2017-2018 Virginia Commonwealth University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks! Yeah my portal has been updated with the info but there just doesn't seem to be a lot of info on portal for next steps besides paying deposit under the Matriculation form. That's why I was wondering if more details or info would be sent through mail.

No problem! Congrats I think!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! Yeah my portal has been updated with the info but there just doesn't seem to be a lot of info on portal for next steps besides paying deposit under the Matriculation form. That's why I was wondering if more details or info would be sent through mail.

Did you interview before the 16th? Or did you just recently interview?

Did you interview before the 16th? Or did you just recently interview?
Interviewed 10/11. Accepted on 10/16. Was just wondering if more info will be sent out in mail for those who have been accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the "Hold for Grades/MCAT" update today. Hopefully its a good sign like it was for others.

Complete 7/5

edit - I do have a summer course that I finished in August. How do we update them about grades just in case?

Interviewed 10/11. Accepted on 10/16. Was just wondering if more info will be sent out in mail for those who have been accepted.
Ah, gotcha! Thanks man--I was just curious becuase I interviewed right after the 10/16 cutoff :)

Got the "Hold for Grades/MCAT" update today. Hopefully its a good sign like it was for others.

Complete 7/5

edit - I do have a summer course that I finished in August. How do we update them about grades just in case?
Send to AMCAS, or you can also send directly to admissions (but I think AMCAS might be faster). I had the hold status first for a couple days and I realized I never sent my summer transcripts either. Once I sent them, got the very interested status after 2-3 days.

Send to AMCAS, or you can also send directly to admissions (but I think AMCAS might be faster). I had the hold status first for a couple days and I realized I never sent my summer transcripts either. Once I sent them, got the very interested status after 2-3 days.
Did you send them through AMCAS? My school does snail mail transcripts so it could take a few weeks

Has anyone received the very interested status and then received an interview after?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you send them through AMCAS? My school does snail mail transcripts so it could take a few weeks
I sent it both ways, just in case. AMCAS digitally then snail mail to VCU directly. But snail mail probably took 1-2 days cuz my school is IS and they sent it the same day.

Has anyone received the very interested status and then received an interview after?

lol that's usually how it goes (VI -->II). but lately a lot of people have been sitting on very interested for weeks if not over a month waiting for interview slots to open up. Word on the street is VCU got >10,000 applicants this year and are reducing their class size from ~220 to ~180 or something. But as more interviewees are getting accepted and decided to go elsewhere, I think more VIs might get converted to IIs in the coming weeks...

Reactions: 1 users
Status updated to "Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates."

Hope this is good news...

Members don't see this ad :)
Status updated to "Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates."

Hope this is good news...
When were you complete?

I have the hold status currently but am up to date on grades and mcat since I have already graduated. i called them and they said it's just a "general message" they out but that didn't make sense to me.

I have the hold status currently but am up to date on grades and mcat since I have already graduated. i called them and they said it's just a "general message" they out but that didn't make sense to me.
I had the similar "your file may be put on hold for the following reasons" status written under my "the sub-committee will do a review" for a day before it turned into the "very interested" message. So it is a general message, especially since my MCAT and grades were up to date, too. I think they're just saying your file *may* be on hold, not that it is 100%.

I just withdrew my application, OOS. Submitted my secondary in August and have had no updates to the portal since. Good luck to everyone still in consideration!

Reactions: 2 users
Are any of you guys alumni of VCU/currently attending VCU? I graduated in May and I was curious about the application process from that point of view.

Last edited:
@Dean Mission Does VCU frequently offer any scholarships to students and do you know how much amount is typically given? Do they have any full-tuition scholarships available?

Has anyone complete mid August or later gotten an II yet?

The very interested status is going to be the death of me

Based on the last two years of threads and what DeanMission mentioned earlier, more IIs should be going out in mid/late November. Look forward to those early holiday presents!

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone complete mid August or later gotten an II yet?

I was complete like super early sept and got an interview about 3 weeks later, I think. Definitely within the first week of October.

74, IS, ORM

Very interested status today after being under review for 3 months

Reactions: 3 users
i got an II 1.5 months ago, but the first available date was at the end of january 2018. should i email the admissions office to see if they have any openings for earlier slots?

@Dean Mission Does VCU frequently offer any scholarships to students and do you know how much amount is typically given? Do they have any full-tuition scholarships available?

During interview day, they mentioned they offered a substantial scholarship to the last student who gets off the waitlist and enrolls in the class...

Apologies if this question has been asked ad nauseum (I'm a bit late to the game), but is there a consensus on how these "very interested" status updates should be read? After scanning through this years' thread, along with last years', it seems like very similar to George Washington's "on-hold for interview invite consideration".

Apologies if this question has been asked ad nauseum (I'm a bit late to the game), but is there a consensus on how these "very interested" status updates should be read? After scanning through this years' thread, along with last years', it seems like very similar to George Washington's "on-hold for interview invite consideration".

At this point (since it is early), it is likely that you will get an interview. However, it seems that many people have the "very interested" status for 3+ weeks before hearing anything again.

i got an II 1.5 months ago, but the first available date was at the end of january 2018. should i email the admissions office to see if they have any openings for earlier slots?

you could. I would.

Does anyone know what the minimum number of years are for the VCU MD/PhD program? Their website says 4 years of med school and 4 years of grad school for total of 8 years, but I don't know if this is absolute. Can their MD/PhD be completed in 5, 6 or 7 years?

Does anyone know what the minimum number of years are for the VCU MD/PhD program? Their website says 4 years of med school and 4 years of grad school for total of 8 years, but I don't know if this is absolute. Can their MD/PhD be completed in 5, 6 or 7 years?

Do you really expect to complete a PhD in 1-2 years? Good luck with that.

7 years should be doable but if you want to explore your research passions it would likely take at least 3 years, if not 4-6.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

7 years should be doable but if you want to explore your research passions it would likely take at least 3 years, if not 4-6.

Exactly. 7 years is fine. Completing it in 1-2 years sounds absurd. Are there really programs that allow MD/PhD to be completed in <7 years?

Exactly. 7 years is fine. Completing it in 1-2 years sounds absurd. Are there really programs that allow MD/PhD to be completed in <7 years?
I've heard of a few 2 year cases but the thesis defense usually isn't super comprehensive. 3-5 is what I would shoot for, especially after the stories I've heard from my md/PhD interviews thus far.

3-5 (erring towards 4-5) years is definitely on par with what I was told by the Associate Dean of Admissions, among other faculty members, and a qualitative look at class sizes on the MD/PhD Current Students on their website.

Also, your project length is affected by many factors like prior experience, discipline/model, PI/committee, and hours spent. VCU doesn't seem to lend much/any leniency to MD/PhD students as compared to traditional PhD.

Last edited:
Does VCU accept updates? P.S. sorry if this has been asked one million times

Sorry, I mistakenly thought the Cleveland Clinic Lerner program gave a PhD and thought it was possible :rolleyes: But yeah, you're right. It looks like the minimum to get a good PhD and MD would have to be 7. I also came across this thread that talks more about it: MD/PhD in 5-6 years

Last edited:
Received the "very interested" status on Monday. Hopefully a good sign!

Received the "very interested" status on Monday. Hopefully a good sign!

+1, complete 9/26

I was really excited, and then I read some old threads. :( I guess it's not a promise, but at least there is still time...right? :/

+1, complete 9/26

I was really excited, and then I read some old threads. :( I guess it's not a promise, but at least there is still time...right? :/
I just don't understand why they'd give this status if there wasn't a very high likelihood of getting interviewed. For that reason I'm very optimistic about my very interested status :)

I just don't understand why they'd give this status if there wasn't a very high likelihood of getting interviewed. For that reason I'm very optimistic about my very interested status :)

Oh good, stay optimistic. I've been in this game for too many years that I've taken a page from Marvin the Paranoid Android - This will all end in tears. I just know it.

At least I always enjoy the secondaries that I've filled out with them. Very standard, but still very interesting scenarios. Please never make us do CASPer, please please.

Oh good, stay optimistic. I've been in this game for too many years that I've taken a page from Marvin the Paranoid Android - This will all end in tears. I just know it.

At least I always enjoy the secondaries that I've filled out with them. Very standard, but still very interesting scenarios. Please never make us do CASPer, please please.
Haha I hear ya, this is my second go around and if I don't stay somewhat optimistic I'd likely go crazy