2017-2018 Kansas City University - Joplin Campus (KCU-COM Joplin)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted! Interviewed at the Joplin campus on 12/7 :) Loved the school. Good luck to others that interviewed!
I interviewed the same day in the morning group

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted!!!! Is there any sort of Class of 2022 facebook group? Can anyone also comment on where most students live? I just want to know how housing works and how much rent will be.

Reactions: 1 users
I was recently accepted to the Joplin campus, but after reading a bit I'm a bit worried. I didn't realize when applying that there are limited rotational sites for Joplin students.

I'm from Florida and a big attraction for me in this school was the fact that I'll have a chance of going back home for 3/4th year rotations since there are rotational sites in Florida. Since many people have been saying the administration is really receptive of student input, do you think they would make an exception and allow me to do my rotations at one of the Florida sites? Or would it be possible to send an email to the school asking if I can possibly attend the KC campus even though I applied for both?

Any insight is appreciate!

Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrew my acceptance here. I'm kinda bummed about it cause I really like this school. Best of luck to everyone here!

Sorry for the late responses. We are in the middle of finals. Expect more communication after Dec. 20

I was recently accepted to the Joplin campus, but after reading a bit I'm a bit worried. I didn't realize when applying that there are limited rotational sites for Joplin students.

I'm from Florida and a big attraction for me in this school was the fact that I'll have a chance of going back home for 3/4th year rotations since there are rotational sites in Florida. Since many people have been saying the administration is really receptive of student input, do you think they would make an exception and allow me to do my rotations at one of the Florida sites? Or would it be possible to send an email to the school asking if I can possibly attend the KC campus even though I applied for both?

Any insight is appreciate!

I wouldn't worry too much about the rotation sites right now. We still have 2 years before any students go anywhere so the rotation plans are primitive. They'll change depending on student interest.
On that note though, understand that the rotation sites are not the only places you can go. You can truly go wherever you want to, but the sites that they have listed are sites we have contracts with. What this means is that they guarantee spots for KCU students. If we don't have as many go there as we have spots they'll go to another student from a different school.
I'm pretty sure this is the way it works. Again though, I'm just a first year with limited knowledge on the rotation site deal.

Ahh that makes sense. So one of those hospital facilities you'd theoretically do all your inpatient based rotations there? Do you think there will be enough spots in Joplin for us to get the benefits of Freeman and Mercy being right there?

We've been told as of right now there are 130 spots for 162 students at Freeman/Mercy. Many students will want to go to their hometowns for rotations so if you want to do all your rotations in Joplin, you probably could.

To any first years - do most people live alone or with roommates? If you do have roommates, did you find them on the facebook group or another way?

I highly recommend living with roommates. Seriously. Students spend all day studying alone, and to come home to more loneliness would be just awful. Human interaction is good. My roommates are the only thing keeping me sane.
I met one of my roommates on a tour day and one on the facebook page. . Some students do live alone, most are older and have lived alone already before.

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry for the late responses. We are in the middle of finals. Expect more communication after Dec. 20

I wouldn't worry too much about the rotation sites right now. We still have 2 years before any students go anywhere so the rotation plans are primitive. They'll change depending on student interest.
On that note though, understand that the rotation sites are not the only places you can go. You can truly go wherever you want to, but the sites that they have listed are sites we have contracts with. What this means is that they guarantee spots for KCU students. If we don't have as many go there as we have spots they'll go to another student from a different school.
I'm pretty sure this is the way it works. Again though, I'm just a first year with limited knowledge on the rotation site deal.

We've been told as of right now there are 130 spots for 162 students at Freeman/Mercy. Many students will want to go to their hometowns for rotations so if you want to do all your rotations in Joplin, you probably could.

I highly recommend living with roommates. Seriously. Students spend all day studying alone, and to come home to more loneliness would be just awful. Human interaction is good. My roommates are the only thing keeping me sane.
I met one of my roommates on a tour day and one on the facebook page. . Some students do live alone, most are older and have lived alone already before.
When you say 130/162 spots, do you mean they are for KCU Joplin students?

We just had a Dean's meeting today - they're still trying to get this squared away. The goal of raising KCU Joplin was to fight the large physician shortage in this area, so there will be pressure for students to stay here and thus adequate spots for us.

If anyone is part of the Class of 2022 facebook group? I just want to be added in

Reactions: 1 user
I have gotten the link but someone needs to approve my request to join. I think any member can do this.
I believe it's only Keith King who can accept your request. It took like a week for me.

I have gotten the link but someone needs to approve my request to join. I think any member can do this.

I bet we can add you if you send us your name in a PM. I can try it if you want!

Was just added to the facebook group, requested on monday.

Members don't see this ad :)
So any advice for us first years/things you guys wish you knew when you started?

Does anyone know when orientation is? Or when classes begin? I can't seem to find the school's academic calendar

So I paid that big bad $1,000 deposit but for some stupid reason I'm still holding on to acceptances at ATSU Kirksville and RVU-SU. Any west coasters out there thinking about tornadoes or starting to get cold feet in general? :(
I feel scared to be so far from family and in a small town, but we will all have each other! I think going to medical school in general is scary because it’s such a big commitment. Also depending on where you live on the west coast a big earthquake is due lol can’t escape the natural disasters!

So any advice for us first years/things you guys wish you knew when you started?

- Everyone scared me with having to find a "new study method" and I was messed up for the first 4 classes trying to figure out how to study. Just study like you know how and tweak what you have been doing. That worked best for me.
- Find someone who is really good at flashcards and use them to test yourself.
- Grab practice Qs from BRS, Grays, Guyton and Hall etc. (These names will make more sense later)
- don't get wrapped up in grades.
- Get a group of friends that will ALWAYS grab a beer with you at 10am after a final (for good or bad).

Does anyone know when orientation is? Or when classes begin? I can't seem to find the school's academic calendar

For us, Orientation was the last week of July, classes began August 1st. I'd expect a similar timeline

For some reason SDN thought it no longer needed to update me when this thread was commented on. And here I thought the thread was dead :p

Ahh that makes sense. So one of those hospital facilities you'd theoretically do all your inpatient based rotations there? Do you think there will be enough spots in Joplin for us to get the benefits of Freeman and Mercy being right there?

Again, I'm basically taking a shot in the dark here, but I assume each site has certain preceptors who are more willing to teach in certain specialties. I'm unsure whether there will be enough spots at Freeman and/or Mercy. I've seen it mentioned a couple times in the recent past on SDN that all Joplin student will have the opportunity to rotate in Joplin, but it was mentioned by members who don't currently attend and were informed at interview.

So KCU Joplin is working on deals with Freeman, Mercy, Cox (Springfield, MO) and Via Christi (Pittsburg, KS) to have enough slots for all of our students to rotate locally. It's important to understand that our administration is committed to us having quality rotations for our 3rd year clerkships. That is hugely important for our medical education. As such, they have made sure that all the systems they have agreements with have quality didactics and other resources for our learning ability. We will also have didactics on campus every once in a while, so being within 1 hour of campus for clerkships is highly desirable. It also really helps out with finding a place to live since you can keep the same residence throughout school.

All of that being said, 4th year is a different animal altogether. There is plenty of time for audition rotations and elective rotations at pretty much whatever site your heart desires, so long as our clerkship coordinator can work out a deal (which they apparently almost always do). Don't worry too much about not getting an exotic away location for your clerkships. Some of the most desirable ones are overrun with students. At Freeman and Mercy (not 100% on the others) you will have more opportunities to actually participate in patient care rather than have a glorified shadowing experience. For example, there was a student at our accepted student day that was able to be first assist in his surgical rotation. That's pretty cool.

And here is the really important part:

Both Freeman and Mercy paid big bucks for KCU to expand into Joplin. They want us to be here. They <i> really </i> want us to be here. I don't think I can emphasize that enough. We are not an additional load on their medical education staff, we are who they want to see here. Physicians and hospital administration alike are super excited to have us in the area and have gone out of their way to support us. You just don't get that at a sunny California rotation site.

To any first years - do most people live alone or with roommates? If you do have roommates, did you find them on the facebook group or another way?

Get a roommate. I absolutely agree with @Mo'MedMules on this. If I don't have people around me when I'm not studying, I think I would just keel over and die. Well, hyperbole, but you get the point. I'm a Joplin native, so I have friends and family here, I'm even married! But it is still extremely hard to find time to spend with people, including those who live with you. Having people close at hand is really a wonderful thing. Sometimes you just want to be in the same room as another person even if you are too tired to do anything.

Also, it decreases living costs.

Finding people is probably best done on the facebook page. I have a few contacts in the area with some nice housing options and I'll try to get on your facebook page to post them as we get a little bit closer to you all looking for a place to live. Be prepared to be amazed at the low housing prices here, btw. We have one of the lowest costs-of-living in the country.

Is there a second look day?

There should be an accepted students day sometime in March. They will send out an email about it later.

Is there really zero night life in Joplin? I need a bar with some pool / darts / excitement every now and then..

It's not zero nightlife, we do have some bars, but it is nothing when compared to a larger city. Most places shut down by 10. Students still go out on the weekends together, especially after a big exam.

Is there really zero night life in Joplin? I need a bar with some pool / darts / excitement every now and then..

I live next to the bars downtown, they close at 1:15. JB's downtown has an outdoor stage that they get artists to play at. Last one I heard was Afroman. The bar GUITARS has a dance area that's pretty fun. Whiskey Dick's has karaoke every night and a small outdoor area with a stage (once they held a LGBTQ pirate night and it was the most fun I've ever had). There's also a pool bar... I can't remember the name. But it has like 5 pool tables and a salt shuffleboard table.
There's actually quite a variety in downtown Joplin. Infusion and Club 69 are higher end bars there, too. Several hookah/vape deals if you're into that.

I can promise you that you will NOT have to sit at home reading Robbins every weekend. :)

Another question, how many of you guys plan on going to the accepted students day? I jumped the gun a little and bought tickets to visit prior to that to look at housing so now I'm in a bit of a pickle as to whether or not to rearrange some stuff and visit then. Can any first years speak as to what you guys did on accepted students day? It seems like it's more for family or for students/family to get a look at the campus.
I'm going. My family definitely wants to see the campus
Also I can see people who interviewed in KC coming

Another question, how many of you guys plan on going to the accepted students day? I jumped the gun a little and bought tickets to visit prior to that to look at housing so now I'm in a bit of a pickle as to whether or not to rearrange some stuff and visit then. Can any first years speak as to what you guys did on accepted students day? It seems like it's more for family or for students/family to get a look at the campus.

Last year we took a tour of Joplin (it is really amusing to see what they decided was interesting enough to see on the tour, since I live here). We also took a tour of the school which at that point was not quite finished. You guys should get a full tour of the school. Lunch and breakfast were provided for us. People from different parts of the school (OMM, Clinical Medicine, Curriculum) spoke to us about what school would look like for us. We also had a chance to talk to a panel of current students (you guys get real Joplin students this time I would assume). They gave us some free stuff and had the bookstore open for purchasing branded items as well as pre-ordering medical kits (don't buy them from the school, more on that later).

Sorry if that seemed a bit rambly, let me know if you have any other questions.

Which airport do you guys use to fly into or near Joplin? I'm going to be coming from Florida and it seems that the two main airports are Springfield and Tulsa? (I interviewed at KC so I haven't visited Joplin yet).

But the tickets for those two airports are pretty expensive (idk if it's just for the March 10th weekend because of Spring break and stuff). There also weren't any non-stop flights, which is kinda annoying. I checked KC and the flights were cheaper and non-stop, but it's a longer drive to Joplin, so I'm not sure what to pick.

I plan on going home like once a month or once every two months, if I can, so I want to figure out the airport/flight situation for that too. I hope it's not always this expensive. Anyone have any info?

Which airport do you guys use to fly into or near Joplin? I'm going to be coming from Florida and it seems that the two main airports are Springfield and Tulsa? (I interviewed at KC so I haven't visited Joplin yet).

But the tickets for those two airports are pretty expensive (idk if it's just for the March 10th weekend because of Spring break and stuff). There also weren't any non-stop flights, which is kinda annoying. I checked KC and the flights were cheaper and non-stop, but it's a longer drive to Joplin, so I'm not sure what to pick.

I plan on going home like once a month or once every two months, if I can, so I want to figure out the airport/flight situation for that too. I hope it's not always this expensive. Anyone have any info?

There is a regional airport that has flights to Dallas/Fort Worth through American. It's still not a nonstop, but DFW has lots of flights that you can connect to, so it should only be two flights.

The best airports to look at for flying in/out of are Tulsa, XNA (Arkansas), MCI (KC). Springfield and Joplin airports are local and have to route through a hub to get you anywhere. I usually check out all 3 airports and find which is cheapest for any flight I go through. Sometimes Joplin is worth it just for the convenience, but be aware that bad weather usually cancels flights in/out. It's a bit annoying sometimes.

Anyone have tips for getting from Joplin to Kansas City within a day? I have an interview in Joplin scheduled for Feb. 8 and was hoping to go to KC for their campus tour on the 9th. I want to stay near the school for my interview (so maybe by the Economy Inn) but it looks like the Greyhound bus station is quite far. Is Uber reliable at all or should I look into renting a car?

Anyone have tips for getting from Joplin to Kansas City within a day? I have an interview in Joplin scheduled for Feb. 8 and was hoping to go to KC for their campus tour on the 9th. I want to stay near the school for my interview (so maybe by the Economy Inn) but it looks like the Greyhound bus station is quite far. Is Uber reliable at all or should I look into renting a car?

I used lyft and it was reliable. My driver even gave me a free tour around the campus. They gave me their number so that I could call them for a ride after the interview too.

I wouldn't want to uber over 2 hours

Maybe rent a car it's probably cheaper and more convenient.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Joplin, MO Crime Rates & Statistics

Can any current students comment on why Joplin gets an F for overall city safety? It looks like rates of burglary and theft are like alarmingly high, I was looking at houses and came across a little map of all the recent reported crimes. Am pretty spooked.

I asked a security officer this same thing when I arrived on campus - he said since we are bordering 3 other states (Okalahoma, Kansas, Arkansas) and in the crossroads of 2 or 3 big interstates (49, 44..) that it's an area for drug trafficking, and being in the meth capital of the US (Missouri) - you tend to get, "crappy people doing crappy things to other crappy people." He said as long as we stay out of drugs we're pretty safe. :)

I've only heard of 3 instances where classmates have had something stolen: one classmate left his car unlocked downtown, another classmate's BMW got broken into, and my friend's bike was stolen from outside his apartment complex.

As a female, I don't feel unsafe. If you are truly worried about safety, pick an apartment building with an indoor stairwell. All apartments downtown are indoor and the Plaza apartment complex near Rangeline is hyper-secure, gated all the way around. You really only go from school to home, and the school is super strict about security. I live in an indoor stairwell apartment and have had zero problems.

Joplin, MO Crime Rates & Statistics

Can any current students comment on why Joplin gets an F for overall city safety? It looks like rates of burglary and theft are like alarmingly high, I was looking at houses and came across a little map of all the recent reported crimes. Am pretty spooked.

I used that site to look up crime statistics for a different city and was curious about Joplin since I've lived here basically my entire life. I laughed out loud. I don't know where they come up with those grades, but I have never felt unsafe here in Joplin. If you are used to big city life and staying safe there, don't even worry about Joplin. Follow the standard don't walk around alone at night and stay away from the run-down area of town and you will be just fine.

I had a feeling my concerns were overblown. I'm leaning toward house as opposed to apartment, any input on an ideal location or specific neighborhoods? It's hard to get a feeling based on looking at a map what area would be safe, close to school, but maybe far enough removed to be more chill? I also don't know where most of the students live currently or will live and I don't want to end up too far and isolated somehow. Thanks for the response though!
That site ranks my current town of 231 people with an F for crime.

Hey man maybe you live amongst 230 criminals. But really, I know it's ridiculous. Plus I also read that Joplin gets an influx of like 200,000 people daily from the surrounding areas which basically just skews the numbers that gave it the F rating.
What are some of the places that don't receive an F? Most of the places I've checked so far have an F.

The other two places I interviewed at received an A- and C and my home town received like a B so I think that's maybe why I was concerned because my only other points of reference were definitely not an F
Oh ok I see. You'll be fine though. Most of these are probably non-violent crimes involving drugs or theft, and the probability of those affecting you are very minimal. I live in KC and it also received an F. I've been living here for almost 7 years, and I've never been a victim of anything other than my car getting hit in a parking lot once.

Hey all, Just got an email about Orientation. Is our separate from the KC campus? As in we will spend of all of Orientation week in Joplin yes?

I believe that is the case! I think our orientation is in Joplin!
Hey all, Just got an email about Orientation. Is our separate from the KC campus? As in we will spend of all of Orientation week in Joplin yes?

Yep, sounds like two weeks of stuff. July 16 @ 8am kick off

I had a feeling my concerns were overblown. I'm leaning toward house as opposed to apartment, any input on an ideal location or specific neighborhoods? It's hard to get a feeling based on looking at a map what area would be safe, close to school, but maybe far enough removed to be more chill? I also don't know where most of the students live currently or will live and I don't want to end up too far and isolated somehow. Thanks for the response though!

Several people live out in Duquesne, a small city (yes, it is actually classified a city with only 1,600 people) to the East of Joplin. The most important thing to know about the Joplin area is even at the worst traffic, your commute will only be 10-20% longer than normal. I drive 15 minutes to the school, 20 minutes on a really bad day.
Looking for a good neighborhood, just look for new buildings. Most of the area that was taken out by the tornado in 2011 has new houses being built. Most of them are in great neighborhoods. A new development just went in near 20th and Duquesne Rd. that might be worth looking into.

Found answer to my question.

Last edited:
Can anyone comment about how reliable uber/lyft is? I really don't want to spend the $150 for a rental car for 2 days but if it means I get to my interview and to the airport on time it might be necessary...

Can anyone comment about how reliable uber/lyft is? I really don't want to spend the $150 for a rental car for 2 days but if it means I get to my interview and to the airport on time it might be necessary...
Did you check with multiple car rental places? I bet you might find one that only makes you pay about half that for two days. Well that might also depend on the type of car you're trying to rent. Anyway, I just never totally rely on a Uber or Lyft for something that important.