and 39 OOS accepted off the waitlist.

You haven't accounted for the number of people that will get acceptances and choose to go elsewhere, so there will probably be more than 18 IS and 39 OOS accepted off the waitlist.
Oh ya most likely. I think us news reports stats as a total of all those accepted initially and from the waitlist So I think all that is built in. I could be interpreting it wrong tho.

I don’t know how many are on the actual list but I’m thinking it’ll be around 200.

Do we think a post II letter of intent would help at all?

Telling a school that they are your top choice and that you will definitely matriculate if they accept you is certainly notable. I'd imagine it could only help, but no guarantees.

I think I remember Dr. Whitehurst-Cook saying during the interview day that letters of intent would be appropriate (and encouraged) once the alternate list had been finalized!

I think I remember Dr. Whitehurst-Cook saying during the interview day that letters of intent would be appropriate (and encouraged) once the alternate list had been finalized!

+1, I recall something similar to this as well.

hi guys! for the accepted students, does anyone know when we will receive information regarding immunization, physicals, insurance, and other documents and stuff that needs to be submitted before matriculation? i was wondering because i hadn't heard anything yet

For those who did not have the fortune of receiving tabs last week, when do you think we will receive our next status update for our applications? Portal says that the alternate list will be formulated in late-March, but there was nothing about the next notification.

For those who did not have the fortune of receiving tabs last week, when do you think we will receive our next status update for our applications? Portal says that the alternate list will be formulated in late-March, but there was nothing about the next notification.
Last year, people found out on the 31st and the year before on the 29th (I think) so quite literally late-March

Looks like people find out the last week of March, whenever the admissions committee decide to meet

@Dean Mission I'm not sure what to say, since it's obviously over for me this cycle, but I would like to reiterate that my portal has never changed since I submitted. It still says "Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile." There's nothing to be done about this cycle, but if possible please try to fix this for next cycle... This was really rough for me, and I had false hope for a long, long time, and I still haven't gotten a resolution. I've been sitting around paranoid that maybe my file never made it through for some reason. It made me pretty sad because I was really interested in VCU. Just wanted to mention that this problem still exists. Not sure if it resolved for everyone else on here.

Continuing off the question regarding immunizations and such, has anyone received information regarding financial aid/scholarships, or know when that might occur? I wasn't able to find any specific information on the website.

Or, has anyone even received an email regarding acceptance information?

looks like the portal changed and the waitlist will now be formulated in early April instead of late March. DOPE......................................:claps:

Reactions: 4 users
looks like the portal changed and the waitlist will now be formulated in early April instead of late March. DOPE......................................:claps:
Way to pay attention to detail. Balls.

Early April could also mean April 1-2... If we don't hear back by tomorrow than that's probably our next bet

Pre-II rejection. Has anyone got a notification like this? It sounds really sincere, and as someone who just didn't receive any II's this cycle this is actually a rejection letter that didn't make me feel like total crap.

Your file has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee. The overwhelming numbers of applications have made it simply impossible to interview all of the candidates who may be qualified to attend medical school. At this time, we are out of interview space and regret that we are unable to interview you.

The review of your file indicates that you have some fine qualities. While we are unable to interview you this year, we would suggest you consider reapplication if you are not accepted to another medical school. Reapplication should occur only after consideration and consultation of how to strengthen your profile.

We recognize and regret the disappointing nature of our decision and we wish you the best of luck in your future plans.

Do we think this tab means you're on the waitlist now? Or is "alternate list" just the evolutionary phase between "hold for possible future acceptance" and the actual waitlist?

Do we think this tab means you're on the waitlist now? Or is "alternate list" just the evolutionary phase between "hold for possible future acceptance" and the actual waitlist?
The alternate list is the waitlist

Just received a very pleasant rejection in the portal. Worded far nicer than the other schools I've gotten the axe from.

Got alternate tabs as well. Is anything binding if we get accepted off the wait-list? I got accepted at another school and would have to give it some thought if I were to accept this wait-list spot and somehow get in.

Alternate list as well. Honestly, wasn't sure I'd even get an interview so I am pleasantly surprised to be considered this far and happy to wait! Good luck to everyone else still waiting!!!

Pre-II rejection. Has anyone got a notification like this? It sounds really sincere, and as someone who just didn't receive any II's this cycle this is actually a rejection letter that didn't make me feel like total crap.

Your file has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee. The overwhelming numbers of applications have made it simply impossible to interview all of the candidates who may be qualified to attend medical school. At this time, we are out of interview space and regret that we are unable to interview you.

The review of your file indicates that you have some fine qualities. While we are unable to interview you this year, we would suggest you consider reapplication if you are not accepted to another medical school. Reapplication should occur only after consideration and consultation of how to strengthen your profile.

We recognize and regret the disappointing nature of our decision and we wish you the best of luck in your future plans.

So is the consensus that there are two different rejection messages? With the second sort of being like a "very interested" rejection status.

Just received a very pleasant rejection in the portal. Worded far nicer than the other schools I've gotten the axe from.

I am glad they took a different approach! Rejections are rough and they definitely did a good job of easing the pain. Best of luck to all still in the running and congrats to the accepted!

have alternate tabs! this is my fourth waitlist this cycle but honestly i'm okay with it because i really liked this school and would love to go here! from earlier posts, it seems like they had a lot of movement off the list last year. was this an anomaly or is this pretty typical for vcu?

have alternate tabs! this is my fourth waitlist this cycle but honestly i'm okay with it because i really liked this school and would love to go here! from earlier posts, it seems like they had a lot of movement off the list last year. was this an anomaly or is this pretty typical for vcu?
Typical because they are so conservative with their acceptances. Normally, schools will send 2-3 acceptances per seat available to ensure that they can fill up their class but VCU likes to take people off the waitlist to fill in any open spots.