2017-2018 University of Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Briefly describe your most important exposure to clinical medicine.
Briefly describe your most satisfying experience related to community service.
What does it mean to you to enter into a profession?
1500 characters each

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
They are the same 3 questions as last year on the previous thread (service, clinical, enter profession) :) They also have a few questions just asking us to briefly explain our research, gap year, and encounters with adcom if applicable.

Last edited:
Any screening for this school or?

According to MSAR, they do not screen secondaries and all applicant receive a secondary.

I have not received a secondary yet either.

Edit: just received secondary

Last edited:
For their course requirements, what are "Inorganic" and "Organic Sciences?" I can't find info on the website.

For their course requirements, what are "Inorganic" and "Organic Sciences?" I can't find info on the website.

I'm interpreting the "Organic Sciences" as being their 8 hours of Biology requirement and the "Inorganic Sciences" as being Inorganic Chemistry, since there is an "Organic Chemistry" one. Might have to call to verify that.

Anyone applying from VA (or a neighboring state)? Do they have some preference for nearby states, or only Maryland?

Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!
Briefly describe your most important exposure to clinical medicine?
1500 characters each

How did people write the "most important experience" essays without just repeating your AMCAS? I'm struggling with these...

How did people write the "most important experience" essays without just repeating your AMCAS? I'm struggling with these...

Some creative rearranging. Emphasizing slightly different aspects of the same experiences.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I Received Secondary 7/10/17 - Most of these questions I've answered in my Primary. Do any of you have this same problem? If so, how are you going about answering them? Are you more descriptive about it, more examples. It says to briefly state things... but If I already did that in my Primary I'm not sure how to change this in the secondary... any suggestions??

I'm having the same issues. I added these in my experience and have stated them in my personal statement. I've run out of things to include or talk about. I ended up restating them in a different light. I'm trying to be more descriptive or give different examples, but I'm not sure if that is what they want.

They are the same 3 questions as last year on the previous thread (service, clinical, enter profession) :) They also have a few questions just asking us to briefly explain our research, gap year, and encounters with adcom if applicable.
Are these prompts for MD secondary?

Yes, but I didn't see the adcom encounters question on my secondary.. I have "what does it mean to you to enter into a profession" "Briefly describe a satisfying community service experience" "Most important exposure to clinical medicine" in addition to the ones previously mentioned.

When copy/pasting I left out a sentence in my gap year prompt that basically kills the flow of the entire paragraph and make me seem like I don't know how to properly write. Uh oh, might have messed up my chances with Maryland :eek:

There are 3 essays like the ones posted on the thread, but then there's a few extra general info questions about gap year, any encounters you have had with UMSOM adcom, and independent research. This is for the MD secondary

There are 3 essays like the ones posted on the thread, but then there's a few extra general info questions about gap year, any encounters you have had with UMSOM adcom, and independent research. This is for the MD secondary
Thanks.

Yes, but I didn't see the adcom encounters question on my secondary.. I have "what does it mean to you to enter into a profession" "Briefly describe a satisfying community service experience" "Most important exposure to clinical medicine" in addition to the ones previously mentioned.
Thanks

Any idea how far back I should go with the paid employment section? 3 years, 5 years, 10 years... I could be working on this thing for weeks.

Any idea how far back I should go with the paid employment section? 3 years, 5 years, 10 years... I could be working on this thing for weeks.
I thought anything after high school is more applicable -- not sure if that's right though.

Hey! I've been living in Baltimore for nearly a year (non-resident though) and am just considering applying here! Think it's too late? All my other secondaries are already in and this feels like a long shot... (509 MCAT 3.8GPA)

Hey! I've been living in Baltimore for nearly a year (non-resident though) and am just considering applying here! Think it's too late? All my other secondaries are already in and this feels like a long shot... (509 MCAT 3.8GPA)
yes you should definitely apply!! You live in maryland and have great stats haha why not

I don't think it's too late (I also have not yet submitted). Your MCAT is within the 25% percentile for the school so give it a shot if you have the funds.

Briefly describe your most important exposure to clinical medicine?
1500 characters each

For the clinical exposure promt...is it alright to discuss time in a clinical trial setting? I guess its really research, but that's where I get all my one-on-one patient contact.

sorry for the double post but... on
16a.) Are you submitting a premedical committee packet? Letter packet?

Is a "letter packet" just like a committee letter? I have no premed committee and am just submitting individual letters, so I say "no" right?

sorry for the double post but... on
16a.) Are you submitting a premedical committee packet? Letter packet?

Is a "letter packet" just like a committee letter? I have no premed committee and am just submitting individual letters, so I say "no" right?
I had a letter packet from my school but marked it as individual letters, and my letters did not get marked as received as a result. I contacted them and they said they consider letter packets to be a committee packet, as long as it is from someone associated with your school.

Does anyone know when Maryland starts sending out II?

I had a letter packet from my school but marked it as individual letters, and my letters did not get marked as received as a result. I contacted them and they said they consider letter packets to be a committee packet, as long as it is from someone associated with your school.
Ahh but mine are 3 from one school, 1 from a grad school, and 1 from a professional! So...not a letter packet?

Does anyone know when Maryland starts sending out II?
According to MSAR, UMSOM starts sending out IIs on September 1, 2017. Relatively late compared to other schools, but probably because a majority of its applicants are in-state.

Submitted my secondary! OOS applicant, so it might be a bit of a long shot. Good luck everyone!

MSAR says they don't accept online courses, but the University of Maryland website seems to make it sound as though they don't prefer them, but may accept them. I just have an online English class from my first degree and all my other pre-reqs are normal classes. Anyone have information about their policy regarding online courses?

Anyone know the % acceptance of in-state residents for UMD SOM? Also for % acceptance from undergrad UMD, College Park?

what do they exactly mean with "exposure to clinical medicine"? If I write about how I started volunteer days for my community clinic as a way for our clinical staff to get to know the homeless shelter patients, does that count?

what do they exactly mean with "exposure to clinical medicine"? If I write about how I started volunteer days for my community clinic as a way for our clinical staff to get to know the homeless shelter patients, does that count?
Yes, that is a good example as long as you were involved with the medical side. I think they are trying to see you observing clinical practices or even performing them; for example if you had scribe or medical assistant experience.

Yes, that is a good example as long as you were involved with the medical side. I think they are trying to see you observing clinical practices or even performing them; for example if you had scribe or medical assistant experience.

sounds good, thanks so much!

Does anyone know if the school is in a good or bad part of Baltimore?

There are no "good parts" or "bad parts" of Baltimore (at least not downtown) you could be on a really nice street and then two blocks later be in a super sketchy area. The school itself is about four blocks from a place called Lexington market which is where all the heroin addicts go for their fix.

Weeeeelll...

There are no "good parts" or "bad parts" of Baltimore (at least not downtown) you could be on a really nice street and then two blocks later be in a super sketchy area. The school itself is about four blocks from a place called Lexington market which is where all the heroin addicts go for their fix.

Lol Lex market is sketch af, especially at night, but during the day it's pretty harmless. I would generally say the same for the area right around the UMD medical campus. It's hard to explain, but there are some areas next to it that are fine (pig town) and some areas that I would avoid. I wouldn't like chill on the block, but I've been walking throughout the campus and it's alright. Night time is when you wanna be careful, and I do know that sometimes students get assigned garages that are kind of a hike down from the campus (like... toward lex market). They are certainly aware of the security needs of medical students (and considering their large schools of nursing and pharmacy, many many students) at their campus, as are any large institutions in Baltimore (Hopkins med, hopkins undergrad, and all the hospitals in Baltimore).

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Just received II. Generally, it's best to schedule the earliest possible interview right? Thank you.

I was complete 7/31. LizzyM 70.
First time applicant, in-state.

Congrats! And generally yes, although if it's inconvenient then just choose the first one that is convenient for you. A couple of weeks won't make a huge difference especially since you're one of the first IIs.

Just received II. Generally, it's best to schedule the earliest possible interview right? Thank you.
I was complete 7/31. LizzyM 70.
First time applicant, in-state.

Just received my first II too! Complete 7/25. LizzyM 72.80. First-time IS applicant and my first II :D
I was wondering the same thing, but I think since it's only a matter of a few days or a week and we are the first batch, just pick whatever is most convenient for you. I did not pick the very first date available, but a date in the week after. Maybe I'll see you there! Kinda nervous because it'll be my first interview and it's at my in-state school which is where my chances are highest at. Dang. Stoked anyways.
As an FYI for other people, the first interview date is 9/13/17. Interviews are only on Mondays and Wednesdays and start at 8:30am.

Reactions: 4 users