2017 - 2018 Anesthesiology Residency Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has MGH or Brigham and Women's Hospital sent out invitations yet?....just wondering....

MGH yes, BWH apparently yes.

I too am sick of the silent rejections. Literally 80% of the programs I've applied to have not accepted or rejected me for an interview invite. Those odds are ****.

MGH yes, BWH apparently yes.

I too am sick of the silent rejections. Literally 80% of the programs I've applied to have not accepted or rejected me for an interview invite. Those odds are ****.

Its all a sick money making grab from the AAMC. ERAS is designed to rake in the cash. I expect to receive an invite or a rejection for every program that I apply to at some point since I pad money, silent rejections are BS.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
None of you will match! You will all scramble into family medicine in south dakota! Troll!!!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
If they rejected you now, they wouldn't be able to invite you later. Sure, some certainty would be nice, but at least there's a chance of an invitation coming later on.

If they rejected you now, they wouldn't be able to invite you later. Sure, some certainty would be nice, but at least there's a chance of an invitation coming later on.
Yes, that is why we don't send out rejections. We never know who we may end up inviting later for a multitude of reasons (reconsider their app, get an email rec from a common acquaintance).

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, that is why we don't send out rejections. We never know who we may end up inviting later for a multitude of reasons (reconsider their app, get an email rec from a common acquaintance).

That, and up to 15-20%+ of our later applicants will cancel their interviews which opens up more spots.

how does this whole swap thing work?.....I am little confused. Can I literally swap my interview with an interview from another program, even if I haven't gotten an interview from that program yet......or only swaping the dates within the same program?

True, but by the end of November and after it starts becoming clear some applicants will not be receiving interviews. They need to be sent an email or notified through ERAS. This is the same as applying for medical school, once they have your money they don't care any more.

I got three more interviews this week, two of them from bigger name programs. My interview invites are starting to increase slowly.

how does this whole swap thing work?.....I am little confused. Can I literally swap my interview with an interview from another program, even if I haven't gotten an interview from that program yet......or only swaping the dates within the same program?

Switching interview dates with another applicant within the same program.

That, and up to 15-20%+ of our later applicants will cancel their interviews which opens up more spots.

Wake Forest insta-rejected me. It's competitive but not that much so. Duke didn't. Duke has had the opportunity to insta-reject me as well. Is it because they want to string us along? The logic is baffling.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, Wake Forest got me too, as did Kentucky, another good but not especially competitive program. This process is starting to seem as arbitrary as 3rd year clerkship grades.

Yeah, Wake Forest got me too, as did Kentucky, another good but not especially competitive program. This process is starting to seem as arbitrary as 3rd year clerkship grades.

Yea, definitely not an entirely objective process. I haven't heard from Kentucky yet, but would love to get an interview there.

Wake Forest insta-rejected me. It's competitive but not that much so. Duke didn't. Duke has had the opportunity to insta-reject me as well. Is it because they want to string us along? The logic is baffling.

Yeah, they got me, too.

I've been watching Thalamus to rearrange some interviews and two slots just opened up for Kentucky, so keep those hopes up!

So I was placed on waitlist at some of my dream schools and they are highly ranked schools. Is there much hope for movement on the waitlist at top programs?

So I was placed on waitlist at some of my dream schools and they are highly ranked schools. Is there much hope for movement on the waitlist at top programs?

Got placed on one waitlist, never got off.

So... are "love letters" to programs even worth it? There are about 3-4 programs I'm competitive for and would LOVE an invite from. Would sending a brief email going to help or hurt me?

True, but by the end of November and after it starts becoming clear some applicants will not be receiving interviews. They need to be sent an email or notified through ERAS. This is the same as applying for medical school, once they have your money they don't care any more.
Have been reading the threads from last year. Don't worry, plenty of rejections on the way really soon. Really think you're making a big deal out of nothing though. Quite frankly all I read when I get a rejection is: "How dare you waste our time with this garbage?!?" On the other hand, if I don't hear from the program I picture this: "we were thinking about your app, but just didn't have enough spots to interview you."

Hey guys, super late to the party but barely made it. Quick question should I jump ship as much as I don't want to in terms of getting interviews since I have only gotten two, but I am a DO student with abover average COMLEX scores and below average STEP scores. I have only one anes LOR since did not think Anesthesia would be something I would love until the month before apps went out in September. Could not schedule any other rotations until next month and the following two months, but not sure if that is way too late to get a letter and even if I did not sure it would make a difference. Hopes are pretty whimsical at this point, but I applied to 60-70ish gas programs and a bunch of IM programs (30+ since that was originally what I thought I wanted to do). Freak out mode is coming with November around the corner, but figured it wouldn't hurt too much to see what you guys think.

Hey guys, super late to the party but barely made it. Quick question should I jump ship as much as I don't want to in terms of getting interviews since I have only gotten two, but I am a DO student with abover average COMLEX scores and below average STEP scores. I have only one anes LOR since did not think Anesthesia would be something I would love until the month before apps went out in September. Could not schedule any other rotations until next month and the following two months, but not sure if that is way too late to get a letter and even if I did not sure it would make a difference. Hopes are pretty whimsical at this point, but I applied to 60-70ish gas programs and a bunch of IM programs (30+ since that was originally what I thought I wanted to do). Freak out mode is coming with November around the corner, but figured it wouldn't hurt too much to see what you guys think.

I'm in a pretty similar situation and also freaking out. Not sure what to do.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Do you have an ICU letter? I would think an ideal mix of letters would be one anesthesia, one medicine, and one ICU. Maybe throw in surgery if you have 4.

How many people generally match to their first choice in anesthesia?

Sorry you're in this situation. What's your question mean, "should I jump ship"? How many IM interviews do you have? I'm assuming your two interviews are for anesthesia?

How many people generally match to their first choice in anesthesia?

In the match in general, about half match to their first choice, a quarter match to their second, and an eighth match to their third choice. As far as I know things are no different in anesthesia. If anything the odds are slightly better of matching to the top choice as this isn't a competitive specialty.

In the match in general, about half match to their first choice, a quarter match to their second, and an eighth match to their third choice. As far as I know things are no different in anesthesia. If anything the odds are slightly better of matching to the top choice as this isn't a competitive specialty.

Agree with this. According to 2017 Match data, programs needed to rank 8.4 applicants in order to fill one PGY-1 anesthesia position and 22 applicants in order to fill each PGY-2 position. This is high when compared to most other specialties; only radiology, IR and medicine were higher.

Do you have an ICU letter? I would think an ideal mix of letters would be one anesthesia, one medicine, and one ICU. Maybe throw in surgery if you have 4.

Yeah, I currently have one medicine (plenty of medicine letters), one anesthesia, one ICU (from a SICU - Trauma/Burn), and possibly get a fourth this upcoming month or thrown in my surgery letter. Not sure what is the best thing to do.

Sorry you're in this situation. What's your question mean, "should I jump ship"? How many IM interviews do you have? I'm assuming your two interviews are for anesthesia?

I have about 7-8 IM (categorical) interviews and 2 Anesthesia interviews. The main question was how realistic is matching into Anesthesia with lack of interviews at this point in the season. On top of that one of the anesthesia interviews is one of the few advanced programs and in applying IM at the same time I did not apply to any prelims which I am currently doing now.

Applying to advanced programs and no prelim programs sounds like a great decision.

It wasn't a great decision, but it probably won't work out too badly. If you match advanced without matching to a prelim year, either the program you're going to or your home institution can usually find a spot for you. If not, there are always surgery prelim years available in the SOAP. They're often pure scutwork at undesirable locations, and they're dead ends if you don't have the rest of your residency lined up, but in the worst case, you do one of them and it'll only be a year.

How much if any education should we expect in the intern year of a categorical program?

How much if any education should we expect in the intern year of a categorical program?

Probably program specific, but you'll get quite a bit of an education. My home program basically hands it's interns off to IM for the year, so they get the same education as any other medicine intern. In other words, almost half the knowledge of a full IM residency. Intern year at one of my away rotations was six months of medicine and six months of surgery, with a few weeks of anesthesiology thrown in to remind the interns what the end goal is. The other away rotation was more of a mix, with some medicine, surgery, and critical care. Intern year with them was only ten months or so long, extending CA1 year, which sounds like a good trade.

I enjoy my daily email saying a spot has opened from the waitlist on thalamus, and then 2 minutes later its full because you guys are so much faster than me lol its a sick game they make us play!

Declining some invites right now. Can someone do the same for me at Tufts? Thx.

Question:

I come from a top 10 school on west coast, decent stats and now thinking of a specialty change. At this point, what is the likelihood of submitting an Anesthesiology app and getting some interviews? I know it's late in the cycle, which is why I wouldn't at all be picky with programs (anywhere would work).

Any thoughts?

I worked with a resident who switched from OB to gas at about this time of the year, in the middle of her interview season. She'd already done a month of anesthesia and she was able to go back to one of the doctors she'd worked with to get a LOR. She said she had average stats and got enough interviews. You will need to have a good explanation why you wanted to switch and why most of your LORs are for a different specialty, but anesthesiology is probably the most switched-into specialty, so you'll probably be all right.

Question:

I come from a top 10 school on west coast, decent stats and now thinking of a specialty change. At this point, what is the likelihood of submitting an Anesthesiology app and getting some interviews? I know it's late in the cycle, which is why I wouldn't at all be picky with programs (anywhere would work).

Any thoughts?

Barring a severe red flag (jail time, felony conviction), it would be a rare fluke for anybody from a top 10 school not to match anesthesia.

I worked with a resident who switched from OB to gas at about this time of the year, in the middle of her interview season. She'd already done a month of anesthesia and she was able to go back to one of the doctors she'd worked with to get a LOR. She said she had average stats and got enough interviews. You will need to have a good explanation why you wanted to switch and why most of your LORs are for a different specialty, but anesthesiology is probably the most switched-into specialty, so you'll probably be all right.

Already sounds like they have a good reason to me

anyone with below average stats all around (steps, clerkship grades etc) struggling for interviews? Im beginning to lose hope. I do understand its competitive out there, trying to gauge how its going for the people. Im from a west coast top 40 school.

Already sounds like they have a good reason to me

Yeah, I doubt any anesthesiologists questioned her reasoning too much. No matter how much my OB/GYN PA wife gushes about the miracle of birth, to me it still looks like a wet dog trying to get in through the cat door.

US Caribbean IMG here. Step 1 228, Step 2 251. Applied to 80 programs and received 2 interview invites thus far. Applied to most of the programs someone from my school matched in the last few years. What should I expect? When should I start sending out emails of interest?

US Caribbean IMG here. Step 1 228, Step 2 251. Applied to 80 programs and received 2 interview invites thus far. Applied to most of the programs someone from my school matched in the last few years. What should I expect? When should I start sending out emails of interest?
Interview invitations have dried up for me as well recently. Anecdotally speaking: I only emailed one program, asking for information before I applied to it. Got tired of waiting for an answer and applied to it anyways; they invited me to an interview the next day. So I think it does help. But I really have no real excuse to email any other programs haha (hey, I am interested in you because..... your program sounds cooler than others I guess, inv me please?!?).

Last edited:
anyone with below average stats all around (steps, clerkship grades etc) struggling for interviews? Im beginning to lose hope. I do understand its competitive out there, trying to gauge how its going for the people. Im from a west coast top 40 school.

My stats are average and I'm struggling for interviews. I'm pretty worried also and wondering what is wrong with my app. Hopefully we get some love soon.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Could this be because you guys don't have posted Step 2 scores? They're one of the weird programs that require Step 2 scores for interviews (per AMA frieda)

No, I had them posted from the beginning. I most likely got rejected because of my low Step I scores.