2017-2018 Virginia Commonwealth University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you for the update, Dean Mission!

I was wondering what this would mean for people that have held the “very interested” status for almost two weeks. Should we anticipate an invitation very soon?

+1 to this. Have had the “very interested” message for a few weeks now so hopefully this is good news!

Members don't see this ad.

Well.... I was complete early July and I'm still waiting to have ANY status change....
Did the person assigned my app die?

Reactions: 7 users
very interested status as well :) i don't want to raise my hopes too much but optimistic nonetheless

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Status changed to file review complete this morning. Took 4 months, but its progress.

Finally got a status update, at least I'm complete and not out-right rejected lmao

Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates.

Finally got a status update, at least I'm complete and not out-right rejected lmao

Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates.
When were you complete?

I feel like this was answered earlier in the thread, but I am unable to find it. Around what time do acceptances go out tomorrow?

I feel like this was answered earlier in the thread, but I am unable to find it. Around what time do acceptances go out tomorrow?

6:00 EDT. Thankfully for me, I'm in a different time zone so the wait won't feel as long. Still going to be an anxious/nervous wreck at work the whole day though lol

Let the hunger games begin. Let's see which one of us are the first lucky ones out of the four decision dates

Reactions: 2 users
I have new tabs up on my portal including matriculation form and pay enrollment fee, but my status still says my application is on hold. Does this mean that I have been accepted?

I have new tabs up on my portal including matriculation form and pay enrollment fee, but my status still says my application is on hold. Does this mean that I have been accepted?

ahh dang it. I'm still on hold. Guess that's a sign :'(

Congrats to you!!

Members don't see this ad :)
i live in richmond - how often do you guys think i should be sending them ITA emails

edit: this was meant as a neurotic, desperate joke

is Richmond smaller than Charlottsville and Norfolk? Never been to VA just wondering what it's like over there :)

I also have the same. I'm trying not to get too giddy because @Dean Mission and Dr. Whitehurst-Cook mentioned 6 PM as the release time on interview day. Everyone made it appear that this was a solidified time. It might be a computer glitch, but who knows.

is Richmond smaller than Charlottsville and Norfolk? Never been to VA just wondering what it's like over there :)

I've lived in all three cities. To me, Charlottesville feels the largest. I can't say for sure about Richmond and Norfolk, but Richmond as a city "feels" larger.

I've lived in all three cities. To me, Charlottesville feels the largest. I can't say for sure about Richmond and Norfolk, but Richmond as a city "feels" larger.

is there a difference in the culture between south/mid/northern VA? or is it all pretty much the same within the cities?

is there a difference in the culture between south/mid/northern VA? or is it all pretty much the same within the cities?
Southern VA usually very conservative. Northern VA more liberal. Mid Va in the middle.

They definitely all have their own vibe.

Charlottesville is my favorite (forget what's been going on as of late...). It's very... laidback, outdoorsy, and down-to-earth in my opinion. Lots of wineries, breweries, history, hiking.

Richmond is also outdoorsy (near the James River) but has a hipster twist too (art and music).

Norfolk is its own thing. Lots of breweries, festivals... I know that's not helpful but it's hard to differentiate Norfolk. It's closer to the ocean. Has a tendency to flood a lot haha.

Reactions: 1 users
I, too have lived in all 3 cities and I'm pretty sure the size goes like: Norfolk, Richmond..............................................Charlottesville.

Main differences are pretty accurate above, but I'll elaborate.
Charlottesville is relatively small, and aside from the university, there isn't much there as far as people. That being said, for such a small city, there's a lot to do. And it's kinda nice because everything is in walking or cycling distance so there's little need for a car unless you're leaving the city, or unless you need to go to Walmart or Target which for some reason are like 15-20 miles away lol. Definitely the LEAST diverse of the 3. Very stratified, as far as race & SES. Lots of outdoorsy stuff, hiking, cycling, wineries, etc.
Richmond is full of history, and also a lot to do. Very hipster, but Cville can be, too. Probably most diverse out of the 3 cities, but Norfolk has its share as well. Richmond has some bad areas, but most of those areas have been gentrified in the past 10 years. So if you like gentrification (and hipsters), Richmond is the place.
Norfolk is the most urban area, but has some pretty nice parts (like Ghent/EVMS and ODU area). It also has some pretty rough parts. Of the 3, I actually prefer Norfolk because I like water. VA Beach is not far, and there's six other cities within ~30 miles so if you can't find fun stuff in Norfolk, drive to VA Beach, Chesapeake, Hampton, etc. and bound to find some activities.

I, too have lived in all 3 cities and I'm pretty sure the size goes like: Norfolk, Richmond..............................................Charlottesville.

Main differences are pretty accurate above, but I'll elaborate.
Charlottesville is relatively small, and aside from the university, there isn't much there as far as people. That being said, for such a small city, there's a lot to do. And it's kinda nice because everything is in walking or cycling distance so there's little need for a car unless you're leaving the city, or unless you need to go to Walmart or Target which for some reason are like 15-20 miles away lol. Definitely the LEAST diverse of the 3. Very stratified, as far as race & SES. Lots of outdoorsy stuff, hiking, cycling, wineries, etc.
Richmond is full of history, and also a lot to do. Very hipster, but Cville can be, too. Probably most diverse out of the 3 cities, but Norfolk has its share as well. Richmond has some bad areas, but most of those areas have been gentrified in the past 10 years. So if you like gentrification (and hipsters), Richmond is the place.
Norfolk is the most urban area, but has some pretty nice parts (like Ghent/EVMS and ODU area). It also has some pretty rough parts. Of the 3, I actually prefer Norfolk because I like water. VA Beach is not far, and there's six other cities within ~30 miles so if you can't find fun stuff in Norfolk, drive to VA Beach, Chesapeake, Hampton, etc. and bound to find some activities.

I guess what I meant that in my opinion, there's 4x as much to do in "Charlottesville" (and neighboring Albemarle) as there is in Norfolk. Norfolk covers the largest square mileage, but besides downtown & the beaches, there's not much there. Again, totally subjective, but that's my 2c.

Yes. Probably more than most other states. Southern VA considers itself part of the south. So cultures, values, and religious beliefs are similar to, say, the Carolinas. Northern VA is basically an extension of DC so a lot more liberal. Central VA... depends on what city or county you're in. But I'd say most cities (like the rest of the US) lean toward liberal side, whereas all surrounding counties are CONSERVATIVE as hell and southern in culture & dialect.

I think so! I was refreshing my portal neurotically and those tabs popped up for me too today (they didn't appear today until just now). I hope I'm not jinxing myself, but I think this is a good sign for the both of us.

I think so! I was refreshing my portal neurotically and those tabs popped up for me too today (they didn't appear today until just now). I hope I'm not jinxing myself, but I think this is a good sign for the both of us.
I have it too!

i have it too! :)

not to be a total richmond kiss ass BUT i truly believe richmond beats c-ville and norfolk. richmond as in just the downtown portion is quite small compared to more well-known cities (ex. dc or nyc) but it's neighboring cities/counties contribute a lot to the city overall. there's some state parks within 30 mins south of the city (towards midlothian) and if you go northwest to short pump you hit the 'bougie' side where there's great shopping. like others have noted, richmond has a lot to offer in terms of activities - it's a huge foodie destination, there's lots of biking/running/walking trails along the james, there's a few clubs downtown, huge bar scene in 'uptown', lots of breweries, and tons of cultural festivals happening throughout the year (greek, indian, asian, lebanese, etc.). my friends who go to school in c-ville say that there's always a lot more to do when they come to richmond. c-ville's downtown seems a lot 'smaller' since it doesn't have any high rises, but i do think it's comparable mile-wise. c-ville also has its famous apple orchards and in general nice mountainous areas. either way, richmond and c-ville are so close together (45 mins) that you can easily enjoy the unique aspects of each city during a day trip.

not to be a total richmond kiss ass BUT i truly believe richmond beats c-ville and norfolk. richmond as in just the downtown portion is quite small compared to more well-known cities (ex. dc or nyc) but it's neighboring cities/counties contribute a lot to the city overall. there's some state parks within 30 mins south of the city (towards midlothian) and if you go northwest to short pump you hit the 'bougie' side where there's great shopping. like others have noted, richmond has a lot to offer in terms of activities - it's a huge foodie destination, there's lots of biking/running/walking trails along the james, there's a few clubs downtown, huge bar scene in 'uptown', lots of breweries, and tons of cultural festivals happening throughout the year (greek, indian, asian, lebanese, etc.). my friends who go to school in c-ville say that there's always a lot more to do when they come to richmond. c-ville's downtown seems a lot 'smaller' since it doesn't have any high rises, but i do think it's comparable mile-wise. c-ville also has its famous apple orchards and in general nice mountainous areas. either way, richmond and c-ville are so close together (45 mins) that you can easily enjoy the unique aspects of each city during a day trip.

There's also this cool new tidbit coming to Richmond. I'm thinking it will bring a younger vibe to Richmond.

Facebook to build $1 billion data center in eastern Henrico County

And the 6 pm bell has sounded... anybody have a status change?

Nope, still got those extra tabs though. They'll probably email right??

Maybe they put those extra tabs onto every applicant's portal who was eligible for acceptance today?

Based on last years thread, those who were accepted received extra tabs on their portal. I think it is safe to say that those who have received these tabs have been accepted. I personally have not received these tabs so I guess I was passed over this round of acceptances.

It's a shame that the office is closed so we can't call them right now, but I suppose that could have been intentional. It may also take awhile for their potential emails to make it through their firewall.

Based on last years thread, those who were accepted received extra tabs on their portal. I think it is safe to say that those who have received these tabs have been accepted. I personally have not received these tabs so I guess I was passed over this round of acceptances.
Thank you for that information. I hope the tabs appear for you very soon!!!

+1 for the Notabs club. Really bummed. :unsure:

did anyone who didn't have tabs earlier in the day get them after 6 pm?

I wish I had some new tabs :confused:

i have it too! :)[/QUOTE
Better than a screen that says you're waiting to be reviewed!

Reactions: 3 users
pretty weird way of showing admissions decisions ngl

Reactions: 3 users
Withdrawn after getting accepted somewhere else. Was sitting on "your file has been reviewed" so no guarantees I opened up an II for someone but good luck regardless!

Reactions: 5 users
Finally got the courage to check and had the tabs with the Matriculation form and the payment thing! Honestly had no expectations this quickly since I interviewed 10/11. Amazed and ecstatic! Definitely my favorite school I've interviewed at and love the area. Hope it's no glitch and I am confirmed as accepted because it's a top 2 choice for me!!

Reactions: 5 users
No matriculation tabs or a rejection yet so the waiting festivities continue! Soooo how do I distract myself for 60 days?

Long time lurker here... I had the tabs yesterday and finally my status updated this morning. Accepted!! IS LizzyM 68-70. Interviewed in August after the file has been reviewed status (no very interested status). So happy! :soexcited:

Reactions: 11 users
It's with incredible gratitude and excitement that I can say I've been accepted!!!! I've been waiting for this day forever. Thank you VCU!!!!!

Reactions: 13 users